HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Talk PART V

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 09:36 PM
InformTheMasses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Thursday

Barrie 5, Mississauga 4 (SO)-Theoret, 1 assist, + 1.
Niagara 3, Owen Sound 2 (SO)-Graham, 1 assist, even.

Griffin Reinhart will play for Edmonton Friday night vs Lethbridge
then report to training camp.

Friday Night, 10 PM NBC Sports Network, College
Nebraska-Omaha at Denver (Mayfield).
I'm uploading both Theorets and Grahams assists on youtube tonight, right after I finish uploading Adam Pelech's highlights for the season. (Both assists tonight were nice plays).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFY...w?feature=plcp

Old
01-11-2013, 07:18 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
The difference isn't just 34 games, it's A)recovery time post-concussion, and B)confidence. I guess you could also list C)he won't be used in a "doomed-from-the-start" 4th line role if he does make the team.

Whether or not you want to call it a rush or ruining a prospect or whatever, if he looks like he can contribute more than Ullstrom or Joensuu or insert name here, he should be on the team.
what i have liked about nino is he is scoring dirty ugly goals that are a result of going to the high traffic areas and battling around the net...he'll score his pretty ones but those dirty goals translate well to him being successful at the next level

Old
01-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
SM-Liiga this year, SEL last year.
Right... I would point out however that Joensuu was having a considerably bigger offensive impact this season in Finland (25 pts in 24 gms) than last season in Sweden (29 pts in 50 gms), where he even had a 5 - or was it 7 (?) - point night in a wild 9-7 victory.

As I understood it, he was very good in a heated SEL playoff series though, and then of course decent for Finland at the men's WC, with his two goals against the US in the playoff game being the key.

I'm really curious to see how his game has developed.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:23 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Right... I would point out however that Joensuu was having a considerably bigger offensive impact this season in Finland (25 pts in 24 gms) than last season in Sweden (29 pts in 50 gms), where he even had a 5 - or was it 7 (?) - point night in a wild 9-7 victory.

As I understood it, he was very good in a heated SEL playoff series though, and then of course decent for Finland at the men's WC, with his two goals against the US in the playoff game being the key.

I'm really curious to see how his game has developed.
As am I, which is why i fairly sure they will not dump him on the 4th line.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:46 AM
kasper11

Quote:
I think the Isles know that they have a lot of questions and everyone will be given a shot. I think in the first few games, Strome will be given a top-6 role just to see if he can handle it before a decision has to be made. Other than that, given the abbreviated camp, I think the team will mix up the lines a lot the first few games to see what clicks. The only givens in the top-9 are JT, MM, KO, Nielsen, Grabner. Bailey is almost a given. Reasoner will be on the 4th line. Everyone else that makes the team will be given a shot to earn playing time.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:19 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Joensuu is definitely intriguing. I know he's developed since his stay here but whenever I think about him I just picture that big pylon skating around in an Isles sweater. I'm sure he's a different/better player now, but I want to see it before I pencil him into any spot in this lineup.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Degeneration Rex

Friday

Saginaw 4, Erie 3-Pelech, 1 assist, -1.
Guelph 3, Barrie 2-Pedan, did not play, 1st of a 2 game suspension, Theoret, 1 assist, even.
Portland 5, Spokane 2-Kichton, 1 goal (13), -1.
Edmonton 4, Lethbridge 0-Reinhart, even.
Notre Dame 1, Michigan State 0-Russo, 1 goal (5), even, Lee, even.
Denver 7, Nebraska-Omaha 4-Mayfield, 2 assists, even.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 01-12-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old
01-12-2013, 12:41 AM
malPHONEY

I'm way more excited about Joensuu than I should be.

I remember in one unrelated thread some poster just casually drops his name and says his skating is night and day.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...hlight=joensuu

Good move bringing this guy back

Old
01-12-2013, 08:38 AM
stranger34

Strome is not Nino

I was thinking about Strome's situation this morning. I was as unnerved and upset about the handling and performance of Nino last year as anyone. I am glad he seems to have found himself in the AHL.

Because of Nino's season last year, and I suppose the recent history of rushing prospects (Bailey) I was initially against giving Strome a roster spot this year.

I have reconsidered.

For one thing on the ice he may be a difference maker as he is in game shape and has been playing North American style competitive hockey all year

And

Unlike Nino who had a language barrier, I think Strome would learn more from a 48 game season as JT91's understudy - watching how he prepares, trains and executes - than anything he will experience in juniors. A shortened season with limited expectations on the kid under Taveres' tutelage could prove invaluable

Old
01-12-2013, 08:41 AM
tserberis*

I would give him a shot, he looks ready...

Old
01-12-2013, 09:42 AM
IslesNorway

I think he'll be given a shot of 5 or 6 games at least to see if he's up to it.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:14 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
I was thinking about Strome's situation this morning. I was as unnerved and upset about the handling and performance of Nino last year as anyone. I am glad he seems to have found himself in the AHL.

Because of Nino's season last year, and I suppose the recent history of rushing prospects (Bailey) I was initially against giving Strome a roster spot this year.

I have reconsidered.

For one thing on the ice he may be a difference maker as he is in game shape and has been playing North American style competitive hockey all year

And

Unlike Nino who had a language barrier, I think Strome would learn more from a 48 game season as JT91's understudy - watching how he prepares, trains and executes - than anything he will experience in juniors. A shortened season with limited expectations on the kid under Taveres' tutelage could prove invaluable
I think it will be interesting to watch, even more so now that Nelson is back. I wouldn't be surprised if Nelson wins the spot, considering he's further along in development than Strome. Who knows, though. It's possible Nelson shows some rust in camp coming back from this injury while Strome rides his year-long hot streak into camp and impresses the coaching staff/front office.

Either way, I expect our final top-9 C spot to go to either one of these two guys.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Degeneration Rex

Ville Pokka with an assist and + 2 as Karpat beat Pelicans 3-2.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 01-12-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old
01-12-2013, 10:42 AM
InformTheMasses

Pokka is the great 'mystery man' of 2012. I only saw him play 2 exhibition games....

It sure seems like he is having a really good season. These European scouts appear to be having a pretty good batting average the last few years.....

Pokka, Sundstrum, Ullstrom, Petrov, Nilsson... all show promise.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
what i have liked about nino is he is scoring dirty ugly goals that are a result of going to the high traffic areas and battling around the net...he'll score his pretty ones but those dirty goals translate well to him being successful at the next level
and he also went to the net in the NHL. Unfortunately for him his linemates were always awful. Seriously how did they not move him up to JTs line or even Nielsens during the last month of the season?

Eventhough I think he'd benefit from staying in the AHL, if he does make the jump this year, and he's put on a line with some more offensive minded players, I think he can have some success this year, because of that willingness to go to the net.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Lumisade31

This weeks 3 games Pokka played 23:32, 21:42 and 18:14 min getting 0+1 and rating +/- +4, no penalties. His team Kärpät lost one and won two games. Against Ässät (Pori ) they lost 6-3 but Pokka`s +/- was +2. Not bad. Kärpät`s next game is on tuesday and I`m going to watch that game. I´m gonna write here how Pokka plays.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:30 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumisade31 View Post
This weeks 3 games Pokka played 23:32, 21:42 and 18:14 min getting 0+1 and rating +/- +4, no penalties. His team Kärpät lost one and won two games. Against Ässät (Pori ) they lost 6-3 but Pokka`s +/- was +2. Not bad. Kärpät`s next game is on tuesday and I`m going to watch that game. I´m gonna write here how Pokka plays.
Great! Thank you.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:31 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the update. Hey, welcome to the boards too.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Thanks again, looking forward to your report.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 01-12-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 06:24 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
I see Strome's future at C, but wouldn't it make sense for him to play RW if he makes the team this year? Easier transition and marginally lesser chance of getting his clock cleaned skating thru center ice.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:30 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
I see Strome's future at C, but wouldn't it make sense for him to play RW if he makes the team this year? Easier transition and marginally lesser chance of getting his clock cleaned skating thru center ice.
I think thats what BOS did with Seguin I wouldnt mind

Old
01-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Degeneration Rex

Saturday

Barrie 5, Niagara 1-Theoret, 1 goal,(19), 1 assist, + 2, Graham, even.
Plymouth 4, Erie 3 (OT)-Pelech, -1.
Spokane 4, Kootenay 2-Kichton, 1 goal (14), 2 assists, + 1.
Michigan State 4, Notre Dame 1-Lee, 1 goal (12), even, Russo, -1.
Denver 3, Nebraska-Omaha 3 (OT)-Mayfield, 2 assists, + 2.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 01-13-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old
01-12-2013, 10:10 PM
InformTheMasses

Brenden Kichton had a great first period tonight vs Kootenay Ice. Goal and assist. Uploading right now (up in a few seconds). I'll post anything else he does.

Tonights Sound Tigers clips are up already.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFY...NbKI1V2JTUr_Aw

Old
01-13-2013, 07:54 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
I would leave him at center...on the one hand it may be an easier transition, but given the abbreviated training camp and no preseason games, it wouldn't give him time to get used to a new position. As far as I know, he has always played center. A week of camp is not a lot of time to learn to be a winger.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:14 AM
kuwo

Corey Pronman's Top 50 NHL Prospects, Midseason

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1426

Quote:
9. Ryan Strome, Center, New York Islanders (Previous Ranking: 9): Strome doesn't have much more to prove at the CHL level. He is still working on fine tuning his off-the-puck work, but from an offensive standpoint, he has been simply dominant.

28. Kirill Kabanov, Left Wing, New York Islanders (Previous Ranking: 23): It's funny that as I have gradually lowered Kabanov's ranking over the last year or so, I have started to hear NHL sources coming in at or near my level of optimism about his future. Kabanov is a very skilled player who has recently shown an increased level of competitiveness. He was injured early in the season, but should be back fairly soon.

30. Griffin Reinhart, Defense, New York Islanders (Previous Ranking: 75): I've started to come around on Reinhart, as I've liked how his mobility has improved and the high level of two-way hockey sense he displays. He did not have a good World Juniors, with one NHL exec coming away pretty unimpressed by him, but many scouts think he can be an excellent defensive player at the top level.
Also Brock Nelson as HM...

Closed Thread