HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Game of Thrones - Season 3 ***NO BOOK SPOILERS***

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2013, 10:48 AM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
I think Season 3 so far has been great. What about you guys?
Yes, much better than the beginning of 2, imo.

Hated that they showed Stannis and Mel in the 1st episode last season (it was 1st episode, right? can't remember which one exactly).

While all readers assumed (we knew) this relationship was happening (shadow baby and just general, obvious hints) I felt it really incorrectly introduced his character to the audience. He is a stern, rigid, formal man, and in our first episode with him, it shows him sleeping with someone other than his wife. Didn't care for that decision one bit.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Letdown for me... Expectations too high? Maybe... After such an incredible 1st season its all downhill now, imo.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Letdown for me... Expectations too high? Maybe... After such an incredible 1st season its all downhill now, imo.
Really? What has been bad for you? I agree parts of Season 2 were slow but I think there was some great dialogue and tense moments. Season 3 has been great for me so far, personally because I'm enjoying the build up.

04-14-2013, 11:45 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

WHY IS IT SUNDAY ALREADY!?

This season is going too fast

Old
04-14-2013, 01:28 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I agree. The latest seasons are still very good, but season one pretty much knocked it out of the park, IMO. It was far more coherent, focussed, thematically poignant, memorable, and had little to no missteps.

Every episode felt like an experience and had the perfect exclamation mark to punctuate it before the credits hit, I felt.

These other seasons feel like normal get-you-hooked fun, cliff-hanger-type dramas in comparison, but with a bigger scope.

It's not a massive enough dropoff that anyone should complain or get upset about it, but the big dip is certainly there, IMO.
Yeah while the books get better as you progress from 1-3, for the purpose of a HBO style TV adaption the first book I'd say was a near perfect fit, but following the series after that the round peg in a square hole keeps getting bigger and bigger.

And while everyone considers the 3rd book to be the best, so therefore we're hyping the 3rd season accordingly, let's not forget that we're only getting about 2/3rds of the book here. By the time it's all and you've left enough time for the dust to settle I wouldn't be surprised if the unwashed masses consider season 2 to be better.

That said season 4 should get off to a roaring start, though likely won't be able to keep it up.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:33 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
And all I gotta say about Sansa is that yes she's been young and stupid, but rather than using her youth to forgive her (which you can if you want) I'll say it means there's room for her to grow into something more respectable. Unlike say Ned or Cat who are old and set in their ways.

I mean everyone loves Arya (myself included!) but she wasn't looking all that bright at the end of the last episode, acting tough then getting the sword knocked out of her hand.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:58 PM
TheBeastCoast

does anyone know a site showing got tonight? if there is a om would be wonderful

Old
04-14-2013, 04:08 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Quote:
Pretty disappointing they ended season 2 with the big cliffhanger of the White Walkers attacking... only for it to happen offscreen.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselBuiltMyHotrod View Post
Pretty disappointing they ended season 2 with the big cliffhanger of the White Walkers attacking... only for it to happen offscreen.
Ah yes! That made me mad. The book describes the battle pretty well too iirc. That would have been a fine way to start the season.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:16 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fiend View Post
Ah yes! That made me mad. The book describes the battle pretty well too iirc. That would have been a fine way to start the season.
Yeah that was a ****ing slap to the face. You see 1000 wights marching to the Nw and they do it off screen.

Kind of like the battle with Tyrion in the vanguard......and at the start of the battle he's knocked out and wakes up as soon as it ends I know they got a budget but come on.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Habsfan22100

They had enough trouble getting the money to make Blackwater. You can't expect them to show us all these battles on a TV budget.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:04 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan22100 View Post
They had enough trouble getting the money to make Blackwater. You can't expect them to show us all these battles on a TV budget.
All these battles? The ONLY battle they have shown was Blackwater.

Whispering Wood was a joke, essentially the most important Stark Victory so far where they relieve Riverrun and capture Jaime and all they show is them riding back.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:12 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Quote:
Then don't make you're big cliffhanger an impending battle.

If they can't afford small battles now, how are they going to afford giant dragon fights in the future?

Old
04-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Habsfan22100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post

Whispering Wood was a joke, essentially the most important Stark Victory so far where they relieve Riverrun and capture Jaime and all they show is them riding back.
I may not have worded that right, but I was referring to the battles they haven't shown us...

Old
04-14-2013, 06:24 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Well hey, maybe you should lend them a few million dollars.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
...or convince the millions who pirate the show to start paying for it.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:59 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
Thing is, this battle isn't some "huge siege" like Blackwater...you really only need like 20 is people holding a line then retreating....

Old
04-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post

Have you read the books? That's pretty much exactly how it happens in the books too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fiend View Post
I don't remember the battle being that great in terms of action. It was mostly just Sam trying to get the ravens off and Chett pissing himself.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Shareefruck

*shrugs* I don't see any difference in quality between seasons 2 and 3 so far, personally.

I think if the scope was too big to pull off, they should have probably slowed it down. But instead so much was happening in season 2, and alot of it felt either like filler or uninteresting despite being important to moving things along.

Season 1 did not feel like an adaptation at all.

That said, I don't mind the lack of battles people seem to be complaining about. Although the cliffhanger thing is a little annoying, I thought the Rob victory and the Tyrion getting knocked out for the battle thing was perfectly fine and worked really well.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
*shrugs* I don't see any difference in quality between seasons 2 and 3 so far, personally.

I think if the scope was too big to pull off, they should have probably slowed it down. But instead so much was happening in season 2, and alot of it felt either like filler or uninteresting despite being important to moving things along.

Season 1 did not feel like an adaptation at all.

That said, I don't mind the lack of battles people seem to be complaining about. Although the cliffhanger thing is a little annoying, I thought the Rob victory and the Tyrion getting knocked out for the battle thing was perfectly fine and worked really well.
Agreed. And you mention how it already seems like the scope is too big and they are pressed for time, imagine if they spent a larger portion of their time and money on action scenes that don't advance the plot any more. A lor of people have been tricked into thinking that this is HBO's version of LOTR but its more a political drama in a medieval type setting. What was Tywin's quote about wars being won with words and not swords?

Old
04-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Agreed. And you mention how it already seems like the scope is too big and they are pressed for time, imagine if they spent a larger portion of their time and money on action scenes that don't advance the plot any more. A lor of people have been tricked into thinking that this is HBO's version of LOTR but its more a political drama in a medieval type setting. What was Tywin's quote about wars being won with words and not swords?
I tend to enjoy watching one-on-one battles over the massive epic war-scenes where people just scream, run at each other, and proceed to get sliced and blown up ad-nauseum for long periods of time anyways. Blackwater was great because of the way the stakes and strategies were built up. One of those is more than enough.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
I may not have worded that right, but I was referring to the battles they haven't shown us...
No, you worded it correctly

Old
04-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
...or convince the millions who pirate the show to start paying for it.
From abroad? E.g. in Finland the show is available both on a pay tv at one day delay and on free tv about a year later. HBO wouldn't get any money from me either if I were to pay for MTV3 (ewwww....) or wait a year for YLE to show it.

Maybe they should get a sponsor for each episode, "this episode is brought to you in association with Clearasil".

Old
04-14-2013, 08:18 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Maybe they should get a sponsor for each episode, "this episode is brought to you in association with Clearasil".
This episode is sponsored by Hostess® Lemoncakes.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:35 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselBuiltMyHotrod View Post
This episode is sponsored by Hostess® Lemoncakes.
How many beheadings until we get a free box?

Closed Thread