HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Game times to kill Canadian WJC buzz? (TSN's broadcast schedule)

Old
12-06-2012, 10:05 AM
yoteshot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Is there a time difference between Ufa and Sochi?
Sotchi is 2 hours closer to us.

yoteshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:11 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteshot View Post
Sotchi is 2 hours closer to us.
Also there were rumors that Russia will cancel permanent DST that is in effect now so it could be three hours by 2014.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:21 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

I actually start working at those hours. Damnit!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory View Post
That is just the best time! Love when the tournament is in NA then most of our games start at that time. There is something special to stay up at night to see! I'm still in school though so I'm on christmas break at that time, might () be different if you work
Yup it will suck for me. I just checked and the replays are on at 1130 AM Mountain. So I am still working, the only game they are showing in prime time from the Round Robin is the New Years Eve game.

TSN is missing the boat not showing all the games in prime time. Though, I guess they have lots of commitments too with the Spengler Cup and all the NCAA Bowl games, not to mention the NFL and NBA. So I guess they can't shuffle all the games into prime time.

My PVR will get a workout during the tournament. Now to ensure nobody spoils the games for me while I am working. This is the lone drawback to having a job where I deal with the public all day is someone is bound to tell me the score.

I wonder if TSN would be better off showing the games solely tape delayed? Since CTV is a Bell owned company, TSN could basically impose an Olympics style media blackout on their networks. Until the game is shown tape delayed at 7 Eastern, all Bell media outlets would refrain from showing the score or highlights (no CTV News Channel or CTV local affiliates, Sportscentre etc.). By not having the game on live at 4:30 AM, it minimizes people talking about the game. If you want to know who won, you'd have to seek it out. Fans of the WJCs would watch CTV news instead of Global, CBC or City, so it would be win-win for all partners.

I guess us Canadians will have to get used to this, isn't the tournament in Europe for the next three or so?

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
Pretty bad for NA fans, but it's fair and all. I'll be able to watch the Dec 26th game, 28th I'll be on a plane on WestJet and might be able to catch some since they have live TV. I'm excited for the 30th though, probably just drink and head to the bars the night before and stay up to watch it. 31st I'll be at work, but there's a TV in eyesight so I can still watch.
Hasn't WestJet removed the Live TV? I had heard they now have preloaded tablets you can rent for $10. I'm not sure whether they've removed all the Live TV yet from all planes, but it is happening soonish if hasn't been done. I think that is a step backward since Air Canada has free content and most US airlines at least have a free movie on board.

Old
12-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Chall

Watching last years finals between Sweden and Russia with my friends, the game being finished at like 6 am, is one of my fondest hockey memories. Watching hockey in the middle of the night/early in the morning is awesome.

Chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:02 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
They put all games of Team Russia in prime time and that's #1 reason why Canada/USA play so early. Aside from Canada/USA game, that's the main reason.
Yes it makes perfect sense to give the host country the prime time slots, but is there a reason why on the Sunday the Canada vs USA game has been relegated from the ideal TV time slot in favour of Germany vs Slovakia?

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:38 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Yup, sure sucks they can't make the teams play in the middle of the night in Russia to please the Canadian tv audiences...
It makes sense financially.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:47 PM
topched

Don't know about the rest of you but this isn't really all that difficult a switch for me.

Up at 8am every morning usually, and in bed before midnight.

Will be adjusting my sleep schedule the week before to get myself adjusted. Will be going to bed around 830/9 and waking up for 4. Never have any committments after 9 at night and before 8am for the most part.

I love this tournament, its my favorite part of the holiday season. This isn't a difficult adjustment.

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Snippit

I'm going to wake up early EVERY DAY to watch these games live. I'd never miss out on the action! Any tips regarding sleeping pattern?

Also, I may watch from my Ipod Touch, to not wake anybody up in the middle of the night. How does the quality look on TSN Mobile?

Snippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

I'm actually looking forward to it, I'm usually up that late anyway.

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:08 AM
kedr

Send a message via ICQ to kedr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chall View Post
Watching last years finals between Sweden and Russia with my friends, the game being finished at like 6 am, is one of my fondest hockey memories. Watching hockey in the middle of the night/early in the morning is awesome.
Oh yes, watching hockey at night/early morning has its charm.
If not too often, of course.

kedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:24 AM
Muuri

Last year Russian's game were in horrible times for them.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:56 AM
QnebO

Welcome to EU (European uOwls) club. All european NHL fans are owls, the gametimes are exatcly the same that its usually for me if I want to watch NHL live. If i have something important next day, I watch and sleep at the same time. I usually wake up with my other eye at least when Teemu's line is having a shift, or if a goal is scored or if a powerplay is on, or if there is shootout going, or if there is last minutes of playoff game going. Your body will fastly evolve to wake up at those times.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:48 AM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
2 hour differences from events held in Moscow, Beijing, India, Western Australia.

0 hour difference from many KHL games that are available to us.

Nvm the fact that Canada+USA have almost entirely a 5am AST schedule but Russia who'd be the easiest to slot in at that time slot gets the 10am AST schedule.

It's dumb.
Uh... that's because Russia is playing in primetime. The host team always plays in prime time, so, you know, people can actually go to and watch the games after work.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:02 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Their tournament, their rules.

We host it over here all the time mainly because it generates a ton of revenue for the IIHF.

The benefit is that we get to watch it in prime time more often than not.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:09 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
Uh... that's because Russia is playing in primetime. The host team always plays in prime time, so, you know, people can actually go to and watch the games after work.
The Can vs USA game on the 30th is a scheduling ****-up. it has to be. There's actually no reason to have that game at that time. It's actually going to take away potential profits by cutting out over half of the WJHC viewership in a single blow when they could've had it.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:18 PM
topched

Quote:
The Can vs USA game on the 30th is a scheduling ****-up. it has to be. There's actually no reason to have that game at that time. It's actually going to take away potential profits by cutting out over half of the WJHC viewership in a single blow when they could've had it.
What do they care about the viewership? TSN is paying them the same amount of $$ to be the exclusive broadcaster as they would any other year. TSN if anyone would be the one takign the hit in NA as they don't have that NA primetime slot to sell to advertisers.

The IIHF is going to make far more money having Russia play where they can sell out the building for the home team's games during primetime in the host nation. Canada/US games etc. will still have high attendance because the contingent of supporters who head over there are there for the tournament only.

The IIHF's mandate is to grow the game internationally, not make Canadians happy. This tournament has alot of international flavour, and its proper to tailor it to the host team's audience. The fact that it is held in Canada/NA every other year, and has been the last 3 straight years is more than enough accomodation.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:23 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
What do they care about the viewership? TSN is paying them the same amount of $$ to be the exclusive broadcaster as they would any other year. TSN if anyone would be the one takign the hit in NA as they don't have that NA primetime slot to sell to advertisers.

The IIHF is going to make far more money having Russia play where they can sell out the building for the home team's games during primetime in the host nation. Canada/US games etc. will still have high attendance because the contingent of supporters who head over there are there for the tournament only.

The IIHF's mandate is to grow the game internationally, not make Canadians happy. This tournament has alot of international flavour, and its proper to tailor it to the host team's audience. The fact that it is held in Canada/NA every other year, and has been the last 3 straight years is more than enough accomodation.
Oh so you know how much TSN is paying them. Cool, how much? How much compared to other tournaments?

I'll read the end of your post when you validate the beginning of it

Old
12-07-2012, 12:27 PM
topched

Quote:
Oh so you know how much TSN is paying them. Cool, how much? How much compared to other tournaments?

I'll read the end of your post when you validate the beginning of it
If thats the attitude you're going to take then I'm not going to even bother justifying myself.

The point is (if you had the right attitude and looked at the rest of the post) that the IIHF's mandate isn't to make money. Its to grow the sport internationally. Holding the tournament in NA every other year makes them more than enough money to offset the costs of having it somewhere else where it may be less popular.

The growth of the game, and the tournaments popularity is far more important than making money (which they will do regardless of time slots). I know that if I was Russian and they were scheduling our games in the afternoon where I wouldn't be able to view them I would be angry and disinterested in following the tournament as the organizers would be showing North American bias.

Sponsors/hosts help the IIHF hold this tournament, for example Melnyk in Ottawa in 2009. I don't think he would have been happy hosting Canadian games in his own building in the middle of the afternoon because "the tournament is very popular in Russia".

Old
12-07-2012, 12:34 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

You're not going to bother yourself because you don't have the answer.

A) Do you seriously believe TSN paid as much for these 4am timeslots as they did for prime-time timeslots?

B) You say they aren't in it for the money and that they want to grow the sport internationally. These fit like hand in glove. Swapping SVK vs GER with CAN vs USA wouldn't hurt international growth of the game, but does impact ratings of both Canadian and USA media coverage, sponsorships, and tournament exposure. It's just silly not to take advantage of that opportunity unless it was decided before the seeds were determined. If that's the case then it's at LEAST sensible.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:

A) Do you seriously believe TSN paid as much for these 4am timeslots as they did for prime-time timeslots?
Indeed I do. TSN is in year 6 of a 7 year deal with Hockey Canada to broadcast their events. In 2006, I don't believe the 2013 tournament site had been chosen yet, so TSN paid the same amount per year for the broadcast rights.

