HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ralph Krueger

Old
03-09-2013, 02:38 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpunk View Post
Here is what I'm seeing, Dmen pinching in, looks great for offense but face it, our Dmen are not offensively talented except J. schultz.

This forces the forwards to cover the d when the other team breaks out or alternatively forces our D to get back into position.

This tires our guys on the ice out. This isn't great strategy. Sure it looks run and gun ish... but we aren't winning the puck battles in the dump ins... turn overs are killing us. At this point... we should start playing the swiss strategy... trap.... force turnovers and kill them with our speed going the other way.

like if we look at the teams beating us or when we won games, there was a relentless forecheck game. force turnovers.

We suck, our confidence is low, we might as well go back to basics, forecheck, forecheck, grind, clog up the neutral zone chip it out of the our zone. Play to defend until we find a break going back the other way.

Simple plays, our team is quite talented, maybe thinking too much...our pp was way better when we simplified our game. MPS looking awesome, simple game, forecheck forecheck forecheck, he gets it.
You point out something interesting here. We've been running this regular D pinch scheme since we had a platoon of D that could move up and contribute some offence and puck control. Guys like Vishnovsky, Gilbert, Grebs, etc. We now have one D that can jump into the offence with any confidence and we're still running the same pinch schemes.

Kind of hints that the org just keeps going with the same gameplans regardless of who they got. Maybe theres still some Wayne Gretzky set pieces in the ol playbook. We could use those..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:41 AM
fifthcartel

I don't think there's any way they fire another coach this early. Tambellini is likely on the hot spot, and with every loss is feeling less and less comfortable.

Not 100% sure, but wasn't our record last year better at this point? I could be wrong, but I think like Tencer was hinting on the post-game show, after you've hired your third coach there must be some people looking upwards at management.

I know they seem pretty incompetent and I definitely agree, but I can't imagine no changes at all happening, especially if we don't at least start stringing together some wins.

fifthcartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:31 AM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

I have to think that Krueger has lost the room at this point. They must have tuned him out. There can't be another explanation. It's just abysmal in every facet.

runeeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:33 AM
North

They have tuned out so many coaches in the last 6 years. This is now a player issue and not a coach issue.

North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:37 AM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by North View Post
They have tuned out so many coaches in the last 6 years. This is now a player issue and not a coach issue.
Renney was a players' coach, Krueger is a players' coach. Maybe they need a different style of coach that they can't tune out so easy.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

How do you guys think this team would be if they somehow managed to wrangle Boudreau?

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:50 AM
North

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14 View Post
Renney was a players' coach, Krueger is a players' coach. Maybe they need a different style of coach that they can't tune out so easy.
Yup, I agree. They need a hard ***.

Maybe a Krueger or Renney would be good when they finally start winning and don't need a hard ***. Kind of like Pittsburgh with Therrien and Bylsma.

But first they need to be molded by a coach that won't give them any quarter.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14 View Post
Renney was a players coach who actually had a clue about systems and getting the best out of players. Krueger is aplayers coach who has seemed to be able top confuse and stunt the players on the team. His one pre season statement about 'not over coaching' players is funny as it seems like the players have no clue what they are supposed to do.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:25 AM
AK Dandyman

With Krueger, he is actually too good a motivator, where all the players bought in to him and take to heart what Krueger is telling them to do. Look at the totally failing high pressure defensive puck pursuit system, all the dman have been doing it consistently and have all been burnt badly. And they are still motivated to do it game after game!

I think it's not coincidental that Whitney hasn't been the worst defenseman in the last several games despite his skating problem. He looked to me like the only one that's actually hasn't been chasing the puck carrier blindly resulting in bad defensive positioning either because he isn't even quick enough to do it, or, he decided that he's not following the system and kind of play it conservatively.

The ones that got burned by this system the most are the ones that skates the best. And in this order of skating well and getting burnt more... Petry, N. Schultz, Smid, Potter, Fistric, Peckham. I left J. Schultz out because he's super quick and can effectively get in on the puck carrier or can recover after losing position.

Have a look at this next game.

Last edited by AK Dandyman: 03-09-2013 at 10:33 AM.
AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:27 AM
North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Renney was a players coach who actually had a clue about systems and getting the best out of players. Krueger is aplayers coach who has seemed to be able top confuse and stunt the players on the team. His one pre season statement about 'not over coaching' players is funny as it seems like the players have no clue what they are supposed to do.
Renney lead this team to a 29th place finish last year. He was not the answer.

I'm not happy with Krueger's results but lets not pretend like Renney was much better.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Renney lead this team to a 29th place finish last year. He was not the answer.

I'm not happy with Krueger's results but lets not pretend like Renney was much better.
Pretend? How is RNH playing? How is Eberle playing? How is Hall playing? How is Petry playing? How is Smid playing?

Renney was a hell of a lot better which is a sad thing to say because he was no great shakes.

The fact that our most precious resources, our young players as a whole look confused and all appear to be mere shadows of last year is a HUGE problem.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:59 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
I had no problem with how Krueger ran his bench last night.

The players just put out an awful effort.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:02 PM
North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Pretend? How is RNH playing? How is Eberle playing? How is Hall playing? How is Petry playing? How is Smid playing?

Renney was a hell of a lot better which is a sad thing to say because he was no great shakes.

The fact that our most precious resources, our young players as a whole look confused and all appear to be mere shadows of last year is a HUGE problem.
RNH is injured it's pretty clear. I think he should be sheltered and that's on Krueger for sure. Eberle is stuck inside his head, that's not Krueger's fault. Hall is injured right now, but was playing well.

Renney was not a hell of a lot better. The team had quit on him as well.

Sometimes it's on the players and not on the coach.

This team has had several coaching changes in the last 6 years. At some point, you have to look at the guys on the ice.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
How do you guys think this team would be if they somehow managed to wrangle Boudreau?
A lot better, but I cannot recall the last time a coach was traded. It has happened though.

Ruff is the best guy out there ATM.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:43 PM
CROTT

Krueger has to go, I have never see such an uninterested and unorganized team in all of my years of watching the Oilers. It just seams like Krueger would rather coach a "sarcastiball" team.

CROTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
With Krueger, he is actually too good a motivator, where all the players bought in to him and take to heart what Krueger is telling them to do. Look at the totally failing high pressure defensive puck pursuit system, all the dman have been doing it consistently and have all been burnt badly. And they are still motivated to do it game after game!

I think it's not coincidental that Whitney hasn't been the worst defenseman in the last several games despite his skating problem. He looked to me like the only one that's actually hasn't been chasing the puck carrier blindly resulting in bad defensive positioning either because he isn't even quick enough to do it, or, he decided that he's not following the system and kind of play it conservatively.

The ones that got burned by this system the most are the ones that skates the best. And in this order of skating well and getting burnt more... Petry, N. Schultz, Smid, Potter, Fistric, Peckham. I left J. Schultz out because he's super quick and can effectively get in on the puck carrier or can recover after losing position.

Have a look at this next game.
You raise an interesting point. But I think its different than that. More to the point this org sometimes captures itself in its own *genius* and gets used to thinking patterned thoughts about what this org is good at. For instance for years thinking that this is somehow an org that could take in and resurrect projects because Sather was able to do it with guys like Joe Murphy, Petr Klima(and the org has had little luck or acumen in this regard since.

But back to the D, more likely, as I've stated that the Oilers have still lazily figured they still have guys that are solid PMD. They got used to the idea of being rich in this regard. For instance 09-09. Souray 53pts, Gilbert 45pts, Grebs 39pts, Visnovsky 31pts in 50GP,

The org simply got used to thinking that it can milk D pinches because it had an arsenal of people to do just that. Even though they got rid of all those people they think they can still pinch successfully and run big jump numbers. WE have one guy now thats doing this. We had 4 before that were accomplished at it and doing it in their sleep.

It should make anybody sick that Laddy was a 6D that year and a few years later he's arguably our best.

**** this team.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:55 PM
darrylsittler27

Hi guys leaf fan here.

Like the Oilers ,but they are just too young.RNH hasnt played well in a long time including the juniors(WJC),is he injured? There is only one choice now, trade some youth for slightly older more mature guys.And get some vet dmen.Either Hopkins or Hall need to be traded but for something in their prime.The NHL is just too compettive now,potential alone is not enough.I have to agree at some point it is the players and not the coach.

Last edited by darrylsittler27: 03-09-2013 at 11:01 PM.
darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:22 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Ralph lost me after he decided it was a good idea to convert a left winger that can't skate to center. I'm wondering how he rationalized that to himself.......or did MacT have a hand in it and give him the old, " if he could skate and shoot he'd be sakic!!" Let's give it a shot!!

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:41 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
Like the Oilers ,but they are just too young.RNH hasnt played well in a long time including the juniors(WJC),is he injured? There is only one choice now, trade some youth for slightly older more mature guys.And get some vet dmen.Either Hopkins or Hall need to be traded but for something in their prime.The NHL is just too compettive now,potential alone is not enough.I have to agree at some point it is the players and not the coach.
Ya RNH only had 15 pts in 6 games at the WJC. 3 pts clear of anyone else. Obviously sucked. Should have had at least 50 pts.

Trading Hall who is their best forward and who brings the most heart and will to the ice every game and who hates to lose more than anyone... solid move to better the team.

Oil need to make moves but trading core pieces of their future away isn't the way it's going to be done.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:46 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Krueger clearly isn't working.

Let MacTavish take over the team for the rest of the season then fire everyone at the end.

If MacT does well he can stay I guess.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:55 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Most of the players on the team have only played under the current coaching staff.

Sure Renney is gone, but this is the same coaching staff that took us to 30th and 29th in the last 2 years.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Krueger clearly isn't working.

Let MacTavish take over the team for the rest of the season then fire everyone at the end.
If MacT does well he can stay I guess.
As much as this makes me want to cringe I would have to agree at least we would see a system implemented instead of house league shinny attack system we are getting from Krueger.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:16 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
As much as this makes me want to cringe I would have to agree at least we would see a system implemented instead of house league shinny attack system we are getting from Krueger.
MacTavish literally cannot be any worse. We are 15th in the West.

Let the team finish their road trip and then give Krueger the boot.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:18 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
MacTavish literally cannot be any worse. We are 15th in the West.

Let the team finish their road trip and then give Krueger the boot.
I have no problems with them canning the Swiss miss

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:08 AM
New dawn

The Reporters on TSN were questioning why you hire a "prevent a goal" type of coach when you are drafting "score a goal" type of players.

New dawn is offline   Reply With Quote