HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Talk PART V

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 10:00 AM
InformTheMasses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
Strome shouldn't take 2nd line duties without proving anything. I know what to expect from Nielsen..I have zero idea what to expect from Strome. Just because he was a top 5 pick, doesn't mean he will be better than Nielsen. Strome...if he gets the nod, will most likely be doing 3rd line duties...who knows..maybe even 4th line. He has to work his way up.
In most cases '2nd liners' are 2nd scoring lines and play less minutes than the '3rd line' which is a checking line that goes against the other teams top scorers. So Nielsen would be on the ice more than Strome. 2nd and 3rd lines are often misnomers, its also one of my pet peeves. I try and say checking line and second scoring line whenever possible.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:11 AM
steveat

I always thought 4th line was the checking line. Maybe I'm just old.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:13 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Neither could Dougie Hamilton, Morgan Rielly, Xavier Ouellete, or Ryan Murphy.

I suppose none of them are nhl ready either?
All that aside, Griffin's game isn't really best suited for International ice. People getting way too down on him after an extremely small sample in a completely different environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Absolute issue, it's not ideal. And I am the guy that said Strome NEEDS a power forward like Ritchie next to him to succeed at the next level. Trouble is, i do not see anyone in the organization that is available and ready to win those battles. They are coming.... but the big forwards need time to work on that area of their game. We are lacking it as an organization and/or trying to rely on 20 year old kids to win those battles. Not Going to happen. Ultimately that's why I think Strome goes down after 5 games, but I would give it a shot.

Only option is Matt Martin, not sure how the rest of the personnel would shape up with Martin next to Strome.
I see Okposo being that power forward. He was that guy when he first came up. Showed some rust last year but started looking like that guy late in the season. Throw in his chemistry with Bailey and I think that line would have a ton of offensive upside with Strome in the middle. This is probably how I see things playing out:

Moulson - Tavares - Boyes
Bailey - Strome - Okposo
Ulstrom/Nino - Nielsen - Grabner
Martin - Reasoner - Boulton

Streit - Hamonic
Visnovsky - MacDonald
Donovan - Carkner

I expect Visnovsky to end up here. I see that 3rd line LW coming down to Ullstrom vs Nino. If Boyes struggles on that 1st line, I would guess he'd be flip-flopped with Nino/Ullstrom and move down to the 3rd line.

The biggest question mark, IMO, is what happens if Vis does not show up. I still don't think Reinhart will be considered. That said I have no idea who would, besides maybe Martinek.

One last thing: anyone know if Hamonic will be ready to go for the opener? Is he still questionable?

Old
01-10-2013, 10:17 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
All that aside, Griffin's game isn't really best suited for International ice. People getting way too down on him after an extremely small sample in a completely different environment.

I see Okposo being that power forward. He was that guy when he first came up. Showed some rust last year but started looking like that guy late in the season. Throw in his chemistry with Bailey and I think that line would have a ton of offensive upside with Strome in the middle. This is probably how I see things playing out:

Bailey - Strome - Okposo

Streit - Hamonic
Visnovsky - MacDonald
Donovan - Carkner

I expect Visnovsky to end up here. I see that 3rd line LW coming down to Ullstrom vs Nino. If Boyes struggles on that 1st line, I would guess he'd be flip-flopped with Nino/Ullstrom and move down to the 3rd line.

The biggest question mark, IMO, is what happens if Vis does not show up. I still don't think Reinhart will be considered. That said I have no idea who would, besides maybe Martinek.

One last thing: anyone know if Hamonic will be ready to go for the opener? Is he still questionable?
Don't Forget Joensuu, whom I doubt would be put on the 4th line at this point. He will be put in the top 9 somewhere to show wether or not he can translate his SEL scoring in the NHL.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Don't Forget Joensuu, whom I doubt would be put on the 4th line at this point. He will be put in the top 9 somewhere to show wether or not he can translate his SEL scoring in the NHL.
SM-Liiga scoring...

But ya, gotta think Joensuu is being seen as one of the 13 forwards on the Island.

