HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles to Brooklyn 2015 Part III **Preseason Game v Devils 9-21-13

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
@ChrisBottaNHL: Charles Wang revealed he received many bids from cities outside NY. In the end, he wanted #Isles to stay in NY. #sbjsff
https://twitter.com/chrisbottanhl/st...17078769418241

Old
04-18-2013, 11:11 AM
19 in a row

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Oh for Christ's sake are we really going to have this discussion again? Queens and Brooklyn are a part of Long Island. Period. End of story. If you don't believe so go back to elementary school geography.
I have not followed closely here recently, and am not debating anything about the move here but has anyone actually said that Brooklyn is not geographically on long island? That would be obviously wrong. On the other hand ask people from Brooklyn if they are Long Islanders and in my experience they will say almost unanimously "NO". I know you are originally from here, so I am sure you know that when people refer to Long Island they generally mean Nassau/Suffolk, when they refer to the City they generally mean Manhattan. When someone says Long Island, Brooklyn is seldom if ever inferred. Brooklyn is Brooklyn. IMO, and feel free to disagree, from my experiences people from Brooklyn have always been proud and consider themselves from Brooklyn first (you will not hear them say they are from NYC, even if they are out of state at the time). Just look how that community identified with the Dodgers over a half century ago, that pride is still there be it for bagels or pizza or anythig associated with Brooklyn. There are cultural and practical differences. I was born in Queens but have lived the majority of my life in Nassau. There are some common bonds with Queens and Long Island but Brooklyn and its people have always considered themselves a different community, yes? We have bridges and tunnels so geography has little to do with it, I can get to parts of NJ easier by car for instance than I can to certain parts of brooklyn by car or train for example. Distance by miles is not the overriding factor in the discusison. In any event depending on where you sit the Islanders are coming or going, you may be happy or sad, but they are not staying put.. culturally or practically.. just a fact, all good, done deal, just a matter of when, which now seems likely a year earlier than originally thought. "Can't we all just get along?" Let's GO ISLES

Old
04-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
https://twitter.com/chrisbottanhl/st...17078769418241

Charles Wang revealed he received many bids from cities outside NY. In the end, he wanted #Isles to stay in NY
THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!

Here are some other things taken from the conversation -

Wang on moving to BKN: "My father used to tell me, 'go where you're loved"

Wang makes a bit of news: his NeuLion will be tech provider for live streaming of Barclays Center events

Wang jokes, "the Nassau Coliseum may be as old as the Roman Colosseum

https://twitter.com/SBJSBD

Old
04-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
A little more:

https://twitter.com/ChrisBottaNHL/st...14556143034368

https://twitter.com/ChrisBottaNHL/st...13815974191105

as long as he owns the team, it will be called the NY Islanders and the crest won't be messed with.

Hmmm, so a new owner could possibly bring a new name and crest.

Would you rather have Wang as owner and the same name and crest?

Or would you rather have a new owner with a new name (Brooklyn Islanders) and logo?

Old
04-18-2013, 12:04 PM
SouthShore91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post

Or would you rather have a new owner with a new name (Brooklyn Islanders) and logo?
If they change the name/crest/colors at all count me out

Old
04-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Bunk Moreland

I don't think he's selling the team so to me its irrelevant

Old
04-18-2013, 12:15 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:

The name/crest will be an afterthought discussion once the team moves to Brooklyn and starts to win. The value of the "new York islanders" will increase dramatically. If the Isles relocated or did not have a winning tradition however at away it is, the. I can see the case being made.

It is super hard to build a recognizable brand. The isles just need to "win" ad the value will return, if not be rewarded.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:19 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
More from Botta's interview:

https://twitter.com/SBJSBD/status/324906537292288000

Well this must have been awkward...
Wang trying to "repair" his image now? Granted Snow silenced Botta, but for Wang to do this beyond his number 2 (snow) should not be underestimated from Wanger. Wang knows Bottas audience.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:21 PM
doublechili

vCash: 398
I think the whole name/logo thing is overrated to the extent that there are plenty of opportunities to take advantage of the Brooklyn brand without changing the official name or the primary uniform: 3rd jersey, hats, t-shirts, etc. can (and will) all use "Brooklyn". And people are going to call the team what they want to (Brooklynites can informally call them the Brooklyn Islanders).

Old
04-18-2013, 12:24 PM
wingnutks

I wonder if people had this discussion in '72? "Do you think they will call them the Nassau Islanders?"

Old
04-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Oleg4Prez

I wouldn't mind either way, If it's New York Islanders or Brooklyn Islanders. I just think they need to keep the Islanders in the name. A lot of history.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
I don't think he's selling the team so to me its irrelevant
I think he's selling in time so it's very relevant IMO.

He said "as long as I own the team.........". He didn't have to say that if he wasn't planning on selling eventually. (Plus all the other things like the broker/looking for buyer piece a while back etc.)

Old
04-18-2013, 12:53 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
I think he's selling in time so it's very relevant IMO.

He said "as long as I own the team.........". He didn't have to say that if he wasn't planning on selling eventually. (Plus all the other things like the broker/looking for buyer piece a while back etc.)
You make a good point. So long as Wang owns the isles, I don't think we'll see major changes.

Yormark sounds like he'd like a major jersey change, while Wang's resistant to the idea.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...5049--nhl.html
While noting that 70 percent of the Islanders' 5,000 season-ticket holders have said they plan to retain their tickets in some form after the move, Yormark said, ďAt the same time, we need to introduce the sport and the game to a new fan base here in Brooklyn. How do you connect those dots? I think we're going to have to meet each other somewhere in the middle. The colors black and white are the new badge of honor in Brooklyn. The question is, Can we weave that into their color scheme, and create a connection to the fans here in Brooklyn?"

Old
04-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Wang responds to questions about a jersey change.

https://twitter.com/sbjsbd/status/324909366664908800
Wang: Islanders name, main color scheme will remain the same. No overhaul change along those lines coming. #sbjsff

8:36 AM - 18 Apr 13
Quote:
More from Botta's interview:

https://twitter.com/SBJSBD/status/324906537292288000

Well this must have been awkward...
Quote:
Quote:
THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!

Here are some other things taken from the conversation -

Wang on moving to BKN: "My father used to tell me, 'go where you're loved"

Wang makes a bit of news: his NeuLion will be tech provider for live streaming of Barclays Center events

Wang jokes, "the Nassau Coliseum may be as old as the Roman Colosseum

https://twitter.com/SBJSBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
You make a good point. So long as Wang owns the isles, I don't think we'll see major changes.

Good stuff!!

Yormark sounds like he'd like a major jersey change, while Wang's resistant to the idea.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...5049--nhl.html
While noting that 70 percent of the Islanders' 5,000 season-ticket holders have said they plan to retain their tickets in some form after the move, Yormark said, ďAt the same time, we need to introduce the sport and the game to a new fan base here in Brooklyn. How do you connect those dots? I think we're going to have to meet each other somewhere in the middle. The colors black and white are the new badge of honor in Brooklyn. The question is, Can we weave that into their color scheme, and create a connection to the fans here in Brooklyn?"

You address this with a Black & White jersey of some kind I would suspect.

04-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...arly-1.5097774

Islanders owner Charles Wang said Thursday he would favor moving the team to Brooklyn one season earlier than planned, even as he reiterated his commitment to fulfill the lease at Nassau Coliseum.

Asked about the possibility of moving in time for 2014-15, rather than in 2015-16, when the Islanders are scheduled to begin playing at the Barclays Center, Wang said, "I've talked to [Barclays Center developer] Bruce [Ratner] about this, obviously, and it would be nice if we could and there is maybe an opportunity.

"But government works in very strange ways many times, and some of them we don't understand what the result is. We are committed to fulfill our lease. All our plans are our first season is '15-16."

Old
04-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

https://twitter.com/chrisbottanhl/st...36494634651649

ChrisBottaNHL: Charles Wang: Barclays/Nets staff will run the #Isles business side. Wang/Snow still over-see hockey operations. #sbjsff

Old
04-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Islesin93*

as I thought it was only a matter of time until the logo gets a complete revamp, they know damn well the people in Brooklyn and the surrounding areas could care less about a Long Island based team, and don't tell me "Brooklyn is a part of Long Island" because I assure you no Brooklynite wants to be a part of Long Island

enjoy these last couple of years because they will be the last years of the New York Islanders as we know it, just amazing how some people are so quick to make the move to Brooklyn, absolutely ZERO pride in the Islanders and all they have accomplished

Old
04-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Metnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
as I thought it was only a matter of time until the logo gets a complete revamp, they know damn well the people in Brooklyn and the surrounding areas could care less about a Long Island based team, and don't tell me "Brooklyn is a part of Long Island" because I assure you no Brooklynite wants to be a part of Long Island

enjoy these last couple of years because they will be the last years of the New York Islanders as we know it, just amazing how some people are so quick to make the move to Brooklyn, absolutely ZERO pride in the Islanders and all they have accomplished
So the owner makes it a point to say twice that the logo, colors and team name will not be changing and you come up with this conclusion. Are you privvy to information that we aren't or are you just speculating without any information/source?

Old
04-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Steve55

I think Wang will sell within the next decade with a huge payout (400M) with the possible breakdown as following:

If Brett Yormark wants black and white, have them as third jerseys. But have the White as the main color with black as the complementary. Dark jerseys at home generally suck.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Islesin93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metnut View Post
So the owner makes it a point to say twice that the logo, colors and team name will not be changing and you come up with this conclusion. Are you privvy to information that we aren't or are you just speculating without any information/source?
based on Yormarks remarks, it sounds like he is trying to prepare the Islander fans

and as it is stated, the Wang/Snow will oversee the Hockey Operations while the Nets/Barclays will see the business side

business meaning appeal to the Brooklynites and that means a more Brooklyn friendly product

Old
04-18-2013, 03:18 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
I think Wang will sell within the next decade with a huge payout (400M) with the possible breakdown as following:

If Brett Yormark wants black and white, have them as third jerseys. But have the White as the main color with black as the complementary. Dark jerseys at home generally suck.
I don't think Wang is going to wait long to sell. I think it will be in the 3-4 year range, just enough time to re-build the value of the team to a point where he won't lose money on the sale.

Old
04-18-2013, 03:59 PM
OpAck

I've always thought that Wang would have a very hard time keeping the team name/colors/logos the same in Brooklyn and that he would ultimately be pressured into embracing the "Brooklyn brand" more than he or any of us would be comfortable with. I'm not surprised the Barclays group is seeking some "middle ground" in the Isles overall image. Scary, considering if Wang ultimately leaves or relinquishes some control over his team, I suspect more radical changes would end up being made.

I really suspect they're mostly interested in changing the name to the Brooklyn Islanders and dumping "NY". That's just my gut feeling. My other gut feeling is that #2 on their list of changes they really want, is to incorporate black into the jersey. Not necessarily dumping blue and orange altogether...but bringing the colors a little closer to match the overall brand they're going for. I mean, Barclays is full of black and white...and it's the Nets color. I do believe they'll really want the Isles to adopt that as well.

If they're really pushing hard and giving Wang a hard time...my line in the sand would be the switch to Brooklyn Islanders. That's about as far as I'd be comfortable going and even that's difficult for me to concede. And that would ONLY be on the condition that the logo, jersey, and colors are not messed with (outside of maybe adding a Brooklyn-themed shoulder patch and adding the whole island to the logo). If they have to meet somewhere in the middle, as Wang, that would be my deal..."I'm keeping my colors/logo/jersey (with those few minor modifications) intact and we'll agree to change the name to Brooklyn Islanders and allow for a Brooklyn-themed 3rd jersey". Heck, even agree to allow the "Brooklyn" script on the side of the helmets, like they did a few years ago with the Islanders name.

Alot of people will end up having a serious problem with a change from NY Islanders to Brooklyn Islanders...like myself...but I think it's more important to preserve the colors, jersey, and logo and if I'd have to "give" anything up...the Brooklyn name would be as far as I'd go.

Once Wang exits though...I'm afraid alot may end up changing. But my hope is that the Isles start having some success there and can get established with the current colors and style that it'll make it hard for changes to be made. Wishful thinking, I know.

Old
04-18-2013, 06:07 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Below is the entire article.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/S...spx?print=true
On a deal failing in Nassau County failing but succeeding in Brooklyn: "[The deal] is every thing we wanted to do for Long Island. Except we failed. And Bruce Ratner, as you all know, succeeded. It's a bittersweet kind of thing because we wanted to make sure the team stayed local. It was so important, because this is where I grew up. This was my neighborhood. ... I didn't think we would fail in building it, and I really didn't think [Ratner] had that much of a chance. After all, he was on top of a rail yard. But with all his obstacles, I didn't realize our obstacles were bigger. ... As time went on, it became more and more evident that this was a great alternative."On talks with other cities: "There were offers, bona fide offers to move it. ... We made the commitment to try everything possible to stay local. It's the New York Islanders."

Old
04-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Islanders' Charles Wang OK with leaving Nassau Coliseum early

Pressed by Christopher Botta, a former Islanders executive who interviewed him at a Sports Business Journal symposium in Brooklyn, Wang said, "If it makes sense for everyone, obviously we would ."
Later, Wang told Newsday "We are not in any discussions" about leaving Nassau Coliseum next year.
"It's really not in my control," he said. "We will work with whatever the county does. We are prepared to honor the lease, which is what we're doing now. . . . [Moving early] would be fine, but we're set with where we are and what it is is what it is. We knew this going in."

Old
04-18-2013, 09:00 PM
RichOnTheLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post

Pressed by Christopher Botta, a former Islanders executive who interviewed him at a Sports Business Journal symposium in Brooklyn, Wang said, "If it makes sense for everyone, obviously we would ."
Later, Wang told Newsday "We are not in any discussions" about leaving Nassau Coliseum next year.
"It's really not in my control," he said. "We will work with whatever the county does. We are prepared to honor the lease, which is what we're doing now. . . . [Moving early] would be fine, but we're set with where we are and what it is is what it is. We knew this going in."
Even though the organization has said they will honor their current lease, I honestly feel, unfortunately, that next season will be the last one at the Coliseum.

I honestly don't like discussing the whole Brooklyn thing, even though I fully understand both sides of the story. I am at least happy that I can still watch my team play on their same current channel. Also, having them "nearby" is nice in some ways.

Once they start discussing changing the name and colors of the team, then I'll be really disgusted!

Closed Thread