HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

According to AL Murray, Lehoux may be trade bait...

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

vCash: 500
According to AL Murray, Lehoux may be trade bait...

I read the Q & A with AM and he said he does not know where he will fit. If there was ever a time to trade him, it is now. Too bad he got injured. We'll see what happens.

D

Old
02-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
I didn't take it that way at all. He just didn't have an answer for the question and gave the best one he could. He knows the players read these articles and he wanted to be as realistic as possible.

Old
02-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

If there is no room for him and he is ready to make it to the next level, then the only logical decision is to trade him.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the kings payroll is somewhere between 26-28 mil. With the 24% roll back the payroll will be 22-24 mil. If the cap is set a 45 mil the kings have 20 mil to work with. A lot of high end teams will be looking to dump players for cheap and they can sign top talent who are still under 30 yrs.

However, I would let the kids stay in Manchester and sign cheap FA's so they can set themselves up for a shot at Crosby.

Dave

Old
02-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in LA
If there is no room for him and he is ready to make it to the next level, then the only logical decision is to trade him.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the kings payroll is somewhere between 26-28 mil. With the 24% roll back the payroll will be 22-24 mil. If the cap is set a 45 mil the kings have 20 mil to work with. A lot of high end teams will be looking to dump players for cheap and they can sign top talent who are still under 30 yrs.

However, I would let the kids stay in Manchester and sign cheap FA's so they can set themselves up for a shot at Crosby.

Dave
It is too early to make a decision with Lehoux. Even if he were healthy all year, he needs to prove to the organization and the GM's over other organizations that he can do it more than 1 year.
Going into training camp in 05-06 (if there is a season) Lehoux theoretically could surpass Amrstrong on the depth chart if he keeps improving. In 06-07, we could need a center.

If Lehoux can repeat or even surpass what he did this year, He wouold make more sense in a number one center role than Conroy or Armstrong and we will have a cheap young piece to build around.

I think the payroll is closer to 28-30 mil. A rollback isn't guaranteed. If the top teams are looking to dump players they more thanb likely aren't going to be players under 30.

Just my thoughts

Old
02-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
It is too early to make a decision with Lehoux. Even if he were healthy all year, he needs to prove to the organization and the GM's over other organizations that he can do it more than 1 year.
Going into training camp in 05-06 (if there is a season) Lehoux theoretically could surpass Amrstrong on the depth chart if he keeps improving. In 06-07, we could need a center.

If Lehoux can repeat or even surpass what he did this year, He wouold make more sense in a number one center role than Conroy or Armstrong and we will have a cheap young piece to build around.

I think the payroll is closer to 28-30 mil. A rollback isn't guaranteed. If the top teams are looking to dump players they more thanb likely aren't going to be players under 30.

Just my thoughts
Exactly. And Conroy's 33 years old + it's not written anywhere he'll put up Calgary-like numbers without Iginla on his line.

Dave, are you so sure Lehoux will tank? Ok, he's still unproven at NHL level, but to trade him now simply doesn't make sense. What are you going to get for him? A 3rd liner? A 3rd round pick? At best...Maybe. He was having his best season, but don't forget what he did in the 2 previous ones. DT won't go around asking in return the moon and the stars for him, because he won't find a lot of GMs willing to pay a lot for Yanick.
...and what if he keeps improving and in a couple seasons we have a legit top6 forward? He could have no room? Well, if he'll play well, AM will make some room for him, you can bet on it. You speak like the Kings 1-2 punch at center is Forsberg-Sakic.

IMO, trading him now would be a gigantic BS.

As Kingsjohn said, just my 2 cents.

Old
02-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Albi,

I never said he would tank. My impression from the AM interview was that there was no place for him right now and if the right player or offer was presented to the kings, he can be used as in a trade.

Dave

Old
02-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Albi,

I never said he would tank.

Dave
Yeah...you're right.
Sorry Dave, but I have a good feeling about Yanick and I'd like to see what he can do with the Kings. I don't wanna see another Timonen blossoming in another team...

Old
02-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Venom_17

I would like to use Lehoux at the next draft to move up. Say we pick 8th, we could trade that pick plus Lehoux to move into the top 3 or 4.

Old
02-15-2005, 07:32 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17
I would like to use Lehoux at the next draft to move up. Say we pick 8th, we could trade that pick plus Lehoux to move into the top 3 or 4.
I really like this idea.... Would help ALOT if we could get Johnson, Brule, Crosby.... Any of them would help us SO MUCH

Old
02-15-2005, 07:36 PM
McSorley 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
I really like this idea.... Would help ALOT if we could get Johnson, Brule, Crosby.... Any of them would help us SO MUCH
I like Johnson..( Crosby's to much a dream)

Old
02-15-2005, 10:17 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorley 33
I like Johnson..( Crosby's to much a dream)
Thats why i wrote his name last highly doubting that happens. Think about how cool out team's def would be: Petiot, Grebs, Gleason, Johnson, Visnovsky, Norstrom.... Our def would rule only problem is we still really lack a pure goal scorer or someone who will put up all the points for us yes NJ wins with defense and goaltending so lets follow their trend

Old
02-16-2005, 08:16 PM
washie

Lehoux

Lehoux reminds me alot of Justin Pepiunue (SP?), and for that alone but for other reasons id rather trade him and Sheifer (SP?) right now and try to get a good player for them with Lehoux of course being the focul point of the package. Kinda like Aulin was although I think health played a big part of that trade though.

Old
02-16-2005, 08:21 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by washie
. Kinda like Aulin was although I think health played a big part of that trade though.
I think Aulin's health and attitude had something to do with him getting traded. And it was Papineau.

Old
02-16-2005, 08:47 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
I am so glad you're not the GM for the Kings...Trade a possible top 2 Center that is costing you next to nothing while he's in the AHL to move up a few slots in the draft? Have you looked at the pipeline and the Kings current depth at center? Boyle is years away and there isn't much beyond that. Move Lehoux and Ryan is the #1 and Steckel is the #2 center in the currently playing depth at center....

Old
02-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Fingolfin

Lehoux's trade value may be higher than it was last year, but it's still not very good. His upside to the Kings is much greater than any potential trade in the forseeable future. Besides, with the state of the Kings today, it'd be a mistake for the Kings to trade any of their major prospects for anything other than Sidney Crosby. Particularly in regards to the ONLY prospect in our system projected to be a top-6 center within the next 2-3 years.

- Fin

Old
02-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but the kings payroll is somewhere between 26-28 mil.
DT said this morning that the Kings payroll would have been 32 million

Old
02-17-2005, 12:00 PM
R0CKET

Lehoux has progressed and is now looking to be on track to become a 2nd Line center at the NHL level if he continues to improve in say 3 years IMO. He'd be a weaker 2nd line guy if and when he did make the grade to be taking a regular NHL shift. What he does well, he doesn't do well enough of to be anywhere near the level of success that he's getting in the AHL...that is not really fast enough and could wind up the next Pavel Rosa. He is quite nifty with the puck and though but his size and lack of star power offensive skill (shooting, speed, size) would relegate his upside to that of a lower end 2nd line center. That again is IF he continues to pay the price at both ends of the ice, which he seemingly has only had one good season of doing.

While it seems like I'm bagging on the guy I'm not cuz I really admire how he's taken the failures a prime prospect in our system and has shown a determination to prove himself worthy.

The reason Al Murray is saying this though IMO is likely more due to the progress of Cammi. With his solid progress I see in Murray's comments that they have him pegged as the small Center who brings the sweet offensive game to LA's future and I don't think LA can have 2 small guys as top line centers on their club.

If I were going to deal Lehoux (obviously with others going to NY) I'd look to NYI for a Scatchard rather than say moving up in the draft. A big physical center/forward taking a regular 2-3 line shift capable of putting the hurt on someone is ALSO something this teams lacks for a bunch of reason. It may also keep guys like Cammi/Ziggy/Lubo...healthier over the course of the whole season.

Old
02-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Lehoux is 6'1". I don't think he has a size issue. Maybe he needs to bulk up.

D

Old
02-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Moving #8 to #4 usually costs at least a high 2nd round draft pick, and that's only if it happens to be a weak draft. Carolina traded a 2nd to move from #8 to #4 last year to get Andrew Ladd.

At this point, I don't think Lehoux is worth a high 2nd rounder.

Old
02-17-2005, 01:18 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
I hear what you're saying however, when you have a chance you should look at how Lehoux's season stacks-up against some of his draft class (2000). He was well ahead of several first and second round forwards in just about every stat category in the AHL prior to his injury...

He was ahead of Kurka, Hilbert, Boyes, Aulin, Yakubov, Varobiev, Smirnov, Smith

Old
02-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
At this point, the King's best strategy is to hold on to Lehoux and see what happens. His trade value probably hasn't risen that much with the injury in his breakout season. Yannick could come back even better next year, he could conversely come back worse. Either way they should see what happens.

Old
02-17-2005, 03:07 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
I hear what you're saying however, when you have a chance you should look at how Lehoux's season stacks-up against some of his draft class (2000). He was well ahead of several first and second round forwards in just about every stat category in the AHL prior to his injury...

He was ahead of Kurka, Hilbert, Boyes, Aulin, Yakubov, Varobiev, Smirnov, Smith
A lot of those guys aren't worth high 2nd rounders nowadays either. Boyes in particular was traded straight up for a decent 3rd line forward in Curtis Brown. Aulin got Anson Carter, but Washington's motivation (aka $$$) for that trade is way different than a team trying to trade down in the draft.

I could see Lehoux having value in a trade similar to Anshakov/Straka where the other team is somewhat desperate to dump a bad contract.

Closed Thread