HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXV - I'll see you in court!

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 10:37 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

vCash: 500
yeah, but hockey fans are rabid, unlike baseball fans.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:41 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Even so - I don't sense the same itch to get back to the game like I did back in 04-05.

I see people who say they'll be back, but I don't see anyone excited to go to a game at this point.

And like I said, hockey has a much smaller demographic to work with than the MLB did.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:50 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Even so - I don't sense the same itch to get back to the game like I did back in 04-05.

I see people who say they'll be back, but I don't see anyone excited to go to a game at this point.

And like I said, hockey has a much smaller demographic to work with than the MLB did.
i'm itching to go to a game. then again, my life is so ****ed up right now, i could use anything positive.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:54 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:

If I go to a few games this year, it will be because prices on the secondary market are ridiculously depressed. lol

Old
12-10-2012, 12:04 PM
manilaNJ

I actually see the Devils being one of the teams to remain closest to its average attendance percentages.

As mentioned above, I think after Sandy and everything else that ensued, a lot of people are looking for something to rally behind. Sports are surprisingly good at bringing communities confidence back up.

And also, not many fans hold much against Lou or any of the players on the team at this point... so there isn't the sense of grudge that many Hawks/Bruins/Wild fans might be feeling right now.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:52 PM
manilaNJ

Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec
Finding that GMs are split on 5-year contract length. It might be Daly's "hill to die on," but not for some GMs.

Probably GMs who signed their name to front loaded deals and don't want the headache of untangling themselves.

Wouldn't be surprised if Lou was one of them. These are Kovy's peak contract years.
And he's already paid out the majority of the initial penalty.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:05 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

**** the kovalchuk penalty. ****ing ******** ********ing league.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Devils Nick30

I don't see the big deal on the 5/7 year contract lengths...it will barely even affect any players - especially after these insane deals are made illegal and most of the players that want them are already on them.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Devils Nick30

Quote:
Finding that GMs are split on 5-year contract length. It might be Daly's "hill to die on," but not for some GMs.

Probably GMs who signed their name to front loaded deals and don't want the headache of untangling themselves.

Wouldn't be surprised if Lou was one of them. These are Kovy's peak contract years.
It's not going to end contracts over 5 years in length retroactively though? I thought it was just new contracts.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:

It wont do much about Kovy. His contract will be grandfathered into the new CBA

Old
12-10-2012, 02:11 PM
selyar
Need cupcakes?

i am not itching to go to a game. i'm over it. i know i'll probably go, and eventually get back into it, mostly because we already paid for season tickets... but my heart isn't in it right now.

f 'em all.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:14 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Nick30 View Post
It's not going to end contracts over 5 years in length retroactively though? I thought it was just new contracts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
It wont do much about Kovy. His contract will be grandfathered into the new CBA
It's not his contract, it's the maneuvering around it. Sorry that I wasn't clear on that.
Most likely, there'll be something done about preexisting front loaded deals.

Plus a lowered cap, plus scaling back on contract years.. it's going to be messy out of the gate trying to assemble a winning, cohesive team.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

It will be the same way for other teams as well, but when hockey does come back eventually, it's going to be even harder than it was for Devils STH to get rid of those Tuesday night games against a team not named the Flyers, Rangers, or Penguins and then there is the potential for ticket prices to increase - we're going to see a lot of STH get driven away

The Devil/Ranger games and Retro game that many of us non STH go out of our way to make sure we get tickets for, that effort (for me at least) will not be there - if I can get tickets, I get em, if not I'm not going to go out of my way to make sure I am there

Old
12-10-2012, 02:42 PM
njdevil26

If teams are smart (the Devils are not) they will already have plans in place to try to keep as many STH as possible.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Zippy316

Yeah, they'd have to grandfather contracts into the new CBA.

The only GMs that are against 5 years are the low markets that hate to see top players locked up into contracts that only the bigger markets can afford. Teams like PHX, STL, FLA, the teams that can't afford to pay guys 11 and 12 million in years when their cap hit is significantly less.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

I'm absolutely itching to get back to games.. I personally don't see the point in punishing an already struggling franchise that is obviously against this lockout because it in no way benefits them to keep losing games and support.. A team that will never be a lock to stay here and needs good ownership that is confident in the fan base

It's funny because the rush teams are primarily the ones who stand to gain.. Yes, they'll have fans protest but they'll also have people in line waiting to buy those tickets and that merchandise.. They won't see too much of a hit, and will continue to lock out.. But the Devils feel the effects of losing fans more because of the smaller fan base, and thus will continue to be hurt by the rich teams forcing lockouts

Old
12-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Regardless if they have a seaon* this year or not, they've lost me as a paying customer. Not saying I'll never be back, but it certainly won't be this year one way or another. If you're on this board, your heart is likely with the team and all these ****ers have managed to do, imho, is take the heart out of the game. Well as they say, it's just business, and I'll be taking mine somewhere else until further notice.

The NHL can't have less than 48 games because then the season's "integrity" will be in question. How great is the irony there? Well **** you NHL and **** your bush league season too.

As I've said before, I HOPE this season is flushed down the toilet. Knowing the nature of hockey fans, they don't care how many games they get this season, just as long as something is played. In the event that these dicks manage to lose yet another season within the last ten years, I'd imagine a lot of people are going to be pretty pissed off and fed up and disgusted with this league. The idea is that fans don't have a voice but I don't agree with that. If enough people stay away, and for enough time, the NHL will certainly get the message. It's a fringe gate driven league. It's not a good idea to constantly piss off your customers.

For me, a lost season will be most damaging to both the players and the owners. And as far as I'm concerned, they both deserve nothing and should suffer the consequences for operating this way. It's disgusting. But hey, they'll just paint "Thank You Fans" on the ice and all will be well. Maybe they'll even change their ****ing logo again! Remember that? The font was placed upward to signal a new direction for the league. Yeah, that worked out well. If that's the case, the old logo makes much more sense.

I express the same sentiment of some other posters - **** em all.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:25 PM
aero8279

Quote:
Originally Posted by selyar View Post
i am not itching to go to a game. i'm over it. i know i'll probably go, and eventually get back into it, mostly because we already paid for season tickets... but my heart isn't in it right now.

f 'em all.
I can't second this enough. Exactly how I feel. I'll probably try to sell a bunch of games right off the bat.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
I saw an idea posed where the hockey fanbase completely ignores the first week or two weeks of games and I like that idea. It's concentrated so it's more noticed, and it'll get coverage, and it still allows the most hardcore of fans to only briefly inconvenience themselves of the love of the game. After that, go crazy, but for those first two weeks, empty seats.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:51 PM
HeliDevil
Legend

I like the idea but it just won't gain enough traction. Probably not enough to be noticed.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:01 PM
CerebralGenesis

They keep it up and there won't need to be any fan movement because there won't be any fans for awhile. Assuming that everyone that says that they are leaving actually do.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post
Regardless if they have a seaon* this year or not, they've lost me as a paying customer. Not saying I'll never be back, but it certainly won't be this year one way or another. If you're on this board, your heart is likely with the team and all these ****ers have managed to do, imho, is take the heart out of the game. Well as they say, it's just business, and I'll be taking mine somewhere else until further notice.
My question is who are you looking to punish here? Because you seem to be mad at the players and NHL, but your actions are directed at the Devils (who, by all accounts, are against this lockout and probably want it over with as badly as you do). It's punishing someone who sides with you but can't publicly say that.

The issue I see here is that a percentage of fans from every team will protest for at least some time. And I completely agree that a message to both parties is needed, but the problem is that the teams with some actual pull (the "rich guys" with monster fan bases who actually generate some revenue for this league) will not be as financially hurt by this as a team like the Devils will be. The STH who leave those teams will be replaced by others. Sales/Revenues may go down a bit for them, but they'll still be making good money and actually turning profits. Not so with the Devils, who already struggle. If every team loses 5% of their fans, the teams with smaller fanbases get hit much harder by this. Not only that, but it affects future lockouts less, because these are the poorer teams with less pull on big issues like lockouts. Vanderbeek going in front of the BOG and saying "Last lockout killed us, this simply can't happen again" carries much less weigh than a team like the Rangers/Bruins/Flyers/Wings/Leafs etc saying the same thing, because they support much of the league.

I believe that it's more on the fans of rich teams (especially the Bruins) to protest by boycotting their teams. If their owners feel the effects, they'll be the ones bringing about real change next time. You think the Bruins (or any rich team) still profiting after a lockout cares much about the Devils (or teams with worse fan/money issues) struggling more than they already do? Not really, if anything that'll just make them want to move those teams to places that will support better after their lockouts.

Fans of smaller teams could protest by not watching national games like NBC games and the Winter Classic or 24/7. But speaking to the Devils, we all know that this team is typically break-even with success on the ice. We all know our owner is struggling to hold on to the team. The Devils will never be a lock to stay here, they will always have to do well on the ice and financially. There aren't a lot of billionaire Devils fans who don't care if the team loses money. I realize that is a ways off given our TV deal and lease, but that day will come and the building blocks for a solid owner committed to keeping the team here is reliant on fan support and revenue.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:06 PM
CerebralGenesis

No one is obligated to do anything. But out of sight, out of mind. And for a gate driven league, that is potentially deadly.

But let's be serious, if you're posting on a hockey message board, you'll be back. For example, I will watch games but they may not be of the legal variety and I probably won't be buying any merchandise that goes to fuel these greedy bums.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
No one is obligated to do anything. But out of sight, out of mind. And for a gate driven league, that is potentially deadly.

But let's be serious, if you're posting on a hockey message board, you'll be back. For example, I will watch games but they may not be of the legal variety and I probably won't be buying any merchandise that goes to fuel these greedy bums.
I'm assuming you were replying to me.. I mean whether you choose to watch illegally streamed games and buy counterfeit chinese merchandise, or you just don't watch/buy anything altogether it still has the same negative impacts and repercussions on the New Jersey Devils

Old
12-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Yeah, they'd have to grandfather contracts into the new CBA.

The only GMs that are against 5 years are the low markets that hate to see top players locked up into contracts that only the bigger markets can afford. Teams like PHX, STL, FLA, the teams that can't afford to pay guys 11 and 12 million in years when their cap hit is significantly less.
I think it can be safely said that the Weber offer sheet is a major thing on mind of those owners

It was a BS deal the Flyers put forth to screw the Preds given how much bonus $$$ was upfront , etc

Preds had to match because of how important Weber is but I am sure Car , Nas , etc have made it very clear they dont want to see that BS happen again

Closed Thread