That sounds good too in this shortened season. Let's see what Jesse has learned, since he seems to have taken a big step since his last sojourn on the Island.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:29 AM
steveat

I can't find any news on Kabanov. It's been 2.5 months since his injury...is he out for the whole season?

Old
01-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Beastrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
I can't find any news on Kabanov. It's been 2.5 months since his injury...is he out for the whole season?
He is back skating again and according to Michael Fornabaio the sound tigers beat reporter, his guess was he could be back by the end of the month or early next month.

http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...ike-fornabaio/

Old
01-10-2013, 11:40 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

Bailey - Strome - Okposo

Streit - Hamonic
Visnovsky - MacDonald
Donovan - Carkner

This is the line up that I expect minus Nino and Vis

Old
01-10-2013, 11:40 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
SM-Liiga scoring...

But ya, gotta think Joensuu is being seen as one of the 13 forwards on the Island.

That sounds good too in this shortened season. Let's see what Jesse has learned, since he seems to have taken a big step since his last sojourn on the Island.
SM-Liiga this year, SEL last year.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:04 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
This is the line up that I expect minus Nino and Vis
Could be right about Vis, although I honestly have no idea. If KHL stands by the agreement then I expect him here. Hard to tell if they will, though. If that happens, I would expect an addition to be made. Can't see any scenario where a guy like Wishart, Ness or even Reinhart start the season as Islanders.

As far as Nino goes, it's very hard to argue against him getting a fair chance to make this team. Ullstrom has the experience on him, but Nino could end up being the better option when all is said and done. I can't see them holding what happened last year against him as far as his chances go this year.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:09 PM
frankieboy

Quote:
Could be right about Vis, although I honestly have no idea. If KHL stands by the agreement then I expect him here. Hard to tell if they will, though. If that happens, I would expect an addition to be made. Can't see any scenario where a guy like Wishart, Ness or even Reinhart start the season as Islanders.

As far as Nino goes, it's very hard to argue against him getting a fair chance to make this team. Ullstrom has the experience on him, but Nino could end up being the better option when all is said and done. I can't see them holding what happened last year against him as far as his chances go this year.
The difference between Nino last year and this year is about 34 AHL games. Admittedly, his performance has helped to rebuild his confidence, but I don't think he is ready for the NHL after another 34 games of AHL development...ESPECIALLY not on the 1st line. The 3rd line would make sense IF he makes the team, but I hope they send him down unless he lights it up. We need to finally try to develop prospects as opposed to rushing them. My $.02.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:14 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

as long as Nino is on a "skilled" line and mayby gets some PP time then Im fine with himplaying for us...

My fear is

Nino-Reasoner -Boulton

Old
01-10-2013, 12:21 PM
frankieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
as long as Nino is on a "skilled" line and mayby gets some PP time then Im fine with himplaying for us...

My fear is

Nino-Reasoner -Boulton
My bigger fear is pulling the chicken out of the oven before it is done. Do any of the guys who thought he was no where near ready (and lost) last season think that he has gotten his s*** together? I think he is on his way, but I'd love to see him put a full year in down there and then come to camp next fall with intentions of making the team. Again, I'll say that he deserves to be here if he lights it up and is one of the top nine forwards. I just hope we can find nine others who are better so he can develop further.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:29 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy View Post
The difference between Nino last year and this year is about 34 AHL games. Admittedly, his performance has helped to rebuild his confidence, but I don't think he is ready for the NHL after another 34 games of AHL development...ESPECIALLY not on the 1st line. The 3rd line would make sense IF he makes the team, but I hope they send him down unless he lights it up. We need to finally try to develop prospects as opposed to rushing them. My $.02.
The difference isn't just 34 games, it's A)recovery time post-concussion, and B)confidence. I guess you could also list C)he won't be used in a "doomed-from-the-start" 4th line role if he does make the team.

