HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: the continuing saga ...

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 10:30 PM
palindrom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
I'm confused why put Quick in that list. Yes he is at 1.8.. for 1 more season until his cap hit (5.8) surpasses Luongos. You can shoot for sub 2M goaltending but the chances of that guy being a Conn-Smythe winning, elite calibre goalie are slim.
Ward (2006) won the Conn Smythe with a salary of 684 000$

Giguere (2003) won the Conn Smythe with a salary of 900 000$

in the past 10 years 30% of the Conn Smythe winner was cheap paid goalie.

As i said before, Going with Quick was a choice (Gamble) by Los Angeles. Some years ago they could have choose to sign a high paid, long term contract goalie relegating Quick as a backup and doing pay cut elsewhere to allow them to have this goalie. (look like the strategy Vancouver did!)

But i have to admit, this gamble didn't work with Garon

Old
12-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Man that was fun. I love disproving you guys. You made it too easy though. Thanks for playing.
I guess if base so much importance on last year stats, the Kulemin would just be a throw in.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:47 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
I JUST WANT BJUGSTAD
see the problem with that is he wouldn't be a Leaf and he needs to be a Leaf this is where he belongs

Old
12-04-2012, 10:50 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
To get your normal apostrophe back, press control + shift and test out if you've got the right one. You'll get `` ' fun fact.

You'll need the apostrophe for when you explain why Brodeur, Halak, Kiprusoff, Fleury, and Miller are better goaltenders than Luongo.
By far the best thing to come out of these threads! Thanks RM

Old
12-04-2012, 10:54 PM
StringerBell

Question for Palindrom,

If you were Lombardi what would you have done with Quick this offseason? Re-sign your Conn Smythe winner or trade him away?

Old
12-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Brody
$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If they weren't a good idea, no teams would give them out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
To cap ceiling teams I see the value in having an elite player with a lower than normal cap hit. Some people are just too closed minded to think this way.
Luongo is the most clutch goalie in the league, never shaken up and can totally handle the pressure and media. He plays exceptionally well against one of Toronto's biggest rivals in Boston. Also, that contract is amazing, goes until he's what? 43 years old? That's nothing, look at how low the caphit will be! We can totally trade him for idk.. An all star + top six fwd prospect + top 10 first in like 5 years, which is what you are suggesting now. Especially considering the package he got when he was in his prime and won a Hart trophy with Florida, who was that stud he brought back? Bryan Allen, oh man is he good.

Sorry guys, I was mistaken. Here is my new proposal.

To Vancouver:
Phil Kessel
Joffrey Lupul
Nazem Kadri
1st in 2013

To Toronto:
Roberto Luongo

Added Kessel to your proposal as well, just wasn't enough going to Vancouver imo.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Lupul - Kesler - Kessel

Looks solid.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:07 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Question for Palindrom,

If you were Lombardi what would you have done with Quick this offseason? Re-sign your Conn Smythe winner or trade him away?
Lombardi took a gamble, since he signed Quick without having a new CBA in place.

But he kinda had the hand tied. Quick was going to become an UFA... (different than Price).

So the question to sign him at 5 700 00$ or not become an easy one, as a GM he should ask himself : at 5 700 000$ does Quick have positive value on the trade market: would other teams be willing to give us asset to acquire him at this price tag or not?

i believe in the current NHL market he does have positive value (but the next CBA could affect his value, positively or negatively), so you dont let him walk away if he is willing to sign with you, but you keep open the option to trade him later. (no NTC, or a limited one)

Also i would not trade him away as long as he is under a 1 800 000$ contract.

Also you can be certain if i was Phoenix GM summer 2011 i would had let Bryzgalov walk away and sign a cheap UFA. The difference here is Quick still had another year at a cheap contract and i believe they gave him under the $ Quick could have signed as UFA. (but as i said its a Gamble as the new CBA could change many thing.)

Last edited by palindrom: 12-04-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 11:11 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Question for Palindrom,

Trade him for sure.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Luongo is the most clutch goalie in the league, never shaken up and can totally handle the pressure and media. He plays exceptionally well against one of Toronto's biggest rivals in Boston. Also, that contract is amazing, goes until he's what? 43 years old? That's nothing, look at how low the caphit will be! We can totally trade him for idk.. An all star + top six fwd prospect + top 10 first in like 5 years, which is what you are suggesting now. Especially considering the package he got when he was in his prime and won a Hart trophy with Florida, who was that stud he brought back? Bryan Allen, oh man is he good.

Sorry guys, I was mistaken. Here is my new proposal.

To Vancouver:
Phil Kessel
Joffrey Lupul
Nazem Kadri
1st in 2013

To Toronto:
Roberto Luongo

Added Kessel to your proposal as well, just wasn't enough going to Vancouver imo.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Lupul - Kesler - Kessel

Looks solid.
Sarcasm does not answer any of the points we made. Luongo had only a year left on his deal and returned a power forward comig off a 70 point season++.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:18 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Sarcasm does not answer any of the points we made. Luongo had only a year left on his deal and returned a power forward comig off a 70 point season++.
who also happened to had only a year left on his deal.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:18 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
Six years ago...

and it was Mike Keenan who has a pretty big crush on Bertuzzi

Old
12-04-2012, 11:25 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Have to love "similar stats" is used for every goalie Luongo actually beat. What I find more amusing is how having a better contract somehow makes you a better player.
owned

12-04-2012, 11:28 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Lombardi took a gamble, since he signed Quick without having a new CBA in place.

But he kinda had the hand tied. Quick was going to become an UFA... (different than Price).

So the question to sign him at 5 700 00$ or not become an easy one, as a GM he should ask himself : at 5 700 000$ does Quick have positive value on the trade market: would other teams be willing to give us asset to acquire him at this price tag or not?

i believe in the current NHL market he does have positive value (but the next CBA could affect his value, positively or negatively), so you dont let him walk away if he is willing to sign with you, but you keep open the option to trade him later. (no NTC, or a limited one)

Also i would not trade him away as long as he is under a 1 800 000$ contract.

Also you can be certain if i was Phoenix GM summer 2011 i would had let Bryzgalov walk away and sign a cheap UFA. The difference here is Quick still had another year at a cheap contract and i believe they gave him under the $ Quick could have signed as UFA. (but as i said its a Gamble as the new CBA could change many thing.)
So sign him to the extension, wait a year till it kicks in, and then trade him if he still has positive value?

Old
12-04-2012, 11:33 PM
palindrom

Quote:
So sign him to the extension, wait a year till it kicks in, and then trade him if he still has positive value?
it will depends on the new CBA really.

But under the last CBA, this would be my main plan, while being always open to other options according to different variable (as Quick performance, his locker influence, the goalie trade market, my option for a new starter etc..)

Last edited by palindrom: 12-04-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 11:37 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Not sure what's going on in this thread, but earlier some were talking about Millard's reports or the rumour he's generated. In October Cox mentioned that trade talks included with Bozak being the centrepiece..Take it for what it's worth.

I don't think Burke's parting with that 1st round pick, but we will see.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post

To Vancouver:
Phil Kessel
Joffrey Lupul
Nazem Kadri
1st in 2013

To Toronto:
Roberto Luongo
Still need to add more, I don't like Kadri as a prospect and Lupul is an injury-prone player who is on the final year of his contract. Luongo would bring the Leafs to the playoffs, making it a later round pick but if you could flip us two, I'd take it. We don't really need offensive prospects either, so let's take out Kadri and put in Reilly. How about Kessel, Grabovski, Reilly and the 1st in 2013 + 1st in 2014? Bottom-20 protected of course.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:56 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

I can't wait for this deal to be done I think people on both sides will be PISSED at the return

Old
12-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Deen

vCash: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Still need to add more, I don't like Kadri as a prospect and Lupul is an injury-prone player who is on the final year of his contract. Luongo would bring the Leafs to the playoffs, making it a later round pick but if you could flip us two, I'd take it. We don't really need offensive prospects either, so let's take out Kadri and put in Reilly. How about Kessel, Grabovski, Reilly and the 1st in 2013 + 1st in 2014? Bottom-20 protected of course.
Are you cereal?

Old
12-05-2012, 01:15 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen View Post
Are you cereal?
Absolutely. If you answer with sarcasm, that sets the tone for every reply you'll ever get. RM actually seems more reasonable with that trade offer then Brody did, who he was quoting.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:41 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Ya you can say that again! After reading this thread I really want to know and see Montreal fans reaction. Will be a breath of fresh air! Not sure they will make offer though......
Come on guys.....we can't afford Price. Would love the guy, but the cost to aquire him would devestate our roster.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Come on guys.....we can't afford Price. Would love the guy, but the cost to aquire him would devestate our roster.
It should, but it was funny to see that some were trying to make a deal for a Price with the spare parts offered for Luongo.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:17 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen View Post
Are you cereal?
Clearly. That's the price for an elite top 5 goaltender. Leafs are getting a steal

Old
12-05-2012, 07:25 AM
TieClark

I feel bad for Canucks fans... they really need some veteran fans here to settle down the young guys. They're going to get really upset when they see what the actual return will end up being.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
I feel bad for Canucks fans... they really need some veteran fans here to settle down the young guys. They're going to get really upset when they see what the actual return will end up being.
The gap is wide enough between the 2 fanbases of what we feel is fair that if a deal gets done we will all be pissed off.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:23 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
I doubt it actually. With reports that Gillis was asking for Gardiner, Frattin, Bozak, and the 5th overall pick for Luongo, I don't see Gillis dropping his price all that much. For some reason you seem to have a false sense of how this deal is going to go down, and I don't know why.

Closed Thread