HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part X)

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 11:36 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
The 18 games I saw he saw he seemed like a pretty solid 21 yo.
But, I gotchya.
Yep.

Plus Chevy was happy.
Plus coach was happy.
Plus coach openly blamed his teammates for dragging him down.
Plus that whole puck luck thing.

I am not worried about regression.

If he tanks in the NHL over a larger sample, then we can talk.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:11 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Yes, he was 20 last year and he turned 21 in ?October?.
Not trying to nit pick , but it is relevant , you said "Burmi is 20 years old " ... if I ( or someone ) said he is 22 , you would and should correct it.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:24 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Not trying to nit pick , but it is relevant , you said "Burmi is 20 years old " ... if I ( or someone ) said he is 22 , you would and should correct it.
Sorry... I wasn't meaning anything by it if that's what you thought. Just was extending the thought.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:20 AM
sully1410

vCash: 155
Another thing that's worth touching on, is that he's probably not done growing yet...mentally or physically. He's only going to get stronger and have better hockey iq as time goes by(to a point). Anyone that ha ever done manual labor with anyone under the age of 24 will know what I mean. A lot of time, the more youthful mind doesn't always immediately grasp the bet way to accomplish the task at hand(some of this is just plain experience).

My father was a police officer for many years with the city of Winnipeg, and when he instructed at the police academy he always told me that it was next to impossible to teach the younger guys how to room clear until after they had done it 4,5, or 6 times...the older guys seemed to get it quicker. This also holds true for another test they did. Back in the day, the police department used a six shot revolver. While at the range, they had this target of a guy charging you with an ax. The idea was to load your pistol, bring it up and fire before the target hit you in the face...signifying that you had been hit by the ax and are now dead. My dad told me that they young guys would try and load all six bullets before firing, but they would always run out of time. The idea was to load two, fire, then load the other four and fire those. Most of the older guys did that as well

My point is, I think as time goes on Burmi's sense of awareness and common sense, for lack of a better word, will only get better and we'll see alot less mistakes from him.

I'm not sure if that makes sense or not though.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:08 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Another thing that's worth touching on, is that he's probably not done growing yet...mentally or physically. He's only going to get stronger and have better hockey iq as time goes by(to a point). Anyone that ha ever done manual labor with anyone under the age of 24 will know what I mean. A lot of time, the more youthful mind doesn't always immediately grasp the bet way to accomplish the task at hand(some of this is just plain experience).

My father was a police officer for many years with the city of Winnipeg, and when he instructed at the police academy he always told me that it was next to impossible to teach the younger guys how to room clear until after they had done it 4,5, or 6 times...the older guys seemed to get it quicker. This also holds true for another test they did. Back in the day, the police department used a six shot revolver. While at the range, they had this target of a guy charging you with an ax. The idea was to load your pistol, bring it up and fire before the target hit you in the face...signifying that you had been hit by the ax and are now dead. My dad told me that they young guys would try and load all six bullets before firing, but they would always run out of time. The idea was to load two, fire, then load the other four and fire those. Most of the older guys did that as well

My point is, I think as time goes on Burmi's sense of awareness and common sense, for lack of a better word, will only get better and we'll see alot less mistakes from him.

I'm not sure if that makes sense or not though.
I think I get what you're trying to say. You want Burmi to pull a Last Boy Scout?

Old
01-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Bob E

Zajac also played with Parise when he had his 60+ pt years, that has to have some impact, too.

Meaning... Burmi or Scheif might be playing with someone, ah, not as skilled or offensively-gifted as Parise. That may impact their pt numbers.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:20 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Sorry... I wasn't meaning anything by it if that's what you thought. Just was extending the thought.
No worries at all , I just believe it is important to have real ages when discussing young players . It matters and while I see Burmistrov's assets and skills I am one that has not seen him put that talent "together" in a real meaningful way . Flashes yes , but he reminds me of so many players I have seen that do that but to no true difference level.

He may yet do that , and I hope he does , and he may also become a bottom 6 player and contribute there , because he does display very good defensive awareness.

IMO anyone counting on top 6 minutes is open for dissapointment , that may happen , but nothing I have seen , so far , leads me to believe that will occur. Just my long hockey experience view though.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:28 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Oh for sure. I made a boo boo. He is 21 now, but the comparison was based on NHL numbers from last year, so it still works.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:37 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
I think I get what you're trying to say. You want Burmi to pull a Last Boy Scout?

Yes. That's exactly why I'm saying.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:41 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Zajac also played with Parise when he had his 60+ pt years, that has to have some impact, too.

Meaning... Burmi or Scheif might be playing with someone, ah, not as skilled or offensively-gifted as Parise. That may impact their pt numbers.
Zajac is a good player but he played great with praise and langenbrunner and I think burmi would have more points with those line mates as well.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:38 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Off the current topic:

Rob Volman has extrapolated a new statistic he calls "passes"... for those wondering how it works:
Quote:
Since shots can be an effective way to track a player's goal-generating performance in a way that's independent of his shooting luck, let's define a sister statistic called "passes", which is the number of passes that directly resulted in shots (you can call them "shot assists" if you want). Unlike shots, this statistic isn't tracked by the NHL, but we can create an estimate by dividing a player's assists by the average number of assists per goal (1.7) and then dividing that by the average on-ice shooting percentage of his linemates. This approach, which could admittedly be further refined by separating out power play time, should provide a decent estimate of how many of the player's passes resulted in shots on goal.
The results didn't really tickle my fancy or surprise me... what was more fun to look at was the pass-to-shot ratio leaders and the shot-to-pass ratio leaders...

Pass-to-shot leaders
Henrik Sedin
Joe Thornton
David Desharnais
Alex Tanguay
Kyle Wellwood
Nicklas Backstrom
Marcus Johansson
Jussi Jokinen
Ryan Getzlaf
Mike Ribeiro

Shot-to-pass leaders
Mike Santorelli
Rene Bourque
Sean Bergenheim
Eric Nystrom
Jeff Carter
Jim Slater
Jason Blake
Patric Hornqvist
David Clarkson
David Dorsett

Really interesting that some if the famous puck hogs aren't on this list... although I have one theory that this is because is affected by assists than true "passes"... example: a lot of EKane's assists come from Wellwood picking up EKane's rebounds.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:49 PM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

vCash: 50
In other words Evander creates mass chaos in the offensive zone if Wellwood can walk in and score like that.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:12 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
In other words Evander creates mass chaos in the offensive zone if Wellwood can walk in and score like that.
Pretty much.

I will doing some more analysis of those numbers in an upcoming AIH post. Evander is definitely creating opportunities be it via pass or rebounds. Gotta love it.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:17 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Pretty much.

I will doing some more analysis of those numbers in an upcoming AIH post. Evander is definitely creating opportunities be it via pass or rebounds. Gotta love it.
I could text you but my cell is in my bedroom...
Did you grab the raw data?
http://www.hockeyabstract.com/testim.../passes2009-12

EDIT:
grabbed cell... texted you

Last edited by garret9: 01-05-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old
01-06-2013, 01:57 PM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9&postcount=30

Do we have any interest in MDZ? I have to say I'm not fully educated on him, but I know his stock rose tremendously last season.

Potential D:

Enstrom - Byfuglien
MDZ - Bogosian
Hainsey - Trouba
Stuart as the 7th

Old
01-06-2013, 02:03 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9&postcount=30

Do we have any interest in MDZ? I have to say I'm not fully educated on him, but I know his stock rose tremendously last season.

Potential D:

Enstrom - Byfuglien
MDZ - Bogosian
Hainsey - Trouba
Stuart as the 7th
Don't know if we could afford that 7 but looks pretty to me!

Old
01-06-2013, 02:25 PM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

I don't think it's much above the league average. I assumed Trouba will join us next year. I can see Hainsey and Stuart being used as stop gaps, but I also see them signing cheap contracts in the future. Rumors are New York wants to sign MDZ on the cheap for 3 years. Less than $2.5 million.

The way I look at it Hainsey and Bogosian will probably swap salaries next year (4.5 and 2.5). That puts the above core of 7 players around $24 million including Troubas ELC. There are lots of teams floating around this number, and the Flyers are around $28 million for their D core.

The worst thing that could happen is Bogosian and MDZ really step it up over the next 2-3 (beyond 2013-2014 season) years and need 6+ million. Then we'd be spending close to $24 million on the top four, plus at that time Trouba would be coming off of his ELC. But considering we'd have four premium veteran offensive D, that's a good problem to have.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:40 PM
sully1410

Quote:
I don't think it's much above the league average. I assumed Trouba will join us next year. I can see Hainsey and Stuart being used as stop gaps, but I also see them signing cheap contracts in the future. Rumors are New York wants to sign MDZ on the cheap for 3 years. Less than $2.5 million.

The way I look at it Hainsey and Bogosian will probably swap salaries next year (4.5 and 2.5). That puts the above core of 7 players around $24 million including Troubas ELC. There are lots of teams floating around this number, and the Flyers are around $28 million for their D core.

The worst thing that could happen is Bogosian and MDZ really step it up over the next 2-3 (beyond 2013-2014 season) years and need 6+ million. Then we'd be spending close to $24 million on the top four, plus at that time Trouba would be coming off of his ELC. But considering we'd have four premium veteran offensive D, that's a good problem to have.

If that were to happen(or Edler) you win Stanley cups with that D core

Old
01-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Huffer

vCash: 590
Quote:

I don't think Trouba is on the team next year to be honest. He had a great junior tournament, but I can really see him going back to Michigan for another year at least.

If Hainsey wants to stay, I agree that Hainsey and Bogo's salaries are going to have to be swapped (maybe not exactly, but in principle).

Also, are the salary benchmarks going forward going to change with the new CBA?

As for the trade, even though I think we could use more of a big and tough defensive D to pair with Bogo, and even though I don't like trading 1st round picks, I would make that deal under the assumption that our pick was in the 20's, and that the + along with Postma wasn't something big.

When Trouba was on the team in a few years, a core of Bogo, MDZ, and Trouba, along with Enstrom and Buff would be playoff run caliber IMO.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:14 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I don't think Trouba is on the team next year to be honest. He had a great junior tournament, but I can really see him going back to Michigan for another year at least.

If Hainsey wants to stay, I agree that Hainsey and Bogo's salaries are going to have to be swapped (maybe not exactly, but in principle).

As for the trade, even though I think we could use more of a big and tough defensive D to pair with Bogo, and even though I don't like trading 1st round picks, I would make that deal under the assumption that our pick was in the 20's, and that the + along with Postma wasn't something big.

When Trouba was on the team in a few years, a core of Bogo, MDZ, and Trouba, along with Enstrom and Buff would be playoff run caliber IMO.
Buff, Toby, Bogo, MDZ and Trouba would be amazing. Who wouldn't want 5 top pairing defenders?

Old
01-06-2013, 05:32 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post

I now have a bigger problem with trading firsts, the way that the lottery works is that a team between picks one and fourteen has a shot at the first overall. Not just the four spots...legit 1st overall.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Daddy Longlegs

Hammer Slammer suggested we continue with the "Trade Kane" bad-mouthing on this sticky.

....... I'm in.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:00 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Longlegs View Post
Hammer Slammer suggested we continue with the "Trade Kane" bad-mouthing on this sticky.

....... I'm in.
I'm out. Not gonna waste my time with that topic anymore.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Tintin's Ghost

I hope Kane makes it rain in Winnipeg for years to come.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:06 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 4785
Quote:
I'm out. Not gonna waste my time with that topic anymore.
Same here.

That topic is beyond beaten to death.

Closed Thread