HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXV - I'll see you in court!

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 10:30 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Sounds like Incarcerated Bob, another rumor-monger who threatens people that dare disagree with him.

dater's stuff is damning enough, and after tonight I'm sure it won't be the last we heard of discontent in the union. For a supposed union master, Fehr's getting PUNKED by Gary.
Fehr only played one card as union leader of the MLBPA and he only could use it because he was negotiating against Bud Selig. Fehr's strategy with baseball was say no, say no and then threaten strike late in the season after the players have collected most of their checks and threaten the payoffs (the money maker for a league). The only lockout he has had to dealt with was back in the days Fey Vincent as commissioner acted like a mediator and not a CEO of a league (and thus was fired by Selig and company).

Old
12-06-2012, 10:44 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
So the NHLPA gets essentially EVERYTHING they want and yet they still decline?

We're sitting here on December ****ing 6th, and you're telling me the NHL's proposal wasn't good enough to get a season rolling? I'm supposed to believe that 5 year contract limits (you can re-sign guys to 7 years), a 10 year CBA deal (who wants to experience this again?), the stupid "make whole" agreement that meets the players at more than half way, is all not enough to get a ****ing season going? Apparently, I'm supposed to believe it, and then cheer like a mindless drone when these asswipes decide that they want to do their jobs again and play a game on a sheet of ice for millions of dollars.

The NHLPA got their deal, we could have a season right now. **** them. I give up.
They were ready to accept the deal, until Napoleon Fehr convinced them there was an even bigger pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, in a major miscalculation. Even some of the players 'with' him at the press conference seemed to know how much they ****ed up.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
They were ready to accept the deal, until Napoleon Fehr convinced them there was an even bigger pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, in a major miscalculation. Even some of the players 'with' him at the press conference seemed to know how much they ****ed up.
LOL Did someone really say that quote about ''We were ready to accept the deal until Don told us we could get more if we hold out''?

Old
12-06-2012, 11:03 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
LOL Did someone really say that quote about ''We were ready to accept the deal until Don told us we could get more if we hold out''?
Adrian Dater's an Avs beat writer, he had that quote. Anonymous 'depth player' may even put his name to it eventually (wasn't an Avs player), so yeah it was said...and makes sense given the shift in tone.

Speaking of beat guys, Russo from the Wild had some beauts today:

https://twitter.com/Russostrib

Quote:
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib
I don't like how Don Fehr strutted in front of the cameras with a BS "it's over" msg tonight. Played with fans heartstrings. It's shameful.

This league is being destroyed. Employees will face layoffs soon. This is not a game. Hope players realize whom they're listening to now

Players hire Fehr to potentially lose 100% of their salaries, precious time in a short career and decertify their union? #goodhire

Old
12-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Lebrun said this was embarrassing in their nightly recap on the TSN website. This league has no prestige at all anymore. It's a joke pretty much. A league where play just stops every so many years. It's like they come on, and off the ice as they please. I expect them to be back at it next week, but more rollercoaster BS.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:49 PM
VaxjoDevil

I thought Bettman's presser was really convincing and heartfelt. What do I know, but he sold his agenda pretty good to me. He seemed genuine and angry.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:58 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Yeah I think Bettman did a great job tonight. I feel it is genuine, but at this point, who knows.

Convinced Fehr blew this one when he insisted that he could get a better deal for the players, it looks like it may have backfired.

However, I still believe there will be a season. Whether it be the players ousting Fehr, or Fehr caving to the NHL's demands. Still don't believe either side is dumb enough to lose another season.

First week or two of January is the deadline, there really is not a reason why they can't strike a deal by then. Then again we are dealing with Fehr.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

If they lose a whole season, is it safe to say Fehr failed them? I could see if they sacrificed a season to get what they got on the last CBA, or to get an even better deal than that. Now if they lose a whole season AND have to take these cuts, hasn't Fehr FAILED them? With a big fat F?

Old
12-07-2012, 12:04 AM
HeliDevil
Legendary

I think so. But his goal was to keep the players from getting totally screwed, in their eyes, by the NHL. But the players don't seem to realize this is only hurting them financially and their public perception.

No matter what happens, the NHL wins. The sooner they realize this, the sooner this will all be settled.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

This is the first time I've been genuinely infuriated with this lockout because I finally bought in that this would be the end as did most following this

Things actually got somewhere without the ring leaders of both circuses around, signs of hockey coming back, hope for arena workers to have steady work again, hope for local businesses in every NHL city to be able to make ends meet again - all shot down by some jackass who has no interest in the sport whatsoever telling the players it isn't good enough - and then these so called hockey players get their balls sucked right back into that jackasses mouth

Russo is spot on, they hired this guy to make them not make money

Old
12-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

So if Fehr tells them to drink some poisonous kool aid do they do it?

Old
12-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Quote:
So if Fehr tells them to drink some poisonous kool aid do they do it?
I hope so, then maybe we'd get players who actually wanted to...you know, play.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

wtf...one minute im reading things are looking good and the next it's talks are off.

im tired of reading ******** after ******** on top of more ********. Just get something, anything done and lets get back to the sport we all love to watch.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:01 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

What exactly are the players going to get out of this that constitutes the "more" Fehr is reported to have promised?

What a gigantic waste of time

Old
12-07-2012, 05:46 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
By voicemail, holy ****

Might as well delete the last few pages of this damn thread.

-No further talks to be scheduled.
-No deal to be made in immediate future.
-"Somethings" off the table.
Wash, rinse and repeat. This is becoming a familiar pattern now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalvalchuk17 View Post
Unreal.
@adater: From deep inside players side: "We were ready to play again. But Don came in (Wed.) and told us we could get more and to hold out"
That is absurd. Fehr needs to be locked away from negotiations so the actual adults can get to a compromise deal. Bettman can be locked up with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Personal theory: Unnamed player @adater is referring to is Craig Adams. Heard it here first.
Wouldn't surprise me. He might also be the anonymous Player who writes for Puck Daddy occasionally.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:23 AM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

PA looks real bad after last night, mostly in part because their PR is ****ing shameful. However, take what the NHL has to say with a grain of salt as well. Bottom line here is that we're dealing with two sides who have nothing but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and personal agendas on their mind.

All I know is that I'm embarrassed to be associated with the NHL. As fans, what the hell do we have to be proud of?

Old
12-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Just watched Bettman's presser, and I have to say I have never seen him like that before. He seems actually pissed and frustrated down to the level of we fans are feeling. Don't get me wrong, I am the furthest from being a supporter of his, but him actually showing that kind of emotion was pretty neat to see.

Hypothetically, if Fehr wasn't part of the NHLPA (he became ED in 2009), would we have a deal by now?

Old
12-07-2012, 09:03 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

If Kelly or Saskin was leading the PA we absolutely would have a deal. That's why we're in this mess, the players want a fight not a deal.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Fehr needs to go. I wanna see any fan try to defend him now. If that player who said they had a deal, but Fehr told them to hold out was not BS, that says something. Fehr needs to go, and I'm largely convinced he, and Jacobs are the problem. Though Jacobs didn't seem to be the one to make things the way they are this week. Fehr did, and I can't see how a fan can defend this guy anymore. Not unless they're his grandson or something. To hell with this guy.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:50 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post
PA looks real bad after last night, mostly in part because their PR is ****ing shameful. However, take what the NHL has to say with a grain of salt as well. Bottom line here is that we're dealing with two sides who have nothing but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and personal agendas on their mind.

All I know is that I'm embarrassed to be associated with the NHL. As fans, what the hell do we have to be proud of?
The thing is that Bettman said it was about money, but that is why his presser was so good and believable. He said that the players have great facilities now and the league is healhtier than before. That has a cost to it and it doesn't pay itself. Players seem like pushing the envelope more and more for Fehr's promise of a better deal.

Since the lockout they've lost $500 million. With the wait from then to yesterday, they gained $89 to reach $389. Where is the money supposed to come from exactly? They aren't gaining anything anymore and talk of them fighting for the future or their rights is nonsense. They've tossed all that aside to make sure that they make as much money as possible.

Both sides fighting for $$$ but losing it with each day that goes by. Expect eyes to get wide open when they return.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Devil X
Next man up!

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:
Fehr needs to go. I wanna see any fan try to defend him now. If that player who said they had a deal, but Fehr told them to hold out was not BS, that says something. Fehr needs to go, and I'm largely convinced he, and Jacobs are the problem. Though Jacobs didn't seem to be the one to make things the way they are this week. Fehr did, and I can't see how a fan can defend this guy anymore. Not unless they're his grandson or something. To hell with this guy.
Dunno if i fully buy that it is Fehr that is the problem. I am not saying he doesnt share blame.

One thing that sticks in my mine is what Heisey said the comment about the owners say If Fehr was brought back it then it would be a deal breaker. My issue with that is simple these owners make deals like this all the time thats there job, the players DO NOT thats why they have agents. To me it seems like the owners were about to walk out with a one sided deal and knew if Fehr saw it that he would notice and tell them not to take it. Clearly thats all specuation on my part just something i noticed and didnt sit right with me.

The fact of the matter is the NHL doesnt want to move on the 5 yr 5% limit on contracts and the players want more in that area. I fully believe that until that gets ironed out we will not see hockey at all.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:08 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Fehr's brother was in the room, that's why that doesn't fly. Plus Daly clarified the 'deal breaker' was in reference to the player/owner format of the meeting.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

what is the NHL league minimum?

Old
12-07-2012, 12:41 PM
CerebralGenesis

Again it wasn't just 10 players naked in a room. They had a staff member there providing legal council. Hainsey and his story were taken out of context and doesn't check out as is.

Owners have an issue with the way that Fehr is going about these negotiations. It is all about stalling and posturing. Look at the proposals he made, 2 real proposals, 1 on a napkin, and 4 with the pages re-ordered and re stapled. Bettman talked about negotiating against themselves in his presser. It is the most obvious thing in the world to see. A deal should be reached shortly though. Ownership has made it blatantly clear what they need to see and once the players accept it and take the rest of the items on the CBA, we're done.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

I don't really care anymore. I'm starting to get to that point. I'll be back whenever they come back. For now I'm starting not to care though. Not many people involved in this process care about me or you. Why should I care about them? Hardly any of these players talk about the fans. They're talking about how the owners think they can break them apart, and that they stand behind Don. Like Nona has said, where is the concern for the paying customer?

I honestly was more sad after the SCF ended. It took a long time to adjust to not watching hockey, and the Devils after the long extended season. The most pathetic part is it seemed to take forever between early April, and early October 2011. After our shortest season in 15 years. This year we had by far the longest season since before the last lockout. Now the time in between our SCF season, and the start of the next, is just now eclipsing the time in between the season that we missed the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. That's pathetic.

Closed Thread