HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 09:02 PM
orcatown

vCash: 500
Schroeder is looking no better than ordinary - has to be dominating to be a consideration.

And size, or lack of it, is a factor. Right now he is not in the class of Tatar. In fact he would be behind Longpre who is again looking pretty good both ways

If Kassain could bottle what he's got going in this game and bring it every time he will be a force. Making some very good high speed plays

Much better game out of Connauton. Looking good with Joslin. Also I think Tanev is having a terrific game and that Miskovic is a big step up from Sauve.

Rodin didn't seem to play at all. Got the Rockford broadcast and they made no mention of why he isn't in.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

I think if Schroeder is on the Canucks & is flanked by guys like Higgins & Booth on a 2nd PP unit along with a puck mover like Hamhuis on the back end & Bieksa who isn't an offensive slouch either then he won't have THAT hard of time.

Every time I've seen Schroeder play its been clear his wingers aren't really at the same skill level.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Pseudonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I don't get that logic, but ok... Ebbett is playing worse but he has earned that top line and top pp time?
Thats like saying does Kesler not have the right to his 2nd like C spot because hes playing poorly and lapierre is playing barely better. lol

And giving it more thought, an undersized player usually has to put up points right when he gets into the nhl to be able to stick. Always been the case too. Especially top teams can't afford to wait around for an undersized perimeter playing to learn the league. And this is schroeders 3rd year and hes just now a 48 point player in the ahl

Old
12-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Pseudonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
I think if Schroeder is on the Canucks & is flanked by guys like Higgins & Booth on a 2nd PP unit along with a puck mover like Hamhuis on the back end & Bieksa who isn't an offensive slouch either then he won't have THAT hard of time.

Every time I've seen Schroeder play its been clear his wingers aren't really at the same skill level.
I do agree that Schroeder is slightly above his linemates in terms of hockey iq. I do think he stands a chance and could get a better shot and he might make the nhl but to say his points per game isn't a worry either way. Seems a bit too optimistic. All i meant. If he makes it despite the lousy ppg rate and doing much in the ahl, well i'd be shocked. But there has been players in the past who didn't do a whole lot in the nhl and thrived in the nhl. he could be that exception

Old
12-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Tiranis

FWIW, league equivalencies are more accurate when looking strictly at players' ES goal production: http://www.behindthenet.ca/projecting_to_nhl.php

Old
12-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
I don't disagree with that. Then again, the fact that nobody has broken through on the PP, even a guy like Haydar who has thrived on the PP throughout his whole career makes me believe that it goes beyond the players. The setup of the PP, their breakouts, etc. are horrible.

When Sedins stopped producing on the PP at the end of last season, I don't think anyone would've argued they suddenly became horrible PP players, right?
Has Schroeder ever produced impressive point totals on the PP at the AHL level? I would be more willing to take the onus off him if he did have a past history of success.

Schroeder has really rounded out his game as a pro and makes a handful of good passes in pretty much every game I've watched him play over the last couple years but it is a bit concerning he doesn't have a few more dynamic moments a game where he can either get behind the opposition's defense or beat dmen 1 on 1. These are things smaller players usually do well at the NHL level and I've always been left wanting more out of Schroeder in this regard.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
I do agree that Schroeder is slightly above his linemates in terms of hockey iq. I do think he stands a chance and could get a better shot and he might make the nhl but to say his points per game isn't a worry either way. Seems a bit too optimistic. All i meant. If he makes it despite the lousy ppg rate and doing much in the ahl, well i'd be shocked. But there has been players in the past who didn't do a whole lot in the nhl and thrived in the nhl. he could be that exception
When you see the points Hodgson put up while in our farm system then what he was able to do with actual talent I think it speaks to the level of offensive talent on the farm. Schroeder isn't far off on the ppg that Hodgson put up & from reports Schroeder is more committed to playing an all around game. Maybe I'm an optimist but I think he can still succeed & be a good NHL player but one that will always leave you thinking he has more to offer.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
I wouldn't be surprised if we don't manage to score on this 5-on-3.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Has Schroeder ever produced impressive point totals on the PP at the AHL level? I would be more willing to take the onus off him if he did have a past history of success.
All three years the teams have been in bottom 5 PP% so no... but it's not as if he's alone. Hodgson also sucked on the PP in the AHL and he did well in the NHL seemingly, no?

---

How is Haydar on the 5-on-3? And of course it fails. Pathetic by Arniel.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:18 PM
orcatown

Just refuse the PP

Old
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
All three years the teams have been in bottom 5 PP% so no... but it's not as if he's alone. Hodgson also sucked on the PP in the AHL and he did well in the NHL seemingly, no?

---

How is Haydar on the 5-on-3? And of course it fails. Pathetic by Arniel.
More than a minute on each 5-on-3 and no goal. What is wrong?!

Old
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
More than a minute on each 5-on-3 and no goal. What is wrong?!
No movement, horrible setup and strange personnel decisions. And of course those damn breakouts... probably the worst in the world.

Old
Pseudonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
When you see the points Hodgson put up while in our farm system then what he was able to do with actual talent I think it speaks to the level of offensive talent on the farm. Schroeder isn't far off on the ppg that Hodgson put up & from reports Schroeder is more committed to playing an all around game. Maybe I'm an optimist but I think he can still succeed & be a good NHL player but one that will always leave you thinking he has more to offer.
Hodgson isn't undersized. Hodgson is 6 foot and 194. He is built strong and is getting rapidly stronger , his strength is slowly catching up to his frame.

Hodgson got 17 goals in 52 games and schroeder had 10 in 62 and hodgson would have eventually went on to dominate that league. schroeder hasnt improved nearly as much as hodgson would have. you can say thats assuming but i think most would agree hodgson would have been a point per game or real damn close in his 2nd full year

undersized players need to produce more than the average player. fact

coaches love to give players with potential chances, if you know a player has the frame and potential to be a great player for you, youre goin to give him the chance. when yorue undersized, youre never going to get bigger, so you focus on how well they are offensively and thats it, they dont have anything comign in the future to help

Old
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if we don't manage to score on this 5-on-3.
Maybe they need to do more drop passes

usually helps

Old
12-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
No movement, horrible setup and strange personnel decisions. And of course those damn breakouts... probably the worst in the world.
I wish we could bench and/or scratch Haydar.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Pseudonymous*

being in this thread is killing me. haha i need a stream

Old
12-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
being in this thread is killing me. haha i need a stream
I'm listening to the radio feed on AHL live right now.

SCHROEDER OFF THE POST.

Old
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Hodgson isn't undersized. Hodgson is 6 foot and 194. He is built strong and is getting rapidly stronger , his strength is slowly catching up to his frame.

Hodgson got 17 goals in 52 games and schroeder had 10 in 62 and hodgson would have continud to dominate that league. schroeder hasnt improved nearly as much as hodgson would have. you can say thats assuming but i think most would agree hodgson would have been a point per game or real damn close in his 2nd full year

undersized players need to produce more than the average player. fact
& Schroeder isn't strong? Have you seen a picture of him? He is built for a small guy. Schroeder has always been a pass first player. The thing Schroeder has on his side that Hodgson doesn't: Speed! Something that is important in the NHL.

That IS assuming though. I'll go with what he showed in his time in this system. Is it a surprise that he started to produce in the AHL this year when he was in another system? The same system that Kassian was producing in less then a year ago in? It surely isn't a coincidence IMO.

Old
Tiranis

Schroeder has 1 post and 1 post off his assist to Sweatt, bad luck.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Haydar with a goal!

Finally does something.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:24 PM
orcatown

And now Haydar has his first goal of the year

Old
12-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Miskovic and Sweatt with the assists.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

K-conn got some shots on Morin.

Old
Tiranis

Looks like Morin is bleeding after that fight. Connauton got him pretty good.

Old
orcatown

Morin in concussion territory. Connauton might have broke his jaw

Closed Thread