HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles to Brooklyn 2015 Part III **Preseason Game v Devils 9-21-13

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Steve55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
I really wish they were moving next to citi field instead... or staying in nassau
I think the Isles considered Citi Field higher on their list than Barclays.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...move-1.4154904

Among the options discussed for the Islanders over the years was an arena adjacent to the Mets' home in Queens. When asked at the World Series how he feels about the planned move to Brooklyn, Mets owner Fred Wilpon said, "I was expecting that. [Owner Charles Wang] tried so hard. For years he tried, and he just can't afford it. And the Barclays Center is really nice."

Chances are Isles went for a tax payer funded facility next to Citi Field.

But they were up against the following odds.

http://www.nycedc.com/nycida/faq

How many projects did NYCIDA close in recent years?

In FY2007, NYCIDA closed 56 projects, or approximately 28 percent of initial inquiries. In FY 2008, 42 projects closed, or about 21% of inquiries. In FY 2009, there were 12 closings. The majority of inquiries in 2009 were for benefits not available from NYCIDA, but instead for working capital or grants directly from the City.

What is the minimum project size to financially merit an NYCIDA transaction?

A project size of $1 million or greater is generally where the break-even point occurs, from the Company’s perspective. NYCIDA staff will work with you to determine if it is in a company’s interest – as well as in the City’s – to apply for NYCIDA benefits or to help identify other programs that may be a better fit.

Does NYCIDA provide loans or grants?

NYCIDA does not provide loans or grants, but instead acts as a conduit organization for financing in the bond market and it conveys certain tax reductions.

Obviously NYC felt floating 500 million dollars of tax payer funded bonds (may have been more) was too much.

Barclays received over 500 million dollars of tax payer money as well.

Last edited by Steve55: 03-28-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old
03-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=87772&navid=DL|NYI|home

It's amazing how often you see mistakes like this on company websites.

I'd actually like to go to the game against the Pens again and talk to my other self about it while I'm there.

Mitch

Old
04-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Schultz from point blank:

Quote:
@Schultz88: Sources: Isles looking at leaving for Brooklyn a year early, prior to 2014-15 season. County believed to be open to the idea...
Quote:
@Schultz88: Sources (cont): Leaving this summer, prior to 13-14, considered "too soon". A few regular season games at Barclays a possibility next year.
https://twitter.com/schultz88/status/321260471967703040
https://twitter.com/schultz88/status/321260552775143424

Old
04-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Over the next several months, the Islanders and Nassau County are expected to discuss the possibility of the hockey team getting out of its Nassau Coliseum lease a year early. If they strike a deal, the Islanders would begin play at Barclays Center in Brooklyn at the start of the 2014-15 season.

According to sources with Nassau and the Islanders, both sides are open to a financial arrangement that could benefit the bankrupt county and the money-losing team. The Islanders’ lease does not expire for another two full seasons, in the summer of 2015.
http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...-a-year-early/

Old
04-08-2013, 09:06 AM
seafoam

vCash: 70
Awesome!

Old
04-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I for one hope that this does not happen. I am not looking Forward to a Brooklyn Move. I will still follow the team as they are still close enough to go to a game from time to time.
I like that the team is close to home right now and I can get there fairly Quickly and without a train or a traffic Filled Card ride. This season was the first season were I have not been to a ton of games. I usually make it out to about 10-15 Games a season. This season I been to 3 games so far. I do want to try to get tickets for this weekend. However I think its going to cost to Much $.
Once the isles move to Brooklyn I feel like I will almost never go to a Weeknight game unless the starts are 7:30. Even then I will be less likely. I also assume the cost will go up and make tickets way to costly. I think I will still make a few games but not to many maybe 2 or 3 games.
That will be what I miss the most being able to go to a lot of games at a low cost.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:16 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
I called it.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:47 AM
CREW99AW

Since we are headed to Brooklyn, since it's a done deal, I'm glad Wang/Snow are trying to get the isles there early.

Maybe it means Wang finally opens his checkbook.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:12 AM
seafoam

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Since we are headed to Brooklyn, since it's a done deal, I'm glad Wang/Snow are trying to get the isles there early.

Maybe it means Wang finally opens his checkbook.
Or maybe it means the team becomes more attractive to potential buyers. OR Wang could have a potential buyer in place with the deal pending on the early move.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Islanders1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Or maybe it means the team becomes more attractive to potential buyers. OR Wang could have a potential buyer in place with the deal pending on the early move.
I hope this is the case.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Things are finally starting to happen. That light at the end of the long tunnel is getting bigger and brighter. The team on the ice is winning... the long term future is secure... HOPEFULLY/likely, there is a new owner on the horizon. Maybe, just maybe the fans are FINALLY about to be rewarded for going through 20 years of being **** on. It's a nice feeling for a change.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Wedregast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
I hope this is the case.
I'd guess we all do. Would be awesome news.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Metnut

I'm all for the Brooklyn move but I had a complete blast at the Coli this Sat. The tailgaiting scene there is sort of unique amongst the local teams. I wouldn't mind having a couple of years to say goodbye to the Coli before moving into the new corporate arena.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Poliz24

Islanders May Be Leaving NVMC A Year Early?

