HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kovalchuk most underated player in NHL?

Old
12-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Paxton Fettel

vCash: 500
Best winger in the game underrated? lol

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:29 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

How does someone with a 10+ year contact even be considered "underrated"? GM's don't generally give those contracts to guys flying under the radar.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
No, but you did make him over-rated.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:16 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
He didn't have a bad year in 10-11 just a bad half a season. He almost carried the team all by himself for the second half of that season. With an injured Zach Parise for the entire second half too. He was scoring OT goals, and was scoring, and setting up plays in games we won by just a goal. He was the backbone along with the brilliance of Jacques Lemaire behind the bench who Ilya was quoted as saying he was the best coach he ever played for, and was sad when he left both times.

Also Kovalchuk, and John Maclean hated each other. I'm talking Tremblay/Roy type hate here though it wasn't made as public. Aside from the fact Maclean sucked as coach and Lou kept him around way past his expiration date these two did not get along. Maclean benched him early in the season for something. Supposedly being late to a mandatory team meeting. He didn't play for Maclean either, and didn't respect him. Maclean bashed him in post game press conferences and once said he could have benched ten guys. Not naming any aside from Kovy who he singled out. When Maclean was fired the players acted like they felt so bad, but Kovy with a troll response said something like ''I'm not the reason he was fired don't worry'' When Lemaire came back he was elite again.

Article on Kovy's health during the playoffs.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398364
So what your basically saying is that Kovalchuk quit on his coach and didn't start playing until after his no show first half as the "man" on the team with Zach out...that's great!!!

Kovalchuk has never lead a team anywhere and with Zach bolting, Zajac likely to do the same as well as Marty being over 40 and Elias pushing 40 coupled with the lack of anything other than depth players in the prospect pool means that Kovalchuk really has to be a top player and be a more complete player if he is to lead a team anywhere.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:22 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
So what your basically saying is that Kovalchuk quit on his coach and didn't start playing until after his no show first half as the "man" on the team with Zach out...that's great!!!

Kovalchuk has never lead a team anywhere and with Zach bolting, Zajac likely to do the same as well as Marty being over 40 and Elias pushing 40 coupled with the lack of anything other than depth players in the prospect pool means that Kovalchuk really has to be a top player and be a more complete player if he is to lead a team anywhere.
You're ridiculous. If Kovalchuk quit on his coach then so did the other 17 skaters and 2 goalies. Open your eyes or shut your mouth.

Kovalchuk just lead us to the Stanley Cup Finals. Zajac likely to bolt as well, where is your source for this or are you just pulling more **** out of your ass like usual. Wait, I thought Marty sucked and was a system goalie? Aye, you and your stupid comments make my head hurt.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:47 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
You're ridiculous. If Kovalchuk quit on his coach then so did the other 17 skaters and 2 goalies. Open your eyes or shut your mouth.

Kovalchuk just lead us to the Stanley Cup Finals. Zajac likely to bolt as well, where is your source for this or are you just pulling more **** out of your ass like usual. Wait, I thought Marty sucked and was a system goalie? Aye, you and your stupid comments make my head hurt.
Kovachuk was the guy with Parise out for the year expected to step up and b the leader and he absolutely quit on Johnny Mac and didn't play until he was able to get him fired...good stuff right there!

And Zajac absolutely is likely to bolt...it's certainly better that 50/50 he leaves.

He will be highly sought after as a really solid 2 way center and will have many suitors who will be way better positioned for success for the life of his upcoming deal being that NJ has 2 40 yr old goalies and Elias pushing 40 as well with nothing but depth players in their system that has been rated bottom 5 in the NHL for almost a decade now....why would he not bolt?

Old
12-16-2012, 10:29 PM
BackSpasm Kovy
Reaching for the top

Quote:
Kovachuk was the guy with Parise out for the year expected to step up and b the leader and he absolutely quit on Johnny Mac and didn't play until he was able to get him fired...good stuff right there!

And Zajac absolutely is likely to bolt...it's certainly better that 50/50 he leaves.

He will be highly sought after as a really solid 2 way center and will have many suitors who will be way better positioned for success for the life of his upcoming deal being that NJ has 2 40 yr old goalies and Elias pushing 40 as well with nothing but depth players in their system that has been rated bottom 5 in the NHL for almost a decade now....why would he not bolt?
Rated bottom 5? How many times did people expect the devils to miss the playoffs in years past and yet they finished top 6 in every season since the lockout except for last year, which was an odd year

We just made it to the SCF with our rated bottom 5 depth, it's all good though because you're the most biased poster on HF. Not because you hate a team, that you have to act like an ignorant POS

BackSpasm Kovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:35 PM
sensfan65

Before you call kovy most underrated in the league tell me off the top of your head who was 4th in scoring last year (ahead of kovalchuk)

sensfan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:

Kovalchuk did a good job in leading the Devils past your Rangers this Spring buddy. You probably don't care though cause I don't think you like the Rangers as much as you HATE the Devils. You put a lot of energy into arguing against anything positive about the Devils. Most of what you say though is just absolutely false. I think most people would agree Kovalchuk was the leader of this team last year.

Jersey guy said the same thing. Take Notes has told you. You can add everyone on that roster to Kovy for that half season who did not play. Nothing we say will resonate with you though. It seems you have an agenda, and shoot down everything that's said about the Devils.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:43 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Kovalchuk is actually the most underrated in the HISTORY of the league. That's right.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:44 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Kovalchuk did a good job in leading the Devils past your Rangers this Spring buddy. You probably don't care though cause I don't think you like the Rangers as much as you HATE the Devils. You put a lot of energy into arguing against anything positive about the Devils. Most of what you say though is just absolutely false. I think most people would agree Kovalchuk was the leader of this team last year.

Jersey guy said the same thing. Take Notes has told you. You can add everyone on that roster to Kovy for that half season who did not play. Nothing we say though resonate with you though. It seems you have an agenda, and shoot down everything that's said about the Devils.
I'd agree with all of this. Kovy is a beast. Him being underrated is laughable, but certainly some people don't appreciate just how good he is. The notion that he is overrated is laughable as well. He is exactly what he is; an incredible hockey player.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:45 PM
sattar18

Quote:

Quit pulling numbers out of thin air.

sattar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
I'd agree with all of this. Kovy is a beast. Him being underrated is laughable, but certainly some people don't appreciate just how good he is. The notion that he is overrated is laughable as well. He is exactly what he is; an incredible hockey player.
You're a Rangers fan, I'm a Devils fan, but we certainly see players for who they are. I defended Lundqvist until the death in that thread last week! Saying Kovalchuk wasn't a good leader, or wasn't the motor for the team, and didn't show in the SCF is like the people who said Lundqvist didn't show up for the ECF, and was brutal. Neither is true at all. JA#11 is always up for an argument on a Devils player or something having to do with the Devils though.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:57 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
You're a Rangers fan, I'm a Devils fan, but we certainly see players for who they are. I defended Lundqvist until the death in that thread last week! Saying Kovalchuk wasn't a good leader, or wasn't the motor for the team, and didn't show in the SCF is like the people who said Lundqvist didn't show up for the ECF, and was brutal. Neither is true at all. JA#11 is always up for an argument on a Devils player or something having to do with the Devils though.
Yeah, I'm with you 100%, word for word, on this. Kovy is a monster; I have nothing but respect.

Old
12-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Rangers and Devils fans agreeing on something? Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Baggy Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 07:39 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattar18 View Post
Quit pulling numbers out of thin air.
Tell me you think its likely zajac doesnt bolt and when you say you cant because he will have multiple suitors lined up that are better positioned then the devils then that 50/50 number isnt out of thin air!

Old
12-17-2012, 07:47 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Tell me you think its likely zajac doesnt bolt and when you say you cant because he will have multiple suitors lined up that are better positioned then the devils then that 50/50 number isnt out of thin air!
It is. Whether you say he is likely to leave or he's not, it's essentially out of thin air. You know nothing about him or his situation. It's just as likely he wants to stay, and me saying it's 100% he's going to stay is no less valid than you saying it's 50/50. None of us have a truly informed opinion. I'm fine with someone having an opinion, but not when they state that opinion as fact (and do so as pompously as you have).

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Even this year he got Zach back but even with the talent Kovalchuks team only finished 6th and that took something like a league leading 12 or 13 shootout wins just to get that spot before a cindarella run obviously made up for a so-so regular season for his team.
New Jersey was arguably the 10th best 5 on 5 team in the NHL last year and the 7th best down the stretch. That momentum continued into the playoffs where they arguably outplayed every team they faced, including the Rangers.

Quote:
The team is also not setup at all for the future so Kovalchuk has his work cut out for him if he wants to lead anything other than teams that ranged from middle of the pack to bottom feeder that he has every season of his decade long career thus far.
What we see in the future changes quicker than the weather. New Jersey has $37,837,500 million free in cap space under the old CBA for next season. Lets see what how easy it is for them to pick up core players on the cheap after the new CBA is signed.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 10:24 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Multiple Suitors better then the defending EC champions and the only team hes ever played for. You are delusional.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:57 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
Multiple Suitors better then the defending EC champions and the only team hes ever played for. You are delusional.
You guys went on a cindarella run as a SIX seed who needed TWELVE shootout wins just to get to that spot...this is not some juggernaut team we're talking here.

And thats before you subtract Parise and before you factor in a 40yr old marty being yet another yr older and sitting around 1/2the season which shows even more so at that age...and Elias is puching 40 as well in the next few yrs.

Do you not remember all the spectacular one_and_done flameouts in the first round every yr that precluded last yrs very unlikely run?

Or how they have been in the bottom 5 in prospect pools in every publications list for almost a decade?

Which of us is being delusional again?

Old
12-17-2012, 12:32 PM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
You guys went on a cindarella run as a SIX seed who needed TWELVE shootout wins just to get to that spot...this is not some juggernaut team we're talking here.

And thats before you subtract Parise and before you factor in a 40yr old marty being yet another yr older and sitting around 1/2the season which shows even more so at that age...and Elias is puching 40 as well in the next few yrs.

Do you not remember all the spectacular one_and_done flameouts in the first round every yr that precluded last yrs very unlikely run?

Or how they have been in the bottom 5 in prospect pools in every publications list for almost a decade?

1) The Devils were a comfortable playoff team if you give them a mediocre shootout record

2) I didnt know 36 is "pushing 40". I guess we shouldnt resign Zajac because he's pushing 30 at 27.

3) Do you not remember that NJ has made the playoffs 15 of the last 16 years and have the best GM in sports?

4) Losing Parise hurts, but he was the 3rd best regular season player and 5th in the playoffs (behind Kovy, Marty, Salvador and Henrique).
We've lost much better players and have been fine

5) OMG, Hfboards ranked the Devils prospect pool in the bottom 5, how will they overcome!? Oh right, those rankings dont mean ****. If they did, the Isles and Florida would be winning cups every other year. The fact is, NJ is gonna have one of the best defenses in a few years. Larsson, Merrill, Fayne, Gelinas, Urbom, Scarlett and Severson are all very good young players. Of course, not all of these guys will pan out, but I bet at least half of them do

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

Quote:

It's nice to come onto these boards mid-exams, stressed out and all, and just get a good laugh in. Thank you good sir Your hate against the Devils, specifically Kovalchuk, is really shining through. Defending them at this point is moot, you seem to be forever blinded by incorrect judgments you have convinced yourself to be the truth. Whether it be me, other Devils fans, or even some Rangers fans (which is a sign that you are just wrong), nothing we say will sway your opinion.

Have fun hating on Kovalchuk and the Devils.

Cheddabombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Fire Dumboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
1) The Devils were a comfortable playoff team if you give them a mediocre shootout record

2) I didnt know 36 is "pushing 40". I guess we shouldnt resign Zajac because he's pushing 30 at 27.

3) Do you not remember that NJ has made the playoffs 15 of the last 16 years and have the best GM in sports?

4) Losing Parise hurts, but he was the 3rd best regular season player and 5th in the playoffs (behind Kovy, Marty, Salvador and Henrique).
We've lost much better players and have been fine

5) OMG, Hfboards ranked the Devils prospect pool in the bottom 5, how will they overcome!? Oh right, those rankings dont mean ****. If they did, the Isles and Florida would be winning cups every other year. The fact is, NJ is gonna have one of the best defenses in a few years. Larsson, Merrill, Fayne, Gelinas, Urbom, Scarlett and Severson are all very good young players. Of course, not all of these guys will pan out, but I bet at least half of them do
I think that Elias would go 1st and Kovy 2nd for the regular season, 5 points apart playing with Sykora and Zubrus, while going against the others teams best players, and a lot better defensively

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

ja#11 why do you have a personal agenda to shoot down everything positive about the Devils? From what I've seen you come here more to talk about the Devils who you clearly dislike, than the stuff you actually do like.

Old
12-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Violent By Design

Kovalchuk is a top 10 forward on nearly everybody's list, how is that under-rated?

Violent By Design is offline   Reply With Quote