HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 10:48 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Brother View Post
I've been trying to think who would make a good partner for Trouba if I could have any young prospect out there. I was thinking Duncan Seimens would be fantastic. Another might be Erik Gudbrandson but I doubt that's even in the land of reality.

It would give me great comfort in the coming years when we have to face hall-rnh-yak to know there was a big tough d pairing to pound them to smithereens.
Smid

Old
01-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Bob E

Quote:
I've been trying to think who would make a good partner for Trouba if I could have any young prospect out there. I was thinking Duncan Seimens would be fantastic. Another might be Erik Gudbrandson but I doubt that's even in the land of reality.

It would give me great comfort in the coming years when we have to face hall-rnh-yak to know there was a big tough d pairing to pound them to smithereens.
As truck said, Smid would work well.

I'm also thinking maybe a good veteran guy like Robyn Regehr, a UFA this summer, might help a young kid learn the nuances more than someone like Smid who is still developing his game. Regehr is slowing down and getting a bit long in the tooth, but he might come reasonable on a two or three year contract to bridge the gap until a drafted player is ready.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Lowry has zero points with 6 minutes left. Can he keep the streak rolling?

EDIT

Haha! 2nd assist on and empty netter with 8 seconds left.
the kid is a points machine.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:53 PM
scelaton

Quote:

Detroit is looking for a veteran D/leader now, to stabilize their defence, with the loss of Lidstrom. The Jets are, arguably, a couple of years from making a serious run.
I would love to trade Hainsey and Postma for Brandon Smith (who they list as a 3rd pairing defenseman) and Xavier Ouellet.
I know, I know, we need Hainsey, but just imagine what those two would bring in a couple of years.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:55 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Garbage hit on Yuen, looked pretty nasty but he seems okay.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Olsen scores for the Rockets.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:37 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
Olsen scores for the Rockets.
That gives the Jets 4 CHL prospects with 20 ir more goals. Lowry, Scheifele, Kosmachuk and Olsen.

EDIT

On that note:

Olsen has all but caught up to Kosmachuk statistically.

Olsen 20G and 19A in 39 games
Kossy 21G and 19A in 41 games

Who would have thunk it a month ago.

Last edited by truck: 01-12-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old
01-12-2013, 01:23 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
Detroit is looking for a veteran D/leader now, to stabilize their defence, with the loss of Lidstrom. The Jets are, arguably, a couple of years from making a serious run.
I would love to trade Hainsey and Postma for Brandon Smith (who they list as a 3rd pairing defenseman) and Xavier Ouellet.
I know, I know, we need Hainsey, but just imagine what those two would bring in a couple of years.
I don't see Detroit ever giving up Xavier Ouellet, much less for Hainsey and Postma. The kid will be a stalwart defenseman in the NHL one day, and Detroit is one of the best defensive prospect factories in the NHL.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:03 AM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
For your viewing pleasure.

01-12-2013, 02:41 AM
DespoticNewt

SCAAAAAAAAAAAGH! I'm going to miss the Kelowna PBP announcer when Olsen leaves the team.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:54 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
SCAAAAAAAAAAAGH! I'm going to miss the Kelowna PBP announcer when Olsen leaves the team.
Maybe we'll draft Madison Bowey in the second round... you know... 'cos we want more RH smooth skating Dmen who likes to jump into the play...

6'1/200 41GP 9G 11A 20PTS +28

Someone compared him to MDZ...

Old
01-12-2013, 05:51 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 4785
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Maybe we'll draft Madison Bowey in the second round... you know... 'cos we want more RH smooth skating Dmen who likes to jump into the play...

6'1/200 41GP 9G 11A 20PTS +28

Someone compared him to MDZ...
He has a serious problem with long passes though. Stretch ice passes to give forwards space are a very serious concern for him.

I've said this for awhile, but he always looks great in a zone. In the defensive zone he's solid and in the offensive zone he contributes. It's his transition game from the D to the O that needs some work IMO.

Last edited by Sweech: 01-12-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 2043
Scheifele hoping to take off in Winnipeg:
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/201...ff-in-winnipeg

Old
01-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
i think you may be considerably undervaluing both Smith and Ouellet, it would take one of our big 3 d to land those two- smith's got quite the hype machine behind him right now and oullet's looking pretty solid as well.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:37 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
i think you may be considerably undervaluing both Smith and Ouellet, it would take one of our big 3 d to land those two- smith's got quite the hype machine behind him right now and oullet's looking pretty solid as well.
Yeah, you're probably right. I considered suggesting...someone other than Hainsey as trade bait...but I couldn't take the abuse that would follow.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:26 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Yeah, you're probably right. I considered suggesting...someone other than Hainsey as trade bait...but I couldn't take the abuse that would follow.
I got a possible one... NJD are kind of like us where they have a bit of a back up of handedness defensemen but they are on the otherside... maybe we can convince them to give up one for Redmond or Postma... and use a pick if one side of the value needs to be raised

Jon Merrill
(Trouba's new D-partner at Michigan who just got back from an injury suffered in the pre-season)
Quote:
2011-12 Ranking: 1st
2010-11 Ranking: 2nd
Date of birth: 02/03/1992
Height: 6'3''
Weight: 206
Shoots: Left
Statistics: 19 GP, 2 G, 11 P (University of Michigan-CCHA)

Acquired: Second round, 38th overall in 2010 by New Jersey
The Good: Merrill has a high-end hockey brain at both ends. He has such a high panic threshold and looks at times like he's sleeping standing up from the effortless way he makes plays. Merrill has skill and great vision, as he can make good outlets, run a power play, and see all the options on the ice. He's equally smart defensively, as he's always in position, closes gaps well, knocks pucks away from forwards with an active stick, and generally doesn't lose his check.

The Bad: Merrill's skating is okay, but he could be a little quicker.

Projection: He could be a top pairing defenseman, although with a fair amount of uncertainty surrounding him.
Eric Gelinas
Quote:
2011-12 Ranking: 2nd
2010-11 Ranking: 5th
Date of birth: 05/08/1991
Height: 6'4''
Weight: 206
Statistics: 75 GP, 16 G, 37 P (Albany-AHL)
Acquired: Second round, 54th overall in 2009 by New Jersey

The Good: Gelinas is a toolsy defenseman with size and offensive ability. He was actually seven points removed from tying his AHL team's scoring leader. He's an above-average, maybe even a plus skater with really good four-way movements. Gelinas has good hands and can move the puck pretty well. He's certainly an offensive defenseman between those elements, his ability to jump into the rush with his speed, and a big shot from the point.

The Bad: Gelinas could play the body a little more. His decisions aren't always the best as his defensive reads still need improving and he can try to do too much offensively. He needs to continue putting on strength as well.

Projection: He could be a good second pairing defenseman.

Alexander Urbom
Quote:
2011-12 Ranking: 3rd
2010-11 Ranking: 3rd
Date of birth: 12/20/1990
Height: 6'4''
Weight: 215
Statistics: 50 GP, 2 G, 12 P (Albany-AHL)
Acquired: Third round, 73rd overall in 2009 by New Jersey

The Good: Urbom had a very solid season in the AHL, showing significant defensive value, and he was an AHL All-Star. Urbom features an elite physical game due to his size, strength, and how often he plays the body on opposing forwards. He's a mobile player who skates at an above-average level and well above-average for his size. He's a smart and makes good defensive reads in terms of positioning and decisions. Urbom doesn't panic with the puck and can make a good first pass.

The Bad: Urbom's offensive ceiling is limited as he's not really a puck skills player and his offensive hockey sense isn't all that desirable.

Projection: He could be a second pairing defenseman.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:39 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
I got a possible one... NJD are kind of like us where they have a bit of a back up of handedness defensemen but they are on the otherside... maybe we can convince them to give up one for Redmond or Postma... and use a pick if one side of the value needs to be raised

Jon Merrill
(Trouba's new D-partner at Michigan who just got back from an injury suffered in the pre-season)

Eric Gelinas

Alexander Urbom
I haven't watched him, but Eric Gelinas sounds exactly like a left handed Postma in that description.

I can't see Merrill being on the table and I have heard he can be a bit of a mess in his own end.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Merrill also has a few character concerns which TNSE would definitely look into.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Hansen Brother

I was wondering if it would make any sense to draft Darnell Nurse if we are drafting in that 8-15 range. I haven't seen him play but he sounds like a TNSE kind of guy from everything I read; big, North American, athletic bloodlines.

I really thought our biggest short coming last year was a dynamite shut down pairing, and with both Bogosian and Trouba looking like they should be really good on the right I'm obsessed with finding a young, shutdown, left handed partner for one of them.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Bob E

Quote:
I was wondering if it would make any sense to draft Darnell Nurse if we are drafting in that 8-15 range. I haven't seen him play but he sounds like a TNSE kind of guy from everything I read; big, North American, athletic bloodlines.

I really thought our biggest short coming last year was a dynamite shut down pairing, and with both Bogosian and Trouba looking like they should be really good on the right I'm obsessed with finding a young, shutdown, left handed partner for one of them.
I hear ya.

Though i'm thinking we could get that type of player in the 2nd round, and use the 1st rd pick on a forward with offensive potential.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:

I think in the 8-15 range there will be better players available. I'd take a guy like Zadorov over Nurse for example.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Hansen Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I think in the 8-15 range there will be better players available. I'd take a guy like Zadorov over Nurse for example.
I know you're down on Nurse and I was wondering why. From following the OHL a bit I understand that whole team was struggling. Could you elaborate for me?

Maybe this should be in the draft thread. Asked more or less the same question there.

Last edited by Hansen Brother: 01-12-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Not sure if appropriate thread.
Old
01-12-2013, 07:12 PM
jetkarma

Quote:

Jon Merrill

Eric Gelinas

Alexander Urbom
Could very well be , Bobby Mac mentioned that Cheveldayoff has a bunch of picks that he may use to address an issue. I can see the Jets making a trade , I sense the organization feels you get better anytime you can , move on opportunities.

We have assets with draft picks , the salary cap , CBA and players . I believe the Jets are on top of any opportunity and get the feeling we will be assertive when needed. Mark Chipman is a hockey savvy owner , he knows the game and he knows how to build , IMO ownership and management are totally insync .

What do you think it would take to get Merrill ?

Old
01-12-2013, 07:16 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Could very well be , Bobby Mac mentioned that Cheveldayoff has a bunch of picks that he may use to address an issue. I can see the Jets making a trade , I sense the organization feels you get better anytime you can , move on opportunities.

We have assets with draft picks , the salary cap , CBA and players . I believe the Jets are on top of any opportunity and get the feeling we will be assertive when needed. Mark Chipman is a hockey savvy owner , he knows the game and he knows how to build , IMO ownership and management are totally insync .

What do you think it would take to get Merrill ?
Never ask me that Assessing value and CBA rules are my hugest weakness when it comes to hockey hahaha
Dunno... he's kind of like their Trouba, but as Sweech says he has been known for attitude problems (was once suspended last year for "off-ice issues")

Old
01-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
I know you're down on Nurse and I was wondering why. From following the OHL a bit I understand that whole team was struggling. Could you elaborate for me?
I'm not super down on him, I just don't think I'm as high on him as others. I don't really take the teams' play into consideration. I just see him as a low first/high second pick. He's a safe pick to me, I haven't seen enough projectable tools from him that suggest he'll develop anything dynamic and will likely be a lower pairing D in my mind. I think he has a solid chanced of making it, I just don't see the upside.

Plus there's a lot of other D to choose from in the draft that show much more upside in my opinion.

I am officially down on Josh Morrissey though. I'd take Nurse over him.

Closed Thread