HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The oilers! A defensemen! And the 2013 draft!

Old
12-06-2012, 01:41 PM
EdmOil83

vCash: 500
The oilers! A defensemen! And the 2013 draft!

The only positive that I can take out of the lockout is that the oilers will get another high draft pick and not have to suck again, putting the fate of other players/ personal at risk, in order to do so. I think the general consensus is that oilers should have a dman this time since we’ve taken forwards with all of our other high picks. The question is who do you want them to take. One of the big problems the oil had last year was not being able to make that clutch first pass out of their own zone to get the forwards going, this was undoubtedly a big reason for a lack of offense last year, and good evidence for how defense can boost offense. I really don’t think the oilers need an offensive defensemen, but a d-man who can move the puck effectively and is able to make that first pass out of the zone is the oilers might be after. I however think a solid defensive d-man is always good, someone who is capable of shutting down offensive rushes from the other team and preferably someone big and physical, it is always fun to watch someone on your team throw a big hit and if the oil could get a guy who is extremely capable in shutdown defense and it also an intimidating presence on the ice who would protect the likes of Hall/ Nugent-Hopkins while also playing an appreciated role on defense that would be incredibly in my opinion. Shutdown defense is very likely to take you far in the playoffs, Boston beat Vancouver by shutting down their offense, Brent Seabrook and Duncan Keith played a big part in Chicago’s win, and although I hate to say it, Chris Pronger was incredibly influential in our run.
So the draft’s a long way away and I know the season is still early to put absolute faith in scouting reports and rankings, but these are the four guys that think the oil should and will consider, let me know who you think the oil should draft this next time around and if you have suggested dmen or somebody who’s not eve a dman at all. For dmen I know all the hype is on Seth Jones, but we should wait until the season’s over to fully judge and these other guys need some consideration. They could offer a specific aspect which the oil need better than Seth Jones.

Seth Jones

The kid is apparently the truest sense of an all around dman. A shutdown defensemen with huge offensive capabilities. I live in Portland currently so I've had the opportunity to seem him play twice, he's calm and poised and does seem to make intelligent decisions, also he's TALL! You can't miss him on the ice. He seems really solid all around but my only critique is there isn't any one specific aspect of his game that stood out to me as being truly remarkable, but don't get me wrong he is good

Rasmus Ristolainen

While I can't say as much about him because I haven't seen much of his play, apparently the kid has a solid frame and used the body well, he is very physical but still has a good shot. He's good two-way player and moves the puck with confidence. While his defensive game could probably use some maturing he may the physical defensemen I want to see on the oilers.

Darnell Nurse

Kid is a physical force on the ice. He's big, tough, throws lots of hits and fights, rather brutally I might ad. Pretty much every report I read compares him to Chris Pronger. I see a lot of Milan Lucic in this kid and think he could actually be really effective in the NHL.

Ryan Pulock

A bit more of an offensive defensemen but he makes a great first pass, and also makes good decisions with and without the puck. I think of all these defensemen he as had the most profound impact on his team and their success. The kid also racks up the assists.

EdmOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Arpeggio

Oilers aren't guaranteed a high pick, if the season was cancelled the draft order would be determined the same way it was last lockout, and the Oilers chances would be hurt greatly by having the first pick the last three years.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:47 PM
MikeModano9

If the whole season gets locked out we're more then likely looking at a 20-30th pick. At that point of the first round it all comes down to scouting.

MikeModano9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Oilers aren't guaranteed a high pick, if the season was cancelled the draft order would be determined the same way it was last lockout, and the Oilers chances would be hurt greatly by having the first pick the last three years.
Actually there is no guarantee they would use the same formula either it could be entirely different. Most likely you are right but there are no guarantees. Heck they havent traded away the draft pick so even if it does go that way there is the chance they'd get the first pick.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Guess the poster didn't know that. Personally, I am tired of getting top 5 draft picks as it means the team is not progressing.

Tyrolean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Mikey71

The kid that I am hoping the Oil get is Nurse. I have seen him live quite a few times and the evolution from last year to this year is big. He is tall of course, but is still really throwing his weight around much more this year. Wait until the kid gets up over 200-210. He is going to physically dominate on the ice and be that big tough D that can really play the game. He is a physical freak in terms of conditioning and as most know has the bloodlines that suggest he will not lose a step when he puts that extra weight on since it will be good weight.

