HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Pseudonymous

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Was last year too since he finished tied for 2nd on his team... and was absolutely dominant in the last 35 games or so. But it's ok, you can ignore that just like you do everything else in this thread that goes against what you believe.
So tell me, why do you think Schroeder is being benched and the gm says he needs to turn his game around and all these other prospects you list are in the nhl or will be, before schroeder?

If his ES strength is exactly where they want it to be and its just as good as all other prospects and its only his PP that suffers, well what is stopping him?

Im actually curious of your views on whats holding him back

Old
12-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
the gm says he needs to turn his game around
Source?

As for the rest of your comment? Last season we traded Hodgson who was drafted a year sooner and was further along because we didn't want to go into the playoffs with an inexperienced center. Did you really expect Schroeder to get a chance?

This season we have a lockout. Prior to that he was widely expected to be our #2/#3C this season. Gillis had said as much all summer.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:07 PM
arsmaster

i just cant understand how hard it is for one guy to understand that you can't view all stats in a vacuum.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Source?

As for the rest of your comment? Last season we traded Hodgson who was drafted a year sooner and was further along because we didn't want to go into the playoffs with an inexperienced center. Did you really expect Schroeder to get a chance?

This season we have a lockout. Prior to that he was widely expected to be our #2/#3C this season. Gillis had said as much all summer.
http://www.teamradio.ca/podcast/spor...way_Honda~.mp3

I haven't listed yet , somebody mentioned gilman stating schroeder/kassian and connauton needing to turn it around and posted that link (i'd argue that kassian gets a pass because he's lucky enough to make it into the lineup for other reasons)

every year we're going to be going into the playoffs, schroeder never going to get a look? he didn't get a look because he wasn't ready

he was slotted in there because we have absolutely no other option. i dont believe the gm slotted schroeder into our #2 spot. im sure he isn't even considering him as our third now. i believe he'll sign somebody like arnott. its only fans who speculated he might get a shot because people love to see our prospects get a shot

Last edited by Pseudonymous: 12-09-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old
12-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
http://www.teamradio.ca/podcast/spor...way_Honda~.mp3

I haven't listed yet , somebody mentioned gilman stating schroeder/kassian and connauton needing to turn it around and posted that link (i'd argue that kassian gets a pass because he's lucky enough to make it into the lineup for other reasons)

every year we're going to be going into the playoffs, schroeder never going to get a look? he didn't get a look because he wasn't ready
The only guy that gets called out for playing badly is Eddie Lack, nobody else gets mentioned by name or even obscurely criticized. Also that's Laurence Gilman, not Gillis. The only thing I heard Gillis say on December 4th was that some guys have been inconsistent and he mentioned Kassian in particular.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
The only guy that gets called out is Eddie Lack, nobody else gets mentioned by name or even obscurely criticized.
Odd, then not sure why that poster mentioned schroeder

Though i still believe the GM isn't pleased if they see their farm team benching them. it hardly makes me think they still have him penciled in as their center, ANYWHERE in the lineup

canucks management usually respect and see eye to eye with what they are doing

Old
12-09-2012, 07:55 PM
14s incisor

Quote:

Though i still believe the GM isn't pleased if they see their farm team benching them. it hardly makes me think they still have him penciled in as their center, ANYWHERE in the lineup

Maybe the benching was unwarranted. I would certainly hope the GM isn't pleased....with Arniel...

Old
12-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Elbows of Bure

Quote:

My memory may be fuzzy, but during the whole benching bru-haha, the reason for benching Schroeder was that they were playing back-to-back games and Schoeder partially sat out for precautionary reasons. He pulled a muscle in his leg, or something like that.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:56 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:

What's the point of even saying what Schroeder can and cannot do until he at least given a chance at the NHL. AHL success does not = NHL success or Sterling, Mancari, Chris Bourque and many more would be NHL super stars.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
What's the point of even saying what Schroeder can and cannot do until he at least given a chance at the NHL. AHL success does not = NHL success or Sterling, Mancari, Chris Bourque and many more would be NHL super stars.
Im not saying what he can and cannot do, i do think he might make the nhl and hes a good player. Im a fan of him.

This all just stemmed because they think his numbers and play are good this year.

Meanwhile im saying for a guy his size and style, his numbers should be much better.

and it got out of control from there, they think hes doing just fine for his size and perimeter play

players like him typically aren't given chances after chances to stick unless they produce big numbers and there are certain types of points that translate into the nhl better.

kassians 50 points translates better than an undersized soft perimeter players points. they disagree. thats fine.

while 45 pts might be good for one guy, it might not be enoguh for another

basically all just disagree on how good schroeder has played this year.

Last edited by Pseudonymous: 12-09-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old
12-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Just because our big guns (TSK) aren't struggling the most is not a good thing, i cannot agree with this. Agree to disagree.
It would be better if the guys we needed on the big club were the ones struggling the most? The most important players on that team are Tanev, Kassian and Schroeder. The fact that they are leading the way for that team is a good sign even with their struggles.

You're looking for arguments where they aren't there, I agree with what you said... it is a problem. Changing draft strategy or firing scouts would be an overreaction to the problem is what I was saying. Maybe a trade or a coaching change would be in order before re-writing the manuel?

Last edited by Scurr: 12-09-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old
12-09-2012, 08:14 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
What I find extremely concerning is how Kassian has only 6 goals and 12 points in 20 games for the Wolves, yet people before this season were ready to hand him 1st or 2nd line duty on the Canucks. Pauser's right again.

12-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
What I find extremely concerning is how Kassian has only 6 goals and 12 points in 20 games for the Wolves, yet people before this season were ready to hand him 1st or 2nd line duty on the Canucks. Pauser's right again.

Kassian is playing on a team that doesn't score goals and with players that aren't any good, his production isn't a problem at all. The continued inconsistency is the only thing holding him back from being a top 6 forward in the NHL, whether you want to believe it or not.

The Canucks had another young player that wasn't going to do anything in the NHL because he didn't light up the AHL... Cody_whats_his_name?

Old
12-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post

Kassian is playing on a team that doesn't score goals and with players that aren't any good, his production isn't a problem at all. The continued inconsistency is the only thing holding him back from being a top 6 forward in the NHL, whether you want to believe it or not.
Don't worry, he'll have to eat his fair share of crow in a couple of years. Just like how we should've signed Gaborik instead of the Sedins.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Why is that concerning? He has all the time in the world to get it right when he plays on the canucks. Because he is an nhl player currently. And has all the tools to remain there despite putting up numbers

I think for a player who has shown what he can do, isnt quite a bit deal when they get off to a below average pace in the first 20 games. Hes also shown the ability to take over games single handedly.

and his game translates into the nhl quite well so 25 goals by kassian still makes me think he can get 25 in the nhl.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:25 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
tbf he's 2 points behind the point leader (Sterling) in the team; Schroeder is just 1 point shy (who leads the team in goal scoring). The team as a whole is scoring little.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Scurr

How many goals would Burrows have in the AHL playing with Longpre and Sweatt and Sauve/Joslin feeding him the puck

Old
12-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Laterade

Quote:
To be fair, the whole team is struggling to score goals. It's more of a chemistry thing than anything. I feel like they are going to have to lean heavily on goaltending like they did before in Manitoba. I see alot of similarities.

Haydar = Keane
Lack = Schnieder
Ebbet = Bliznak
Sweatt = Grabner
Sterling = Rosa
Desbiens = ****ing Desbiens

Old
12-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
His production has always been fine until he played for the Wolves. Everyone's production has hit the wall this year, in fact, the coaching is a mess and the veterans on the roster has been pretty underwhelming.

Not to say he deserves a top 6 spot, but when people are saying this, it goes to show how weak our top 6 is outside of the Sedin line and Kesler.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Pseudonymous

Jesus people are so quick to make excuses for players. Im the biggest kassian fan there is, i think this guy is going to be insanely good but his numbers are on par with how hes played. This isn't all the wolves fault or haydars fault

Kassian is more than capable of playing better

Sure a tiny bit is due to his surroundings but moreso due to him not giving enough effort consistently

He is not a complimentary player whatsoever, he should be a driving force

None of it matters though because hes got a ticket to the nhl regardless

Old
12-09-2012, 08:42 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Jesus people are so quick to make excuses for players. Im the biggest kassian fan there is, i think this guy is going to be insanely good but his numbers are on par with how hes played. This isn't all the wolves fault or haydars fault

Kassian is more than capable of playing better

Sure a tiny bit is due to his surroundings but moreso due to him not giving enough effort consistently
Exactly.

I'm not saying Kassian is trash or anything like that (or a bust). I'm saying he is proving this year why it was completely ridiculous to pencil him in as a top 6 forward for the Canucks. We are a team that has had seriously embarassing problems scoring in the playoffs for TWO years now, and some people were happy throwing him in our top 6 like he would help. He's proving that he's an inconsistent project that is still a work in progress.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:45 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Exactly.

I'm not saying Kassian is trash or anything like that (or a bust). I'm saying he is proving this year why it was completely ridiculous to pencil him in as a top 6 forward for the Canucks. We are a team that has had seriously embarassing problems scoring in the playoffs for TWO years now, and some people were happy throwing him in our top 6 like he would help. He's proving that he's an inconsistent project that is still a work in progress.
I am just happy with Kassian to add size and offense to the 3rd line like we desperately need on the big club. He could play well with the twins but that would require Burrows to really suck first. I understand the notion of people using that pencil before their brain.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Exactly.

he'll be our 2nd liner by next year IMO. Thats just my opinion and feeling, i can see how one could argue that though.

though if there was a full season, i wouldn't think its crazy to think he'd make his way up there by the end.

sadly there wont even be a full season now so its hard to imagine him doing it now

Old
12-09-2012, 08:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
I am just happy with Kassian to add size and offense to the 3rd line like we desperately need on the big club. He could play well with the twins but that would require Burrows to really suck first. I understand the notion of people using that pencil before their brain.
I wouldn't have a problem at all giving Kassian time on the 3rd line.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Tiranis

The stat scouting is killing me... and I'm not buying that pseudonymous01 is actually watching the games given his description of Kassian's play (and Schroeder's for that matter, who is not a perimiter player as he keeps claiming). Kassian had a very good game last night but had nothing to show for it on the scoresheet. Schroeder had a very good game too and only got 1 lucky assist out of it (+ 2 posts).

I love how the fact that everybody's stats regress on the Wolves is continually overlooked to make a point, sometimes about Schroeder, other times about Kassian. There's so much statistical gymnastics in this thread it's making my head spin.

Closed Thread