HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ralph Krueger

Old
02-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Bangers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm not convinced its that yet.

With MacT he would bench some kids or Penner and being careful to stay away from benching sacred cows.

With Kruger he's also picking his spots. I wonder if he'll ever bench an underperforming star player or two.

It would show balls to bench an Eberle, Hall, or RNH if they aren't listening to direction which they aren't.

I doubt were going to see that.
While I do agree with you that having Kreuger bench one of the top 3 would show that he really is holding everyone accountable, I don't think any of them are playing Smyth/Whitney badly to the point where they need to be benched.

Hall has shown noticeable improvement this year, and even though RNH and Eberle have been on dry spells of late, Eberle is still getting to his spots and Nuge still looks like he's capable, he's just coming up with nothing (granted, I haven't seen the last couple of games).

I wouldn't be against having them shifted to other lines though. Last year, I thought Hall played best with Gagner and Hemsky, and RNH and Eberle played better without Hall, but that could just be my recollection.

Bangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:49 PM
OmarkianSpin
Flames Suck

does anyone have the Coles Notes for BadMedicines post? I have an essay due tuesday.

OmarkianSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Connell McWilson
Oilers & Seahawks

Hey BadMedicine, I love your posts!

Just please condense it!

Connell McWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Time for a bump on this thread. When last seen people were effusive with how much has changed now that Kreuger is benching players, changing losing culture, and leading the club to the promised land.

I recall saying nothing has changed. That the benching are only indication of problems getting anything done with communication and that they suggest that a new coach is already grasping straws.

How quickly its come to this. Ryan Whitney has been benched 4 times. In the most recent game so Einstein could put together a pairing of Fistric, and Peckham. Quite possibly the slowest moving D pair in the league. As if by intervention of deserved karma Fistric gets beat like a rented mule on the tying goal on a NOTHING play that any normal D would be able to easily contain to the outside. Soon as that GA happens, and how shockingly easy Fistric allowed the walk in and tying goal, heads are sagging on the bench. The game isn't lost yet on the scoreboard, but it is lost.

This weeks Gem from Kreuger: "The coaching moments are occurring after loses. The players are listening after losses."

Wait, hold on, wait a minute...so let me get this straight, a brand new coach(what else is new) is already being tuned out by the players on the team who are only interested in coachable moments after they lose....

You're kidding me. Or killing me..

Time to start reading the riot act. Don't think Kreuger has it in him. His stated plan was to give team days off after a bad game to let them get over the bad taste of a loss. Still can't believe he even believed in that let alone speak it out loud to a noted bunch of underperformers.

So now the nice guy coach has painted himself into a corner after 16games, with the club in a tailspin and sites firmly set on last place. We haven't crashed and burned yet but an unscheduled *landing* is impending.

What a mess this is.

I have zero faith right now in how this team is being led.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-22-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Time for a bump on this thread. When last seen people were effusive with how much has changed now that Kreuger is benching players, changing losing culture, and leading the club to the promised land.

I recall saying nothing has changed. That the benching are only indication of problems getting anything done with communication and that they suggest that a new coach is already grasping straws.

How quickly its come to this. Ryan Whitney has been benched 4 times. In the most recent game so Einstein could put together a pairing of Fistric, and Peckham. Quite possibly the slowest moving D pair in the league. As if by intervention of deserved karma Fistric gets beat like a rented mule on the tying goal on a NOTHING play that any normal D would be able to easily contain to the outside. Soon as that GA happens, and how shockingly easy Fistric allowed the walk in and tying goal, heads are sagging on the bench. The game isn't lost yet on the scoreboard, but it is lost.

This weeks Gem from Kreuger: "The coaching moments are occurring after loses. The players are listening after losses."

Wait, hold on, wait a minute...so let me get this straight, a brand new coach(what else is new) is already being tuned out by the players on the team who are only interested in coachable moments after they lose....

You're kidding me. Or killing me..

Time to start reading the riot act. Don't think Kreuger has it in him. His stated plan was to give team days off after a bad game to let them get over the bad taste of a loss. Still can't believe he even believed in that let alone speak it out loud to a noted bunch of underperformers.

So now the nice guy coach has painted himself into a corner after 16games, with the club in a tailspin and sites firmly set on last place. We haven't crashed and burned yet but an unscheduled *landing* is impending.

What a mess this is.

I have zero faith right now in how this team is being led.
Ugh, is rubbing people's faces in what they perceived to be a small step in the right direction really necessary today?

Comments can certainly be made as to the team or coaching itself, but (and not meaning to call you out specifically) but the last 24 hours has been rife around here with one small segment of the HFOil fanbase taking delight in slagging their fellow fans. We're all upset at the state of things, hopefully the comments can be much more directed to the team's performance and less of the "look how wrong you were" variety.

