HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part X)

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Ladd does it occasionally and Kane does it only if he can get by the three defenders in front of him (my biggest knock on Kane). I see both as more of a top-of-the-circle threat.

Horns just camps out in front and collects garbage goals. His setback, however, is his puck skills are certainly not that of Ladd or Kane.
To me, "Horns" is exactly what is needed in the Jets top 6 at RW, playing on a line not the same as Ladd. A solid, two-way grinding winger with some grit and scoring ability.

Imo, Ladd is one of the few Jets forwards that will stand in front of the net and create a little havoc. He does get a few greasy ones from there, but i agree, his quick wrister from the top-of-the-circle seems to be his shot of choice.

If the Jets want to keep the LLW line together, then a Kane/Scheifele/Hornqvist line looks very nice to me, as well.

Now to get a player like Hornqvist, i might give up either Buff OR Burmi, but only if there is someone ready to take Buff's minutes. Bogo might be able to step into a top pairing role, but that leaves a gap in the 2nd pairing. Trouba is still at least 2 yrs away, imo, from being ready to take 2nd pairing minutes.

If the Jets can find a player like Hornqvist in the draft, that may be a better route. But i do like a player like Hornqvist.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:48 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
To me, "Horns" is exactly what is needed in the Jets top 6 at RW, playing on a line not the same as Ladd. A solid, two-way grinding winger with some grit and scoring ability.

Imo, Ladd is one of the few Jets forwards that will stand in front of the net and create a little havoc. He does get a few greasy ones from there, but i agree, his quick wrister from the top-of-the-circle seems to be his shot of choice.

If the Jets want to keep the LLW line together, then a Kane/Scheifele/Hornqvist line looks very nice to me, as well.

Now to get a player like Hornqvist, i might give up either Buff OR Burmi, but only if there is someone ready to take Buff's minutes. Bogo might be able to step into a top pairing role, but that leaves a gap in the 2nd pairing. Trouba is still at least 2 yrs away, imo, from being ready to take 2nd pairing minutes.

If the Jets can find a player like Hornqvist in the draft, that may be a better route. But i do like a player like Hornqvist.
Lowry, Kosmachuk and Olsen score all of their goals from those dirty areas. Hopefully one of them can develop into a top 6 forward. I am not sure it is a requirement for Kane / Scheifele to work, but it could happen.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 3585
Why is everyone still wanting to adjust the offense?

Our offense was fine, the defense and goaltending were horrid.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:31 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Why is everyone still wanting to adjust the offense?

Our offense was fine, the defense and goaltending were horrid.
Yup. 12th in scoring, 25th in GA. Some of the additions on F being talked about will help in the GA department though.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:38 PM
scelaton

Quote:

When Horns was Burmi's age he was still playing in Sweden. No way I would give up Burmi for him--too much upside potential- and because it would cost more than that to make the trade.
As for Buff, I have been a critic, but I think he could command a much bigger price on the trade market than Horni. This board has been understandably cautious about draft choices, but look at the top 10 players available this coming year...and salivate. Imagine if we had 2 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Lowry, Kosmachuk and Olsen score all of their goals from those dirty areas. Hopefully one of them can develop into a top 6 forward. I am not sure it is a requirement for Kane / Scheifele to work, but it could happen.
I see all three of the above as being long shots for top 6. I am not trying to justify a Wilson trade, but he is much more likely to have that rare skill set required to make top-6 in the NHL in the next few years IMO.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:18 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
I see all three of the above as being long shots for top 6. I am not trying to justify a Wilson trade, but he is much more likely to have that rare skill set required to make top-6 in the NHL in the next few years IMO.
I agree, but there is an outside chance. Sometimes you get lucky.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Yup. 12th in scoring, 25th in GA. Some of the additions on F being talked about will help in the GA department though.
I agree.

But when we're discussing trading one of our best defenseman (Enstrom) for forward help it doesn't make much sense at all to me.

Especially when Enstrom scores at a similar level to a forward like Hornqvist.

Even moving Byfuglien in a similar scenario doesn't make much sense either.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:42 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Quote:
I agree.

But when we're discussing trading one of our best defenseman (Enstrom) for forward help it doesn't make much sense at all to me.

Especially when Enstrom scores at a similar level to a forward like Hornqvist.

