HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Thread #3: The Rollercoaster Continues...

View Poll Results: When will the lockout end?
December 15-31st,2012 6 19.35%
January 2013 13 41.94%
September 2013 6 19.35%
October 2013-December 2013 2 6.45%
January 2014 0 0%
September 2014 0 0%
October 2014-January 2015 0 0%
NHL is gone forever 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Hoogaar23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Talk about entitlement.

Good lord man - what the NHL and players have put you through? Through what? What have you lost?

The Players have lost salary money and the owners have lost revenue money and possibly damaged relationships with advertisers and sponsors.

How exactly have you been hurt by the CBA? It's a total falacy brought up by media in an entitled world. If you wish to watch the NHL when it gets started, then do so. If you don't, then don't.

Don't cry that somehow hockey owes you something.
Good post. I've never understood all the "woe is me" cries I've seen everywhere.

I am personally not buying any NHL stuff this year (and have told my family I don't want to see any NHL stuff in my Christmas presents) and hope that enough people do the same to hopefully - not because I'm ******** with the NHL/PA, but because I think they're being idiots and hope they don't do it again - and maybe a big enough hit to the bottom line if enough people curb their NHL spending might drive the point home - though I doubt it.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So Technically if anything you have gained as you haven't had to spent money on tickets, parking, hot dogs, heroin laced beer, 50-50 etc...

I've been looking at this all wrong.

Thank-you Gary and thank you Mr.Fehr's.
Well pretty much I couldn't care if the lockout keeps going because yeah they are hurting themselves and the fans money isn't going to any of these jack offs.

But getting to the point where you feel that you've been done and will do everything in your will to not support it is a bit far. Afterall professional sports is a priviledge not necessity. While I don't plan on spending a dime on tickets or merchandise I do plan to watch the games when it returns whenever that will be.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:36 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
I work in the service industry near the arenas. You cry entitlement, some people here are trying to make an honest living like myself.

Pot calls kettle black!
LOL, you've lost what 12 game nights of business. What's going to happen when the Oilers aren't playing there anymore?

Now if you said you were an employee of the Oilers who was let go then maybe you have something.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I work in the service industry near the arenas. You cry entitlement, some people here are trying to make an honest living like myself.

Pot calls kettle black!
But this is true, a lot of businesses depend on the NHL playing in order to make money.

However in my opinion I'd say you better re-think your business model if your business is that tied to professional sports.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

Quote:
LOL, you've lost what 12 game nights of business. What's going to happen when the Oilers aren't playing there anymore?

Now if you said you were an employee of the Oilers who was let go then maybe you have something.
Super ignorant comment like this. You should ashamed of yourself.

12 nights of business is quite significant for people scraping by like myself.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
But this is true, a lot of businesses depend on the NHL playing in order to make money.

However in my opinion I'd say you better re-think your business model if your business is that tied to professional sports.
Honestly, I'm working here to pay for school so I can get a better job in the future. Unfortunately, for a student with loads of debt and living close to welfare, I pretty much have to scrap every penny just to pay the bill and put food on the table as well as pay my tuition.

Ignorant posters like joestevens and Master Lok don't seem to understand. Maybe if they were put in my shoes, they'll understand what I'm going through.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:40 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Well pretty much I couldn't care if the lockout keeps going because yeah they are hurting themselves and the fans money isn't going to any of these jack offs.

But getting to the point where you feel that you've been done and will do everything in your will to not support it is a bit far. Afterall professional sports is a priviledge not necessity. While I don't plan on spending a dime on tickets or merchandise I do plan to watch the games when it returns whenever that will be.
Thing is I rarely spend all that much money on the NHL anyway at this time of year.
I hunt from mid-sept to end of Nov

go see my buddy in Sask for 4-7 days in October every year

Nov and Dec is full of x-mas parties and such.

It's really going to be in the new year when I would start missing out, especially considering there is NFL on 3 times a week this year.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:42 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Honestly, I'm working here to pay for school so I can get a better job in the future. Unfortunately, for a student with loads of debt and living close to welfare, I pretty much have to scrap every penny just to pay the bill and put food on the table as well as pay my tuition.