Quote:
VANCOUVER (January 3, 2006) – In the midst of the most successful IIHF World Junior Championship broadcast ever, Hockey Canada and CTV Specialty Television Enterprises Inc. (CTV Specialty) today announced an extension of its long-standing partnership. Under the new seven-year pact, TSN and RDS retain the exclusive broadcast rights to Hockey Canada events, as well as the addition of multimedia rights, strengthening the networks’ position as the home for hockey. The deal begins in 2007 and runs through the 2014 season, representing a 24-year ongoing relationship dating back to 1991.

As part of the agreement, TSN and RDS will televise a minimum of 26 games from key Hockey Canada tournaments each year, up from the minimum of 22 the networks currently televise. TSN and RDS will add to its broadcast schedules the following events:
Allan Cup – Canada’s national Senior Men’s AAA Championship, featuring six teams competing for the title; one of the country’s oldest hockey tournaments
National Women’s Under-18 Championship – teams from Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, and Quebec, along with a representative from the Atlantic Provinces, join two teams from Ontario to compete for the national title
World Junior A Challenge – inaugural event takes place November 2006 in Yorkton, Sask., featuring two Canadian (East and West) all-star Junior A teams against four European teams
TSN and RDS will continue to televise the following popular Hockey Canada National Championships and International events in which Canada participates: World Junior Championship, Women’s World Championship, World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, Telus Cup, RBC Royal Bank Cup, Esso Women’s National Hockey Championship, World Men’s Under-18 Championship, and the women’s national Team Canada games.

For the full press release it is here: http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...94/la_id/1.htm

It doesn't mention dollar figures, but when the deal was signed I don't believe that any of the host sites had been assigned beyond 2008. So TSN had no idea where the 2013 sites were going to be. Besides, I'm sure Rogers Sportsnet would have jumped at picking up the package, had TSN said nevermind we don't want to broadcast games in that timeslot.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:46 PM
topched

Quote:

B) You say they aren't in it for the money and that they want to grow the sport internationally. These fit like hand in glove. Swapping SVK vs GER with CAN vs USA wouldn't hurt international growth of the game, but does impact ratings of both Canadian and USA media coverage, sponsorships, and tournament exposure. It's just silly not to take advantage of that opportunity unless it was decided before the seeds were determined. If that's the case then it's at LEAST sensible.
How do they fit hand in glove? Essentially you're suggesting that they move Canada's game into the later time slot to accomodate viewers in the NA timezone.

What you forget is that SVK and GER would lose the in arena attendance that they would receive for the later game in Russia.... which those kids deserve, as this will likely be one of their only games with the potential for a full house (aside from playing the host team). And you also are stripping Slovakians and Germans who may be interested in this tournament from viewing that game at a reasonable time in their respective countries.

You have to organize the tournament fairly. Each team needs to be given afternoon and night games in Russia. As with previous tournaments only the host team should be given preferential treatment with regards to time slots and television viewership.

This tournament is as popular as its ever going to get in Canada. The room for growth is among other countries... long term that is where the potential for growth in profits is going to come from.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:47 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
Indeed I do. TSN is in year 6 of a 7 year deal with Hockey Canada to broadcast their events. In 2006, I don't believe the 2013 tournament site had been chosen yet, so TSN paid the same amount per year for the broadcast rights.

For the full press release it is here: http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...94/la_id/1.htm

It doesn't mention dollar figures, but when the deal was signed I don't believe that any of the host sites had been assigned beyond 2008. So TSN had no idea where the 2013 sites were going to be. Besides, I'm sure Rogers Sportsnet would have jumped at picking up the package, had TSN said nevermind we don't want to broadcast games in that timeslot.
Ah well done. The cost of business I guess. Stand corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
How do they fit hand in glove?
International growth increases revenue. If they really cared about growing the international game for reasons beyond making money they'd host the tournament in budding hockey nations like Latvia, Switzerland, Germany, or even Czech+Slovakia (ie some other country that doesn't get it often)? They certainly don't host it in the USA, Canada 9/10 years because it helps the international game

Last edited by GM17*: 12-07-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old
12-07-2012, 12:49 PM
ponder

Thank god for PVR.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote