HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Finland

Old
12-31-2012, 09:14 AM
QnebO

vCash: 500
I dont remember when we would have get relegated in international hockey. I feel like ****, I blame Kummola for using amateur coaches in U20.. What a material gone to waste.. Best coaches wouldn't need even close this good material to continue at this point where we lost it.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:18 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Wait, did I read it right that Helminen is being considered for coming back to coach the WJC team next year?

Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:21 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creeper View Post
Wait, did I read it right that Helminen is being considered for coming back to coach the WJC team next year?
There was some Iltapulu rumor a while back and now it's already being repeated around like it's gospel.

Could be so, could not. At least the most optimistic of us are hoping this'll make Kummola do a double take before it's announced.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creeper View Post
It's considered already a lock by sports medias. No other available options really.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:24 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
I dont remember when we would have get relegated in international hockey.
It's partially the tournament format. Ten teams, only three get a shot.

Can't hide behind that excuse of course, given our material we should have made the top three with little effort, but had we had the same format in most major tournaments (both men and juniors) during the past decade or so, this may have happened already.

For example, next year four teams advance and only the bottom feeder of both groups gets to relegate.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:26 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
It's considered already a lock by sports medias.
Is it? All I've seen is one story, and even that is according to "the sources we have". Of course, that's been enough to give the story some buff in social media circles.

Yes, it might as well mean a done deal, but one shouldn't say it's so before it really is so.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:32 AM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
He and Armia dominated at times on the offensive zone. And I have to say I'm really impressed by Ristolainen. The best defenceman on the team and on the ice today imo. Would really be surprised if he isn't top 10 by the time of the draft.
would be surprised if they they actually draft someone at first round from this team

behemolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by behemolari View Post
would be surprised if they they actually draft someone at first round from this team

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Faerun

vCash: 509
Quote:
ok

was Aaltonen a leader in the locker room or why the finns were so weak mentally. Game starts in 4 games were awful in all of them. Coaching was weaker this year then last year i mean how can u get a worse coaching then Helminen gave last year...

Last edited by Faerun: 12-31-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Faerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:41 AM
agent082

I think Lehkonen and Barkov lost some stocks and Ristolainen gained. Nothing major.

agent082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:44 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

FYI, just recalled that we were in relegation in 2009 also. With this team.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:44 AM
vanskillZ

It's not like we will have a better team next year, Teräväinen is the only forward who is drafted from the 94 class... Can we ever compete for the gold, if this team is facing relegation?

vanskillZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:46 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent082 View Post
I think Lehkonen and Barkov lost some stocks and Ristolainen gained. Nothing major.
There's still plenty of club team hockey left for all of them to gain whatever they lost. No professional scout makes long-lasting evaluations based on one tournament.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:52 AM
agent082

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
There's still plenty of club team hockey left for all of them to gain whatever they lost. No professional scout makes long-lasting evaluations based on one tournament.
Very true. But still this tournament was one part of evaluation.

agent082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:54 AM
Monaakko

Quote:
Not me, you could see the skill of the players, but in general the intensity, chemistry and gameplan sucked. Losing Aaltonen was a big blow, but it shouldn't have mattered as much as it did. The main problems as I saw it was that there was no support for the puck carrier in our transition game, a weak forecheck, and failing at clogging up the neutral zone. A very un-finnish hockey to say the least.

On a side note, what do you think of next years team? I was rather pessimistic before the tournament, but after thinking about it we'll probably (hopefully) have the best set of d-men ever, and while we will lose Armia, he's really the only key piece we'll miss. Granlund was decent, but hardly impressive and Salomäki was just a pain to watch. I have no clue what our depth will look like, but it's not going to be that much worse compared to this years after losing Aaltonen. And hopefully we'll have some underagers break out. The -95's need to be alot better though, which i think they can be.

Monaakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:54 AM
Humppaknight

Must be something wrong with coaching, if Rindell and Valtonen can make Määttä so poor player in couple of weeks.

Humppaknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
FYI, just recalled that we were in relegation in 2009 also. With this team.
That teams hopes for success were killed off by Pulkkinen being injured and no real line chemistry anymore plus really average defense.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:59 AM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humppaknight View Post
Must be something wrong with coaching, if Rindell and Valtonen can make Määttä so poor player in couple of weeks.
Really

RorschachWJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Faerun

vCash: 509
Quote:
Määttä was good overall in tournament the sweden game was poor but i think he was still recovering from the stomach flu that took down Laurikainen & Leino from today's game

Faerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:01 AM
FlutteringSaucer

Quote:
There's a lot to blame on the coaching team but I'm pretty sure in Määttä's case it was more about him not being completely healthy.

FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:03 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
He was clearly not at 100% in the last game. Stomach flu going around the team.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:04 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Players of this team, plus those that made camp who are eligible next year:

Korpisalo
Juvonen

Määttä
Pokka
Ristolainen
Vainio
---
Vainonen
Lindell

Barkov
Lehkonen
Teräväinen
Salminen
---
Haapala
J.Ikonen
H.Ikonen

It's a decent start. Goalies and defense are in good shape. G is hard to predict, because surprise names may always come up, but Korpisalo and Juvonen look like a decent enough tandem.

D, add Tikkinen and you have an unit ready to play. Määttä might not be available though. Ristolainen maybe too, but hopefully not.

Forwards, a good core. Mostly bottom-sixers required. Barkov is a question mark of course if he goes high. Prominent names outside the camp, Rasmus Kulmala seems to have broken into TPS roster. The rest of '94s not listed here still hanging on the fringes, but I'm sure we'll see more as the year rolls along.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:06 AM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaakko View Post
On a side note, what do you think of next years team?..
not pretty much hope, like this team, like last years team.. year before that. would go forever (98 team as we all know was great tho) theyre simply put CRAP OFFENCE, not because of skillset or lack of leadership, they just are WEAK and SMALL year after year. there's armia one year barkov another but never a team of full sized strong enough players to be competitive against other big hockey countries.

so i say it's crap, besides exhausted or well rested barkov, wont be enough.

Quote:
Ristolainen maybe too, but hopefully not. ..Barkov is a question mark of course if he goes high
no way youre not saying theyre locked out to their "professional teams" next year. not gonna happen, they will stick in FEL

Last edited by behemolari: 12-31-2012 at 10:12 AM.
behemolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:09 AM
sinettiseura

IMO this is nothing to do with coaches. Rindell did good job. As did Raipe last year. The team just couldn't handle the pressure. Finnish media started to talk about gold and even though it was realistic the team wasn't mentally ready. These U20 games are just so unpredictable. Canada is probably going to win gold and Finland beat them with B team.

Overall I'm dissapointed on how Barkov played and I'm sure that he is too. He was pretty good in this game but in other games he was visible and lost puck battles. He also always seemed to be a bit late. Maybe he was tired. I admire his maturity. Even though he was frustrated he played short shifts and without risks.

Ristolainen was really good IMO. Physically he was very good and he was the leader of our defense. He was also good offensively and did some good rushes. Few times I thought that he was positioned poorly when our team let a goal but in replay you could see that it was someone else's fault and there was no reason to blame Ristolainen. He also took some penalties but they were soft calls imo.

Our defense was good and I'm happy that we have defenders like Määttä, Ristolainen and Pokka who are going to be in our NT in the future.

I have stated in these forums before that next year we have the better team that this year and I still think so. Few injuries or Barkov playing in the NHL (not sold about this) may hurt the team significantly though.

Defense should be our strength next year and we have few also really good forwards who are still eligible next year (Teräväinen, Barkov, Lehkonen). Also Korpisalo can play next year.

sinettiseura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:09 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
That teams hopes for success were killed off by Pulkkinen being injured and no real line chemistry anymore plus really average defense.
You're referring to 2010. That year, it was the regular QF exit.

Year before, 89s were main class, with Granlund making it as an underage, super-prospect cagehead. Pulkkinen was not yet an option back then.

BTW, given the tournament format, relegation is hardly the end of the world. Seems like one top country has to go there every year. In 2009 it was us, in 2010, 2011, the Czechs. Last year USA was in relegation.