HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Thread #3: The Rollercoaster Continues...

View Poll Results: When will the lockout end?
December 15-31st,2012 6 19.35%
January 2013 13 41.94%
September 2013 6 19.35%
October 2013-December 2013 2 6.45%
January 2014 0 0%
September 2014 0 0%
October 2014-January 2015 0 0%
NHL is gone forever 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Upshall is insane. The guy has played 231 games the last 4 seasons, getting 57 goals and 105 points.

So he's averaging 58 games, 14 goals and 26 points a season...gets paid 3.5 a million a year, yet he has this outrageous sense of entitlement.

I think something like Twitter really disillusions sport stars, because you have thousands of people butt kissing you, and it creates this warped sense of reality where these players think people will love them no matter what.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:18 PM
SDig14

vCash: 500
It hasn't happened yet, but at some point the players will break and realize they simply are not in control of this situation.

These owners have several businesses, some worth over 500 million and some well over a billion, they can make plenty of money without NHL hockey.

These players won't make a dime without hockey, and the vast majority are not educated enough to get a high paying job after hockey.

It's not a matter of it but when they decide to cave. Sadly, it appears they will do so after they have already lost the entire season.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:19 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
There's an old saying in the investment industry:

Bulls make money.

Bears make money.

Pigs get slaughtered.

The NHLPA is about to get slaughtered.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:20 PM
SDig14

Also, give me the average NHL salary at 2.4M and the average career length of 3 years, I will take my 7+ million and you can call me a COW whenever you please.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Toydarian

Anyone else think it's the Player Agents and NHLPA execs who are running the show as they have the most to gain and the least to lose?

Old
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
Upshall is insane. The guy has played 231 games the last 4 seasons, getting 57 goals and 105 points.

So he's averaging 58 games, 14 goals and 26 points a season...gets paid 3.5 a million a year, yet he has this outrageous sense of entitlement.

I think something like Twitter really disillusions sport stars, because you have thousands of people butt kissing you, and it creates this warped sense of reality where these players think people will love them no matter what.
I hope I see that fool at the mall when I'm Christmas Shopping. I might just throw my Booster Juice at him.

Old
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

Quote:

It isn't Twitter, it's life. Athletes are worshiped and made rich for no appreciable reason. It's our own fault for crowning them.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Eytinge

I hope the whole year is gone. Hockey fans are some of the most loyal fans in all of sports and this is how both sides jerk us around? Whatever. Lose this year, and part of next and lets see 5 or 6 teams in the US go kaput. It'll make it a better league anyways.

And hockey players are just so damn unlikable. Seems NFL and NBA players are a lot more appreciative of what they have and the money they make. Seems hockey players are a bunch of rich/upper middle class guys that grew up privileged and buy into every word Fehr tells them. You get guaranteed contracts and don't have to pay for food, rooming, equipment...stop whining about how contracts will have a 5 year limit now.

A good 75% of the union will never get big money and high term deals anyway. The average NHL career is 3 years. Your all falling on your swords for the Crosbys and Toews of the world, stop doing what's best for them. Where is Trevor Lindin when you need him or Hamrlik or Neuvirth. What about all the retired players telling these guys to take the deal now. The deal got WORSE last time they took a stand.

What a bunch of morons. This is THE NHL, not the NFL. Fans and gate revenue are so much more important to them because they don't get the big TV contracts the NFL, MLB or NBA get. Fans won't continue to get jerked around like this, and they'll regret standing on their morals for Fehr when they don't return.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:24 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib
Players hire Fehr to potentially lose 100% of their salaries, precious time in a short career and decertify their union? #goodhire
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:25 PM
okgooil

This is pretty unreal. According the Bettman they spend all week breaking it down. 3 things we want, 3 things you want. So the owners gave them all three things, then the players asked for the other 3 things as well. Really sad.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:25 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.
Who is Russo? Never heard of him. Any way, bang on

Old
12-06-2012, 08:27 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
He's Minnesota's Rishaug.

EDIT: Maybe that's not entirely accurate but he's pretty highly regarded.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:30 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
This is pretty unreal. According the Bettman they spend all week breaking it down. 3 things we want, 3 things you want. So the owners gave them all three things, then the players asked for the other 3 things as well. Really sad.

just when I thought it would be impossible to be less on the players side.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:30 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Writes for the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Fairly highly regarded journalist. He was top notch during the Boogaard tragedy.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Russo has been awesome throughout the whole lockout

Old
12-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Also, give me the average NHL salary at 2.4M and the average career length of 3 years, I will take my 7+ million and you can call me a COW whenever you please.
Well this is what's so damn confusing. The players average salary from the last lockout increased. The minimum salary increased. length of contracts increased (saw it reported 90 contracts over the length of 6 years as opposed to 1 with regards to last lockout), and the guys think they're getting treated badly?

I mean it's not like it's the NFL with non-guaranteed contracts, these are fully guaranteed.

It essentially boils down to the players being disillusioned. From all reports it seems the NHL compromised on a few things that the players wanted, and when asked to have the favor returned, the players asked for new demands. Moved the goal posts.

12-06-2012, 08:37 PM
dnicks17

Having to wade through all the "#FireBettman" tweets and retweets is getting annoying.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:37 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 785
Quote:
Upshall gets 3.5 a year? Ew.
I would so take him at that price in a fraction of a heartbeat. Not someone you want at the negotiating table during CBA talks, but definitely someone you want on your team. He's a bit of a goof but overall I like how he leads.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:38 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Well this is what's so damn confusing. The players average salary from the last lockout increased. The minimum salary increased. length of contracts increased (saw it reported 90 contracts over the length of 6 years as opposed to 1 with regards to last lockout), and the guys think they're getting treated badly?

I mean it's not like it's the NFL with non-guaranteed contracts, these are fully guaranteed.

It essentially boils down to the players being disillusioned. From all reports it seems the NHL compromised on a few things that the players wanted, and when asked to have the favor returned, the players asked for new demands. Moved the goal posts.
I honestly think the players have had it SOO good for such a long time that they have lost the sense of reality when it comes to employer/employee relationships.

Find me a successful business model paying their players 53% of all the dollars that come in the door.

Old
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:

They have no concept of how incredibly privileged they are.

It's mind boggling that they think it appropriate to apply the same negotiating tactics as manufacturing workers living pay cheque to pay cheque.

Old
dnicks17

Quote:
adater ‏@adater
From deep inside players side: "We were ready to play again. But Don came in (Wed.) and told us we could get more and to hold out"
I'm really kicking myself for getting so optimistic now that garbage like this is being revealed.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:40 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 785
Quote:
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Ron Hainsey says the NHL told players last night that bringing Don Fehr back into the room was potentially "a deal-breaker."
Confirms my suspicion that the owners/players negotiation was a ploy to try to buy the contract limitations with some cash. The two sides were never as close as people think.

The owners want to undermine Fehr and get him out of the way because he's the guy who knows what he's doing. That's why the NHLPA hired him. The players need him, they are ill equipped to negotiate with a bunch of very successful business men who do this for a living. It's not a knock against Fehr, the NHL just want the NHLPA's best player off the ice.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:41 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I'm really kicking myself for getting so optimistic now that garbage like this is being revealed.
And Dater isn't a guy to toss this out there without hard facts.

However, does this mean they are just willing to hold out to try to get more from now until the breaking point?

Or are they willing to miss the year to hold out for more?

Old
12-06-2012, 08:43 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
I would so take him at that price in a fraction of a heartbeat. Not someone you want at the negotiating table during CBA talks, but definitely someone you want on your team. He's a bit of a goof but overall I like how he leads.
You know the only reason he got that deal was so the Panthers could make the cap floor. He's one of those guys that loved the last CBA because without a cap floor he'd be making about a million bucks tops.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:44 PM
dnicks17

To add to that:
Quote:
adater ‏@adater
That deep-inside-players quote came from depth player. They want to play, but top players still in Fehr camp. Could explode soon

Closed Thread