HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Poll : Most Canadians don't care if NHL comes back

Old
12-19-2012, 09:08 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Poll : Most Canadians don't care if NHL comes back

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/M...137/story.html

Fifty eight per cent of respondents indicated they did not care. Only five per cent thought a deal could be done in the next couple of weeks and the season would start up in 2012, while eight per cent thought a deal could be done in the new year in time for a shortened season to be played. Twenty-five per cent believe it is too late for any kind of season to be salvaged. The remaining four per cent either did not know or refused to answer.

A survey of 801 people provides results with a confidence interval of plus or minus 3.5 per cent, 19 times out of 20.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Crease

vCash: 500
Do these surveys somehow control for emotional bias?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Dado

vCash:
We need more lockouts to be able to calibrate for emotional response.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Do these surveys somehow control for emotional bias?
Sure, it's there in the one line description of the survey results. "Fifty eight per cent of respondents indicated they did not care." It's a survey, it's what people say they believe not what they show through action.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:42 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Considering probably over 99% of the rest of the world doesn't care, relatively speaking Canada's numbers look good. Hell, the same survey with Americans would probably indicate over 90-95% don't care.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:43 AM
berklon

I guess the poll just assumed everyone in Canada followed hockey in the first place - which is ridiculous. All this poll really proved was that hockey has a lot of room to grow in Canada - I doubt even 20% follow the sport.

But make no mistake, this lockout has killed off a good number of fans in Canada. I know MANY who no longer care and just wish the NHL would fold. This lockout has set the NHL back at least 10 years in Canada.

berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
I guess the poll just assumed everyone in Canada followed hockey in the first place - which is ridiculous. All this poll really proved was that hockey has a lot of room to grow in Canada - I doubt even 20% follow the sport.

But make no mistake, this lockout has killed off a good number of fans in Canada. I know MANY who no longer care and just wish the NHL would fold. This lockout has set the NHL back at least 10 years in Canada.
Exactly. At U of T I know like 7 people who even follow and 3 who are die hard.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:25 AM
BLONG7

Fans are more frustrated this time...rightly so...

Great job by Gary and the Don...time for one to go to the NBA and the other off to the NFL...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Swarez

I split seasons with my dad and brother. My dad cares, me and my brother are basically done this year.
No one under 20 I know cares in the least, this is something I am somewhat surprised about. The NHL is going to lose a large number of young people compared to previous' generations in this country.

One more thing,

Go Jays Go.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

That's exagerating. People whine but they will come back, it's hockey!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
I split seasons with my dad and brother. My dad cares, me and my brother are basically done this year.
No one under 20 I know cares in the least, this is something I am somewhat surprised about. The NHL is going to lose a large number of young people compared to previous' generations in this country.

One more thing,

Go Jays Go.
Everyone cannot wait for the Jays to play, even over here.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Catamo
NHL2com League

vCash: 1171
Not a surprise given the reasons why there's a stoppage. Hard to not feel let down and betrayed.

Catamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:41 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Two thoughts when reading the article. First is obvious. What percentage of Canadians are actual hockey fans? 60% of peopel being fans of a sport is pretty high imo.

Second thought, the question was posed: "Do you think the NHL lockout will be settled in the next couple of weeks?; in the new year in time for a shortened season to be played?; not until it's too late for games to be played this season?; or don't you care?"

58% of respondants said they don't care WHEN the lockout ends. Not so much they don't care if the NHL never comes back.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:45 AM
thom

Cheswick is correct the question must be directed to hockey fans even though hockey is number 1 in canada not all canadiens like hockey or sports.

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Melrose Munch

If you like the CFL there's that. If you like the 3 other sports they are there too. Maybe the owners and players will die on the Hill of getting more fans back

Old
12-19-2012, 11:53 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Cheswick is correct the question must be directed to hockey fans even though hockey is number 1 in canada not all canadiens like hockey or sports.
100 % of all Canadiens like hockey, hence that's why the root for the Canadiens.

But yes, not all Canadians like hockey.

Sorry, I am a Canadian, but i just loath the Canadiens. So don't call me one.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Lacaar

That's awesome. Talk is cheap. Let's check out attendance if it ever returns.
I'd almost guarantee you Edmonton fans come back in droves. No one wants to risk coming off the season ticket roster with their young players coming up. There's just too much vibe in the city for them.

Now if it goes nuclear for 2 years and they all go UFA. Leave to other teams etc.
I would guess Rexal would be a grave yard.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Everyone cannot wait for the Jays to play, even over here.
I always did say if the Jays were good they could rival the Leafs for buzzz around town. That is the difference though, Leafs can be bad and generate the same.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Greyhounds

The question is irrelevant. The real question is what kind of support will the game get, when it comes back?

IMO, the lockout will be forgotten in about 3 seconds, once the first puck is dropped. Buildings will be packed. Ratings will climb throughout the year.

The complaining we hear about now is people frustrated that the season isn't on...just like the rest of us.

Greyhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:03 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Of the people listed as not caring, I'm wondering how many said that in the sense, "**** both sides, I don't care anymore" but they obviously really, really do care....

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:29 PM
berklon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
I'd almost guarantee you Edmonton fans come back in droves. No one wants to risk coming off the season ticket roster with their young players coming up. There's just too much vibe in the city for them.
I have no doubt that the barns in Canada will still be packed. That will happen simply because there'll be enough people to fill in and buy tickets in the place of those who stop doing so. However, the overall amount of fans will drop. You'll see this in reduced TV viewers and merchandise sold. So teams will be hurt. You don't do this to your fanbase twice in 8 years without any negative effect.

berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Lacaar

Quote:
I have no doubt that the barns in Canada will still be packed. That will happen simply because there'll be enough people to fill in and buy tickets in the place of those who stop doing so. However, the overall amount of fans will drop. You'll see this in reduced TV viewers and merchandise sold. So teams will be hurt. You don't do this to your fanbase twice in 8 years without any negative effect.
Nothing that wouldn't be easily reversed by making the playoffs. Playoff time in Canada is where fans are made.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post

Now if it goes nuclear for 2 years and they all go UFA. Leave to other teams etc.
I would guess Rexal would be a grave yard
This is what will happen. they are going to the courts man. Nuclear
Quote:
Exactly. Can't wait for ratings to drop.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:30 PM
molsonmuscle360

I'm sorry, 800 people is not an accurate survey sample for such a broad topic. People in certain areas even in Canada are going to care more than others. In Toronto and Vancouver you are going to have less people caring because there are less people in those cities who grew up with hockey because either they immigrated to Canada or their parents did. I bet if you asked one of the small towns in Saskatchewan that has about the same number of people as that survey you'd get a totally different answer.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I'm sorry, 800 people is not an accurate survey sample for such a broad topic. People in certain areas even in Canada are going to care more than others. In Toronto and Vancouver you are going to have less people caring because there are less people in those cities who grew up with hockey because either they immigrated to Canada or their parents did. I bet if you asked one of the small towns in Saskatchewan that has about the same number of people as that survey you'd get a totally different answer.
Most of this country does not care for team sports. That is a known fact.