HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Newly sharpened skates are an issue

Old
12-16-2012, 08:33 AM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
This is stupid. Lock thread please?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbs02 View Post
You really should use an edge gauge. It is impossible to eyeball if a skate is completely level. If you can see that the edge is off, it is really off. It is a $100 investment to get a level from Blademaster and it will help to improve the quality of your edges. A dime or a credit card is not an accurate gauge.
Oh... we have one, I just don't find myself needing it too often. I've talked to NHL sharpeners before and they eyeball it most of the time as well. I do a good enough job without it but if someone wants me to use it I will.

I've never even thought about using a dime or credit card, but I've seen customers who don't know me doing it to my sharpenings sometimes haha.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:10 AM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Way to take out of context
Just repeating what you said.

Quote:
That simply is not the case. 1/4" is severely extreme for either a skater or a goalie.
Skater yes, goalie not so much.

Quote:
5 or 6 passes? Seriously? No wonder you're whining about taking too much steel off, it takes 2 tops.
You cant get a blade completely flat in two passes on a cross grinder. At least not when just using light pressure as you should be. Running the blade lightly across the grinder and then checking after each pass to make sure you only grind till you're flat or have gotten and nick or deformity out of the blade that had you grinding to begin with.

Quote:
We as in several people? Little bit easier when there is a team of staff doing it.
We as in our shop. I only have one person in the sharpening room at a time.

Quote:
Sure thing bud. I'm not the one acting high and mighty here.
I'm not the one that has repeatedly said he works in the GTA, the largest hockey area in the world trying to make everyone else think that you must know what you're doing if you work there. Yet you still havent actually told us where you work, so you must not be too proud of it.

But I'm done now as nothing is going to change your mind from thinking you know it all.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 08:38 AM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Wellllllll....now that I've started World Wars 3 and 4, to get back on topic, I skated on a 5/8 last night, and it was a significant improvement. I had used a 9/16 for my prior recent sharpenings, and even though its only 1/16th of a change it seemed a huge difference.

I had a different person sharpen them last night than my usual guy, and since I have 2 pairs of G70s will have this new guy do my other pair of them as well, also to 5/8ths. I want to learn if it was perhaps my longtime sharpener who was more of an issue than the cut size.....will know this weekend as I have several skates coming up and can test both skates at 5/8ths.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Wellllllll....now that I've started World Wars 3 and 4, to get back on topic...
And I'm going to take it a little off topic.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone using different cuts for different feet? Just curious...

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
And I'm going to take it a little off topic.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone using different cuts for different feet? Just curious...
I've never heard of anyone doing that, but I could certainly ser why someone would do it, e.g. accommodating for a weaker side...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:31 AM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
This is stupid. Lock thread please?
Agreed, I came into to see what issues someone was having, and only to read a bunch of man-childs arguing about who the best sharpener in the west is.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:34 AM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Wellllllll....now that I've started World Wars 3 and 4, to get back on topic, I skated on a 5/8 last night, and it was a significant improvement. I had used a 9/16 for my prior recent sharpenings, and even though its only 1/16th of a change it seemed a huge difference.

I had a different person sharpen them last night than my usual guy, and since I have 2 pairs of G70s will have this new guy do my other pair of them as well, also to 5/8ths. I want to learn if it was perhaps my longtime sharpener who was more of an issue than the cut size.....will know this weekend as I have several skates coming up and can test both skates at 5/8ths.
That no doubt will make a huge difference, even going from 1/2 to 5/8 I noticed a big difference. I've been on 5/8 the last year. If you like 5/8, you should try a 3/4 just for kicks sometime, you might really like it. I just don't like much edge at all and I've turned several of my friends onto 5/8 and 3/4 cuts and they love them.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 02:57 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
Agreed, I came into to see what issues someone was having, and only to read a bunch of man-childs arguing about who the best sharpener in the west is.
actually it was more an argument about techniques

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 08:17 AM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
That no doubt will make a huge difference, even going from 1/2 to 5/8 I noticed a big difference. I've been on 5/8 the last year. If you like 5/8, you should try a 3/4 just for kicks sometime, you might really like it. I just don't like much edge at all and I've turned several of my friends onto 5/8 and 3/4 cuts and they love them.
You know of what you speak. 5/8ths is the solution I have searched for, and can say that after spending almost 3 years of trying different cuts - I had both pairs of my Grafs cut to 5/8ths to make certain it was suitable, can say that I have finally found the Holy Grail

With 5/8 = 10/16, going 2 settings down to 12/16 would probably feel like wearing frying pans on my feet: no edge at all. Perhaps for the heck of it maybe I'll try that one day.

The interesting thing is that at 5/8, i can float and glide comfortably - but can also stop on a dime if need be even at maximum speed. While the process of elimination trying different cut sizes was long and a hassle, it was worth it in the end to find the absolute "right" cut.

Hopefully, with two pairs of Graf G70s in hand for purposes of lasting me for the next 20-25 years of hockey, this will never be an issue again during my playing "career."

Last edited by nystromshairstylist: 12-25-2012 at 10:03 PM.
nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 10:19 AM
do0glas

Does the ice you play at have any bearing on what cut to get?

When I first started the pro shop guy told me to go 1/2 cuz during the summer the ice isn't as hard.

1/2 feels good for me, but I want to try other stuff.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 01:24 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Does the ice you play at have any bearing on what cut to get?

When I first started the pro shop guy told me to go 1/2 cuz during the summer the ice isn't as hard.

1/2 feels good for me, but I want to try other stuff.
Yes it does, some people get different cuts at different times of year due to ice conditions. I've always had my 100/50 at all times though.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote