HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Finland

Old
12-25-2012, 06:54 AM
QnebO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
I just hope that all this hype isn't for nothing. It's a harder fall than when we are going in as clear underdogs. I know we are still underdogs against US, CAN and RUS but head to head facing Swedes.
In the other hand, its allways as hard to fall if we fall, so it doesn't matter are we underdogs or what for others.. You always want gold and when we dont get it, it just always sucks as much. Even thought rational thinking would say that we will lose, and are underdogs, Its still hard to think your own team as underdog, and thats why it always hurts so much to lose. You still always first think that you're going to win.. Thats how life rolls, sadly maybe. Well at least those times when we have even a decent team on our own standards.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:00 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Have they faced Sweden in an exhibition game the last couple of months?
They did in Sundsvall in November. Sweden won 5-2.

Very different rosters from their current ones, of course. Only about half of Finland's elite talent was present.

Quote:
I just hope that all this hype isn't for nothing. It's a harder fall than when we are going in as clear underdogs. I know we are still underdogs against US, CAN and RUS but head to head facing Swedes.
When you have a team that's worthy of making some noise, then there's no fault in making some noise.

Of course, the end result can still be anything from a QF loss to gold medal, but it doesn't change the fact that on paper, we have one of the strongest teams in the tournament.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:13 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Hey guys, what's your ****ing lineup tomorrow?

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:21 AM
jaeger

Quote:
Underdogs against USA? I don't think so.

jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:25 AM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Hey guys, what's your ****ing lineup tomorrow?
22 Miikka Salomäki (A) — 11 Markus Granlund — 10 Joel Armia
19 Teuvo Teräväinen — 16 Aleksander Barkov — 28 Artturi Lehtonen
15 Miro Aaltonen — 29 Robert Leino— 45 Ville Järveläinen
46 Thomas Nykopp — 23 Saku Salminen — 14 Matti Lamberg
13 Markus Hännikäinen

2 Olli Määttä (A) — 5 Rasmus Ristolainen
4 Petteri Lindbohm (C) — 12 Ville Pokka
38 Juuso Vainio — 9 Juuso Riikola
55 Henri Auvinen

1 Joonas Korpisalo
31 Eetu Laurikainen

Something like this. 3rd and 4th line can change a little, I've seen nothing confirmed yet. 7th forward could be Hännikäinen, Salminen or Lamberg.

FinRuutu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:34 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
Road Ice Advantage

vCash: 1068
Quote:
22 Miikka Salomäki (A) — 11 Markus Granlund — 10 Joel Armia
19 Teuvo Teräväinen — 16 Aleksander Barkov — 28 Artturi Lehtonen
15 Miro Aaltonen — 29 Robert Leino— 45 Ville Järveläinen
46 Thomas Nykopp — 23 Saku Salminen — 14 Matti Lamberg
13 Markus Hännikäinen

2 Olli Määttä (A) — 5 Rasmus Ristolainen
4 Petteri Lindbohm (C) — 12 Ville Pokka
38 Juuso Vainio — 9 Juuso Riikola
55 Henri Auvinen

1 Joonas Korpisalo
31 Eetu Laurikainen

Something like this. 3rd and 4th line can change a little, I've seen nothing confirmed yet. 7th forward could be Hännikäinen, Salminen or Lamberg.
The 13th forward can be Nykopp, too.

Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:36 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Thank you. Some of the numbers have been changed for the final roster, though. GDT is up in a few minutes.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Haite
x

So the rule that you can't have jersey numbers over ~32 is still in effect? Bummer.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 08:05 AM
muuska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
The 13th forward can be Nykopp, too.
In my opinion the 13th forward should be Hännikäinen.
I just don't see anything why he should be on the lineup. Always when he get the puck he just dump it or loses it. Yes, he can play physical game, but so can Nykopp too and at least he has hands as well..

muuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Ville231

Why should we be the underdogs if we have a team like this? Its time to change the Finnish-mentality on these kind of things. For once it has been nice to see that the players have already said their only goal is the gold medal, and thats the way it should be IMO. You have to aim high in order to succeed.

Ville231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 10:50 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville231 View Post
Why should we be the underdogs if we have a team like this? Its time to change the Finnish-mentality on these kind of things. For once it has been nice to see that the players have already said their only goal is the gold medal, and thats the way it should be IMO. You have to aim high in order to succeed.
Because on paper we more or less are.

I think we are contenders here but not among the favorites. We would climb above Sweden if H. Lindholm is out.. were around even before that. I don't like saying that Finns are above Sweden though ever, jinxing it every time..

USA is q-mark. They played like crap against us. They have the talent but it's about if they can pull it together.

Russia and Canada have arguably better rosters on paper.. Russia's D has issues though. I hope kids gained a lot of confidence from that pretournament. I at least did and seems like some posters did here too, lol.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Gaps

We are underdogs on paper, regardless of the pre-tournament games. That's just fine IMO, the less seriously the other teams take us, the better.

I love that the team's said their only aim is to take the gold. That's exactly the attitude Finland should have in every single tournament. It's not always realistic, but when it comes to hockey, we're one of the best and shouldn't be satisfied by making it to the QFs or the SFs. I never want to hear "We're just gonna do our best and see how far it takes us" again when asked what they're looking to achieve in a tournament.

What's the sense of even competing if you're not in it to win it? Of course, if we were a lesser hockey country, I'd understand setting the goals a bit lower, but we're not. We're capable of upsetting very tough teams, but I hate the attitude most of our players (and coaches as well) seem to have. It lacks ambition and aggressiveness and is pathetic.

I can't believe some people say we should've lost the pre-tournament games. We've lost them before, and what good has that done to us? Absolutely none, we still haven't medaled in this tournament since 2006.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 01:49 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
We are underdogs on paper, regardless of the pre-tournament games. That's just fine IMO, the less seriously the other teams take us, the better.

I love that the team's said their only aim is to take the gold. That's exactly the attitude Finland should have in every single tournament. It's not always realistic, but when it comes to hockey, we're one of the best and shouldn't be satisfied by making it to the QFs or the SFs. I never want to hear "We're just gonna do our best and see how far it takes us" again when asked what they're looking to achieve in a tournament.

What's the sense of even competing if you're not in it to win it? Of course, if we were a lesser hockey country, I'd understand setting the goals a bit lower, but we're not. We're capable of upsetting very tough teams, but I hate the attitude most of our players (and coaches as well) seem to have. It lacks ambition and aggressiveness and is pathetic.

I can't believe some people say we should've lost the pre-tournament games. We've lost them before, and what good has that done to us? Absolutely none, we still haven't medaled in this tournament since 2006.

Exactly. There are 7 or less competitive countries per tournament, here it's pretty much only 5. Of course the goal should be to win and nothing less.

I don't know should I cry or laugh when Finnish athletes say "We're just gonna do our best and see how far it takes us".. Because chances are 99% of the time it won't take you to the top.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 04:19 AM
Gaps

Not a great game from Finland, but still 44 shots on goal, and we did what had to be done. I expect much better on Friday, though.

Anyone have any idea where I could find ice times for the game? They aren't on this sheet: http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/306/IHM306A01_74_3_0.pdf

Old
12-26-2012, 04:20 AM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Ouch.. leg twisted backwards..

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 04:23 AM
edd1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by x94Galchenyuk94x View Post
Ouch.. leg twisted backwards..

If that ankle isnt broken it's a miracle!

Big loss for Finland i have to say. I really hope they make third line more defensive with Nykopp - Leino - Järveläinen and second line more offensive with Teräväinen - Barkov - Lehkonen

**EDIT**
MTV3 says it's broken so Aaltonen will miss rest of the games.

**EDIT2**

I wonder can WE get someone from Finland to replace Aaltonen?

Last edited by edd1e: 12-26-2012 at 04:28 AM.
edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 04:25 AM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Juha Hiitelä ‏@jhiitela
Miro Aaltonen, who scored 2+1 at opening game, was hurt. Broken ankle, tournament (and probably) season over. Says MTV3.fi

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 04:25 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
If that ankle isnt broken it's a miracle!

Big loss for Finland i have to say. I really hope they make third line more defensive with Nykopp - Leino - Järveläinen and second line more offensive with Teräväinen - Barkov - Lehkonen
It is broken, says @_kausto on Twitter. You can find the actual article here: http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko...--mm-kisat-ohi

We really need to go with the Teräväinen-Barkov-Lehkonen line now.

Old
12-26-2012, 04:27 AM
Ville231

Terrible game. Especially Aaltonen's injury is a huge upset for us (broken ankle) . Well next game should be better i'd switch the lines now that aaltonen is injured:

Salomäki-Granlund-Armia
Teräväinen-Barkov-Lehkonen
Nykopp-Leino-Järveläinen
Lamberg-Salminen-Hännikäinen

They have to be (and they will be) better against the Czechs.

Ville231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 04:31 AM
heksagon

Damn it that's a big loss, Aaltonen has been really good on the National team. The idea of having three scoring lines can go to the dumpster now.

heksagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 05:07 AM
ElHefe

Could the team invite already cut players back when someone gets injured or do they have to go with 22 players from now on? Ikonen would be a great replacement.

ElHefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 05:22 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHefe View Post
Could the team invite already cut players back when someone gets injured or do they have to go with 22 players from now on? Ikonen would be a great replacement.
Ikonen definitely deserves a spot on this team. Don't know if that's possible, though.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 05:39 AM
Klown

Ouch! Poor Aaltonen. Hope this injury won't affect his career.

Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 06:06 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
Ikonen definitely deserves a spot on this team. Don't know if that's possible, though.
IIHF decided on a harsh byline a few years back when they did away with all taxi squad allowances. Since then the squad you enter (20+3) is the squad you have, whether they can play or not.

So we'll be rolling with 12+7 from here on out.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 06:24 AM
MMANumminen

It will. He has time now to get Swchwartsenegger like upper body in couple of months

MMANumminen is offline   Reply With Quote