HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Finland

Old
12-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Loffer

vCash: 500
BTW Why was Lehkonen using the cage in that pre-competiton game againts Canada? I noticed him in the post game "celebrations". (Had dressed but didn't play.) Do 95 born players use cages in IIHF games? That would mean that Barkov also has to play with cage which shouyld look ridicilous. (But then again, no Canadian player had cage in that game. Strange.)

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 07:23 AM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
BTW Why was Lehkonen using the cage in that pre-competiton game againts Canada? I noticed him in the post game "celebrations". (Had dressed but didn't play.) Do 95 born players use cages in IIHF games? That would mean that Barkov also has to play with cage which shouyld look ridicilous. (But then again, no Canadian player had cage in that game. Strange.)
U-18 players have to play with full cages/bubbles in the IIHF tournaments. So Drouin, Mackinnon, Barkov and etc. all will have to wear them.

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 07:29 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Am I the only one who isn't all that suprised of the J.Ikonen cut, and even approve it somewhat? He didn't fare well yesterday, and had relatively big role in Sundsvall as well, but didn't achieve much there either.

The thing is, he might have put up a good showing in SM-liiga, but on the U20 stage, when the game loses half of its systematic flow and becomes more of an aggressive forechecking show accompanied by several coast-to-coast stretches, he was able to hang on about as well as you'd expect from your usual undersized cagehead. These words may sound harsh, and I don't wish anything bad for Ikonen's future (he will most likely be an asset in the coming years), but that's just how it was this time around.

What comes to other cuts, well... I'm guessing the dropping of J.Ikonen means Järveläinen made it. Five goals in six U20 games played in this season apparently convinced the coaches. Our junior Theo Fleury.

Since Nykopp was a good physical presence yesterday, throwing a few good hits and blocking shots (I can almost imagine Tomek coming to his pants when he hobbled to the bench after that particularly nasty one), I'm predicting Leino will be the final forward cut.

As for defense, I might approve of Vainonen, but I might have given Valkonen one more game to prove himself. Now Lindbohm is the only surefire DD to make it, which means Auvinen will make the cut as well, give he was the most physical of those still contesting D-men yesterday, in both good and bad (I wonder if the call would have been different if that obvious cross-check had been whistled). Vainio will make it too, given he's also reliable in own zone. It's either Lindell or Riikola getting sent home, and save for some heavy favoritism, I'm calling Lindell.

Korpisalo (Laurikainen)

Määttä - Ristolainen
Lindbohm - Pokka
Auvinen - Vainio
Riikola

Salomäki - Granlund - Armia
Haapala - Barkov - Lehkonen
Teräväinen - Aaltonen - Nykopp/Järveläinen
Hännikäinen - Salminen - Lamberg
Nykopp/Järveläinen
Mine:

Salomäki-Granlund-Armia
Haapala/Järveläinen-Barkov-Lehkonen
Teräväinen-Aaltonen-Nykopp/Järveläinen
Hännikäinen-Salminen-Lamberg
Haapala/Nykopp

Määttä-Lindbohm
Ristolainen-Pokka
Auvinen-Vainio
Riikola

PP-lines:

Salomäki-Granlund-Armia
Määttä-Järveläinen

Teräväinen-Barkov-Lehkonen
Ristolainen-Pokka

thomast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 07:57 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Järveläinen-Barkov-Lehkonen
I kinda wanna see that unit. 5' 8" Lehkonen and 5' 5" Järveläinen with 6' 3" Barkov in the middle. It's a bit like using humans to form an obscene gesture. Nickname: the FU-line.

Also, it's pretty much been established that Määttä and Ristolainen will form the top pair (even by the coaches).

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 08:10 AM
Haite
x

Quote:
I kinda wanna see that unit. 5' 8" Lehkonen and 5' 5" Järveläinen with 6' 3" Barkov in the middle. It's a bit like using humans to form an obscene gesture. Nickname: the FU-line.
Lehkonen is over 5'10.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 08:13 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
Lehkonen is over 5'10.
Darn. In that case, gimme Haapala - Barkov - Järveläinen. Lehkonen might be a better individual than those two, but all the opposing goalies will let in softies simply because they can't help but feel slightly offended. And the zebras can do nothing either.

Old
12-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Loffer

What is this nonsense?? They went and cut Ikonen! How in hell did they do that?? There goes Juuso's chance to get picked in the draft. Was he just terrible yesterday or is he injured or something? And why is that Haapala still in the team? Nykopp?? Leino?? Etc... Just carzy ****.
-----------------------
Joel Armia is just one helluva player whenever he bothers to show up. His stats in FEL indicate that this is not always the case. The best Finnish prospect for sure, he seems to be criminally underrated (HF prospect ranking etc.). If Armia keeps his effort level up rest of the season he should be a lock to the WC.