Even moving Byfuglien in a similar scenario doesn't make much sense either.
Hey, I'm with you: I'm all for building from the D out, and rolling multiple "balanced" forward lines. I'd rather have 3 lines with some 20-30 goal scorers sprinkled throughout, than a few "elite" forwards - too easy to shut down.

For instance: Stamkos is a beast, but that didn't help Tampa much last year. They barely finished ahead of the Jets.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Not a requirement, just a nice to have... maybe.

I would love to see an elite two-way forward either be acquired or drafted - a la Hossa or Loui Eriksson. Perhaps one of our picks (already picked or picked this year) becomes that, who knows.

I like Hornqvist's game of causing havoc in the crease, scoring dirty goals - a la Holmstrom-lite. That's a style that wins on the road and at home. To me, that's the biggest problem with Jets. The fans had them revved up at home, but they were far to easy to play against on the road. I'd like to see a little more sandpaper and dirty goals.

Now should we trade Buff or Burmi to get that type of player, maybe not, but i think that's an element we miss.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Hey, I'm with you: I'm all for building from the D out, and rolling multiple "balanced" forward lines. I'd rather have 3 lines with some 20-30 goal scorers sprinkled throughout, than a few "elite" forwards - too easy to shut down.

For instance: Stamkos is a beast, but that didn't help Tampa much last year. They barely finished ahead of the Jets.
I'm right there with you on that.

I also wasn't directing my whole last post at you. I was just making an observation and adding my $0.02 about some of the past posts in this thread.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 3140
Quote:
I like Hornqvist's game of causing havoc in the crease, scoring dirty goals - a la Holmstrom-lite. That's a style that wins on the road and at home. To me, that's the biggest problem with Jets. The fans had them revved up at home, but they were far to easy to play against on the road. I'd like to see a little more sandpaper and dirty goals.

Now should we trade Buff or Burmi to get that type of player, maybe not, but i think that's an element we miss.
They already have that player in the pipeline in Lowry; he literally lives in the crease, seems to relish that role in fact.

Take advantage of the WHLFree2012 code and order the Broncos game tonight on http://whl.neulion.com/whl/.

Whenever the puck is on the point in the other team's end... the first thing Lowry does is plant his gigantic ass directly in front of the goalie and battle for garbage goals. He competes - hard.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:28 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Having no 3rd line, a below average NHL goalie (statistically), only 3 top 4 D men due to 78 lost man games, and transitioning systems from Atlanta's run and gun all led to a poor defensive record.

having Poni Antro and Burmi/Cormier/Wellwood playing tough minutes as our 3rd line will go a long way to helping our defense out IMHO

Old
12-29-2012, 08:23 PM
scelaton

Quote:

I agree with this also, that is, building from the goalie and D on out.
OTH, the Jets need to be open to any trade that will get the team to its ultimate goal, which may mean parting with a talented player we have bonded with. You have to give up quality to get quality.
Our D is looking relatively deep and we will start getting more overtures from interested teams. So, it will be interesting to contemplate what we would be willing to part with to acquire a great forward, an awesome prospect, a top-5 (to 10) draft pick, or a combo of the above.
Any thoughts?

Old
12-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
They already have that player in the pipeline in Lowry; he literally lives in the crease, seems to relish that role in fact.

Take advantage of the WHLFree2012 code and order the Broncos game tonight on http://whl.neulion.com/whl/.

Whenever the puck is on the point in the other team's end... the first thing Lowry does is plant his gigantic ass directly in front of the goalie and battle for garbage goals. He competes - hard.
Good to hear, Gump. Liking the kid more and more.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Good to hear, Gump. Liking the kid more and more.
I hope no one took my advice and grabbed the game online.

Lowry has played well but the Broncos are getting no help from the bottom three lines. The Tigers have basically checked the Broncos' number one unit into the ground tonight after allowing them to walk all over them last night. As stated, Lowry has played alright but this game isn't very representative of his previous ten games or so. Good effort but it isn't showing up on the scoresheet and the game itself is kind of choppy and lacking of any flow.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:48 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Gump: yeah, not the Bronco's best outing. Also looked like they were double shifting Lowry, to no avail.

Huge faceoff with a 6 on 4, and their centre blew it, then the d-man couldn't keep the puck in - SH EN goal.

