HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles to Brooklyn 2015 Part III **Preseason Game v Devils 9-21-13

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 11:18 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Many apologies SS, I made the assumption you came on board with the addition of Streit.

On teams changing things up, the Leafs embraced change, but they didn't move, didn't change the general color scheme....

If Wang decided to buy a bunch of old Chicago Sting unis and make the club wear those would that be acceptable? No way. To make money all they need to do is rebrand... by doing business like a respectable club. No more of this garbage of a hockey ignorameous like Wang cutting the legs out from underneath his GM and hiring guys for 20 years at too much per year, and then ruining the locker room by kissing a select number of player butts just like Ballard did when he owned the Leafs. That would be a wonderful rebranding, and no color would need to change. People would flock to a winner for once.
No problem at all-it happens. I bleed orange/blue (and I'm sure that you do as well).

But I think that the Isles had to move in the end. The NVMC just isn't feasible in today's NHL anymore. And nothing was ever going to be built. Then the people voted it down. They had to move-now did they have to move to Brooklyn? Not as soon as they did. I would have preferred Queens absolutely-but that was never as realistic (neither was Suffolk as some others have suggested).

I happen to agree that they should keep their colors, and their logo (ok add BK/Queens to it-but that's not really a big deal), and keep their name. But realistically it's going to be a monetary decision-not one based on history.

Anyways I don't think that moving to Brooklyn, and rebranding (to an extent) is giving up on the past at all. Some posters (not saying you)-think anything they do to change a single thing is a tragedy.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Bert Marshall days

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
What's the grace period the team should have on floundering soon after a Dynasty? 5years? 6? Until the last of the Dynasty players had moved on?

Not advancing past the first round 3 times in 5 years is nothing to get excited about. Today that would earn them a parade.

After 4 cups in a row, I would consider 5 years of early exits a long time.
So unless they win cups or if they don't win many playoffs 5 years after it's ok not to attend? You do realize other teams don't sniff anywhere near that success yet have consistently great attendance.

For a fan to have this pov all I can say is that's utter nonsense and part of the reason why NYI is leaving nassau.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:25 AM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
So unless they win cups or if they don't win many playoffs 5 years after it's ok not to attend? You do realize other teams don't sniff anywhere near that success yet have consistently great attendance.

For a fan to have this pov all I can say is that's utter nonsense and part of the reason why NYI is leaving nassau.
Which teams?

The ones that don't have other pro sports in their area? Or the teams located in Canada? Those teams that don't share a city with another team (or two)? How about the cost of living?

Are there teams that get supported no matter what? Yeah. But when you consistently don't put a winning product on the ice, attendance tends to go away. Look at the Mets, the Knicks, etc. they've all had horrible attendance during the rough years...it comes with being in the New York market (and playing so many games).

Old
06-12-2013, 01:40 AM
SouthShore91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
And Long Islanders voted down a new arena that would have kept on Long Island. They only have themselves to blame. They had their chance-and they dropped the ball.

It's LONG ISLAND'S fault. Sure people can blame politicians (but who votes them in), they can point the finger wherever they want-but in reality they should point it at themselves. The vote failed-they had their chance-and they failed. Period.

Be grateful they're only moving 25 miles away-and not to a different country and/or time zone!
I'd like to point out that as a Suffolk resident I never got a vote for diddly squat. I just had my team ripped away.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:43 AM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post

They stopped selling out in Montreal in the early 1980s and they stopped selling out in Edmonton by thr late 1990s.

Its one thing to remain competitive. By 1990 the Islanders had an owner who was barely interested in owning the team. It showed in the on-ice product and that translates to ticket sales.

So what teams are you referring to?

Old
06-12-2013, 07:34 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
I bet attendance is going to be very lackluster in BK
Correction. You hope attendance is going to be very lackluster in BK.

This thread is so very tiresome. I can't wait until they ****ing move already so I don't have to read this bellyaching all the time. Like little boys who have had their hearts broken for the first time. Unbelievable!

Old
06-12-2013, 08:04 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShore91 View Post
This is where you're wrong though. You don't understand the cultural significance/differences of what that 25 miles means. Long Islanders (especially those who are Islanders fans) see themselves and saw the Islanders as something distinct and different from the city and the Islanders represented that pride. This WAS Long Island's team. No matter that it said "New York" in front of Islanders they were definitely the Long Island Islanders, even though there will be the few that make the trek from Westchester/Jersey/Brookyln/Queens all these people probably started out as Long Islanders.
BINGO!

If they moved to new jersey that would be what? only 35 miles? There would be no need to be upset in that scenario either I guess.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:10 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Correction. You hope attendance is going to be very lackluster in BK.

This thread is so very tiresome. I can't wait until they ****ing move already so I don't have to read this bellyaching all the time. Like little boys who have had their hearts broken for the first time. Unbelievable!
What makes you think attendance is going to be good? The Nets were a pretty easy ticket to come by this season and they are a much more marketable entity in Brooklyn than the Islanders.

I think it is laughable that people think the Islanders are suddenly going to become a trendy / popular team in Brooklyn.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:12 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
"what the new fan base for the Islanders would like to see in Brooklyn"

AKA, forget the loyal fans that stuck with this team forever, we are gonna change it whether they like it or not because we need to worry about being Brooklyn hipsters.

A bit of an overreaction on my part, but that is pretty much what he is saying. It's about selling merchandise to the Brooklyn population.
Rangers fan coming to say this, this, this, alllll day^^^^^

Old
06-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
What makes you think attendance is going to be good? The Nets were a pretty easy ticket to come by this season and they are a much more marketable entity in Brooklyn than the Islanders.

I think it is laughable that people think the Islanders are suddenly going to become a trendy / popular team in Brooklyn.
I never said it was a given that it would. However, I'm not the one who constantly posts negatively about the move. Your bellyaching reeks of hard feelings and the hope that the franchise fails miserably when they move to Brooklyn. Like a spoiled child who didn't get his way, you're hoping for failure so that no one will be happy.

I'm happy they're moving for the simple reason that it means the team stays in the area for the next 27 years. If that's not enough for people, then they should just cut ties now and move on with life. There are better things to do than to walk around in a depressed haze because a hockey team is moving 30 miles away from where they currently play.

Ask Capitals fans if there was this much hand-wringing when they moved from Landover into DC proper....

Old
06-12-2013, 08:41 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
Did Yormark even say the team wouldn't be called the Islanders anymore? I think there's recognition that the team needs support from its Long Island fans as well as new fans in the Brooklyn area to be successful. I would suspect they would not do anything to completely alienate the former, but maybe there are some tweaks to include the latter. I don't think that's a horrible thing. We're lucky, I think. The local politicians had their chance to save the Islanders in Nassau and failed. The voters had their chance to save the Islanders in Nassau and failed. At that point, we really lost all leverage. But the team stayed local, and Yormark has acknowledged that the current fanbase on Long Island will get its due. If the final price we have to pay to have our team stay in the area is to deal with a little black in the jersey, then it's a small price.
Exactly. nice post

Old
06-12-2013, 08:44 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Rangers fan coming to say this, this, this, alllll day^^^^^
And thank you....it's totally true and I'm shocked people don't think Wang's involved, putting hockey, success and history on the shelf to market and make money.

You have to cheer the team no matter what....but when the jersey changes, might as well change the name and trade everyone because they won't be the Isles. Maybe Nassau will get their own Wild again if Brooklyn ends up f*ing with fans.

But I don't think they will. When the jersey gets screwed with, many will not be happy, and when negativity rises, the amount of people leaving work, going home and hitting the LIRR to see the black and white I'landuuuhhhzzzz in the hip little arena will dwindle. Any marketing survey will tell them this, so count on Yomark NOT changing **** with the team but in fact, given the opinion of the general fan and non hipster embracing Brooklyn Bridge monogram underwear fan, pushing blue and orange as the colors of Brooklyn now.

You can't market a product by losing or tossing away loyal consumers. You have to market the product to new consumers.

Thus, win.

I think Garth will work on making the team better next year.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:47 AM
duster19

Quote:
This is where you're wrong though. You don't understand the cultural significance/differences of what that 25 miles means. Long Islanders (especially those who are Islanders fans) see themselves and saw the Islanders as something distinct and different from the city and the Islanders represented that pride. This WAS Long Island's team. No matter that it said "New York" in front of Islanders they were definitely the Long Island Islanders, even though there will be the few that make the trek from Westchester/Jersey/Brookyln/Queens all these people probably started out as Long Islanders.
Then they should have gone out and supported THEIR team. The Islander attendance is laughable. I live in Canada and have probably seen more live games then local "Islander" fans. You had your chance to keep them, you blew it. Good on the Isles for finding a fantastic venue that will support them and is still somewhat local. This is a business, not a heritage project. Your culture should start involving watching hockey games.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:51 AM
duster19

Quote:

The attendance was already terrible. Nassau is leaking money. What were the Islanders suppossed to do? Sit there and hope that the people who hadnt come in 20 years were going to come in the 21st. People, we did this to ourselves. There was not enough support...

I think its laughable people expected this org to stay in Nassau.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:07 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

why dont people let this play out?

no one has ever said the jersey is changing, no one has ever even remotely insinuated the name is changing

the only thing that can be inferred is that they should have more money to spend on free agents, you know the things we have been complaining about for the last 15 years.

i grew up 10 minutes away from the coliseum, had season tickets from the moment i was born, gave them up in the late 90s yet continued to goto games whenever i could....i now have no doubt in my mind that me and my buddy will be splitting a half season in the upper deck upon their move to barclays

there should be new hope, excitement, maybe a little bit of nerves for the unexpected (will the stadium be sufficient? will the fans come out in droves? will wang finally sell/spend?)

for me, it sure as hell beats the alternative of uncertainty

Old
06-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Hipietro

Quote:
Does any of that even matter at all? If the cultural aspect of the Islanders being in Nassau County was so important, then Long Islanders should have done more to make sure they stayed there.

Believe me, I was born and raised, and still live on Long Island and I would love if the team could stay right where they are.

Some of you need to stop overreacting and realize the team is moving across town, not across the country. I've seen posters on here literally call Brooklyn "another world." I think those people need to get out more.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Hipietro

Quote:
BINGO!

If they moved to new jersey that would be what? only 35 miles? There would be no need to be upset in that scenario either I guess.
Brooklyn is part of New York and geographically part of Long Island. New Jersey is a different state.

How is that a fair comparison?

Old
06-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Wow this thread totally sucks. "...had my team ripped away from me." Umm they're moving a whopping 25 miles.

Are some of us going to stop going to games now? Cool. More ticket options for me. Cya later.

Nassau wasn't working, a decision had to be made. Get over it already. No one has a clue whats going to happen with attendance but we can all be damn sure it can't be worse than the last few years. So tired of people *****ing and complaining.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:03 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
I never said it was a given that it would. However, I'm not the one who constantly posts negatively about the move. Your bellyaching reeks of hard feelings and the hope that the franchise fails miserably when they move to Brooklyn. Like a spoiled child who didn't get his way, you're hoping for failure so that no one will be happy.

I'm happy they're moving for the simple reason that it means the team stays in the area for the next 27 years. If that's not enough for people, then they should just cut ties now and move on with life. There are better things to do than to walk around in a depressed haze because a hockey team is moving 30 miles away from where they currently play.

Ask Capitals fans if there was this much hand-wringing when they moved from Landover into DC proper....
Different teams different issues. Yes I am pissed off because this is feels to me like a re-location. If the mets moved to Nassau and took on more of a Long Island identity I bet a lot of queens/city/NJ mets fans would be pretty pissed off about it.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:05 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
Then they should have gone out and supported THEIR team. The Islander attendance is laughable. I live in Canada and have probably seen more live games then local "Islander" fans. You had your chance to keep them, you blew it. Good on the Isles for finding a fantastic venue that will support them and is still somewhat local. This is a business, not a heritage project. Your culture should start involving watching hockey games.
The mets attendance is laughable too, shod the mets move to brooklyn? Why does everyone assume moving to Brooklyn is a cure-all?

