HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto-Nashville

Old
12-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Badger Mayhew

vCash: 50
Toronto-Nashville

Toronto:
Jake Gardiner

Nashville:
Austin Watson
Kevin Klein

I'll admit to not being too familiar with Nashville's needs, so I'm unsure about this one, but Gardiner's pretty much our top prospect apart from Rielly so I thought I'd offer him up for a package that makes the Leafs a lot better.

Watson is that defensive center we've needed for so long (imagine the quality of our two-way play with him and Kulemin), while Klein is a solid second pairing stay-at-home defenseman.

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Value-wise, Nashville loves this. The issue here is playing style. After Weber, our young D are all offensive (Josi/Ellis/Blum), while our aging guys are defensive (Gill, Hannan). The only moderately young DFD we have is Klein, so dealing him for an OFD gives us an overload of puck movers and no enough shutdown guys. Klein fills a unique need here.

I would change it to Blum+Watson if TOR is still in.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:04 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

As far as value, it's good, but Nashville just signed Klein to a 5-year extension for a reason. They've invested a lot of time and effort into him and want to hang onto him.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
We need to hold on to our vet defenders right now, our d would be incredibly young even without this trade.

But, I do think this would be a good trade deadline deal when Toronto is wanting to shore up their d for a long run.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

Not bad but I like Colin Wilson more than Watson

Mystifo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:39 PM
JayOnrait18

Value is good but the Leafs love Gardnier so giving him up would take a bit more, maybe a pick as well

JayOnrait18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:54 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

explain to me why the leafs are trading their all rookie team d man?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Gardiner is probably good enough that this would be something to consider. Issue is the age breakdown. If Erat was 40, Legwand was retiring, and some other pieces were moving away from us, I'd say go ahead, take a year or two of mediocrity, and roll into the future with one of the best young D-corps in the NHL. As-is we're still a win now team, and we probably need Klein to make any material headway.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Badger Mayhew

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
explain to me why the leafs are trading their all rookie team d man?
I love Gardiner, but the overrating of him by some fellow Leaf fans irritates me to no end.

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:51 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
I love Gardiner, but the overrating of him by some fellow Leaf fans irritates me to no end.
but he was on the all rookie team so again why trade him

Old
12-03-2012, 05:35 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
Toronto:
Jake Gardiner

Nashville:
Austin Watson
Kevin Klein

I'll admit to not being too familiar with Nashville's needs, so I'm unsure about this one, but Gardiner's pretty much our top prospect apart from Rielly so I thought I'd offer him up for a package that makes the Leafs a lot better.

Watson is that defensive center we've needed for so long (imagine the quality of our two-way play with him and Kulemin), while Klein is a solid second pairing stay-at-home defenseman.
I just don't see how Austin Watson motivates the Leafs to lose Jake Gardiner for Kevin Klein. Don't get me wrong, Watson's a great prospect, but he's a winger, who's playing in his 3rd post-draft season coming out of the OHL. That means it's time for him to challenge for an NHL spot, and the Leafs simply don't have room to get value out of him.

Realistically... the Leafs can't place a substantial value on NHL-ready prospects, simply because we've got a ton of them. We've gotta place value on making our team better immediately (without losing youth in our lineup), and in the absence of that, longer term prospects.

Last edited by seanlinden: 12-03-2012 at 05:41 PM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:13 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

I'm a big Watson fan and I very want him on the Leafs, but we can't trade Gardiner.

Watson for who on the Leafs roster/system?

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:16 PM
capitalsrock

Nashville sure does love themselves some defensemen. Take out Klein and put in a forward. Seems like Nashville only needs defense to win

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
Nashville sure does love themselves some defensemen. Take out Klein and put in a forward. Seems like Nashville only needs defense to win
Which is why we don't want to do this trade. We've already got Josi, Ellis, Blum and Ekholm we don't need Gardiner, even though he has supposedly made the all rookie team if I have read that right the first couple of times.

Not saying Gardiner isn't talented, but we need Watson a lot more right now.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:37 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
So a top 4 D with potential for a potential 2/3rd line C and a decent top 4 D? Nahh, only way im dealing Gardiner is for a center in a similar position, break out rookie with top line potential.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
You keep saying that but luke schenn was on all rookie team as well. and he got traded. by the leafs.

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
Because your team has lots of holes to fill?

Because that's not really something THAT impressive. I mean, Tom Gilbert was an all rookie team defenseman in 2008. He's a solid defenseman but no where near untradeable.

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Sens fan saying thats pretty bad for the leafs.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:35 AM
rock45

I'd take this for Toronto, i personally like Kevin Klein, and this it's pretty fair trade value if you ask me.

rock45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:47 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
You keep saying that but luke schenn was on all rookie team as well. and he got traded. by the leafs.
the Schenn trade addressed a need rhat being size in the top 6 this does not address any need whatsoever gardiner isn't going anywhere

Old
12-04-2012, 01:00 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy and Abed View Post

Because that's not really something THAT impressive. I mean, Tom Gilbert was an all rookie team defenseman in 2008. He's a solid defenseman but no where near untradeable.
people say we have lots of holes to fill this is not entirely true. There are 2 holes on the leafs that must be filled #1 goalie and a legit top 6 perferably top line but deffently top 6 center. The problem those are the 2 most important parts of a team and because they have yet to be filled the team looks much worse then it actually is giving the impression we have more holes then we do.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:02 AM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
people say we have lots of holes to fill this is not entirely true. There are 2 holes on the leafs that must be filled #1 goalie and a legit top 6 perferably top line but deffently top 6 center. The problem those are the 2 most important parts of a team and because they have yet to be filled the team looks much worse then it actually is giving the impression we have more holes then we do.
Well you said it yourself you have holes at the 2 most important positions a team needs to be successful, among others.

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:48 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Well you said it yourself you have holes at the 2 most important positions a team needs to be successful, among others.
there really are no others though the wing depth is solid I do think you'll see a couple changes there but it's solid.

they have some nice d in phaneuf liles gardiner gunnar with percy reilley finn blacker holzer in the system solid depth there, wouldn't be socked to see a stay at home guy brought in maybe regehr if he hits free agency.

the only true holes I see are goal and a top 6 center

granted those are big holes but those are it

Old
12-04-2012, 09:33 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:

Its true Toronto has holes to fill, and its true that Gardiner would be available for such a deal, but this deal addresses none of those. The only way im dealing Gardiner is for a young 2nd line C with potential to be a top line player (essentially what Gardiner is on D).

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
the Schenn trade addressed a need rhat being size in the top 6 this does not address any need whatsoever gardiner isn't going anywhere
Everyone keeps talkin about thw leafs being deep in d. Smartest thing a gm does when trading, is dealinh from a position of strength. With a guy like rielly on the rise, he can easily replace gardiner l, and using gardinr in a package, the leafs can maybe get a goalie or good centre. Im glad you understand how trades work.

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote