HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Finland

Old
12-19-2012, 06:22 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Petteri Lindbohm chosen as the captain, according to Jokerit's official twitter account.
Well, didn't see that coming.

Salomäki and Granlund/Määttä for the As then?

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:30 AM
Odeboy

Really looking foward to seeing Olli Määttä lead the defence. Last year he didn't really get to show off his skills.

Odeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Petteri Lindbohm chosen as the captain, according to Jokerit's official twitter account.

https://twitter.com/jokerithc/status/281370485864923136
A very surprising choice when you look at the roster. But then again, Valtonen probably had a say in this.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:56 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
A very surprising choice when you look at the roster. But then again, Valtonen probably had a say in this.
Now there's someone at Jatkoaika boards saying that Hännikäinen got one of the As.

So yeah, apparently the letters have been handed by a democratic three-man committee that consists of Tomek Valtonen, Tomek Valtonen and Tomek Valtonen.

Old
12-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Now there's someone at Jatkoaika boards saying that Hännikäinen got one of the As.

So yeah, apparently the letters have been handed by a democratic three-man committee that consists of Tomek Valtonen, Tomek Valtonen and Tomek Valtonen.
... If this is the logic the letters were handed out, the 2nd 'A' went to Teräväinen, Lindell, Lamberg or Salminen. If Hännikäinen really got one of the As, then this looks like obvious favoritism. Let's hope it doesn't cause any conflicts within the team.

Old
12-19-2012, 07:47 AM
bebl

first pp: teravainen-salminen-hannikainen
lindell-lindbohm

bebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 07:52 AM
goodoldhockeygame

vCash: 300
common guys....i think you interpret to much in this. i wasnt expect this picks but anyway.........that wont make too much of difference...

goodoldhockeygame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Gaps

It does make a difference if the others feel their coach is favoring his own players. But none of us know if they feel that way.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:29 AM
goodoldhockeygame

vCash: 300
yeah, if so that would be a desaster. hopefully not, so everybody can focus on their own play.

goodoldhockeygame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:36 AM
nonoob12

is there anyway to watch tomorows FIN-CAN pregame live on internet?
TSN live stream maybe???
its crazy how this game is played in finland and broadcasted in canada but not in finland

and mtv3maxsport2(what a stupid name) is showing elitserien replays instead

nonoob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subber View Post
I agree with this post. Last year when Raipe was our coach he did really good job, we lost the medal because of Aittokallio's mistake in semi-finals. Without that, we would've had really good opportunity to take the gold medal. Come on guys, it's not Helminen's mistake if our goalie does give free goal. With Ilves he has done decent job, done everything what he has been able to do. That team doesn't have any first line players or even great goaltender without lockout-players. Roster is easily worst of league.
The hell he did. You're only looking at the result, while you should look beyond it. The team was organized very poorly, there was no clear system in place, the lines were structured badly (a simple change of Ma. Granlund<->Donskoi would have made two lines better) the pp looked it hadn't been practiced at all not to mention the whole mess that was the defensive play in the defensive zone (opposing players constantly open due non-existent marking). The journalists who actaully know about the game were all over it during the tournament. Son, I am disappoint.

Last edited by Jussi: 12-19-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Could it be that Lindbohm will just wear C in the U-20 Premiere games, and that the actual captaincy stuff hasn't been settled yet? You'd think that at least some media outlet would mention something like that..

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:24 PM
edd1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
The hell he did. You're only looking at the result, while you should look beyond it. The team was organized very poorly, there was no clear system in place, the lines were structured badly (a simple change of Ma. Granlund<->Donskoi would have made two liens better) the pp looked it hadn't been practiced at all not to mention the whole mess that was the defensive play in the defensive zone (opposing players constantly open due non-existent marking). The journalists who actaully know about the game were all over it during the tournament. Son, I am disappoint.
My thoughts exactly!

He was rubbish, really poor. Our dmen didnt put the puck moving fast enough and fast legged teams catched our boys with their pants down all the time. It was horrible to watch and now we're going to see it again in 2013 december.

I really dont understand why Helminen got picked again to this post.

edd1e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
My thoughts exactly!

He was rubbish, really poor. Our dmen didnt put the puck moving fast enough and fast legged teams catched our boys with their pants down all the time. It was horrible to watch and now we're going to see it again in 2013 december.

I really dont understand why Helminen got picked again to this post.
Probably because the federation wanted a fulltime coach and he was the only one available/willing to commit.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:57 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
Could it be that Lindbohm will just wear C in the U-20 Premiere games, and that the actual captaincy stuff hasn't been settled yet? You'd think that at least some media outlet would mention something like that..
If they'd still have players joining the squad, that'd make some sense.

But nope, if they're all there, there's no need to hand it to one guy and then rip it off him later. Unless, of course, there truly is a situation where every player in the squad is still contesting for a slot, which certainly isn't the case here. The guys most of us had designated for letters have been locks since summer.

It's not the Lindbohm captaincy that made me arch a brow though, but this alleged A for Hännikäinen. Once is okay, but two just stinks of favoritism, especially since it's a player who hasn't exactly distinguished himself by carrying a letter before (okay, he HAS been an U18 alternate, but the squad has quite a handful of even more prominent U18 and U20 Cs and As).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Probably because the federation wanted a fulltime coach and he was the only one available/willing to commit.
Is Rindell going to commit somewhere else, anyone know? He'd be a natural to try for an extension first, especially if he ends up doing well here.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:01 PM
ChadS

Hännikäinen is a very smart kid known for his work ethic and leadership, as is Lindbohm. They both also have a history of being among the captains of their teams, both club and national team.

Besides, not being a captain might take extra pressure off the young stars of the team.

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:08 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Besides, not being a captain might take extra pressure off the young stars of the team.
This is one point I find easy to agree with. Being all over the plate certainly didn't do MiG any good.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Haite
x

Tomek Valtonen mentions in this Iltapulu article, that Määttä will be an alternate captain. (unless he meant "He is an alternate captain (in London) and has a big role (in WJC), like with his club team." Which would make very little sense, unless Valtonen is not that exceptional verbally .) So Lindbohm with C, Hännikäinen and Määttä with A's then, probably?

Just baffles me that there hasn't been an official word on this.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:14 AM
edd1e

Lines for the Canada match:

Janne Juvonen
Eetu Laurikainen

Miikka Salomäki - Markus Granlund - Joel Armia
Olli Määttä - Mikko Vainonen

Teuvo Teräväinen - Miro Aaltonen - Juuso Ikonen
Juuso Riikola - Juuso Vainio

Thomas Nykopp - Robert Leino - Ville Järveläinen
Petteri Lindbohm - Esa Lindell

Matti Lamberg - Saku Salminen - Henrik Haapala
Henri Auvinen - Joonas Valkonen

To me these guys seem to be on the clear for making the team: Barkov, Ristolainen, Pokka, Hännikäinen (weird if its true) and Lehkonen (forgot about him)

Last edited by edd1e: 12-20-2012 at 02:42 AM.
edd1e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 02:27 AM
Haite
x

Quote:
Teuvo Teräväinen (180 cm) - Miro Aaltonen (179 cm) - Juuso Ikonen (175 cm)
Juuso Riikola (182 cm) - Juuso Vainio (180 cm)
Should be interesting to see how Teräväinen-Aaltonen-Ikonen line can handle Canadian forwards defensively.

Last edited by Haite: 12-20-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old
12-20-2012, 03:16 AM
Gaps

Looks like the two bottom lines are for testing the players who may not have convinced the coaching staff as of yet. I don't see Haapala being very useful as a 4th liner, but I can understand that they want to see how he does without Barkov and whether he could be placed anywhere else should he make the team.

Quote:
Should be interesting to see how Teräväinen-Aaltonen-Ikonen line can handle Canadian forwards defensively.
Yeah. Frankly I think they'll be in serious trouble most of the time. But we'll see.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:41 AM
Leinomania

Quote:
Hännikäinen (weird if its true)
He has previous WJC experience and is pretty good on penalty kill. Also good on boardplay and decent at carrying the puck. Definite lock on fourth line considering that Valtonen really seems to like him based on his minutes at Jokerit. Even played some powerplay minutes along with pk minutes at some games on FEL, although he sucks when it comes to actually doing something on the offensive zone. Like giving a decent pass or shooting.

Leinomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 04:23 AM
sinettiseura

Quote:
Lines for the Canada match:

Janne Juvonen
Eetu Laurikainen

Miikka Salomäki - Markus Granlund - Joel Armia
Olli Määttä - Mikko Vainonen

Teuvo Teräväinen - Miro Aaltonen - Juuso Ikonen
Juuso Riikola - Juuso Vainio

Thomas Nykopp - Robert Leino - Ville Järveläinen
Petteri Lindbohm - Esa Lindell

Matti Lamberg - Saku Salminen - Henrik Haapala
Henri Auvinen - Joonas Valkonen

To me these guys seem to be on the clear for making the team: Barkov, Ristolainen, Pokka, Hännikäinen (weird if its true) and Lehkonen (forgot about him)
Great. Paid 16 euros to see Barkov play live against Canada and now he isn't in the roster... Didn't realize that this is possible. I would not have bought the ticket if I knew this beforehand... The most intresting players are not in the lineup.

sinettiseura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 06:11 AM
SidTheKid8787

Found a TSN stream.
PM me if you need it.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 06:12 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

The most interesting thing to watch tonight is how that second line handles the physical game.

What's a bit weird in that lineup is that 3rd line's composition. I know they promised everyone still on the camp a fair chance to make it and I guess this is them answering that call, but it's also clear that all three won't make it, too many locks in the team. Therefore it would have made far more sense for the management to spread them out a little and have them actually play next to guys whose slots they have a chance of snagging, to see how chemistry goes.

I'm guessing the game vs. USA will be closer to the final lineup, like this...

Korpisalo
(Whichever plays better tonight)

Määttä - Ristolainen
Lindbohm - Pokka
(Bottom four manned by guys who distinguish themselves tonight)

Salomäki - Granlund - Armia
Haapala - Barkov - Lehkonen
Teräväinen - Aaltonen - J.Ikonen
Hännikäinen - Salminen/Nykopp/Leino - H.Ikonen

One of the thing I do like tonight's lineup (even if it's merely a semantical issue as I've maintained) is the presumed centre/winger slots between Granlund/Salomäki and Aaltonen/Teräväinen going as most of us have been calling for it.