Old
06-12-2013, 10:06 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Different teams different issues. Yes I am pissed off because this is feels to me like a re-location. If the mets moved to Nassau and took on more of a Long Island identity I bet a lot of queens/city/NJ mets fans would be pretty pissed off about it.
your incessant whining is getting old....either root for the team or stop rooting for the team....

they will still play hockey on skates with a puck, in an arena.....if you want to be there, you will be there....stop acting like there will be hipsters in one corner of the rink, and thugs playing c-lo in the other corner....there will still be 15k plus hockey fans rooting on our team

Old
06-12-2013, 10:07 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
Does any of that even matter at all? If the cultural aspect of the Islanders being in Nassau County was so important, then Long Islanders should have done more to make sure they stayed there.

Believe me, I was born and raised, and still live on Long Island and I would love if the team could stay right where they are.

Some of you need to stop overreacting and realize the team is moving across town, not across the country. I've seen posters on here literally call Brooklyn "another world." I think those people need to get out more.
The issue is, and I'm in NY and have talked about this several times, but the issue isn't about LI, culture, identity....no.

TAXES, scam artists politicians and team owners, the state frauds, the city, it all adds up to a great place to live made ****ty by those who try their hardest to make people move out.

Taxes are insane. The County has stolen funds from the upkeep of the arena. SMG and D'Amato. Wang and his predecessors.

If the LHP had been as strong a proposal, as in no questions going unanswered and no BS revisions, it would have passed. EVERYONE wanted the tax revenue.

If the referendum was done by Dolan or someone competent enough to state, unequivocally, that taxes would not go up one dime no matter what (Wanger refused to do this), we'd have a new arena.

Yet we bash Murray......when clearly all parties are to blame. Now look how easy things get done with the NVMC site.

So LI just stood firm against taxes going up again. Taxes will go up because of this stance. I love the irony. So we can point the finger in any direction and see who f*ed the poodle.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:12 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
Brooklyn is part of New York and geographically part of Long Island. New Jersey is a different state.

How is that a fair comparison?
People were using 25 miles. So I made it 35... Why not make it 350... When does the mileage become significant? Or does it? Maybe all would be swell if it was 15 miles... Or 13

Old
06-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Hipietro

Quote:
People were using 25 miles. So I made it 35... Why not make it 350... When does the mileage become significant? Or does it? Maybe all would be swell if it was 15 miles... Or 13
People were using 25 miles because thats the distance between the NVMC and the Barclays Center, which is in Brooklyn...

35 miles would put you in NJ, 350 miles would put you in Western PA...

Not sure what hell your point is?

Old
06-12-2013, 11:16 AM
iLandHer

Quote:
The Mets used to play at the Polo Grounds, which wasn't in Queens. I don't think people were pissed (as did all the other NY sports teams that play outside).

And if the choice was, move to Nassau County or move to Quebec, they'd all choose Nassau. FYI, I'm a Mets fan.

Quote:
The mets attendance is laughable too, shod the mets move to brooklyn? Why does everyone assume moving to Brooklyn is a cure-all?
It's not a 'cure-all', it's a, 'so-glad-they-didn't-move-some-place that-we-can't-watch-them-and-can't-identify-with-but-still-gives-the team-the-opportunity-to-make-money' kind of thing.

Quote:
Doesn't matter about 35 or 350, because they aren't doing that. It's 25 miles. It takes slightly longer for some people to get to, but not any longer than any other New York sports team to get to, but gives you the availability of trains and subway and it keeps the team so you can go see them.

Do you have a problem with our other sports teams that have moved location? Do you root for the Giants, Jets, Mets, or Yankees?

Closed Thread