End rant.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Ugh, is rubbing people's faces in what they perceived to be a small step in the right direction really necessary today?
Not the intent.

I guess I don't comprehend how something as little as a benching had people thinking this was a great intervention, sign of success, etc. If anything my frustration is how easily people let this org off the hook, and think its all better now at the slightest perceived sign.

Does that make me negative, cynical, or experienced..

I still say I'll see challenging of the status quo, and demanding better, when the focal point of coaches intervention becomes the focal players on this club. Not some barely here dudes that the org could care less about. Smyth and Whitney are fallguy targets right now. Pure and simple. The new version of Penner and Nillson I suspect.

Nothing here ever changes.

Accountability? Whats that?

Old
02-22-2013, 02:21 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
He held Smyth accountable and now he's playing much better...

GreatMcKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
He held Smyth accountable and now he's playing much better...

Whitney?
Eberle?
N Schultz?
RNH?
Belanger?
Potter?
Petry?
Hall?

What about them? Thats just of the guys that have been here, that should follow the NHL game by now, and that have only themselves to blame for substandard performances. Which we as fans hardly recognize by now because we're so conditioned to under performers.

Pay attention to the details. Before game 16 in a 48 game schedule coach is saying in the papers that these players are only focused on coaching moments after losses. That they tune out after wins.

That sounds like a recipe for nonstop disaster and losing streaks. A team overconfident after one win and that they struggles with confidence(lol) during losing streaks while the club plays as random individuals.

What we need is actual direction, expectation, and NEED to perform to expectations.

What we got is a collection of players that know who ends up walking the plank everytime.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:31 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Not every problem can be fixed, Replacement. Smyth usually has a better attitude than most. Belanger's done his job so far this year, and Potter is in the PB where most people feel he belongs.

I don't know what it will take to fix RNH and Eberle. I really don't. Maybe they need to be sheltered again or maybe they need to bottle up whatever they had in the Avs game?

Maybe demote them all to the third line and let Gagner, Hemsky, and Yak ride top line for awhile? I really don't know. Every player is different.

GreatMcKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:01 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

vCash: 50
So basically, Ralph has used his supreme skills from being a professional, and motivational speaker, to help the Oilers feel good about being the biggest pieces of **** in the league.

Great!

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Mcnofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

We hired Krueger to comfort our kids for finishing last in the league again.

To be honest, I don't blame him as much as I blame management.

It doesn't seem like Bowman could motivate these guys. Maybe he can take it on as a challenge?

Mcnofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:18 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
So basically, Ralph has used his supreme skills from being a professional, and motivational speaker, to help the Oilers feel good about being the biggest pieces of **** in the league.

Great!
To be fair, isn't that what most motivational speakers do?

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:27 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I think we'll see a lot of the same crap that we saw over the last two years with Renney.
I guess I was sorta right. We're seeing a lot of the same crap but a whole lot of new crap at the same time.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
To be fair, isn't that what most motivational speakers do?
Only if speaking on a one time basis.

Motivational managers are supposed to empower and facilitate the achieving of goals, not shining up the turds.

You're talking about unconditional praise in that case. Which is the quickest way to ensure non motivated brats...

Old
03-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Bank Shot

The roster is crap. What did everyone expect?

Kreuger was going to magically motivate the oilers into becoming a model
Franchise in 20 games?

He was going to convince Peckham that he was the modern day Bobby Orr and it would happen?

The roster sucks, and the play on the Ice sucks as a result.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post

Franchise in 20 games?

He was going to convince Peckham that he was the modern day Bobby Orr and it would happen?

But our best players are playing the worst.

Eberle
Nugent-Hopkins
Hall
Gagner (yes, despite his lucky point production)
Hemsky
Yakupov

All playing far below potential. They have to be the ones to lead by example and play their hearts out. Then the rest of the pieces will fall into place. It's Krueger's job to make sure these guys bring it every game.

Ovechking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Soundwave

Quote:

Franchise in 20 games?

I was expecting a draft pick in the 7-12 range so I wasn't expecting playoffs.

That said, I was expecting some entertainment every 2nd or 3rd game ... this team is frighteningly boring to watch. Even last year we got some fun nights (the Chicago blowouts for example).

This group is flatter than soda that's been left out overnight even with the notable additions of Yakupov and Schultz.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:20 PM
#ualberta

Quote:

Franchise in 20 games?

Maintain what we were doing last season and potentially improve. From a coaching prespective this team has gotten worse

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:09 AM
Nunymare
Global Moderator
In 11.5% we trust

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
But our best players are playing the worst.

Eberle
Nugent-Hopkins
Hall
Gagner (yes, despite his lucky point production)
Hemsky
Yakupov

All playing far below potential. They have to be the ones to lead by example and play their hearts out. Then the rest of the pieces will fall into place. It's Krueger's job to make sure these guys bring it every game.
"Lucky point production"? Give me a ****ing break. He seems to look like the only player who actually gives a **** on most nights and you still harp on him?

Gagner is one of the last player whose play we should be *****ing about.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:44 AM
BadMedicine*

All i can say is, Ralph you should have known that once we shut down their blueline playaction that they would have an outlet playaction, and you also should have known it would be the upspeed man because they used it several times in the game when pressured eariler, we lost another one on small adjustments.

Pleas Ralph, be more clear and use more complete context in your post-game interviews. Tonight you said "We had individual breakdowns , individual errors", now answer me this coach, are you referring to individual players making those errors and causing those breakdowns, because the way the NHS and I saw it was YOU who made some individual adjustment errors as a coach, that catalysed some critical breakdowns. But your spin doctoring made it seem as if it was the players who had this decisive control over the game, what the heck was that Ralph? That certainly wasnt accountability on your part now was it. Be clear Ralph you have a communications background, and say that as a coach you as an individual with the power to do so made some tactical system adjustments on the fly that resulted in a few errors that catalysed some system breakdowns.

I can do a game by game breakdown of the entire systems performance using Intuative Dynamic Analysis and tell you every exact decision you have made this year and show you each and every consequence or effect those decisions manifested. And then I can illustrate the right decisions you should have made, and if thats not enough then we can acess the real GDTs for the last 2 years and go over some real cool historical data that will take us to the same destination, your wheelhouse. I have been couch coaching alongside you for two years you and Tom, and every GDT was done in realtime exactly as you worked your games, our adjustments and the realtime results are all out there just waiting for a book and a TSN special. You might be missing it but there have been several perfectly timed camera TV shots of you on the bench immediatly after realtime GDT adjustments were posted by myself that you may or may not have utilised immediatly thereafter, only the posts and gametapes can verify that though huh? Play action and player specific tactical data followed to the last detail, executed within minutes. I think I want your job Ralph, I think I am coming for it. Ha ha ah ha ha ha.

Hang in there Ralph you are just missing by a few adjustments each game, its a tough system to manage, but you know there are timelimits to everything right? As you so often tell your players, if you need help, please just ask for it, thats what we are all here for, to support each other.

BadMedicine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:31 AM
#ualberta

Ideally for me Tambo fires Krueger in the off season and is then fired himself, oil bring in new management and coaching staff that help create a winning culture.
But unfortunately for us that won't happen

Old
03-06-2013, 03:01 AM
CardMonkey83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
"Lucky point production"? Give me a ****ing break. He seems to look like the only player who actually gives a **** on most nights and you still harp on him?

Gagner is one of the last player whose play we should be *****ing about.
I agree with OvechKing, Gagner does play like sh**

CardMonkey83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:01 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Ideally for me Tambo fires Krueger in the off season and is then fired himself, oil bring in new management and coaching staff that help create a winning culture.
But unfortunately for us that won't happen
That's what I'm hoping for as well, unfortunately that won't happen and as people have already pointed out, if Tambo goes, MacT replaces him. Honestly, I'd rather have Tambo over him. I'm not a Tambo hater because I think he has done an alright job but he is way too passive. He wont be able to get this team to the next level and that's why I think we need to replace him.

This team isn't going anywhere until Kevin Lowe is gone. Ideally, I would have Lowe, Tambo, MacT and Krueger all fired by the end of the season and we hire Burke and he hires Lindy Ruff to be our coach. That's the type of change this team needs but it'll never happen.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:06 AM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayBerle HopKov View Post
I agree with OvechKing, Gagner does play like sh**
You're either forgetting this or are not watching the fames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
That's what I'm hoping for as well, unfortunately that won't happen and as people have already pointed out, if Tambo goes, MacT replaces him. Honestly, I'd rather have Tambo over him. I'm not a Tambo hater because I think he has done an alright job but he is way too passive. He wont be able to get this team to the next level and that's why I think we need to replace him.

This team isn't going anywhere until Kevin Lowe is gone. Ideally, I would have Lowe, Tambo, MacT and Krueger all fired by the end of the season and we hire Burke and he hires Lindy Ruff to be our coach. That's the type of change this team needs but it'll never happen.
I would love to try Burke and Ruff might be just what this team needs to bad emperor Lowe will not disturb the balance of power.

We need a revolution lol

Old
03-06-2013, 03:22 AM
Aceonfire
Connor McOiler

I would rather have Gretzky both coach this team and manage it then continue to let Lowe have his way.

Anyone notice that we are the only Canadian team that seems to be okay with mediocrity?

Toronto- Burke, Wilson
Montreal- Gauthier, Martin, Gainey...

You can tell that Feaster is also on his way out.

Most ownerships would have cleaned house. Instead we promote those who have failed us.

But this is Edmonton. Katz likes to golf with the great one. Wouldn't want to piss off the old boys club....

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote