HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kovalchuk most underated player in NHL?

Old
12-03-2012, 06:49 PM
od71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipops View Post
Wow amazing! He scored in a 5-1 game! Beating a dead horse when its already down! Must have took effort being under all that pressure
Don't forget it was Malkin who made them 1 : 5.
Does it really matter was it his 1st or 3rd goal of the game?

Or this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaQTcVqk8pM
Isn't it a beauty?

PS. I love Covy too. IMHO, he is among 5 top forwards in the world. Almost all you said about him, I do agree

Last edited by od71: 12-03-2012 at 07:02 PM.
od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Wow amazing! He scored in a 5-1 game! Beating a dead horse when its already down! Must have took effort being under all that pressure

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Sky04

Quote:
lol at all the Datysuk overrating going in this thread. He makes a couple highlight reel plays and suddenly he's a better stickhander than Kovalchuk who consistently is good with the puck? Everytime I watch Dats, I see him trying to be all fancy and giving the puck away because he has terrible control and is terrible under pressure.

If you actually watched Kovy and Dats, Malkin and Ove play, out of all those players, Kovy is always trying his best, not being overly fancy with the puck, but focuses more on puck control to help his team rather than trying to show off and looking dumb when he gives the puck away.

It's funny how the Red wing and penguin fanboys show up to defend their husband. Just more ammo to how underrated and how good Kovy really is and how OVERRATED those other players are.

Look at this video of Kovy scoring the winning goal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwhbW6d3xfc

He was under major pressure in OT, this was lemaires milestone game. Look at that speed, that stick handling, that control, that release. No other player in the NHL could do that as good as Kovy. And look at that celebration, all class. Didn't burn his stick, jump into the boards or anything.
So what Toews tries his best and gives the puck up less than Stamkos, your logic apply there too?

Malkin is easily better then Kovalchuk, as long as you're not a blind. Ever watch the 09' playoffs? ever seen Kovalchuk play that good? nope.

Sure he has great stick handling at high speeds, to bad he also gives up the puck TONS of times too, I've seen Malkin makes plenty of highlight reels better then that Kovy play.

You act like Kovalchuk is perfect, and overrate him beyond relief. Malkin outscored him by almost 30 points with worst line mates in less games.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
Seriously?
Seriously

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:36 PM
AD1066

Quote:
lol at all the Datysuk overrating going in this thread. He makes a couple highlight reel plays and suddenly he's a better stickhander than Kovalchuk who consistently is good with the puck? Everytime I watch Dats, I see him trying to be all fancy and giving the puck away because he has terrible control and is terrible under pressure.

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:54 PM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:

I know what you mean, look how terrible he is under pressure.

DatsyukianDeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 1600
Why are people posting in this garbage thread? Kovalchuk has better hands than Datsyuk? This guy's opinion is clearly not worth reading.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:16 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
I know what you mean, look how terrible he is under pressure.

Under pressure in a game against Phoenix? Give me a break.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:29 PM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Yea, because Phoenix is a terrible team and doesn't make the playoffs...

If you want, I could post a 14 minute video showing what that 1 minute just showed, pressure isn't a factor to a player that has as much composure on the ice as Datsyuk, it doesn't even look like he's trying some games, he just toys with opponents.

DatsyukianDeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:34 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
it seems we're in agreement then...

on a more serious note, that is BS. you don't win championships on the regular season when the Hart is awarded. also every team relies on 2-3 players more than on the others, every team dresses up a full team for the playoffs, not only the Wings. this is just an excuse used by their fans for the lack of indiviual regular season trophies in a while. on the other hand they keep pointing out at Fedorov having one of the best seasons ever in his Hart season, though it wasn't "their system or style to rely on 2 or 3 players to carry them to championships" back then either...
Yeah notice Fedorov won the Hart before the Wings started winning championships....

And of course you don't win championships in the regular season, what does that have to do with anything? The Wings do rely on Datsyuk, but not as much as other teams rely on their superstars. The Wings have been about offensive depth and spreading scoring throughout the lineup for a long time, and that should be quite obvious. There's a reason Datsyuk plays 3-4 minutes less than other stars like Malkin and Ovechkin, and it ain't because he isn't physically able to. Datsyuk is one of the most fit and hard-working players in the league. That's also why the Wings don't overpay for players. Datsyuk earns 6.7 million a season. You'd be insane to think he couldn't get far more than that on the open market, but he sacrified money so the Wings could have depth. Lidstrom made about 7 million a season. Could have easily got Ovechkin money if he really wanted to...

Not to mention, there's a strong bias towards players that score a ton of points to win the Hart. Wings have also had a strong focus on 2-way hockey for the past couple decades, which definitely limits a players points potential when he actually has to be defensively responsible, unlike Ovechkin and Malkin.

So yeah, team depth and 2-way hockey has made it very hard for a Wings player to win a Hart recently. Don't really have a problem with it though, as the definition of the Hart is "Most Valuable Player," so teams that rely on one player a lot would make that player extremely valuable to them. And I've been fine with the Wings sacrificing Harts for Cups anyways...

You don't think it's at all odd that the most successfull team of the past two decades only has one Hart winner, and that was before they really started to be successfull? It's biased towards unbalanced teams, or at least it has been since the lockout imo...

Last edited by DanZ: 12-03-2012 at 08:44 PM.
DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:39 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
The other guys example was Kovy vs. the Leafs......

hey, at least Phoenix can make the playoffs

Old
12-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Fire Dumboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
The other guys example was Kovy vs. the Leafs......

hey, at least Phoenix can make the playoffs
That video against Phoenix might of been when they weren't making the playoffs

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:47 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiTzLaMia View Post
That video against Phoenix might of been when they weren't making the playoffs
They were still better than the Leafs

Don't worry though, there's plenty of footage of Datsyuk owning Phoenix in the playoffs as well as many other teams

Old
12-03-2012, 08:50 PM
DearDiary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
So what Toews tries his best and gives the puck up less than Stamkos, your logic apply there too?

Malkin is easily better then Kovalchuk, as long as you're not a blind. Ever watch the 09' playoffs? ever seen Kovalchuk play that good? nope.

Sure he has great stick handling at high speeds, to bad he also gives up the puck TONS of times too, I've seen Malkin makes plenty of highlight reels better then that Kovy play.

You act like Kovalchuk is perfect, and overrate him beyond relief. Malkin outscored him by almost 30 points with worst line mates in less games.
Kovalchuk put up like 35 goals on New Jersey. That's like 50 goals on an offensive team like pittsburgh. Malkin wouldn't break 20 goals if he had to play defense and was on a leash.

And Toews is a overrated like crazy and looks like a little kid. Would you want him as your captain? Would you rely on him to win you a game in overtime? No, not unless you're a major chicago fanboy, everyone else would easily take Stamkos over Toews. Stamkos doesn't need intangibles, he is a much better player than Toews

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1066 View Post

Got to love how you picked a video cherry picking his handling. What about the other 99% of his ice time making terrible plays?

If you're going to post a video, post a whole game where Dats is playing as consistently well as Kovalchuk. Dats is the master of giving up on plays. Too many times he turns over the puck and slowly skates away. H

DearDiary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:54 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Kovalchuk put up like 35 goals on New Jersey. That's like 50 goals on an offensive team like pittsburgh. Malkin wouldn't break 20 goals if he had to play defense and was on a leash.

And Toews is a overrated like crazy and looks like a little kid. Would you want him as your captain? Would you rely on him to win you a game in overtime? No, not unless you're a major chicago fanboy, everyone else would easily take Stamkos over Toews. Stamkos doesn't need intangibles, he is a much better player than Toews

Got to love how you picked a video cherry picking his handling. What about the other 99% of his ice time making terrible plays?

If you're going to post a video, post a whole game where Dats is playing as consistently well as Kovalchuk. Dats is the master of giving up on plays. Too many times he turns over the puck and slowly skates away. H
This post is full of ridiculousness

Old
12-03-2012, 09:05 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

This thread makes me want to claw my eyes out with a rusty spork...

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:

If you actually watched Kovy and Dats, Malkin and Ove play, out of all those players, Kovy is always trying his best, not being overly fancy with the puck, but focuses more on puck control to help his team rather than trying to show off and looking dumb when he gives the puck away.

It's funny how the Red wing and penguin fanboys show up to defend their husband. Just more ammo to how underrated and how good Kovy really is and how OVERRATED those other players are.

Look at this video of Kovy scoring the winning goal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwhbW6d3xfc

He was under major pressure in OT, this was lemaires milestone game. Look at that speed, that stick handling, that control, that release. No other player in the NHL could do that as good as Kovy. And look at that celebration, all class. Didn't burn his stick, jump into the boards or anything.
this thread really does make more sense to me now.

Im sorry that I think Datsyuk does things other NHLers could only wish to be able to do.

for people doubting Pavel's skill watch this and remember hes almost as good defensively as well.

BTW he plays in a defensive system, for people wondering what I meant by he could put up for more points by being selfish.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:28 PM
DisneyDucky

Quote:

......Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.....

DisneyDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:31 PM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
this thread really does make more sense to me now.

Im sorry that I think Datsyuk does things other NHLers could only wish to be able to do.

for people doubting Pavel's skill watch this and remember hes almost as good defensively as well.

BTW he plays in a defensive system, for people wondering what I meant by he could put up for more points by being selfish.

I almost fell to tears watching this video.
God bless Dats!
He's my #2

Thank you for posting this video

Last edited by od71: 12-03-2012 at 09:39 PM.
od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:38 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Datsyuk never does his dangles to be "flashy" or showoff. The majority of Datsyuk's dangles work because he chooses the perfect times to use them and they're so effective. Datsyuk doesn't flick the puck over the net from behind because he wants to look good, its because it works.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:59 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Kovalchuk is Aweome. Easily one of my favorite players in the league. It's sad that his career has been shortened by a full lost season and a partial season this year.

Last edited by King Forsberg: 12-04-2012 at 12:45 PM.
King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:10 PM
LSnow

While Datsyuk is awesome, why people say Datsyuk is top 3 forward and exclude Zetterberg even from top 20 lists when he is just as good defensively and offensively while being a more of a direct force driving wings than shadowy setup man like Datsyuk.

LSnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:17 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Thought this was hilarious

LeafsMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Sky04

Quote:

Toews>kovalchuk if kovys going to continue to only put up 80 points a season

and Malkin would have 120 points with that kind of support in NJ

Lets not forget Kovy could barely break 50 on an offensive atl team, and if Parise could break 40 I don't see Kovalchuks excuse.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:23 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Toews>kovalchuk if kovys going to continue to only put up 80 points a season

and Malkin would have 120 points with that kind of support in NJ

Lets not forget Kovy could barely break 50 on an offensive atl team, and if Parise could break 40 I don't see Kovalchuks excuse.
Maybe because Kovalchuk isn't in his early twenties like Parise was when he scored 45

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote