HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lockout Thread #3: The Rollercoaster Continues...

View Poll Results: When will the lockout end?
December 15-31st,2012 6 19.35%
January 2013 13 41.94%
September 2013 6 19.35%
October 2013-December 2013 2 6.45%
January 2014 0 0%
September 2014 0 0%
October 2014-January 2015 0 0%
NHL is gone forever 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 01:59 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
s.

I stopped liking the NHL brand at some point in the 90's.

So what you are telling me is you just come here to start crap then?

Old
12-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Fehr isn't speaking for the common man. He is speaking for Unions worldwide who have had to deal with Business's new approach to breaking Unions via lockouts.
How about that strike by Hostess workers? Hostess is now out of business. Yup, unions know best.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
How about that strike by Hostess workers? Hostess is now out of business. Yup, unions know best.
You should actually take the time to look at what actually happened at Hostess. You might learn something

Old
12-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
You can negotiate while playing. You can even sign an agreement that you won't strike or lockout during that season.
Sure you can. And if you continue to play under the current CBA - there is absolutely no impetus for the union to make an agreement while a third of the NHL teams lose money. Sure sounds reasonable.

Quote:
If one side negotiates fairly but the other decides to walk out and use the right to lock out or strike which side do you think is being unreasonable?
Well, you haven't described the NHLPA because they weren't interested in negotiating all summer.

Quote:
All this "rawr players bad they make too much money they should sign an agreement while being bent over because I want to watch hockey rawr" is utter nonsense.
Agreed, because that's not the argument. I guess you believe that the players are being bent over by being paid millions of dollars in salaries, have no team expenses to worry about (equipment, medical, airtravel, hotel), all while one half of the teams are either bleeding money in the red, or is making the same amount of money as a third line NHL player.

Quote:
If you and I were negotiating over something and my first response to you at a meeting was to point a gun at you and say its mine is that me being fair then?
Really - where's the gun? Seems to me the NHL offers include positives and negatives. They offer $300 million but that's tied to ten year CBA because that's how it makes sense financial.

The NHLPA takes what they like about the offer and forgets the rest - $300 million make whole, but back to a five year CBA. That's not negotiation, that's thickheadedness.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:11 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Ok first of all I never said the majority of people what I was saying was there are still quite a bit of people who don't agree with you. That poll has 89 votes it does not represent the opinion of everyone I don't even think I was one of the voters in that thread it just died to fast
This thread is older but represents the opinion of more users
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...215&highlight=

Many of the guys saying there wouldn't be a season have been saying so for a long time and they might be right. there still time to make a deal and you ever know in whats going to happen in labour negotiations

Fact is a lot of users and people in general still do believe a season will be had if you read through this thread you'll see what I'm talking about
You dont think Ive been reading/participating in the thread?

Maybe we should start a new poll to see what people think right now?

Im guessing you will be wrong. Again.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:19 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
You can negotiate while playing. You can even sign an agreement that you won't strike or lockout during that season.
Do you honestly think that Fehr would have agreed to a no-strike clause and thus, lose all his leverage? Do you think that the owners would have played a season under no CBA with the potential threat of a player strike and thus, lose all their leverage?
Bettman and Fehr didn't get to their respective positions by being stupid.
The players had plenty of opportunities to negotiate during the season leading up to the CBA expiration date and declined the owners open door policy until well after the CBA expired.
The bottom line is that "The players just want to play" doesn't really hold water in this situation.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So what you are telling me is you just come here to start crap then?
The game improved for awhile, the Oilers improved for awhile, 97, and kept me in it. Its not like I ever left but gawd the 90's were depressing with this club. The years since not being any better.

Who knows why I still cheer. Theres a magic question there for a lot of us I suspect.

But I won't go to games until its reasonably priced entertainment and that respects me as a fan.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Beerfish

This is very poor timing in regards to the arena as well. Something not many people are commenting on. How can you lobby the city to pay for an arena for a business that has not existed for possibly 2 full years out of the last 8?

How can you justify funding an arena when the tenant who is going to benefit most may not be operating as intended?

Can you imagine a year after a new arena is built on the tax payers dime if there is no hockey for year? Who is going to go down town to 'fund' the renewal of the area. Can you imagine the Edmonton oilers raking in big dollars from concerts and such while not playing?

After what has been going on if I was the city I would demand a clause that reverts any and all arena revenue to the city if the team is not playing.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Do you honestly think that Fehr would have agreed to a no-strike clause and thus, lose all his leverage? Do you think that the owners would have played a season under no CBA with the potential threat of a player strike and thus, lose all their leverage?
Bettman and Fehr didn't get to their respective positions by being stupid.
The players had plenty of opportunities to negotiate during the season leading up to the CBA expiration date and declined the owners open door policy until well after the CBA expired.
The bottom line is that "The players just want to play" doesn't really hold water in this situation.
That is a tough one to say. I don't know really. I think bringing Fehr signifies you are ready for a fight.

I don't think they had plenty of time to negotiate personally because I don't believe the NHL ever would have negotiated in good faith anyway.

For me the NHL always wanted to lock the players out. Hurt them in their pockets, win the PR battle and then get them to sign what they wanted.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
This is very poor timing in regards to the arena as well. Something not many people are commenting on. How can you lobby the city to pay for an arena for a business that has not existed for possibly 2 full years out of the last 8?

