HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Thread About Nothing Part 184: Surprised Panda Is Surprised

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2012, 07:44 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Hell, there are people who have home made forges in their garages and can make them, make ammo.... So what will it do?
My brother's friend has one such shop. He made a reproduction of a famous sports car from scratch for a Hollywood movie so they could destroy it. For someone like that, making a weapon would be child's play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
You can blame the implements all you want but they didn't cause the person to go out and stab kids or shoot kids or make plastic homemade bombs.
It's a psychological thing. These events are very scary and some people want to believe that they will have order and control in life if only XYZ is done. It's a far more terrifying thing to acknowledge the truth that you stated above, and some folks would rather not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
the divide is between people who think stricter gun laws are the solution, and people who think it is more of a crazy people issue
I think that's pretty accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
This is being done out of sensitivity to people who aren't prepared to think about this yet. Common decency, not malicious censorship.
Okay; well I'm with the folks that think it's over-the-top and ridiculous.

Old
12-19-2012, 07:44 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
easy access to assault weapons, as I specified in my post, is something that has only come about in the last century.
Given there's no such thing as an "assault weapon" (a completely made up an meaningless term) could you be more specific?

Quote:
easier access to more efficient assault weapons, gun incidents have much more potential to be lethal on a terrifying scale. Clearly unrestricted access to assault weapons is a bad idea.
The most lethal gun someone could use in one of these crowded mass shooting instances is the very simple pump action shotgun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
Heroin is illegal. Doesn't mean you can't get it...somewhat easily no less.
Yup.

Old
12-19-2012, 07:46 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

If the nation's biggest story was about a group of 20 kids committing group suicide by jumping off a building, I doubt you'd want to hear "Jumper" on the radio the next week.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:09 PM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
If the nation's biggest story was about a group of 20 kids committing group suicide by jumping off a building, I doubt you'd want to hear "Jumper" on the radio the next week.
And you wouldnt want to see the movie either.

Actually im not sure there needs to be a tragedy to make that the case.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:18 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
And you wouldnt want to see the movie either.

Actually im not sure there needs to be a tragedy to make that the case.
Hayden Christensen is a fantastic actor. He really shined in the production of R.L. Stine's "Night of the Living Dummy 3".

Old
12-19-2012, 08:23 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:

He could have constructed homemade bombs too. Either of those are more difficult than buying a gun, and more difficult to execute.
He could have strapped a suicide vest on like Al Qaeda, which is supposedly a relatively (and frighteningly) simple homemade device.

That would have killed more people too.

This reminds me of this iconic Archie Bunker clip*

*Archie Bunker was a Norman Lear creation. Lear was famously liberal and anti-gun, and this scene was intended to make 2nd Amendment proponents look stupid. Ironically, it backfired and more Americans identified with Bunker's logic in the scene. Probably the most famous scene from a very famous show

Quote:
Allow for future infrastructure for schools, malls, colleges, banks, etc. to be alerted if somebody brings a gun on the grounds. Maybe people still get killed at Sandy Hook/Columbine/VT even if an alarm went off when the shooters got within 50-200 feet of the doors, but at the very least, a PA announcement telling teachers to lock their doors
You dont think a suicidal mass killer would have thought of this?
or
You dont think he'd just use one of the several hundred-million currently existing non-RFID guns?
or
Even if we suppose the killer is a complete moron, why cant the RFID be removed or rendered inoperable?

Quote:
Of course this is an expensive and very long term option
Yes, as in so long-term that I'm sorry but this is honestly ludicrous.

Maybe in the year 2578 (if humans are still here) the non-RFID guns will have all worn out, but I doubt it.

Strad's violins are made of wood and are humming along quite well 300 years later. There are Civil War rifles that were relatively poorly made compared to today's guns that still function beautifully if fired. Not to mention, I have no idea how RFID would work here in the first place to be honest.

Quote:

-Allow for greater accountability. A significant portion of gun crimes are committed with guns that have outdated registration. Let's say I lose a gun or have it stolen. I can report it lost/stolen and if that gun pops up anywhere, it's potentially easier to track down. Again, it's not a full solution but it's an improvement over "My gun was lost/stolen and now nobody has any clue where it is."
Unless RFID technology has massively improved in the last few years it's not traceable by satellite (I am not a tecchy). So I have no idea what you're talking about. I also dont know why the crook cant just eliminate or baffle the RFID.

Last edited by BenedictGomez: 12-19-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old
12-19-2012, 09:48 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

So....nobody saw "The Hobbit" then?

Old
12-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Heroin is illegal. Doesn't mean you can't get it...somewhat easily no less.
But there is less of it around than if it were legal. Outlawing something does help to limit the supply, even if it doesn't eradicate the practice.

Quote:
So again, I'm not anti gun. It's just quite clear that something that makes killing people so easy needs to be harder to attain in this country. If you want to make me out to be a Commie, 2nd Amendment hating pinko, so be it.
This really does not need to be a false dichotomy. I don't consider myself entirely anti-gun either, but BG certainly thinks I am. There are legitimate reasons for gun ownership. I am just a believer in more reasonable restrictions to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Given there's no such thing as an "assault weapon" (a completely made up an meaningless term) could you be more specific?
Nobody needs a semiautomatic, military-style assault rifle for home defence or hunting. Submachine guns are not something that should be in the hands of the general public.

For all the NRA's propaganda about responsible gun ownership being the norm, somehow I feel that there are more guns out there in the hands of lunatics than there ever should be, and this is not being addressed in a responsible manner by the NRA because their agenda is so divisively political. Concealed carry advocates love to fantasise about every mass shooting scenario: "oh, if only the victims were packing heat, this could have been averted." Pardon me if I don't buy that argument for a second. Adding panicking, irrational people with guns to an already fraught situation will almost always make it worse. This is not the Wild West. An even bigger hail of bullets is not the answer.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:20 PM
kiwidevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
I'm no pointdexter, but I will be getting that phone next week
Good man, will hopefully getting one after xmas too.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Accounting final. starting to bug out. i hate this stuff and wish i was better.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:01 AM
HeliDevil
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Good woman, will hopefully getting one after xmas too.
fixed.

Only in Phoenix would you have someone interviewed on the local news suggesting maybe teachers should be armed.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Bringing guns into the schools? What's the worst that can happen?

Old
12-20-2012, 12:24 AM
kiwidevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
fixed.

Only in Phoenix would you have someone interviewed on the local news suggesting maybe teachers should be armed.
Really? My apologies.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:44 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
Bringing guns into the schools? What's the worst that can happen?
The pizza at lunch ends up cold ;_;

Old
12-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Some guy called out Myspace creator Tom Anderson after Anderson said to be afraid of Instagram's new policy by telling Anderson he failed making a social network. This was Anderson's response.

Tom Anderson ‏@myspacetom
@polotapia says the guy who sold myspace in 2005 for $580 million while you slave away hoping for a half-day off

https://twitter.com/Zedd/status/2816...788928/photo/1

Old
12-20-2012, 05:03 AM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

that's a whole lot of burn

Old
12-20-2012, 06:00 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
fixed.

At least in Phoenix, they only suggest it. In Texas, they already passed the law allowing it.

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-town-all...081017416.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
Some guy called out Myspace creator Tom Anderson after Anderson said to be afraid of Instagram's new policy by telling Anderson he failed making a social network. This was Anderson's response.

Tom Anderson ‏@myspacetom
@polotapia says the guy who sold myspace in 2005 for $580 million while you slave away hoping for a half-day off

https://twitter.com/Zedd/status/2816...788928/photo/1
That's a pretty good retort, I must say.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:44 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Nobody needs a semiautomatic, military-style assault rifle for home defence or hunting. Submachine guns are not something that should be in the hands of the general public.
1) There is no such thing as a semi-automatic assault rifle*.

2) "sub-machine guns" are already extraordinarily difficult to get (to say the least), and extraordinarily expensive.

*Though all assault rifles can fire in semi fashion

I'm not trying to be "condescending", but honestly, you don't know much about guns.

EDIT: to add a short link listing the steps needed to buy an automatic machine gun including ATF approval.
http://www.gunsandammo.com/2011/10/1...three-weapons/

Quote:
Concealed carry advocates love to fantasise about every mass shooting scenario: "oh, if only the victims were packing heat, this could have been averted." Pardon me if I don't buy that argument for a second.
1) An attempted school mass shooting was stopped once before by a principal with a CCW (2 people died first, but that's better than 22).

2) The Oregon mall attempted mass shooting just last week was stopped by a CCW after 2 deaths, and without even pulling a trigger. God knows how many more he would have killed.

Quote:
At least in Phoenix, they only suggest it. In Texas, they already passed the law allowing it.
I wonder why you feel threatened by this? Over 1 MILLION people in FL carry concealed. I believe even more do in TX.

Murder committed by gun by legal CCW holders are ridiculously rare.

Why would a principal at a TX school be any more "danger" than the lawyer at a TX law firm or the manager at a TX Walmart or the TX fireman or the waiter at a TX Morton's Steakhouse, who are all currently carrying CCW for literally years now with no such hazard to the public?

Quote:
Adding panicking, irrational people with guns to an already fraught situation will almost always make it worse. This is not the Wild West. An even bigger hail of bullets is not the answer.
Above you demonstrate you possess the HV mentality, which is fine. America is a free country and that's your wish. But it is illogical of you to suggest that the presence of someone willing and able to defend themselves or possibly take out the shooter could somehow MAKE IT WORSE?!?! Here's where I'll add my amazed emoticon

Last edited by BenedictGomez: 12-20-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old
12-20-2012, 09:44 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

BG can you go into weather mode for a bit and bring me good news about the coming week?

Old
12-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Breakin' the law

vCash: 113
relax, and I'll see you Saturday.

It will only FEEL like the end of the world actually happened around Sunday/Monday with dinner at the in-laws.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:26 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
relax, and I'll see you Saturday.

It will only FEEL like the end of the world actually happened around Sunday/Monday with dinner at the in-laws.
I was trying to explain this to some people at work. Unfortunately some people just want to believe. No amount of rational, well thought out, and well articulated rhetoric will convince them otherwise.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Cowbell232

So... who knows about Hoboken and/or Jersey City neighborhoods for young professionals who need easy access to NYC without spending a fortune on rent and don't want to have to drive much.

Ready.... Go.

12-20-2012, 10:40 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
BG can you go into weather mode for a bit and bring me good news about the coming week?
I dont know how you define "good news". To me "good news" is a 24" blizzard, but to other people that's weather hell.

The weather coming in today/tomorrow is that storm I had mentioned about 7 or 8 days ago, and unfortunately the temps arent going to be quite cold enough to support snow (close, but no cigar).

Then it's pretty boring until....

About the December 26/27 timeframe. There is model disagreement, with the European model forecasting a snowstorm for the northeast (2 to 6 inches for Jersey) and a lot of snow in parts of New England, but the American model has a nasty rain, snow, ice mix for us with the snow being up in New England.

EDIT: And yes, this is assuming the world doesn't end tomorrow.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:45 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
So... who knows about Hoboken and/or Jersey City neighborhoods for young professionals who need easy access to NYC without spending a fortune on rent and don't want to have to drive much.

Ready.... Go.

I'm cheap yet I ended up in Manhattan. How did that happen?

Things may have changed, but when I looked into moving to Hoboken or Jersey City to save money like everyone else does, I just wasn't impressed with the definition of "saving money".

The difference wasn't that dramatic IMO to sacrifice not living in Manhattan for the modest monthly money saved (i.e. I thought he difference in $$ would be huge, and it really wasnt).

Old
12-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I'm cheap yet I ended up in Manhattan. How did that happen?

Things may have changed, but when I looked into moving to Hoboken or Jersey City to save money like everyone else does, I just wasn't impressed with the definition of "saving money".

The difference wasn't that dramatic IMO to sacrifice not living in Manhattan for the modest monthly money saved (i.e. I thought he difference in $$ would be huge, and it really wasnt).
Taxes would be a lot higher in Manhattan for one, and second, it's a friends/family issue. Living in Hoboken/JC is bad enough in terms of people coming over and seeing family, but I feel like it might be even more difficult in Manhattan. Her mother would basically come in maybe 2-4 times a year, whereas it could be monthly in Hoboken/JC which is a big different to her. Lots of little things like that.

Plus I still want at least 1 car, because I need to go to work sites not easily accessible by mass transit occasionally. It's not really a money thing but a complete quality of life kind of thing.

I just don't want or need a $3K/mth studio on the water.... So I need to know what neighborhoods to look for and which to avoid... haha

Closed Thread