HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXV - I'll see you in court!

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 07:31 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Funny how the PA is 'mafia extorting' things when they're going to make out worse or neutral on every major issue in this CBA.
They have to. It would be near impossible for the Union to do better than the last CBA, in which the owner's basically gave them the keys to the castle. That's the owner's biggest fault in all of this mess; their grossly incompetent business practices. With idiots like this running the 30 shows, the NHL deserves to go bankrupt.

Quote:
the CBA date is so more players can be under contract. It's not about plus leverage for them
I'm sorry, but that bit is just naive IMO.
It's no coincidence that the date the Union contract expires is exactly at the most advantageous time period of the year for that Union contract to expire. We see this in other industries as well, it's not just an NHL thing.

Old
12-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
That is surprsing

He ended the 2010-11 Blackhawks season and started the Nucks roll thru West Conf
I watched that whole series too, and I don't really remember him!

Old
12-13-2012, 08:01 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

The Chosen One hath spoken:

Quote:
"My message to owners and to players is, You guys make a lot of money and you make a lot of money on the backs of fans, so do right by your fans. You can figure out how to spread out a bunch of revenue that you're bringing in, but do right by the people who support you. The president of the United States shouldn’t have to get involved in a sports lockout, and I shouldn’t have to be involved in a dispute between really wealthy players and even wealthier owners. They should be able to settle this themselves. And remember who it is that’s putting all that money in their pockets."

Old
12-13-2012, 08:32 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I'm sorry, but that bit is just naive IMO.
It's no coincidence that the date the Union contract expires is exactly at the most advantageous time period of the year for that Union contract to expire. We see this in other industries as well, it's not just an NHL thing.
And what 'advantage' does it give the union to have the CBA expire on September 15 as opposed to July 15? When there's zero evidence both sides would do anything other than what they've done - run down the clock till the season end drop dead date. The first real offer by either side came on the deadline to save an 82-game season. An earlier in the summer CBA date wouldn't do anything to speed the process one iota or give either side more leverage.

On the other hand, if you had the CBA expire before free agency, Parise and Suter don't get their $98 million contracts, Weber doesn't get his deal, all the RFA's the Bruins and other teams signed don't get their deals. You think it wouldn't make a HUGE difference to 'player solidarity' if a couple hundred guys weren't under contract when the CBA expired? Not knowing where you're going to live or how much money you're going to make when it's over? The lemmings would be jumping off the ship a lot faster in that case.

Old
12-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Hey when did Obama say that? Is that recently? He said something similar on Letterman or whatever talk show it was before election day.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Bleed, he said that today. And he basically summed up this piece of **** lockout perfectly.

This entire process is just so old already. 95, 05, 12. Really?? Spare us this garbage. And yet, in a weird way, I actually hope the lockout lasts long enough to wipe out the season at this point. I would honestly rather see every single game cancelled if it meant both sides got nothing this year. It's what they deserve. Nothing but greed and disservice from either side and it's a huge slap in the face to everyone who supports this league.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:25 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post
Bleed, he said that today. And he basically summed up this piece of **** lockout perfectly.

This entire process is just so old already. 95, 05, 12. Really?? Spare us this garbage. And yet, in a weird way, I actually hope the lockout lasts long enough to wipe out the season at this point. I would honestly rather see every single game cancelled if it meant both sides got nothing this year. It's what they deserve. Nothing but greed and disservice from either side and it's a huge slap in the face to everyone who supports this league.
Is there something about us that makes seeing the league burn to the ground such an appealing idea at this point? Blow it up and start over.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Perhaps that's part of the list of things they've already agreed to - if free agency is going to start earlier, then perhaps CBA will expire August 1st instead of September 15th - something like that.
I know why they want Free Agency to start earlier, but it throws Lou's time frame out the window, and I kind of liked having it open on Canada Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
That is surprsing

He ended the 2010-11 Blackhawks season and started the Nucks roll thru West Conf
That was a godawful turnover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Hey when did Obama say that? Is that recently? He said something similar on Letterman or whatever talk show it was before election day.
I think it was a response to a petition on the White House website.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:51 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Hmm, this turned around...

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance
Spoke with one player who said it's all but certain free agency starts later than July 1.

Then again, could be in reference to 2013 UFA and not indicative of seasons to follow...

Old
12-14-2012, 11:54 AM
CerebralGenesis

condensed seasons have a way of pushing everything back.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:01 PM
manilaNJ

The original talk was 48 hours after the Cup was awarded.