Ignorant posters like joestevens and Master Lok don't seem to understand. Maybe if they were put in my shoes, they'll understand what I'm going through.
There are hundreds of help wanted signs throughout Edmonton, if business is that bad then find a new job.

You are making it sound like you are from the third world or something, yet instead of working to scrap by in life you are posting on a hockey forum making stuff up.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

Whoa whoa man just calm down a touch. A lot of us have all been students, I'm sure you'll make it out just fine.

Like maybe seek out a service industry job that people frequent because of the great food menu or because of the great selection of drinks they have. Rather than the places that turn a profit because they ahve the best game day specials on Molson products.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
There are hundreds of help wanted signs throughout Edmonton, if business is that bad then find a new job.

You are making it sound like you are from the third world or something, yet instead of working to scrap by in life you are posting on a hockey forum making stuff up.
FYI, he's from TO.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

Quote:

Again, I'm from Toronto...do you know how to read or what?

And I'm not exaggerating. People are hurting. Stop trying to spin it. Have some sympathy for those who are actually suffering financially.

Wait what am I saying, you're ignorant...hard to reason with ignorant people.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:46 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
FYI, he's from TO.
How the hell do you live in TO and cheer for the Seahawks?

Old
12-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

Quote:
Whoa whoa man just calm down a touch. A lot of us have all been students, I'm sure you'll make it out just fine.

Like maybe seek out a service industry job that people frequent because of the great food menu or because of the great selection of drinks they have. Rather than the places that turn a profit because they ahve the best game day specials on Molson products.
I'm definitely looking at other jobs. But my point is, this lockout was pointless pissing match and it never should've come to that.

Fans, arena workers, bar workers, the guy selling hot dogs, and the retailers all suffered. I live in TO and the Raptors were locked out last year and that also had a bit of a toll. Its like two straight years of lockouts and lost opportunities to make money.

I'm on nobodies side. Not a players supporter nor an owners supporter. I'm on the side of the little people that are trying to make an honest living.

It's too bad decisions made by the very rich has a trickle down effect that can impact those who are just scraping by.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
How the hell do you live in TO and cheer for the Seahawks?
I'm going to guess that they are originally from out west or their parents were.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

What does me being a Seahawks fan in TO have anything to do with what were just talking about?

All I want is an apology from joestevens for his ignorant comments. It just infuriates me that he has shown no sympathy for people like me.

Apologize and we'll move on, ok?

Old
12-05-2012, 04:53 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I'm definitely looking at other jobs. But my point is, this lockout was pointless pissing match and it never should've come to that.

Fans, arena workers, bar workers, the guy selling hot dogs, and the retailers all suffered. I live in TO and the Raptors were locked out last year and that also had a bit of a toll. Its like two straight years of lockouts and lost opportunities to make money.

I'm on nobodies side. Not a players supporter nor an owners supporter. I'm on the side of the little people that are trying to make an honest living.

It's too bad decisions made by the very rich has a trickle down effect that can impact those who are just scraping by.
Well if enough people feel the way you do then start a boycott. Instead of complaining on an Oiler's forum go on the Toronto forum and start one. Even Richard Cloutier made an attempt to start some sort of boycott

Old
12-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

Quote:
I'm going to guess that they are originally from out west or their parents were.
Born and raised in Edmonton, moved to TO five years ago.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:55 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
What does me being a Seahawks fan in TO have anything to do with what were just talking about?

All I want is an apology from joestevens for his ignorant comments. It just infuriates me that he has shown no sympathy for people like me.

I'm not apologizing, if you are that hard up I'll get you a job in May that pays 25 bucks a hour with 60 hour weeks.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
supert

Quote:
Again, I'm from Toronto...do you know how to read or what?

And I'm not exaggerating. People are hurting. Stop trying to spin it. Have some sympathy for those who are actually suffering financially.

Wait what am I saying, you're ignorant...hard to reason with ignorant people.
Why , I was in a car accident and the guy in Calgary took off a hit and run . 6 years ago . I still have trouble moving around . I still make money and get by just fine . Plus i can not work . I buy and sell on line and make money to take care of me and my daughter (single father ) . Pick yourself up and do something about it . I did plus i am in pain ever single day . I refuse to take the medication they give me because it makes me high and would keep me from doing what i need to . Mind over matter . Get up and do something about it .

Old
12-05-2012, 05:11 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Talk about entitlement.

Good lord man - what the NHL and players have put you through? Through what? What have you lost?

The Players have lost salary money and the owners have lost revenue money and possibly damaged relationships with advertisers and sponsors.

How exactly have you been hurt by the CBA? It's a total falacy brought up by media in an entitled world. If you wish to watch the NHL when it gets started, then do so. If you don't, then don't.

Don't cry that somehow hockey owes you something.
You know it is a interesting debate really. I tend to think the NHL does owe the fans. If you are a loyal customer of a resteraunt and it closes due to a union dispute with its employees. Don't you think you have a right to say, hey what about me? I think there is a sense of entitlement that is valid on behalf of the fans. We are the only reason hockey exists. We are the only reason grown men can make money playing and owning hockey teams. I think in some ways they do owe us.

That being said, I do agree partly with your statement as well. Which is why I am not going to begrudge them all that much. I will be back watching games.

ps. just in regards to the anology of the resteraunt. I just mean the customer should be entitled to some thought. The workers and owner of the resteraunt should go out of their way to thank the customer ect... and the customer does have the right to say, well make it worth my while to not take my business elsewhere. I guess that is my stance more than anything. Fans can't be personally upset, but they can say, hey... now I want something to not go and watch football instead.

Last edited by okgooil: 12-05-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old
12-05-2012, 05:15 PM
fysloc

I'm going to have to agree that its not necessarily the fans that are hurting, but people who work in bars and service industry. Fans didn't really lose anything except entertainment, which has subjective value, where as employees of bars and business owners that make a large sum of their business on gamedays and holidays are hurting when half of their profitable days are gone.

In addition, its not as easy as saying "Oh, this lockout is cutting into my paycheck, I'll just get a new job next week in a industry less dependent on sports." Economic climate and employer thinking has changed such that is not so easy to switch jobs and be on your way to paying bills again. If your a university student looking for a job, most of your options are limited to service industry jobs in restaurants and the types. Retail jobs are difficult to come by now, while service industry is more of a come and go.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:19 PM
supert

Quote:

Again why ? He does not have to have sympathy for you . I do not want or expect anyone to have sympathy for me . I am consider disable because of a hit and run . I Lost a 120.000.00 a year job that i can not return to ... ever ! I still live good , buying and selling . Bought a new SUV , my daughter a new 3 d tv for her room this week . Get off your ass and make something happen . I made it on my own ,never ask for sympathy . Buying a membership this week to a gym and i will be playing hockey again ,because i do not want to lay down and wait for sympathy

Old
12-05-2012, 05:22 PM
dnicks17

Come on, guys.

Let's keep this civil.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:24 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
You know it is a interesting debate really. I tend to think the NHL does owe the fans. If you are a loyal customer of a resteraunt and it closes due to a union dispute with its employees. Don't you think you have a right to say, hey what about me? I think there is a sense of entitlement that is valid on behalf of the fans. We are the only reason hockey exists. We are the only reason grown men can make money playing and owning hockey teams. I think in some ways they do owe us.

That being said, I do agree partly with your statement as well. Which is why I am not going to begrudge them all that much. I will be back watching games.

ps. just in regards to the anology of the resteraunt. I just mean the customer should be entitled to some thought. The workers and owner of the resteraunt should go out of their way to thank the customer ect... and the customer does have the right to say, well make it worth my while to not take my business elsewhere. I guess that is my stance more than anything. Fans can't be personally upset, but they can say, hey... now I want something to not go and watch football instead.
Hey what about other worker when GMC or Ford workers goes on strike . Do they own workers that make parts for them ? No if you choose to have your business base around what other business are doing then you are **** out of luck . Those business could go broke ,but i guess they would still have to be responsible

Old
12-05-2012, 05:27 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Come on, guys.

Let's keep this civil.
Agree we are getting off track . Me as well I hate when people ask for sympathy . I have more reason then most to ask for it and i never would ask or want it

Closed Thread