HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part VIII: "The 11th Hour" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 07:33 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
its not 83% of revenue, its 83% of net income according to forbes numbers.

forbes has 13 teams losing money so negative income, they have the leagues total net income after subtracting out those losses at $250.3 mil with the leafs, rangers and habs pulling in 207.5 which is 83%

but obviously (aside from not knowing if those numbers are accurate), its misleading cause it implies that the other 27 teams made nothing. but the other 14 teams that made profits combined for $173 mil. small in comparison to the top 3 but still in the green when not offset by losses.

and they have the 13 teams losing money at -130 mil with 80 mil of that coming from 5 teams (yotes, isles, bjs, lightning and panthers).

the conclusion that i draw from those numbers is the thing that we already knew and no one involved has made any effort to address or fix...the issue is not that the league is sick, the issue is that the league has a handful of sick franchises that are pulling everyone down. you can find ways to help those teams, you can get rid of those teams whatever, but bottomline THAT is the problem and ignoring it isn't going to fix it.

This here. Loses outside of the bottom 5: $50m/8 teams. $6m each. Nothing to bat an eye at, but not crippling. Is this not addressed by the 50% split and new cap floor calculation... if the league doesn't hold to the $80m mid point as the qualifier. Trade cap hits, revenue sharing, AHL salaries count against revenues, escrow deductions in two seasons. That won't save the season when $6m was your loses? The other five are products of dysfunction. Overexpansion and southern markets. Three teams will most likely move.

And I would like to see who loses that much perenially. How much are those loses tied to bad management on ice? I'd also like to see the real numbers, but this is the story based on the sterling Forbes report. The league has their concession, we should be back. Profits are not an entitlement. No one gave Dolan a sympathy card when the Garden crowd dwindled in the dark ages.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Lundsanity30

Daly wouldn't say anything IF there were a deal close anyway, because it could still fall apart.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Daly wouldn't say anything IF there were a deal close anyway, because it could still fall apart.
Yeah, he probably wouldn't comment though. In fact he probably couldn't be reached because he would hammering out a deal.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:42 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Patrick Caisse @PatrickCaisse
"I'm aware of the reports making the rounds. Unfortunately, there is no truth to them" - Bill Daly #BurtonNews #NHL

Unfortunately, I don't think this is a case for Baghdad Bob. Like a resolution to the CBA could be announced tomorrow or Wednesday, a discovery that the Moon is made entirely out of Provolone cheese could be made Thursday or Friday.

#pessimism

Old
12-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Lundsanity30

FWIW, I don't believe the deal. All of a sudden they just agreed to do something for the good of the sport? hogwash.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Rangers79

It's all a bunch of hogwash till we hear from Dreger

Old
12-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Patrick Caisse @PatrickCaisse
"I'm aware of the reports making the rounds. Unfortunately, there is no truth to them" - Bill Daly #BurtonNews #NHL
He's just keeping it a surprise

Old
12-03-2012, 07:53 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Came home from work and saw this and was left scratching my head how they made progress. Could this owners/players meeting be something to take the spotlight off of the Fehr brother, Bettman, and Daly and allow them to talk behind the scenes? It's possible, but until someone with some real credit to their name says something like this, I'll remain skeptical.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Jimmy Murphy ‏@MurphysLaw74
Just heard from one source close to CBA negotiations and one NHL source and both are unaware of any announcement coming that lockout is over

Old
12-03-2012, 08:05 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

It's going to be nearly impossible to decipher what all of these conflicting reports mean. However, I've never heard of this WBZsports guy before and he really had my hopes up.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:05 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Steve Burton -- he of the "I was wasted and comatose during a live midnight Sportscast on WBZ in March, 2000" fame

Old
12-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
It's going to be nearly impossible to decipher what all of these conflicting reports mean. However, I've never heard of this WBZsports guy before and he really had my hopes up.
thats because he was the only one to provide anything positive

Old
12-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

There is no way this guy has better sources than anyone at TSN. I call BS.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:38 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
There is no way this guy has better sources than anyone at TSN. I call BS.
He's a really, really reputable reporter though. It'd kind of be like McKenzie breaking the NBA lockout being over.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 550
Paul Bissonnette ‏@BizNasty2point0
RT if want the NHL back and/or love Subway's white chocolate macadamia nut cookies.

12-03-2012, 09:00 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford
Steve Burton of @wbzsports in Boston is reporting that a deal to end the lockout could be announced soon. Burton is very tuned into Bruins.
The only way this could be true is if he knew that Jeremy Jacobs somehow was assassinated

Old
12-03-2012, 09:13 PM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
The only way this could be true is if he knew that Jeremy Jacobs somehow was assassinated
Jacobs is still hurt from not taking advantage of the last lockout with player roll backs. You see the outrageous contracts he signed this year. The man is a cancer to the sport.

The silver lining to the lockout is I used the time to earn additional cash for being available for work.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:23 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Burton's story has gotten more detailed. Take a look at the lockout thread on the main board.

12-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Now he's quoting Lucic.

We'll see...

Old
12-04-2012, 12:14 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Very, very interesting. Apparently Burton is known primarily as a football guy, BUT was also the guy who broke the Kessel cancer and Thomas taking a year off stories. The report was aired earlier and then was also the lead story on the station's 11pm sportscast. It's also now the very first story - not sports story, but the very first story overall - on the station's website: http://boston.cbslocal.com/

After all the false starts, I am hesitant to get to hopeful, but you have got to believe his producers would have wanted pretty definitive sources to go this big with it, no?

Also, folks on the main board are making a big deal of not hearing from Dreger, McKenzie, et. al. - they've all been silent for a while on Twitter. People are interpreting it all sorts of ways. From my perspective, their silence means that they can't (yet) deny it; they would have been heard from by now if they had definitive word one way OR the other.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Rangers79

It's just strange. He's making a huge deal of it, so maybe it has a little traction.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:34 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Very, very interesting. Apparently Burton is known primarily as a football guy, BUT was also the guy who broke the Kessel cancer and Thomas taking a year off stories. The report was aired earlier and then was also the lead story on the station's 11pm sportscast. It's also now the very first story - not sports story, but the very first story overall - on the station's website: http://boston.cbslocal.com/

After all the false starts, I am hesitant to get to hopeful, but you have got to believe his producers would have wanted pretty definitive sources to go this big with it, no?

Also, folks on the main board are making a big deal of not hearing from Dreger, McKenzie, et. al. - they've all been silent for a while on Twitter. People are interpreting it all sorts of ways. From my perspective, their silence means that they can't (yet) deny it; they would have been heard from by now if they had definitive word one way OR the other.
Bruins fans seem very confident in his reporting saying he's the top sportscaster in Boston. Basically, he wouldn't throw **** at a wall and hope it sticks. He's got too much of a reputation to do that.

My guess (just speculation on my part) is that he knows something about Jacobs and other hardliners possibly bending. It would make sense to me at least since he's a Boston guy and has his sources up there mixed in with the fact that the BoG meeting is Wednesday.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:38 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

It was pointed out over on the Devils board that Mckenzie, and Dreger have been silent on twitter since around noon. Haven't checked back in a couple hours though to see if they've since been active. Not getting my hopes up though. Last time I got my hopes up was the mid October proposals, and it left me deflated. Trying to see a positive I'm thinking there could have been something private or secret like a meeting of some sort. Things were at least looking to be going smooth a few weeks ago when they had the ''Undisclosed location'' meetings. That is until the end of that week. Just trying to give a reason that this report could be right, but I can't see it right now.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:42 AM
E Nixson