Article on Islanders Point Blank:
http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...-a-year-early/

Old
04-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Steve55

Not a surprise. I don't think the Isles would have had an option to move out of Nassau early had they agreed to move elsewhere. It would have a lot better if Ratner decided not to save 200M back in 2009.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I for one hope that this does not happen. I am not looking Forward to a Brooklyn Move. I will still follow the team as they are still close enough to go to a game from time to time.
I like that the team is close to home right now and I can get there fairly Quickly and without a train or a traffic Filled Card ride. This season was the first season were I have not been to a ton of games. I usually make it out to about 10-15 Games a season. This season I been to 3 games so far. I do want to try to get tickets for this weekend. However I think its going to cost to Much $.
Once the isles move to Brooklyn I feel like I will almost never go to a Weeknight game unless the starts are 7:30. Even then I will be less likely. I also assume the cost will go up and make tickets way to costly. I think I will still make a few games but not to many maybe 2 or 3 games.
That will be what I miss the most being able to go to a lot of games at a low cost.
Good thing the colliseum is being downsized for minor league hockey.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Hyphistos

Well, this puts some pressure on my planned first trip to NY. I want to see the Islanders in the NVMC at least once before they move. I have planned it for spring next year anyway, so this should be just in time. And then the following year in Brooklyn. Sounds good

Old
04-08-2013, 12:15 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post

Gosh I wish everyone would get on board with the move to Brooklyn already or just stop supporting the team. I'm not saying you in particular, but I feel like so many don't get that if they didn't move to Brooklyn they'd probably be moving to another city far far away. You think taking the train to Brooklyn is long and expensive? Try taking it to Quebec.

Long Island, both the policiticans and the citizens, had their chance to keep the Islanders there and blew it twice. I wish all of you who wish the Islanders were staying in Nassau spent as much energy promoting the August 2011 referendum vote as you do now complaining about the move to Brooklyn. Just maybe if you did they'd be staying there in a shiny new arena.

The sooner we get the Brooklyn, the sooner they will have both the financial resources to spend and clout to make the team a Cup contender - Not just a team fighting for the 8th seed.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:25 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Gosh I wish everyone would get on board with the move to Brooklyn already or just stop supporting the team. I'm not saying you in particular, but I feel like so many don't get that if they didn't move to Brooklyn they'd probably be moving to another city far far away. You think taking the train to Brooklyn is long and expensive? Try taking it to Quebec.

Long Island, both the policiticans and the citizens, had their chance to keep the Islanders there and blew it twice. I wish all of you who wish the Islanders were staying in Nassau spent as much energy promoting the August 2011 referendum vote as you do now complaining about the move to Brooklyn. Just maybe if you did they'd be staying there in a shiny new arena.

The sooner we get the Brooklyn, the sooner they will have both the financial resources to spend and clout to make the team a Cup contender - Not just a team fighting for the 8th seed.
in all fairness, i think most isles fans voted for the referendum and told friends, family, etc to do the same (i know i did)

however, isles fans make up a tiny part of the populus on long island, so i dont think its fair to blame isles fans who still want them to stay at the nvmc.....this is coming from someone who is pro-brooklyn....

Old
04-08-2013, 12:32 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Selling a car with a lein on it is unattractive, but one with no lein is very attractive bc it's unencumbered. Any future buyers want Wang to handle Nassau. They'll buy free and clear when in Brooklyn.

Also, the valuation in the franchise will double/triple once it's in Brooklyn - that's supported by the Forbes article when you look at the valuations of the NYR and NJD.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:42 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
in all fairness, i think most isles fans voted for the referendum and told friends, family, etc to do the same (i know i did)

however, isles fans make up a tiny part of the populus on long island, so i dont think its fair to blame isles fans who still want them to stay at the nvmc.....this is coming from someone who is pro-brooklyn....
There are a ton of valid arguments for the team to stay in Nassau but hockey is, at the end of the day, a business, and from that perspective alone Wang had no other alternative at this time.

With that said I for one (someone who was very pro move to Queens or Brooklyn) will savor these last few seasons at the NVMC. (Especially these next few games where the place should be pretty lit up!)

Old
04-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyphistos View Post
Well, this puts some pressure on my planned first trip to NY. I want to see the Islanders in the NVMC at least once before they move. I have planned it for spring next year anyway, so this should be just in time. And then the following year in Brooklyn. Sounds good
Are you a European?

Why do you want to visit the Coliseum? (BTW, I spent my childhood at NVMC). I get it for people who went during the glory days and have a hard time saying goodbye. But for other reasons? It's such a hole.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:01 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Its hard to get to without a car too, very tourist unfriendly.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Bert Marshall days

Shultz is a little late to the party but each update via sources means it's 1 step closer to being official. The sooner the better. So it is written, so it shall be done -

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=107

Bankrupt nassau is why they lost NYI and why they might leave for Brooklyn sooner than 2015. Could all depend on Suozzi beating out Mangano in the fall. Makes sense for both broke nassau to get a big payout and NYI to get more revenue sooner than later in Brooklyn.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Hyphistos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Are you a European?

Why do you want to visit the Coliseum? (BTW, I spent my childhood at NVMC). I get it for people who went during the glory days and have a hard time saying goodbye. But for other reasons? It's such a hole.
Yeah, I'm from Austria. Well, the primary two motivations are that I want to visit NY and see the Islanders live anyway. So firstly, it will be just a nice coincident. But as I don't plan this to be the last time I just want to have seen both arenas. To have a comparison but also to see some part of the history... even if it is a dump nowadays. And I find it kind of nice to be part of it at least in the final year.

Don't know if this is understandable, but I'm rooting for this team more than for any local team - even more than my home town soccer team which I have watched since I was a child and where I had season tickets for three years in the hardcore fan stands. So yeah, I don't say that this isn't crazy *g*

Closed Thread