Whether or not you want to call it a rush or ruining a prospect or whatever, if he looks like he can contribute more than Ullstrom or Joensuu or insert name here, he should be on the team.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:36 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
My bigger fear is pulling the chicken out of the oven before it is done. Do any of the guys who thought he was no where near ready (and lost) last season think that he has gotten his s*** together? I think he is on his way, but I'd love to see him put a full year in down there and then come to camp next fall with intentions of making the team. Again, I'll say that he deserves to be here if he lights it up and is one of the top nine forwards. I just hope we can find nine others who are better so he can develop further.
This happens a lot. Prospects who aren't expected to be ready for a certain amount of time end up getting hot at the AHL level and get promoted while their confidence is high. Look at Hamonic a few years ago. He was the same age that Nino is currently, looked great in BP and ended up getting the call. I don't think anyone thought he'd be ready going into that year, but a month or two into the season he was promoted and has been one of our top-2 defenders ever since.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:38 PM
IslandersFan17

I do not post here often, however, I wanted to ask how comfortable folks feel about burning a year of Strome's contract on a shortened season?

30 games is a decent chunk of the season to not be playing in. I understand Niagra is going nowhere fast but is there room for Strome to still be traded? Or is the OHL trade deadline over and done with?

Old
01-10-2013, 12:56 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
I do not post here often, however, I wanted to ask how comfortable folks feel about burning a year of Strome's contract on a shortened season?

30 games is a decent chunk of the season to not be playing in. I understand Niagra is going nowhere fast but is there room for Strome to still be traded? Or is the OHL trade deadline over and done with?
Either it ened at noon today or noon tomarrow, can't remember.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:04 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Either it ened at noon today or noon tomarrow, can't remember.
Well then, nevermind. I guess we just have to burn that entry level deal up earlier than anticipated. I mean, 30 games is a decent amount, would rather allow Strome to develop, despite Niagra being as bad as they are.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:04 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post

I think you have to look at it as a full NHL season, regardless of the number of games. If the Isles think he's ready to not only play at the NHL level, but to help this team compete and potentially make the playoffs, I'd say most Isles fans would be OK with it.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:06 PM
BillD

Quote:
Nino is MORE ready this year than last year. He will be a much better player if given the chance to play top 9 minutes. In other words, he will score a lot more than 1 point, and I can see him with 15-18 points in a shortened 48 game season.
But his full game is not ready. He still needs work on acceleration, stops/starts, turns, and more than anything, awareness and defense. The kid is coming, we need to be more patient with him.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:28 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
This happens a lot. Prospects who aren't expected to be ready for a certain amount of time end up getting hot at the AHL level and get promoted while their confidence is high. Look at Hamonic a few years ago. He was the same age that Nino is currently, looked great in BP and ended up getting the call. I don't think anyone thought he'd be ready going into that year, but a month or two into the season he was promoted and has been one of our top-2 defenders ever since.
Hey blinkman, I didn't follow the Sound Tigers when Hamonic was a ST, but I thought some of our fans said he was unimpressive in Bridgeport and that's what made his impressive play as an nhl rookie, such a surprise.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:46 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Hey blinkman, I didn't follow the Sound Tigers when Hamonic was a ST, but I thought some of our fans said he was unimpressive in Bridgeport and that's what made his impressive play as an nhl rookie, such a surprise.
I don't remember him lighting up the stat sheet but I remember him looking like he belonged. Physical, steady in his own zone. Looked much more experienced than a 20 year old kid.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I can tell you i never called him unimpressive but i can tell you i did not think he was ready when called up. I felt like he had not adjusted to the overall game speed and was still getting beat on the outside and was not clearing the net. Those things changed when he arrived in NY.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

I'll post this here too

Old
01-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Degeneration Rex

Thursday

Barrie 5, Mississauga 4 (SO)-Theoret, 1 assist, + 1.
Niagara 3, Owen Sound 2 (SO)-Graham, 1 assist, even.

Griffin Reinhart will play for Edmonton Friday night vs Lethbridge
then report to training camp.

Friday Night, 10 PM NBC Sports Network, College
Nebraska-Omaha at Denver (Mayfield).

Closed Thread