HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXV - I'll see you in court!

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 08:58 PM
hlaverty06

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post

This is something I would be a fan of. Let's organise it.
Would it be the 1st game of the season, if there is one? SHould be right after the puck drop

Old
12-11-2012, 09:09 PM
AirheadPete

Realistically not that a deal will get.done to.save the season at all or let alone in time.for.the new.year but elliotte Friedman was saying how much a Jan 1 start makes.sense. take over that day start games at noon and.have them all.day til.the west coast.ones go.at 10/1030. Or start new years eve with one.game at like 8 pm (marquee matchup.of.some sort) then.still.do all day on new years
day, maybe 12/31 wings vs hawks at 8 then 1/1 pens vs flyers at noon, bruins/caps vs rangers at 3 on nbc. Obviously all wishful thinking anyways....

Last edited by AirheadPete: 12-11-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I think if you're going to be fair you have to say the Devils are at best and probably at worst only tacitly complicit in this lockout. While I agree with 731's point that a new CBA probably helps JVB get some more value in the franchise (especially with the lack of long-term deals on the books 'now') and the Devils - like every other team - voted for the lockout, I don't think of JVB as a hard-liner in the sense that:

A) He's an actual fan and doesn't seem to care about losing money
B) He's not speaking out publicly or one of the 'big four-six' owners in the negotiating room at all times
C) Hard-liner to me infers you're willing to risk losing a season. JVB might not mind a couple of largely down attendance months off the books (though it's done a lot to cancel out the momentum from last Spring), but push comes to shove there's no way he wants to miss an entire season

And thankfully the players aren't speaking out 'at all' other than generic quotes from Hedberg-Clarkson when they've been a part of negotiations. I do think - like most everyone else in the union - they're willing to follow lockstep with Fehr (at least until d-day arrives next month) but thankfully they haven't made public a**es of themselves like many others have.
Perfectly said.. All great points

Old
12-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Does Barch count as a Devil who has made himself look like an ass?

Old
12-11-2012, 09:35 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

He counts.
But he hasn't been indoctrinated yet, so it's understandable.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:02 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
Realistically not that a deal will get.done to.save the season at all or let alone in time.for.the new.year but elliotte Friedman was saying how much a Jan 1 start makes.sense. take over that day start games at noon and.have them all.day til.the west coast.ones go.at 10/1030. Or start new years eve with one.game at like 8 pm (marquee matchup.of.some sort) then.still.do all day on new years
day, maybe 12/31 wings vs hawks at 8 then 1/1 pens vs flyers at noon, bruins/caps vs rangers at 3 on nbc. Obviously all wishful thinking anyways....
On top of that, you'd have a deal done this week which is just in time to buy tickets and apparel for Christmas.

Nice monetary boost for the owners.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:33 PM
AirheadPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
On top of that, you'd have a deal done this week which is just in time to buy tickets and apparel for Christmas.

Nice monetary boost for the owners.
Ready for this....i was bored at work earlier tonight and so simply for the sake of passing time i drafted out a potential scenario that i think could work in terms of national tv if that happened.

New Years Eve:
Wings-Hawks 8 PM (NBC or NBCSN)
Habs-Leafs 8 PM (CBC)

~Both marquee matchups that would have attraction for the respective countries

New Years Day
Flyers-Pens Noon (NBC or NBCSN)
Bruins-Rangers 3 PM (NBC or NBCSN)
Sabres-Caps 7 PM (NBCSN)

~Probably the best six eastern conference squads to put on the national games based on ratings

Oilers-Flames 3 PM (CBC)
Sens-Jets 7 PM (CBC)
Canucks-Wild 10 PM (CBC)

~One of HNICs well known triple headers: Battle of Alberta, Canucks take on intriguing "new look" Wild, rounded out with the remaining two eastern conference canadian teams

Then fill in the remainder of the matchups that wont air on national tv

Devils-Panthers (round 1 rematch)
Hurricanes-Lightning (overlooked sunbelt rivalry)
Sharks-Ducks (SoCal battle)
Kings-Avalanche
Blues-Stars
Coyotes-Predators (round 2 rematch)

Off: Islanders & Blue Jackets

Last edited by AirheadPete: 12-11-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 11:51 PM
apice3*

I don't think the NHL will schedule opening night on New Years Eve. That would require a deal being completely agreed upon within 3 days which I don't think happens. Even if that does happen, it won't be a high draw considering everyone is going to be watching the countdown to the ball drop.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:02 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I don't think the NHL will schedule opening night on New Years Eve. That would require a deal being completely agreed upon within 3 days which I don't think happens. Even if that does happen, it won't be a high draw considering everyone is going to be watching the countdown to the ball drop.
I think there's a reason they only canceled up to the 30th, beyond just the cynical point of view of well, they just don't want to have headlines that say 'The NHL canceled all of 2012'. I think they are envisoning a start around New Year's...it could wind up being the 30th so NBC gets a Sunday game, it could be NYE or NYD afternoon.

You don't neccesarily have to have an agreement in the next 48-72 hours...they'll probably seperate agreeing to a deal with the start of the season by ten days-two weeks (which would give them till around the middle-end of next week), which is what they did in '95 when they had a short season - it was only seperated by nine days.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
The irony of the last part of your statement is our rival teams are also probably among the biggest moderates, or at least know better than not to push the league down an elevator shaft.
I don't know. I get the feeling that Snider just might be one of the hardliners among the owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Depends how Marty starts... who knows how he'll come out of the gate.
He might take a while to get in a groove, and that's time we probably won't have.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:27 AM
apice3*

Quote:
I think there's a reason they only canceled up to the 30th, beyond just the cynical point of view of well, they just don't want to have headlines that say 'The NHL canceled all of 2012'. I think they are envisoning a start around New Year's...it could wind up being the 30th so NBC gets a Sunday game, it could be NYE or NYD afternoon.

You don't neccesarily have to have an agreement in the next 48-72 hours...they'll probably seperate agreeing to a deal with the start of the season by ten days-two weeks (which would give them till around the middle-end of next week), which is what they did in '95 when they had a short season - it was only seperated by nine days.
I thought the league explicitly stated they needed 14 days for a training camp. Either way, if the season starts on the 31st, I doubt it starts at night. Too much of the targeted audience will be partying for New Years.

Also, the canceling of games has been meaningless for a while. I don't even get why they're doing it anymore. Maybe a useless scare tactic. The entire remaining schedule is going to be tossed away once the season begins anyway. It needs to be redone regardless so they might as well just cancel games through April and then reschedule them when the time comes.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I know I stick up for Marty more than most so some won't take my opinion seriously, but let's be honest for a minute. I can't think of more than 3 games that his goaltending cost us last year. That Toronto game first game back from injury where he couldn't stop anything before he made that save on Kessel. That Calgary game where Moose came in, and was just as bad, and maybe that game where he was a statue in the shootout against Toronto later in the season.

Not saying those are the only games he played bad or gave up a goal he shouldn't have. Just saying those are the only games brutal goaltending by him was the difference in the game.

However that doesn't mean he might only cost us 3 games this year either. At his age it will likely be even harder. Part of me says he'll be his rusty inconsistent self much like almost every year since the last lockout, and another says he may surprise, and exceed expectations.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:03 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Let's see how the media blackout goes today.

Of course, with reporters texting their sources on the inside we will know everything almost as it happens.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:13 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
I didn't know Frank was a Devils fan...

Old
12-12-2012, 05:33 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Who could like both Bettman and Fehr? Especially now that they are working together to torpedo the season?

Old
12-12-2012, 07:01 AM
goalvalchuk17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Who could like both Bettman and Fehr? Especially now that they are working together to torpedo the season?
I hate both. Bettman is bettman. And fehr and his tactics are so annoying. He's smart and the fact that he doesn't care if we play or not helps him say no to a lot of deals unfortunately. He knows he can get more and most of the time he's right but he also has to wait longer for it which means less games and maybe no season at all.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:08 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

What time are these clowns meeting today?

Old
12-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
What time are these clowns meeting today?
Began at 11:00 AM EST. Nothing new to really speak of though as far as updates go.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:11 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Began at 11:00 AM EST. Nothing new to really speak of though as far as updates go.
And hopefully it stays that way.
Only leak is that it's separated meetings again (NHL in one room, PA in the other) and its in NJ.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:33 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

I wish it was no owners 'and' no players, just the big four, the lawyers and mediators although I get that Fehr has to open 'everything' up to combat the charges he's doing anything in secret.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Part of me thinks a deal gets done, and we're close. Most of me thinks Fehr is just playing games. If the league puts everything with the make whole and financial stuff back on the table this week that they agreed to last week, Fehr will go after that again. After he's done agreeing to the CBA length, and contracts.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:38 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
I wish it was no owners 'and' no players, just the big four, the lawyers and mediators although I get that Fehr has to open 'everything' up to combat the charges he's doing anything in secret.
I actually wish some owners were involved, now that there's a third party in the room again.

I feel if it's just Bettman and Daly reporting back to them, it will still just go in one ear and out the other.
They'll hear what they want to hear.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

Quote:
#CBA meeting over. No progress. #NHL remains firm on "take it or leave it" last offer to #NHLPA.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:42 PM
apice3*

The two sides are making progress. I'll just log it into this computer aaaaaaaaaaand it's gone

Old
12-12-2012, 04:47 PM
manilaNJ

They met separately with mediators today, didn't expect much progress.
And the mediator even put it out there for them not to talk to each other yet.

Neither side heard what they wanted to hear, so they'll try and see how much deeper they can dig their heels.

It sounds like the players are discussing things over and will communicate with ownership via the mediator. Doesn't sound awful.

At this point, the players know there's not much further to push before it blows up in their face and the majority of owners will come around to the fact that they're losing more money than they're saving at this point.

That gap between them is going to start looking smaller and smaller as the minutes tick down.
I still feel a deal is imminent.. or should be imminent.
Never underestimate the power of stupidity, I guess.

Closed Thread