Mikey71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:28 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
I like Steve Tambellini's odds in any lottery!

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
a lot of assumption in the OP..

It'll be BPA especially with the 1st round selection. This is the draft of Centers and this team can surely use a big body C like Lazar \ Nichushkin

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:53 PM
EdmOil83

While yes the chances aren't as high as they would be if they recycled last year's standing, but I think the oilers chances aren't as bad as it seems. The criteria for selection takes into account first overall selections and also playoff appearances, or lack thereoff, in recent seasons.The penguins got the first pick after the lockout in 2005 and had already gotten a first overall in 2003. Also, the oilers currently have the second longest playoff drought in the whole league, behind only toronto. It is also possible they change the format. But hey, in a lottery involving the whole league, anything could happen

EdmOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:02 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmOil83 View Post
While yes the chances aren't as high as they would be if they recycled last year's standing, but I think the oilers chances aren't as bad as it seems. The criteria for selection takes into account first overall selections and also playoff appearances, or lack thereoff, in recent seasons.The penguins got the first pick after the lockout in 2005 and had already gotten a first overall in 2003. Also, the oilers currently have the second longest playoff drought in the whole league, behind only toronto. It is also possible they change the format. But hey, in a lottery involving the whole league, anything could happen
The Penguins still had 3 balls in the lottery because they traded up from #3 to #1 to get Fleury in 2003.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:02 PM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmOil83 View Post
If they use the same formula as before, the Oilers would be one of the teams with the WORST odds of getting a high pick.

This topic is pointless as we have no idea what where the Oilers will be drafting.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:05 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
due to the number of first round picks the oilers will have one ball in the draft while many other teams will have three. Of we lose the season we will get a pick in the 20 range is my guess if we fallow the last lock out rules

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

The really good thing about a shortened season is that Oilers fans might only have to go through half a season of pain for some long term gain.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
The really good thing about a shortened season is that Oilers fans might only have to go through half a season of pain for some long term gain.
Its December and we havent been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Its December and we havent been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet
But we're still tied for last!

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
But we're still tied for last!
and first!!!

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:43 PM
misfit

Quote:
You're still assuming there will be a CBA in June. The draft is part of the CBA, so no CBA = no draft. If the lockout carries over into next season, then the 2014 draft class could include all 2013 eligible players as well.

Of course, the league and the PA seem to make things up as they go along, so there's really no saying in what's going to happen and any scenario is possible.

12-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Joseppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
and first!!!
Don't forget lowest GAA, highest GF, lowest GA, best PP%, and best PK%

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:04 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

The oilers have a better chance at a high pick if the season is played. So, thanks but no thanks.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

There's a lot of good defencemen in this draft class, such as Josh Morrissey, Shea Theodore and Madison Bowey from the WHL. Just stay the course and go BPA with all of our picks as some of these blue-liners could slip to the second round and be great steals there. That said, landing Jones would be huge, no doubt and the Oilers should probably make some sort of push/package for that pick if not in position to select him themselves.

Larry Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Agron
BELIEVE.

i want curtis lazar

Agron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:46 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

BPA... and no way to really give any idea on who they should pick at this point because IF there is a draft, they could be picking anywhere from 1-30. It's a deep draft though so I think they should be able to get another strong asset for the prospect cupboard even with a pick in the 2nd half of the 1st.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:47 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
I'm hoping for Ryan Pulock. He's got an absolute cannon of a shot. That said, I'm also not sure we need yet another dman

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:53 PM
dnicks17

We're lucky 2013 is a crazy deep draft.

Remember the 2005 draft was snaked. If it's the same for this draft(if there is one), it won't be too bad having say the #20 and #40 picks.

Getting a 1st round quality center and defenseman would be a decent consolation prize.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:57 PM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
Don't forget lowest GAA, highest GF, lowest GA, best PP%, and best PK%
but also highest GAA, lowest GF, average PP% and worst PK%

...I want hockey.

Haha, actually I've been ok without it. My GPA could very well be 4.0 this semester. No way Hockey allows me to do that.

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote