HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part VIII: "The 11th Hour" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Rangers79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Did anyone watch the clip???

From Lucic's demeanor and what he said, this guy might be onto something....

Holy ****... I'm trying not to get too excited, but I don't know. I haven't seen a player say things like that so far yet.
I think you're reading too much into it. Take some deep breaths

Old
12-04-2012, 12:00 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:

Holy ****... I'm trying not to get too excited, but I don't know. I haven't seen a player say things like that so far yet.
Interesting

Here in Chicago the mouths of Toews/Montador/Bolland and other Hawks has me feeling that NHL wont be back until 2013/14

I wouldn't bother getting your hopes up

Old
12-04-2012, 04:12 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

What did Lucic say?

Old
12-04-2012, 05:39 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
What did Lucic say?
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but CBS used an extremely misleading snippet of Lucic's quote on their evening news.

Lucic's actual quote:

Quote:
“You know if your sources are correct obviously it’s great news,” says Lucic. “It’s great for the fans I think especially. I know they’ve been probably going through the most heartache than anyone.”
However, on the evening news (you can watch the clip at the following link), CBS omitted the bolded part, which creates unjustified optimism, imo.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/12/0...g-nhl-lockout/

Terrible omission.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:54 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

I remember Dave Checketts said on Salt Lake City radio last November that the NBA lockout was over or almost over. He said it would be a 10 year deal and a 50-50 split. Everyone denied it. The NBPA filed a disclaimer of interest a few days later. A CBA was reached two weeks after Checketts made his comments. 10 year deal(mutual opt-out after 6 years) and 50-50 split. The players received 51.15% in year 1.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:17 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I'll believe it when it's announced. Seems far-fetched.

12-04-2012, 06:21 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Yeah, I wouldn't read anything into the clip. Lucic basically says "wow IF that's true, it would be great."

What's much more promising is a) how legit Burton apparently is, b) how confident he appears to be in the story and c) how prominently the station is presenting it both on TV and on their website.

As for McKenzie & co's silence, I take it to mean they haven't been able to get their sources to deny it (yet), which doesn't NECESSARILY mean anything, but with every hour that goes by becomes more and more interesting...

Old
12-04-2012, 06:32 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Al Morganti is from Boston

Quote:
Have to give some credence to WBZ report about progress in NHL. He's a good reporter, and there is the jacobs connection in boston.
https://twitter.com/nufced/status/275936329806786560

Old
12-04-2012, 06:43 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
WBZ Boston Sports ‏@wbzsports
WBZ's Steve Burton reports #nhl talks have made great progress behind closed doors and it looks like the season will be salvaged - @JoeGiza

WBZ Boston Sports ‏@wbzsports
WBZ's Steve Burton reports that a deal to save the #nhl season could be announcement tomorrow or Wednesday - @JoeGiza

CBS affiliate in Boston. Guy that reported it is well respected for covering the Pats and NFL and also broke the Phil Kessel cancer news. Grain of salt and I 99.9% doubt it's true but maybe there's something to it. Just don't see how this guy knows something every other hockey reporter doesn't.
One downside with the credibility of a report like this is that its the only logical ending to this, while I recon it could be a couple of weeks to a month until something gets done (if it gets done (things is not always logical)).

To put it like this, if I were a reporter and wanted to make a name for myself, I would get in contact with everyone I know and if anyone even breathed something positive I could spin it into "its getting done soon".

But, the two sides are within spitting distance of each other. No material issue is still on the table. The diffrences does not has any affect long term for any of the party, nor short term either really (the diffrences per team/year in relation to turnaround of a club is just completely insignificant). The contractual diffrences is obviously on the wish list for a number of clubs that I recon are important in terms of votes among the owners, but, on the other side of the table you the enourmous danger another loss of a full season would cause and it just do not make any kind of sense not to compromize for either party.

If leadership on both sides wasn't so darn week this should have been solved month ago. But things are what they are. I do not think anyone around the game either has done anything to deserve anything else. Key media people have most of the time either been 100% silient (Cherry and co) or pro the party who feeds them info around the trading dead line or something. And we fans hasn't exactly put any kind of pressure on these media persons who screw us (by refraining for calling this what it really is, a tremendous disgrace, and from refraining from scrutinzing the parties involved) because hey, Dreger and co are our idols. Sometimes you get what you deserve...

Old
12-04-2012, 07:07 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
So, just to be clear, I'm not saying the Boston report is untrue or not accurate. I'm saying I can't get info to support it. That's all.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:43 AM
CosmicSpoon

just to let some people know being from Boston he did say the season would be announced and then played the Lucic interview and this was on at prime time not saying he does or doesn't know but he is a senior reporter who said "several of His sources said"

Old
12-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Finally doing research, I noticed that the lockout was unanimously voted for by the BOG. Why did the Rangers vote for one?

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
12-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Finally doing research, I noticed that the lockout was unanimously voted for by the BOG. Why did the Rangers vote for one?
Everyone doubts that the vote was unanimous. I doubt Dolan voted in favor of a lockout.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Everyone doubts that the vote was unanimous. I doubt Dolan voted in favor of a lockout.
Why? The last lockout stuffed his pockets as much as anyones. He and Bettman have their disagreements about the website kerfuffle, but money talks.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:29 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
They probably took an informal vote to see who was and wasn't against it. If they had a majority, they took an official one with everybody voting for it so they appear unified.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Levitate

Might have been a unanimous vote but that doesn't mean the owners are all on the same page about what the final deal should look like

For all the talk about how the players said they'd keep playing while negotiating a new CBA, and how evil the NHL is for locking them out instead of playing, it's not really surprising or really that big of a deal that they did vote for the lockout.

The real travesty is that both sides didn't seem to have any urgency to get things done until a couple of months were already lost...they clearly figured they could lose the first couple of months or so and not be too worried about it. Instead of trying to save the whole season, they planned in losing games and operated on the assumption that it'd be no big deal if they lost those games

Old
12-04-2012, 08:53 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

I can totally see the scenario where Bettman has taken the stance with the owners from the beginning that he was going to take a very hard line and be the bad cop in the negotiations, and that when the time was right and he felt they had moved the NHLPA as far as possible to their demands he would recuse himself to clear the air and let the deal take place. Seems like that time is now

Old
12-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I'll believe it when it's announced. Seems far-fetched.
Same here.

Bottom line is this guy sort of randomly announced a couple sources told him the lockout is near an end. No reference to the sources, no additional details....just a silly interview with Lucic about how he'd feel if it were true.

Ill be interested when the more reputable NHL journalists say something like this. The conspiracy theories that they know something and are staying quiet is, in a word, ridiculous.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:18 AM
turcotte8

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Getting a LOT of questions about a Boston-based report suggesting a significant breakthrough/possible deal to end lockout. Here's my take: If I had info to that effect, I'd have reported it. I don't have that info and I didn't report it. I have no knowledge of any breakthrough.

I try not to be in the business of shooting down someone else's report. I always allow that person may have better info than me. Or not.

So, just to be clear, I'm not saying the Boston report is untrue or not accurate. I'm saying I can't get info to support it. That's all.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:23 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Why? The last lockout stuffed his pockets as much as anyones. He and Bettman have their disagreements about the website kerfuffle, but money talks.
But how much money is he not making while the lockout goes on? He's spending 900 mil to upgrade MSG and isn't seeing the ROI he hoped for. And he's going to end up paying even more every year in revenue sharing.

Sure revenue went up significantly since the last CBA, but how much of that was due simply to higher ticket and merchandise/concession prices? Total ticket sales for the Rangers are pretty static year to year, except maybe new luxury boxes that he can't sell due to the lockout.

Dolan has plenty of reasons to want to see the lockout end.

Last edited by GAGLine: 12-04-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old
12-04-2012, 09:27 AM
The Perfect Paradox

Pretty difficult to remain optimistic about this guy's report when neither McKenzie or Dreger have heard anything.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...t_the_message/

Good article with a realistic point of view.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Levitate

That's basically a NHL PR piece and people still don't understand the role that Fehr plays in all of this and what his actual job is

Old
12-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
That's basically a NHL PR piece and people still don't understand the role that Fehr plays in all of this and what his actual job is
Fehr's role right now, more than anything else, seems like its to delay the inevitable.

And the inevitable is what the article portrays

Old
12-04-2012, 10:32 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Even McKenzie is being [intentionally] vague. It's starting to make me somewhat optimistic.

Closed Thread