How can you justify funding an arena when the tenant who is going to benefit most may not be operating as intended?

Can you imagine a year after a new arena is built on the tax payers dime if there is no hockey for year? Who is going to go down town to 'fund' the renewal of the area. Can you imagine the Edmonton oilers raking in big dollars from concerts and such while not playing?

After what has been going on if I was the city I would demand a clause that reverts any and all arena revenue to the city if the team is not playing.
10 year CBA would help.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
So collectively as fans how do we make a stand or express our displeasure? These guys both owners and players need to be heard by the people who make them rich. More so the players... How do we hit them where it hurts and give them a taste of reality and what the average fan thinks of them? Right now they are delusional.
brainwave: STOP GOING TO GAMES!!!!

Old
12-10-2012, 04:43 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
If cooler heads prevail, they may find some common ground in time to save the 2014-15 season.

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 12-10-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 04:45 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
You are going to boo the players for being locked out? How does that work
No, I think he's going to boo them for being selfish ****ers who tweeted on and on about how they were being treated like cattle and how the NHL had taken everything but their arms and legs and was now asking for those as well.

Quote:
Fehr isn't speaking for the common man. He is speaking for Unions worldwide who have had to deal with Business's new approach to breaking Unions via lockouts.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Arpeggio

I hope they do come back, even if it's for a 30 game season. The Oilers were going to be a young, streaky team this year, and I think a short season gives them the best chance of 1) making the playoffs, or 2) finishing with another top pick. There wouldn't be much pain involved in finishing bottom five in a 30 game season. I wouldn't say no to Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov, etc. Really strong crop this year.

Another thing I just thought of though, a 30 game season, top 16 get in to the playoffs, with one game against each team might actually be kind of cool. Every game would mean so much, it'd be like the playoffs every game.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
No, I think he's going to boo them for being selfish ****ers who tweeted on and on about how they were being treated like cattle and how the NHL had taken everything but their arms and legs and was now asking for those as well.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl...4065--nhl.html

You know what a house slave is? It was the slave that was in the house and they were treated better then the field slaves. Generally the field slaves hated the house slaves because of how better they had it.

The funny thing is both were slaves

Old
12-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
If cooler heads prevail, they may find some common ground in time to save the 2014-15 season.
so dramatic.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:50 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
I hope they don't agree on a deal until July 1st,2015.

My reason.....

Shawn Horcoff's deal is finally over with.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:03 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
brainwave: STOP GOING TO GAMES!!!!
If you actually read what was written before, people were saying that not going to games wouldn't happen....so short of that? Genius?

Old
12-10-2012, 06:08 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
You dont think Ive been reading/participating in the thread?

Maybe we should start a new poll to see what people think right now?

Im guessing you will be wrong. Again.
How am i wrong all i said was there are still many fans who think there will be a season, are you implying that everyone now thinks the lockout will go all year ?
Also i was responding to the guy who essentially called all fans who think there will be a season crazy.
My point is i don't know what's going to happen the next few weeks but neither do you, my opinion is an agreement will be reach some people share that opinion with me, you don't think an agreement will be reach some share that Opinion with you as well

Old
12-10-2012, 06:18 PM
oilersfan11

When will the NHL lockout end?

When do you believe the NHL will come back?

Last edited by oilersfan11: 12-10-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
How am i wrong all i said was there are still many fans who think there will be a season, are you implying that everyone now thinks the lockout will go all year ?
Also i was responding to the guy who essentially called all fans who think there will be a season crazy.
My point is i don't know what's going to happen the next few weeks but neither do you, my opinion is an agreement will be reach some people share that opinion with me, you don't think an agreement will be reach some share that Opinion with you as well
Wait, are you saying people can have different opinions?

Old
12-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
When do you believe the NHL will come back?

When they come to an agreement. Seriously, this is pointless, and has been beaten to death on here.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:30 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
When they come to an agreement.
Okay,when do you believe they will come to an agreement?

Old
12-10-2012, 06:31 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
You know what a house slave is? It was the slave that was in the house and they were treated better then the field slaves. Generally the field slaves hated the house slaves because of how better they had it.

The funny thing is both were slaves
Good grief. There are no slaves in NA, and surely none associated with the NHL.
Its ridiculous hyperbole like this that has turned fan sentiment against the players.

I think the second line of your post is meant to suggest that I "hate" the players because of some sense of envy or whatever.
You couldn't be more wrong. I'm very happy with what I have in life and don't waste time comparing my net worth/income to what other folks have.
I certainly don't "hate" folks better off than myself, but I do wonder from time to time how some of the luckiest people on the planet can be this unappreciative ... hence my little violin playing them a tune.

As for the last line ... I'm nobody's slave cause I live in a country where avoiding the system is still possible.

Last edited by harpoon: 12-10-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The game improved for awhile, the Oilers improved for awhile, 97, and kept me in it. Its not like I ever left but gawd the 90's were depressing with this club. The years since not being any better.

Who knows why I still cheer. Theres a magic question there for a lot of us I suspect.

But I won't go to games until its reasonably priced entertainment and that respects me as a fan.

I'm not sure what you're definition of "reasonably priced" is, but if you're hoping for ticket prices to take a tumble, you may be waiting a long, long time. If price is the issue for you, Golden Bear, Oil King and AJHL games await you. Nothing wrong with that, just that, that is the level of hockey you will get for a cheaper ticket.

Closed Thread