Even in the 94-95 48 game season, the season didn't extend past July.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
The original talk was 48 hours after the Cup was awarded.

Even in the 94-95 48 game season, the season didn't extend past July.
In 1995 the Draft was pushed back until early July and I believe free agency didn't begin until a few days after the Draft.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:14 PM
manilaNJ

But what I'm saying is, the initial talk of the new UFA date for this CBA onward... had it occurring prior to the draft, as opposed to how it's previously operated.

Just seemed like a 180 to me.. but nothing is validated yet anyway. Just throwing that out there.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Brodeur

Yeah, I think they're talking about 2013 as a one time exception to push free agency after July 1st like they did in 1995. As for the other years....I really would hope they don't do 48 hours after the Cup being awarded. Seems like a distraction to teams that make it deep into the playoffs.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:20 PM
manilaNJ

...especially teams that make the playoffs quite often and have GMs who don't like to even sniff around new contracts until such deadlines.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

I'm telling you if we don't get Zajac, Clarkson, maybe even Patty, and possibly worst of all Zubrus signed before July 1st, in the case we keep them we could be a cap ceiling team. It's one thing if they wanna go to the market, but if Lou won't try to get something done, and we have a mess like last July 1st it could be scary.

Patty could get offered as much or more last contract, Zajac could get offered something dumb, someone might be dumb enough to offer Clarkson $5 million per year, and teams might offer Zubrus something like Salvador, and if we wanna keep him we might have to match, and he isn't worth it at all.

Remember how much Pittsburgh gave Paul Martin? I know he had no intent to stay, but still that was a stupid contract from the get go.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:12 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

NHL has filed a federal lawsuit in NY against the NHLPA asking the court the affirm the lockout is legal. NHL has also filed an unfair labor complaint tonthe National Labor Relations Board.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:17 PM
manilaNJ

It is clown court? I hope it's clown court.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:29 PM
goalvalchuk17

Dnebehebeidbreiekebwbsbalebsjjzoznsenwleoie. Ugh.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:35 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
So what does that mean, the NHL beat them to the punch? Maybe the PA should have been less obvious about wanting to file decertification publicly.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
NHL has filed a federal lawsuit in NY against the NHLPA asking the court the affirm the lockout is legal. NHL has also filed an unfair labor complaint tonthe National Labor Relations Board.
Either Fehr leads the players off cliff and goes Nuclear or he realizes that Bettman/NHL owners are nothing like MLB owners he bullied around

You would hope this move opens up the players eyes and gets them to vote on last owners offer and get back on ice

But I doubt it

Old
12-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
So what does that mean, the NHL beat them to the punch? Maybe the PA should have been less obvious about wanting to file decertification publicly.
My understanding in simple terms

NHLPA poked NHL while issuing a threat ,, NHL just punched them in face

NHL has been waiting for Fehr to try what he tried today and were ready to file in courts/NLRB

Old
12-14-2012, 04:42 PM
manilaNJ

If they throw up their hands and just take the owners offer, then we're guaranteed another lockout at the expiration of the next CBA.

I want hockey... but if they can't put 2 and 2 together and create a CBA that everyone's happy playing under, get the **** back to the drawing board.
We're all tired of this nonsense.

The Burnside article I posted yesterday had a lot of good compromises that would probably make everyone happy in the end.

It's not too far off from where either stand right now, but those extra budges on each side are necessary.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
If they throw up their hands and just take the owners offer, then we're guaranteed another lockout at the expiration of the next CBA. .
And if this goes to courts we may not see NHL for a few years ,, Also the NHL we know will not be same one that comes back

Old
12-14-2012, 04:58 PM
manilaNJ

Agreed. But this is a hazard for both sides if this hits the courts.
Granted, such tactics solved the NBA lockout last time around... but the NHL as a whole is embittered and held stubborn after 3 straight lockouts. It won't be that easy.

No one comes out of this a winner if this is the route we have to take.
The "take it or leave it" on one side versus the "we've done enough" on the other side needs to be done away with.

The compromise between the NHL's offer and the NHLPA's offer is so close between the 2 it's really laughable that we're at this point.

If we were dealing with wise rational beings (as opposed to owners trying to save themselves from paying checks they agreed to initially and players trying to stick to it to Bettman & Co. after the last lockout) --- both sides would know to meet each other just a few more inches to the middle and we'd have a deal.

Unfortunately, this isn't the case.

Closed Thread