HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who to protect in an Expansion draft

Old
12-01-2012, 08:07 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Who to protect in an Expansion draft

I found this article on another board, posted by LadyStanley. With rumors that the NHL is considering putting two new franchises in Canada, the article looks at the last expansion draft and considers which players might be protected on each team.

The writer does not seem to realize 26 yr old MacDonald, plays 1st pairing mins for the isles and is very important to them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-exp...0232--nhl.html
NHL expansion draft would cause tough decisions
By Adam Proteau | The Hockey News – Thu, Nov 29, 2012 3:40 PM EST

Back then, the league’s 28 teams were presented with a choice: protect one goalie, five defensemen and nine forwards or protect two goalies, three defensemen and seven forwards.

New York Islanders (one goalie)
Forwards: Bailey, Grabner, Tavares, Martin, Moulson, Niederreiter, Nielsen, Okposo, Ullstrom,
Defensemen: Carkner, Hamonic, Streit, Visnovsky,
Goalies: Nabokov

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:24 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

An expansion draft would be interesting, but wouldn't affect the Isles. I would assume that the expansion pool would be chock full of veterans with undesirable contracts.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:27 AM
InformTheMasses

MacDonald probably left off unintentionally, as it says you can protect 5 defenseman if only protecting 1 goalie. They only list 4 protected d for Isles, I'm sure MacDonald is the 5th.

Dumb article anyway, can you tell there isn't much to write about for Hockey writers?

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
MacDonald probably left off unintentionally, as it says you can protect 5 defenseman if only protecting 1 goalie. They only list 4 protected d for Isles, I'm sure MacDonald is the 5th.

Dumb article anyway, can you tell there isn't much to write about for Hockey writers?
They would expose Carkner, not MacDonald. you can find a guy like him pretty much anywhere and not one of those 2 teams would pick him up. I am almost certain MacDonald would.
Now that I see you can protect 5, it might have been a typo?

Last edited by Pnut: 12-01-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Islanders1932

For an expansion draft are only NHL Players eligible to be taken? For example, could a team take Ryan Strome from us or Reinhart? or are they protected?

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:27 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
For an expansion draft are only NHL Players eligible to be taken? For example, could a team take Ryan Strome from us or Reinhart? or are they protected?

I don't think prospects with no NHL time, need to be protected.
If you look at the players selected in the article, you don't see teams protecting highly rated prospects like Nail/Strome/Galchenuk who have not reached the NHL.

Teams are protecting 15 players who have had at least 1 NHL season. Isles are protecting 20 yr old Nino, who's credited with playing 64 total NHL games.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:29 AM
CREW99AW

I notice the writer has Vancouver protecting Schneider, but not Luongo.

I would expect the Canucks to trade Loungo before losing him for nothing, in an expansion draft.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
An expansion draft would be interesting, but wouldn't affect the Isles. I would assume that the expansion pool would be chock full of veterans with undesirable contracts.
Isn't that why the Islanders should be worried? I mean no one would pick up a veteran with Redden-like play and a Redden-like contract. I don't think a guy like Bryz would get picked up, neither would Ricky. And those are the types who are likely to get unprotected.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:47 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Isn't that why the Islanders should be worried? I mean no one would pick up a veteran with Redden-like play and a Redden-like contract. I don't think a guy like Bryz would get picked up, neither would Ricky. And those are the types who are likely to get unprotected.
We all know Ricky wouldn't be selected in an expansion draft so why would the Isles worry? None of our elite prospects would be eligible so there would be no issue.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:44 PM
KyleBailey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
We all know Ricky wouldn't be selected in an expansion draft so why would the Isles worry? None of our elite prospects would be eligible so there would be no issue.
This. It doesn't give the Islanders any worries. Replace bottom guys like Reasoner/Boulton with Reasoner prime and Boulton prime. Same on the defensive side with Carkner.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:58 PM
StrongIslanders90

Not worried about losing anyone significant..

I care more about newer teams meaning new compition for Seedings,FA's, and Expands the first round of the draft...Also in a lottery system they would probablly have the first 2 overall picks. The only reason I bring that up is beause we have a good chance for a top 10 pick and It would suck to get pushed back. But I guess its betterthen the Hockey gods giving Mack to PIT and Jones to DET

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Do we have to protect a goalie? Who knows if Nabby resigns with us. I'd rather protect Frans.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
I hope the league stays at 30 teams. Like it needs anymore bankrupt franchises?

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Veteran journeyman

Last thing the NHL needs is to dilute talent further by adding two new teams. Still, it'd be interesting to see what the new teams' rosters would look like after an expansion draft. But after the "new" wears off, we'd be left with even more strict adherence to defensive-oriented systems to make up for the diluted talent.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Hipster Doofus

The trap is dead, we saw what happens when teams try toplay it in that philly tampa game. Defense by means of forecheck is whats in vogue, small puck movers are phasing out slow pylons as the defensive depth of choice. the NHLs talent pool is far from diluted, the drafts are churning out players every year. Expansion isnt my first choice but im not quite sure itll impact the league. A lack of revenue sharing will hurt the league more. Owners need to look put for eachother and stop following Jacobs and co.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:39 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
I hope the league stays at 30 teams. Like it needs anymore bankrupt franchises?
Actually in terms of perfect amount of teams for a playoff format, you need a number divided by 4(either 28 or 32). Basically if you can make 4 divisions, you have the top 4 teams from each division make the playoffs.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Islander102

Not that expansion is imminent, but that writer putting in Carkner over MacDonald is straight up pathetic journalism.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote