HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 09:38 AM
jetkarma

vCash: 500
IIRC this is the second 2-1 game in the last short while where Lowry scored and was the number one star and both goalies were the other stars.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Adam Lowry is going to pot 40+ on the season in the WHL this year. This forces the Jets to give him a very close look next season with the big team right out of camp. As long as his wheels can prove sufficient at the next level then they need to give this kid a fair shot to stick in the NHL right off the hop. He is so well-rounded, so smart. That is because he was raised by an NHL player in an NHL environment in his formative years. His father was a super smart defensive player, so smart that he is now a head coach in junior. Adam was raised by the man and probably doesn't need to learn the ins and outs of being a pro at the AHL level as such. He is pretty much ready to plug right in and play - as long as the conditioning and wheels are there this coming fall.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:13 AM
jetkarma

Depending on how the WHL playoffs go , I would not be surprised to see Lowry get some games in with the Jets this year.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:11 AM
ps241
It's closing time.

vCash: 50
We might need to temper our expectationn a bit with Adam. We are all hoping for him but the next level AHL or NHL is a big jump. I agree his ability to transition will be enhanced due his IQ and some of the intangibles mentioned but we need to see how he looks playing against men.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:29 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
We might need to temper our expectationn a bit with Adam. We are all hoping for him but the next level AHL or NHL is a big jump. I agree his ability to transition will be enhanced due his IQ and some of the intangibles mentioned but we need to see how he looks playing against men.
That is why I can see and would have him play some games with the Jets if the playoff run for SC meshes with the schedule.

It isn't promising a spot or stating it is permanent , but a taste to go into the summer with , first hand experience to work from. This is presuming the Jets are looking up once again at playoff teams above them and aren't going to make the cut. I see no detriment to having Lowry get his feet wet and again , nothing for the future is promised by this. He may indeed start next year on the Rock , I fully expect that , maybe half a season , maybe even 2 full ones , but our situation and his may warrant a call up.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:30 AM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Adam Lowry is going to pot 40+ on the season in the WHL this year. This forces the Jets to give him a very close look next season with the big team right out of camp. As long as his wheels can prove sufficient at the next level then they need to give this kid a fair shot to stick in the NHL right off the hop. He is so well-rounded, so smart. That is because he was raised by an NHL player in an NHL environment in his formative years. His father was a super smart defensive player, so smart that he is now a head coach in junior. Adam was raised by the man and probably doesn't need to learn the ins and outs of being a pro at the AHL level as such. He is pretty much ready to plug right in and play - as long as the conditioning and wheels are there this coming fall.
Completely understand your enthusiasm, but...
...looking back 3 years, there is not a single player drafted in the 3rd Round who is yet playing in the NHL.
Also, if there is one thing we have learned from Atlanta's MO, it is not to rush our prospects.
Lowry will hopefully be a great addition to the Ice caps next year.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
Completely understand your enthusiasm, but...
...looking back 3 years, there is not a single player drafted in the 3rd Round who is yet playing in the NHL.
Also, if there is one thing we have learned from Atlanta's MO, it is not to rush our prospects.
Lowry will hopefully be a great addition to the Ice caps next year.
Completely understand your conservatism, but, blanket statements about others do not apply to individual cases. Lowry's developmental curve has been exponential this season. He is not playing at the level he was when he was drafted. You might wish to look into the history of players like Brad Richards for example prior to writing off the early chances of picks not taken in the first round.

[mod] I didn't suggest he simply be granted a spot but rather that his performance this season dictates that he be given a fair shot at one in camp... if his skills can keep up at the next level. His background does not necessitate time spent in the AHL if the skills are there in camp; that was kind of the point. The Jets also have a ton of expiring UFA contracts and a poor forward group; there will be spots open if the Jets decide to change the core and culture of the group going forward. His play this fall will possibly dictate the team that he plays for in other words. There isn't a sole developmental template that applies to all players - yet you seem more than willing to apply one for some reason.

Last edited by Jet: 02-16-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: not necessary
Old
02-16-2013, 12:38 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Completely understand your conservatism, but, blanket statements about others do not apply to individual cases. Lowry's developmental curve has been exponential this season. He is not playing at the level he was when he was drafted. You might wish to look into the history of players like Brad Richards for example prior to writing off the early chances of picks not taken in the first round.

[mod] I didn't suggest he simply be granted a spot but rather that his performance this season dictates that he be given a fair shot at one in camp... if his skills can keep up at the next level. His background does not necessitate time spent in the AHL if the skills are there in camp; that was kind of the point. The Jets also have a ton of expiring UFA contracts and a poor forward group; there will be spots open if the Jets decide to change the core and culture of the group going forward. His play this fall will possibly dictate the team that he plays for in other words. There isn't a sole developmental template that applies to all players - yet you seem more than willing to apply one for some reason.
[mod]

The reason I did respond in the end is that I felt it was worth emphasizing that we keep our expectations modest and be patient with both our team and our prospects, or risk being sorely disappointed.
That is all.

Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 02-16-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: qep
Old
02-16-2013, 04:00 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Back in TO for a week - taking the wife to see the Colts / Battalion game tomorrow. Should be a good one.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:49 PM
HannuJ

vCash: 233
the other reality check:
how many rookie forwards will the Jets have next year?
i can see 1, but 2? not unless they move some guys out to make room for a rookie.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:57 PM
scelaton

OT-- Every time I look at how Lowry is doing, I check on Wpg's own Brendan Leipsic, who is now tearing up the WHL. I have great memories of him as a kid, playing 3 on 3 hockey with my son. Aside from his evident skill, what I remember most was that grin from ear to ear whenever he was on the ice. He just loved the game and it's great to see him doing so well despite his diminutive size.

Old
02-16-2013, 06:23 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Back in TO for a week - taking the wife to see the Colts / Battalion game tomorrow. Should be a good one.
That's almost like buying your kid sister a catchers mitt for her birthday ... there had better be dinner included

Old
02-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Kane9Swag

What does everyone think of Edward Pasquale? Do you think he could be better and more consistent than Pavs?

Old
02-16-2013, 07:07 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane9Swag View Post
What does everyone think of Edward Pasquale? Do you think he could be better and more consistent than Pavs?
He's not stealing any games in the A this year like he did last year. It's really hard to project a goalie who hasn't played in the NHL and is still technically a rookie at the pro level.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:55 PM
JetsHomer

Scheifele with two primary assists tonight. Barrie won 3-0. Mark assisted on the first two goals and was on the ice when Barrie scored the third en goal.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:03 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane9Swag View Post
He is like the anti Pav.

Most consider his strengths to be positioning and his glove hand.

If he continues to develop I think he has a good shot at scratching the NHL. Upside is hard to guess.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:04 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Scheifele with two primary assists tonight. Barrie won 3-0. Mark assisted on the first two goals and was on the ice when Barrie scored the third en goal.
Five straight multi point nights since returning.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:04 PM
DespoticNewt

I'm hoping that Mark can lead his team deep into the playoffs. High level competition that isn't the NHL is a godsend at this point.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:18 PM
passnthru

Kasdorf with 2 wins this weekend. 5-1 last nite & 4-1 tonight. Stopped 26 shots tonight. SV% .942 & 10:2:2 record. Seems to be a real difference maker for a team that was considered pretty much a noncontender from the start of the season.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:21 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Five straight multi point nights since returning.
14pts in 5 games. He's now moved up to 18th in scoring - he was sitting around 30th when he went back after missing all that time.

PPG pace is now at 1.80. Only Galchenyuk has a better PPG, @ 1.85.

Go Scheif!

Old
02-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Maybe now we can finally put to bed the silly notion that Schiefele can't dominate in the OHL as the reason not to keep him up in the NHL. He is 2nd (hopefully soon to be 1st) in scoring pace in the entire league, all while working on his skating and defensive play.

Sorry, I'm still a little angry that he never got an honest look.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:43 AM
cneely

I like the way the future looks for this crew. We have youngsters on the team with high end potential in Burmi, Kane, Bogosian and a solid group of youngsters in Schief, Lowry and Trouba.

That's the makings of a pretty solid young core.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:48 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
I like the way the future looks for this crew. We have youngsters on the team with high end potential in Burmi, Kane, Bogosian and a solid group of youngsters in Schief, Lowry and Trouba.

That's the makings of a pretty solid young core.
The way things are starting to shape up this year, we will get to add a pretty big piece with a high pick this draft. Anything in the top 5 likely gives us another core player moving forward.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
The way things are starting to shape up this year, we will get to add a pretty big piece with a high pick this draft. Anything in the top 5 likely gives us another core player moving forward.
I think anything top 10 looks like a core player. Likely even deeper.

Bogosian, Kane, Burmistrov, Scheifele, Trouba and XXXXX is a very decent run of picks that should form the core of a perennial playoff team.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:23 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
I think anything top 10 looks like a core player. Likely even deeper.

Bogosian, Kane, Burmistrov, Scheifele, Trouba and XXXXX is a very decent run of picks that should form the core of a perennial playoff team.
At one point last week CBJ was sitting with 3 picks inside the top 12. That won't continue, but Wow.

I still have no idea where the Jets will finish. They aren't winning, but they aren't getting whooped.

Closed Thread