Barkov wants to be one of the best players in the tournament, kudos for him for that, but I think Armia will be even better in this competition. Barkov may be a good stickhandler but clumsy compared to Armia, whose stickhandling is just art. lol.

Old
12-21-2012, 08:45 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
There goes Juuso's chance to get picked in the draft.
You know what could have hurt those chances even more? Making the squad and then putting up a weak showing when the games roll around. Because for anybody who had watched the U20 games in these last couple of months, that was direction he was headed. It was a justified cut. Plain and simple.

And what comes to those other players, they're still there because they've been playing better than Ikonen when Rindell and co have been watching close. He may have better stats from SM-liiga, but if he can't put up a display under the noses of those who make the calls, this is how things are going to go.

Old
12-21-2012, 08:50 AM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
What is this nonsense?? They went and cut Ikonen! How in hell did they do that?? There goes Juuso's chance to get picked in the draft. Was he just terrible yesterday or is he injured or something? And why is that Haapala still in the team? Nykopp?? Leino?? Etc... Just carzy ****.
-----------------------
Joel Armia is just one helluva player whenever he bothers to show up. His stats in FEL indicate that this is not always the case. The best Finnish prospect for sure, he seems to be criminally underrated (HF prospect ranking etc.). If Armia keeps his effort level up rest of the season he should be a lock to the WC.

Barkov wants to be one of the best players in the tournament, kudos for him for that, but I think Armia will be even better in this competition. Barkov may be a good stickhandler but clumsy compared to Armia, whose stickhandling is just art. lol.
Armia's stickhandling stands mostly when he's on the rush. Barkov on the other hand can handle the puck in phone booth situations. Armia is sometimes dominant but he's definitely not as consistent as Barkov. If he stays at the top of his game, he'll have a chance against Barkov. Otherwise I see Barkov coming out as the winner of this race between them.

What comes to the WC; he needs to show more effort and be consistent SM-Liiga/FEL too. Sure, if he plays the rest of the season like he did in FIN-CAN peliminary game, he'll be a lock for WC.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 08:51 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Imo lots of Teräväinen's skills are wasted at third line. Arguably our most dynamic forward. Give him time with Barkov.

Spreading the scoring depth is nice but imo Barkov's line would miss too much that much needed scoring if he's playing Järveläinen.

If it won't work the mix it up but that's what I would start with.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 08:55 AM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Imo lots of Teräväinen's skills are wasted at third line. Arguably our most dynamic forward. Give him time with Barkov.

Spreading the scoring depth is nice but imo Barkov's line would miss too much that much needed scoring if he's playing Järveläinen.

Agreed. I'd put Lehkonen, Teräväinen and Barkov on the same line if the other top line is Salomäki, Granlund and Armia.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 09:25 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Finland's captain and alternates:

C - Lindbohm
A - Salomäki
A - Määttä

Per - http://sjl01.lahtis-enterprises.com/...00024057&BIND=

Old
12-21-2012, 09:32 AM
thomast

I wouldn't mind of these lines:

Salomäki-Granlund-Armia
Lehkonen-Barkov-Teräväinen
Järveläinen-Aaltonen-Nykopp
Hännikäinen-Salminen-Lamberg
Haapala

But i actually think that they want to create 3 scoring lines. Teräväinen-Aaltonen have looked good together all season long.

thomast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Coil

Quote:
You know what could have hurt those chances even more? Making the squad and then putting up a weak showing when the games roll around. Because for anybody who had watched the U20 games in these last couple of months, that was direction he was headed. It was a justified cut. Plain and simple.

And what comes to those other players, they're still there because they've been playing better than Ikonen when Rindell and co have been watching close. He may have better stats from SM-liiga, but if he can't put up a display under the noses of those who make the calls, this is how things are going to go.
And besides, Teräväinen never played in the U-20 squad, got picked in the first round. U-18 champs are more important to Ikonen at his age.

Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post

Last year at U18 they had Teravainen - Barkov - Lehkonen line playing time to time, i heard that reason why it wasn't the main offensive line through out the tournament was because they wanted to spread offense and not to put it all in one line.

If their coach want's to run with 3 solid units, he should be fired, last game Teravainen was kinda alone in that second line, no support from linemates in any rushes it looked like they were scared to go over blueline, his linemates didn't use him when he was wide open stick on ice at power play (you were honestly able to see how frustrated he was to play with those two guys who kinda didn't have any vision at all).

Leehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Ville231

IIHF preview of Team Finland -->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nCNRVTZ19g

Is it just me or does Ville Pokka look just like Aki Berg?

Ville231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Loffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville231 View Post
IIHF preview of Team Finland -->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nCNRVTZ19g

And Juuso ikonen didn't even make the team. This is outrageous.

Old
12-21-2012, 10:36 AM
heksagon

I remember very well when people were complaining "Where was Jussi Jokinen?" after 2010 Olympics when he was left out. I have a feeling that if Finland doesn't do well in these WJCs, It'll be the same thing with Ikonen. And rightly so. I'm having a hard time thinking of a good reason to leave him out completely, he's a good player.

It's another thing entirely if he has some kind of an injury though.

heksagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:48 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
IIHF preview of Team Finland
Well, that was a bit awkward, how they gave face time to a player who didn't even make the cut.

But you know what was even more awkward? Lack of Sasha. The biggest one (in both frame and star power) wasn't mentioned at all. When you make a "preview" of this team and don't even say Barkov's name, it tells you everything about the credibility of whoever put this together.

Quote:
A bit, yeah. Nice Movember contribution, too.

Old
12-21-2012, 10:50 AM
YARR123

Out of the 3 midgets, I thought Haapala and Järveläinen were the ones fighting for the spot on the team. It really dazzles me that Ikonen was the one cut, and even more dazzling that they cut him this early.

I really hope this doesn't affect team chemistry and Rindell's authority (like what happened in vancouver 2010).

It's mind boggling that we have a player with 18 points in 30 sm-liiga games that can't fit the team. Ofcourse the coaches don't look at stats but it's still crazy.

YARR123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:54 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
I remember very well when people were complaining "Where was Jussi Jokinen?" after 2010 Olympics when he was left out. I have a feeling that if Finland doesn't do well in these WJCs, It'll be the same thing with Ikonen. And rightly so. I'm having a hard time thinking of a good reason to leave him out completely, he's a good player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
It's mind boggling that we have a player with 18 points in 30 sm-liiga games that can't fit the team. Ofcourse the coaches don't look at stats but it's still crazy.
Jussi Jokinen was a NT veteran playing the season of his life, and had never put up a lacklustre showing in the NT either.

Juuso Ikonen is a 95-born cagehead playing his first season on U20 level. He had a good start at the summer camp in Lake Placid, but vanished from the picture completely after that. Yes, he was doing fine under Marjamäki in Blues, but he wasn't doing any favors for himself in the preliminary U20 games under Rindell (there was more than just the Canada one). 0+0 despite getting loads of TOI next to very familiar Aaltonen. He just wasn't cut out for the system of Rindell and Valtonen. Yet.

In the meanwhile, both Haapala and Järveläinen, his presumed main challengers, were playing a far more mature game - and scoring. Go look up their U20 stats. Read the game reports. It tells you the whole story.

So... no. There is no "Ikosgate" to speak of. It may feel like a big FU from Rindell and Valtonen towards Ikonen after these past few months he's had with Blues, but had they cut either Haapala or Järveläinen they would have flipped even bigger bird to 'em, because they were better in the U20 games than Ikonen. Please. Try. To. Understand. That.

Last edited by FiLe: 12-21-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old
12-21-2012, 11:16 AM
bebl

Weird that they kick Ikonen before Leino. Same with Valkonen over Lindell.

bebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 11:18 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebl View Post
Weird that they kick Ikonen before Leino. Same with Valkonen over Lindell.
Different roles in both cases. Leino is vying for a bottom-six two-way slot, Ikonen a scorer role.

Lindell is an offensive-minded D-man, Valkonen defensive.

Both Leino and Lindell may still get cut. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that came to be.

Old
12-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Haite
x

In my opinion, they should've given Ikonen another shot tomorrow, simply due to the fact that he could potentially be awesome. E.g. Dumba was one of the last cuts for team Canada despite very disappointing performance in preliminary games because of his upside. I also still feel like the Teräväinen-Aaltonen-Ikonen line wasn't structured well to begin with, and wish there'd been a bit more variety.

Either way, it's pointless to complain about it at this point. Teräväinen didn't make it last year, and I don't consider this to be a bigger scandal or anything, I just feel Ikonen would've deserved another chance.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 11:34 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
In my opinion, they should've given Ikonen another shot tomorrow, simply due to the fact that he could potentially be awesome. E.g. Dumba was one of the last cuts for team Canada despite very disappointing performance in preliminary games because of his upside. I also still feel like the Teräväinen-Aaltonen-Ikonen line wasn't structured well to begin with, and wish there'd been a bit more variety.
Team Canada's "preliminary" games before last night consisted of "Team White, Team Red" scrimmages between players invited to the selection camp.

Finland's preliminary games consisted of an U20 tournament or other played vs. Sweden, Czech Rep and Russia all fall long. Ikonen had his fair shot to show all the potential awesomeness he had, and after the off-season tour in Lake Placid, he wasn't able to do nothing to make a case for himself.

I'm not saying I would have minded to see him get a shot or even make it all way, but this decision was far from unjustified either. The rage and ******** going around is overblown.