HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXV - I'll see you in court!

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 10:14 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I don't disagree...but from my perspective, there's no harm believing in the tooth fairy for a couple days. Beats remaining bitter and mad constantly throughout. There'll be plenty of time for those feelings if the next couple of days blow up and we're back to status quo.

The fact this guy is a respected reporter in the NE area (even if football is his specialty) and he went on TV with it gives me a little hope.
I'm neither dipping into pessimism nor optimism right now, really.
Just kind of rolling with it for now. Not reading too much of anything until someone says "season canceled" or "season saved" at this point.

Old
CerebralGenesis

Now I remember why I don't watch the NBA.

Old
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
Fireworks factory?
Suuuuree.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
I want the NHL back now. They will manage without Henrique for a couple weeks. Josefson will step up.
I was already betting on Josefson stepping up anyway. It still isn't enough though with Henrique gone. Maybe a Sykie signing? I'm still not sure what kinda forward we can bring in unless it's a Poni type. I'm not sure teams would be willing to deal us forwards if we have no forwards to give. That's one thing I'm afraid of. The forwards I could give a damn about right now, Janssen, Barch, Butler, Tedenby, have no value unless packaged with a bunch of crap like in the Zidlicky trade.

Back to lockout talk though. The only positive I'm weighing here is this. There could have been a secret meeting, and it seems things have been the best, when the meetings were low profile, and in undisclosed locations.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Don't believe in this Burton rubbish, just my opinion.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
There are way too many people fighting for the sake of ego instead of the game for me to hold any confidence in any of this.

I won't hate being pleasantly surprised... but confidence has flat lined.
Agreed. It's just another dog and pony show imho. This is what they always do. And honestly, even if this **** does get resolved sometime soon, are people really going to be all that excited? After all the drama?

It may sound like blasphemy considering the 95 run, but I just can't put stock into an abbreviated season AGAIN. In 95, it was the first lockout and I don't think anybody ever expected it to become the norm in this bush league. But it did. And at least in 05 they nuked the entire thing so there was no chance for an abbreviated season. But to have another one in 2013? Sorry, not on board with this garbage. I miss hockey as much as the next guy but I'm not going to be devastated if I don't get to see an injury riddled, poorly played and ******** 50 game season. It's tainted and they can keep as far as I'm concerned. The quality of play is going to suffer big time.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:20 PM
goalvalchuk17

Lets see what happens tomorrow. It's all speculation for now. We should know by tomorrow if this guy is bs'ing us or not.

Old
NJDevs26
Status quo

A short season isn't ideal, but it beats the alternative which would be nuclear spring. As much as I hate the people running this league, I really don't want to see the league shut down entirely two times in a decade.

Old
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I'm fine with the season starting New Years at this point. Though with other guys assorted playing all over the place like Kovy, Zid, and our Albany guys, who knows what happens if it goes that long?

The sooner a deal is done the better for me. I'm okay with a January 1st start even if a deal is done this minute. I'll feel relief as soon as a new CBA is signed, but am okay waiting it out a few weeks for a season to start play. The rest of the schedule will be scrapped anyway. I highly doubt we have inter conference play at all in the shortened season.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:25 PM
CerebralGenesis

Positive from that kind of view is that it is probably more common than we think. The league will probably get, and hopefully get, a huge wakeup call and not treat the fans like an ATM next CBA.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:26 PM
manilaNJ

Detour:

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline
Told handful of NHL clubs ready to sign LW Petr Straka when lockout ends. Straka having a breakout season in QMJHL: 21-17-38, +14, in 24 gms

Hope Lou has his hat in that ring.
Apparently Blues invited him to camp before the lockout... but perhaps one of our many Czechs can persuade him.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Quote:
A short season isn't ideal, but it beats the alternative which would be nuclear spring. As much as I hate the people running this league, I really don't want to see the league shut down entirely two times in a decade.
I understand that, but they deserve to have the league shutdown again. They deserve the embarrassment and the financial consequences that would come along with that. I think that's the only way when fans are finally going to say "**** this, it ain't worth it anymore". When they don't have the revenue from the fans, there will be nothing to fight over.

But we suck as hockey fans. We're complete suckers and that's why this league gets away with ******** on the sport and the fans the way that they do. One of the guys I work with is a huge Isles fan. I mean he just lives for that team. After speaking with him today, he told me he couldn't not go to games. It would be too difficult. Imagine that? A fan of a team that has been so poorly run and in the basement for years, yet he STILL can't wait to run back to the league. I just don't get it.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:28 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Detour:

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline
Told handful of NHL clubs ready to sign LW Petr Straka when lockout ends. Straka having a breakout season in QMJHL: 21-17-38, +14, in 24 gms

Hope Lou has his hat in that ring.
Apparently Blues invited him to camp before the lockout... but perhaps one of our many Czechs can persuade him.
Any relation to Marty? Would be funny to land Matteau and Straka in the same year. Didn't Marty Straka retire as a Ranger?

Old
12-03-2012, 10:28 PM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Disregard

Old
12-03-2012, 10:31 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Any relation to Marty? Would be funny to land Matteau and Straka in the same year. Didn't Marty Straka retire as a Ranger?
That's the last uniform I remember him in.
But no, no relation.

Still funny to add onto Matteau... on top of the fact that any promising forward should be taken a good look at at this point.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
Suuuuree.

C'meah so I can teach you how to be a big gearl.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:39 PM
apice3*

What notable forwards are still FA's?

Only one I know of the top of my head is Sykora

Old
12-03-2012, 10:42 PM
CerebralGenesis

If the UFA age stays the same, next year's is going to be a frenzy.

Get an owner with #$$$

Old
12-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
I refuse to get my hopes up....OH WHO AM I KIDDING WOOO HOCKEY.....yeah doubtful.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:52 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
What notable forwards are still FA's?

Only one I know of the top of my head is Sykora
And an ex-Devil who used to be on the same line - Arnott.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
And an ex-Devil who used to be on the same line - Arnott.
Beat me to it! Don't forget Rolston! Pandolfo too!

In all honesty I think both those two are done. If the Isles passed on re signing Pandolfo I'm not sure anyone will, and let's not forget he did go a full year without getting an NHL deal the whole season after we bought him out.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
Suuuuree.

What does Empire Carpet guy have to do with things?

Old
12-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

What I want to know is what incentive is there to get a deal done right now? It's getting close, but they're not at the drop dead point yet. To have gone through all of this ******** only to quit right before the finish line? It doesn't make any sense. It's not about winning for either of these sides as much as it is to break the opposition. With how vindictive the relationship is between the owners and players, I just won't put anything past them.

If there are any game to be played this year, my guess is that it will be the absolute least possible amount, like 45 or around that #. The 95 lockout ended on January 11th so that's a good indication of just how long they can drag the nonsense out. And with how much they have already lost, why not go for the jugular and really tighten the screws now?

Old
12-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't disagree...but from my perspective, there's no harm believing in the tooth fairy for a couple days. Beats remaining bitter and mad constantly throughout. There'll be plenty of time for those feelings if the next couple of days blow up and we're back to status quo.

The fact this guy is a respected reporter in the NE area (even if football is his specialty) and he went on TV with it gives me a little hope.
Yes there is

You wake up and all you got is a bloody/nasty tooth under your pillow

It creates even more bitterness and anger

Old
12-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post
What I want to know is what incentive is there to get a deal done right now? It's getting close, but they're not at the drop dead point yet. To have gone through all of this ******** only to quit right before the finish line? It doesn't make any sense. It's not about winning for either of these sides as much as it is to break the opposition. With how vindictive the relationship is between the owners and players, I just won't put anything past them.

If there are any game to be played this year, my guess is that it will be the absolute least possible amount, like 45 or around that #. The 95 lockout ended on January 11th so that's a good indication of just how long they can drag the nonsense out.
THe longer this goes the less the owners will give players in make whole (As the more games lost = More $$$ lost)

Closed Thread