Hahaha! And now the announcers are talking about some player suffering from diarrhea - I'm sure he'll be happy to know that ailment was broadcast.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Hahaha! And now the announcers are talking about some player suffering from diarrhea - I'm sure he'll be happy to know that ailment was broadcast.

Perhaps that explains his off night.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Zhamnov10

Any one have any thoughts on the 2013 free agents.with a lowered cap I wonder if we would have a chance at some high end free agents.Corey Perry would look nice alongside Scheifele and Kane

Old
01-01-2013, 07:15 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov10 View Post
Any one have any thoughts on the 2013 free agents.with a lowered cap I wonder if we would have a chance at some high end free agents.Corey Perry would look nice alongside Scheifele and Kane
Forwards:
http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?...F&fa_type_id=2

Defence:
http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?...D&fa_type_id=2

Personally I would like for 2013:
*extend Bogosian, Little, Burmistrov, and Wheeler
*re-sign Ponikarovsky and Wellwood for same/similar deal
*attempt re-sign Antropov to Ponikarovsky like deal (bit more $ as offensive value > defensive value when it comes to contracts) and/or re-sign Wellwood for same/similar deal
*sign youngish C/RW (X) who can either take 2-way tough minutes with Ladd and Little
* sign youngish D (Y) who can play left side and PK and beat tough minutes

Start of the year with:
Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler
Ladd-Little/X-Little/X
Poni-Slater-Burmi
Antro/Welly-Scheifele-Machacek
Cormier

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Y/Hainsey-Bogosian
Y/Hainsey-Stuart
Postma/Redmond

Then as Scheifele get's accustomed push him up the charts.

Summary...
I want us to sign an upgrade on Wellwood and Hainsey... but try to keep those guys at a reasonable price if possible.

Old
01-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Sweech
COYS!

I'd love to take a big run at trying to sign Ladislav Smid out of Edmonton. He'd be the perfect defense first, left-handed defenseman that we need.

If the cap does indeed go down, I think our chances get a little bit better.

Old
01-01-2013, 07:38 PM
JetsHomer

I think we have a legit shot of landing Zajac. Then we can use him as center and Little as #2 rw. If he doesn't resign in New Jersey, I think he'd want to come here.

Old
01-01-2013, 07:49 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I think we have a legit shot of landing Zajac. Then we can use him as center and Little as #2 rw. If he doesn't resign in New Jersey, I think he'd want to come here.
Honest to goodness... that would be a tough minute offensive line like no other in the NHL, IMHO...

You could just give the Wellwood/Sedin treatment to Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler and our home record (last change) would be great. Plus hard to match.
Plus if we could steal Smid!!
I want it so bad :'(

Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler
Ladd-Zajac-Little
Poni-Slater-Burmi
Welly-Scheif/Antro-Machacek

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Smid-Bogosian
Hainsey-Stuart

I may be a bit homer but I could see a cup with that team give a little luck at the right time and getting hot (ie: if Pavs pulled off last seasons December in the playoffs).

Old
01-01-2013, 08:17 PM
meedle

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Honest to goodness... that would be a tough minute offensive line like no other in the NHL, IMHO...

You could just give the Wellwood/Sedin treatment to Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler and our home record (last change) would be great. Plus hard to match.
Plus if we could steal Smid!!
I want it so bad :'(

Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler
Ladd-Zajac-Little
Poni-Slater-Burmi
Welly-Scheif/Antro-Machacek

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Smid-Bogosian
Hainsey-Stuart

I may be a bit homer but I could see a cup with that team give a little luck at the right time and getting hot (ie: if Pavs pulled off last seasons December in the playoffs).
Hainsey isn't going to be here long.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Zhamnov10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I would love Zajac but I play hockey with his cousin and he says he has no interest in playing hockey in Winnipeg says he loves the city but he enjoys his privacy even more but you never know money talks!

Old
01-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Zhamnov10

Quote:
I'd love to take a big run at trying to sign Ladislav Smid out of Edmonton. He'd be the perfect defense first, left-handed defenseman that we need.

If the cap does indeed go down, I think our chances get a little bit better.
Big smid fan also but I can't see Edmonton letting him go they actually need another one of him to shore up there defence

Closed Thread