HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Ryan Pulock vs Morgan Rielly

Old
12-01-2012, 10:06 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

vCash: 500
Ryan Pulock vs Morgan Rielly

For all the hype Rielly has been getting, IMO what Pulock has done so far looks to be more impressive:

Rielly: 29gp - 5g / 20a / 25p +2

Pulock: 24gp - 9g / 16a / 25p +14

He has the same amount of points(4 more goals) in 5 less games. However what looks the most impressive is the fact that he's a +14 on a team that is -39 in goal-differential. Rielly is a +2 on a Moose Jaw team that is -19.

I'm not trying to suggest that Pulock is a better prospect, but considering all the hype that Rielly is getting around here due to what he's been able to do this year on a poor team, I'm surprised that I haven't seen much written about this kid Pulock who is doing it 7 months younger, on a worse team(statistically) and the fact that his numbers have just been better.

Any insight from people who get to watch these two regularly?

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:12 PM
LeafDangler

I see Pulock's name mentioned a ton. He's as high as 4 or 5 on some lists and draws Al MacInnis comparisons. They're both fantastic prospects.

FYI, attempting to compare CHL defencemen by looking solely at their Jr stats is a fool's errand. Not to say that's what you were doing but just that it can be incredibly misleading. See Jerome Gauthier-Leduc.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:31 PM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
I see Pulock's name mentioned a ton. He's as high as 4 or 5 on some lists and draws Al MacInnis comparisons. They're both fantastic prospects.

FYI, attempting to compare CHL defencemen by looking solely at their Jr stats is a fool's errand. Not to say that's what you were doing but just that it can be incredibly misleading. See Jerome Gauthier-Leduc.
I'm not sure what you want to bring with Jerome Gauthier-Leduc ?!?

reffree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:38 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Rielly plays a more cerebral game than Pulock. Leetch vs McCabe, off the top of my head. That and Rielly's skating is just on another planet entirely. Pulock's got a shot Rielly can only dream about, though. Like, damn. Can that kid shoot.

Last edited by 7even: 12-01-2012 at 10:44 PM.
7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Rielly.

Pulock is a great prospect to have, great all-round player. But Rielly is a guy that can really take over the game with his ability to make in tight plays and just create offense out of nothing.

Personally, I am not a fan of the Leafs, and sometimes think they overrate prospects, but in terms of Rielly, they are right to feel excitement. He is a guy that can bring people out of their seats.

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:46 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:

Not really trying to see who the better player is, per say, but I know every time Rielly has a 2-point night this board explodes, meanwhile I went 3 pages deep and couldn't find a Pulock thread. I'm sure the fact that Rielly is a Leafs prospect has a lot to do with it, but I just wanted to see from people who get to watch these guys a lot(since I'm from the states I don't get to see many games) if there is a reason why Rielly gets more hype or if Pulock was just sort of going under the radar.

MacInnis would be awesome, btw. I heard Rob Blake as well from a couple of people. McCabe(in response to 7even), while he had a decent run, would be a bit of a disappointment I'd think.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:57 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post
I'm not sure what you want to bring with Jerome Gauthier-Leduc ?!?
Extremely effective defenceman at the Jr level with a nice stat line who I don't believe to be a top flight NHL prospect. First name off the top of my head. If he's seen as high end guy I have no problem being wrong.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:58 PM
scott99

Rielly reminds me of Paul Coffey (hunched over skating style, the way he holds his stick). He truly is the definition of offensive defenseman. I really am happy the Isles picked Reinhart, but Rielly sure is a difference maker. Plus, just like Galchenyuck, how can you not feel good for guys that hurt themselves early in their draft seasons, yet still get drafted in the top 5. I was really rooting for both of these kids.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Sundinisagod
King Joffrey 2.0

Any body think Pulock (right handed cannon) would be an ideal partner for Rielly (left handed, great playmaker) at the NHL level?

Pulock is the kid with the Leaf's tattoo honouring his brother, right?

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:05 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Not really trying to see who the better player is, per say, but I know every time Rielly has a 2-point night this board explodes, meanwhile I went 3 pages deep and couldn't find a Pulock thread. I'm sure the fact that Rielly is a Leafs prospect has a lot to do with it, but I just wanted to see from people who get to watch these guys a lot(since I'm from the states I don't get to see many games) if there is a reason why Rielly gets more hype or if Pulock was just sort of going under the radar.

MacInnis would be awesome, btw. I heard Rob Blake as well from a couple of people. McCabe(in response to 7even), while he had a decent run, would be a bit of a disappointment I'd think.
McCabe had a 68 point season, and 4 40+ seasons. Not too shabby.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:14 PM
reffree

Quote:
Extremely effective defenceman at the Jr level with a nice stat line who I don't believe to be a top flight NHL prospect. First name off the top of my head. If he's seen as high end guy I have no problem being wrong.
Don't think he's a high end guy, but he's a 3rd rounder who had a great 19yo season last year and has been injured this year. Think he's only played 4 games this year.

Pullock and Rielly are both high end prospect who are doing alot with not much and I agree with the op, what Pullock has done so far is impressive.

reffree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:51 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
First thing you have to realize when comparing their stats is despite their draft year Pulock is actually more developed with ~50 more WHL games. He also has incredible physical maturity for someone his age and uses it to his advantage in junior, when translating to the NHL he wont be as physically dominant. Rielly on the other hand uses his elusiveness to be dominant.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
I'm not sure who I would take at this point.

Rielly clearly has more offensive skill, better hands and better gamebreaking ability, but Pulock has the better shot, and plays a two-way game that will translate very nicely to the NHL level. Rielly has much more flash but it's doubtful his moves will work at the NHL level. I think with his skill level he'll translate well to the NHL but he won't be able to take the risks he can in the dub. If he settles down and focuses on moving the puck quickly and efficiently, rather than rushing the puck and taking risks, he'll be an elite puckmover.

I'm higher on Pulock than most. I think with his shot he'll be scoring 10-20G a season in the NHL, and getting 40-50P through his puckmoving and work on the powerplay. He won't be elite defensively, but solid. He's a smart and steady type. Compared to Rielly he's a pretty unspectacular defenseman, but he'll be known across the league for his shot.

It's important to note that Brandon has gone 0-5 without Pulock since he was injured, and has been outscored 26- 6. Guy's as underrated as a prospect as they come.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:20 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 0
Rielly may make everyone jump out of their seats, but so does Alexander Ovechkin. I'm more concerned about winning games and ultimately getting the cup.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:56 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Rielly may make everyone jump out of their seats, but so does Alexander Ovechkin. I'm more concerned about winning games and ultimately getting the cup.
I know you are trying to make a point, but using Ovechkin as your example doesn't help your cause. Perhaps a defenseman and not a Hart Trophy winner...

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:14 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
First thing you have to realize when comparing their stats is despite their draft year Pulock is actually more developed with ~50 more WHL games. He also has incredible physical maturity for someone his age and uses it to his advantage in junior, when translating to the NHL he wont be as physically dominant. Rielly on the other hand uses his elusiveness to be dominant.
Huh? Pulock really doesn't use his size at all.

In my viewings of the 2, I'd say Rielly is more likely to put up points, but Pulock has a much better shot and is a little more reliable.

And for OP, who asked about them playing together, I think they'd work very well. Rielly's a good playmaker, and he could set up Pulock well to unleash that bomb of a shot

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:21 AM
JetsHomer

Anyone know what Pulocks injury is and when he'll return to the lineup?

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:27 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

From the head to head games I have seen between Brandon and Moose Jaw, the Wheatkings play an up tempo run and gun style, while the Warriors are gritty, but play a dump and chase style for the most part.

For the person who brought up Brandon's struggles without Pulock, they were struggling with him in the last 5-6 games he played.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 03:23 AM
Hynh

I'd have to know just how much better of a skater Rielly is and how close their defensive game is. If it is close enough I'd take Pulock because he's a RHD (the Oilers are loaded on LHD prospects) and his shot is the perfect opposite to Schultz's passing and wrist shots.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:06 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I think I'd take Pulock over Reilly at this point. Both should be great defensemen though.

12-02-2012, 09:17 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I know you are trying to make a point, but using Ovechkin as your example doesn't help your cause. Perhaps a defenseman and not a Hart Trophy winner...
Mike Green?

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:30 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Huh? Pulock really doesn't use his size at all.

In my viewings of the 2, I'd say Rielly is more likely to put up points, but Pulock has a much better shot and is a little more reliable.

And for OP, who asked about them playing together, I think they'd work very well. Rielly's a good playmaker, and he could set up Pulock well to unleash that bomb of a shot
Not in terms of hitting, but his protection of the puck, his core strength and his shot power are well above his age which makes him so effective, when other players are at the same physical level he likely wont be as dominant, or atleast in my opinion.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:42 AM
n00bxQb

I was quite impressed with Pulock when Brandon played the Royals. What really impressed me was his ability to find the open man and make long, accurate passes out of his zone (which he made several excellent breakout passes that resulted in breakaways or odd-man rushes).

I already knew he was a large, fast defenseman with a bomb, but wasn't expecting that type of finesse to his game.

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:41 AM
vad87

Shea Weber's kind of offense (great first pass with a booming shot) vs Niedermayer's puck rushing and QB game?

vad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:36 PM
ponder

Very different players. Pulock has a better shot, is better in his own end, and is more physical (though still only moderately physical), while Rielly is a better skater, a better puck handler, and just a lot more dynamic and shifty with the puck. If we're going to unfairly compare these guys to legends, Pulock plays more of an Al MacInnis style game, while Rielly plays more of a Brian Leetch style game.

As for the OP asking about hype vs. numbers, hype for junior players is just not that strongly founded in numbers. Guys who light up the league go low in the draft on a regular basis, and guys with solid but not spectacular numbers go very high all the time too. Rielly is getting a lot of hype not because of his numbers, but because of the way he plays the game. When you watch him play, he pretty much does whatever he wants with the puck, whenever he wants. He's an exciting, electrifying player to watch, constantly dancing around defenders, spinning off checks, and generally creating offence out of nothing numerous times pretty much every period. Of course him being drafted by the Leafs helps his hype a lot too, but if you watch him play you'll see just how exciting his play is, how dominant he is offensively (though defensively he still needs plenty of work).

Last edited by ponder: 12-02-2012 at 01:42 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote