HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Prospect Talk PART V

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2013, 05:53 PM
  #601
Isles Enforcer
Registered User
 
Isles Enforcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
I have watched every episode of All in the Family. That makes me funnier than you.

Landry has been better on the PP than Donovan. He's tougher too. Wishart has shown a better game than last year, and it serves the isles beter to have him playing bottom pairing minutes with the big club, while leaving Donovan to ripen in the AHL.

You should parlay all of your hockey experience watching ahl live into a GM's position.
Well said, you're a real hero. And for you're information I've been a BPT season ticket holder for 5 years so I've had first hand observations (something you obviously have no clue about) of this team. And yeah that means things you can't "see on AHL live." {MOD EDIT}

EDIT: And by the way you never answered the question. How many games have you seen? yeah I thought so.


Last edited by Homeland Security: 01-13-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Isles Enforcer is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 06:27 PM
  #602
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,442
vCash: 500
Im not sure what bluechipbonzos angle is here. I respect his opinions but it's as clear as day when watching Bridgeport Defenceman.....

There is Matt Donovan

Then there is a 3 or 4 big drops

Then there is: EVERYBODY ELSE.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 06:36 PM
  #603
CodeE
Registered User
 
CodeE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
I get bluechip's line of thinking. Even if Donovan is the best player in Bridgeport, it might be better for his development to continue to groom him in a top-2 minute-crunching AHL defenseman instead of forcing him to partner with Carkner or Wishart in bottom-6 minutes on the Island.

I don't necessarily agree with the Isles decision, but after the Nino snafu last year, it might not be the worst thing in the world to keep Donovan in the minors. Especially if, by all accounts, he's getting better and better: let him continue to grow his confidence and play with a chip on his shoulder that he has something to prove.

Assuming Lube-O doesn't come over, we've got 5 defenseman who should be locks to make opening lineup: Streit, Hammer, AMac, Marty, Carkner. Let this Landry guy and Wishart battle it out for the 6th-7th position, while Donovan continues to develop with top-pairing minutes in the minors.

CodeE is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 06:55 PM
  #604
Menwithouthat tricks
Registered User
 
Menwithouthat tricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 343
vCash: 500
I probably shouldn't get into a shooting war, I only went to one Bridgeport game, the one where Donovan scored two goals and Wishart was scoreless, and I still thought Wishart looked like the better, more NHL-ready defenseman.

Menwithouthat tricks is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 06:57 PM
  #605
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,442
vCash: 500
I guess we will find out soon enough. I hope I'm wrong. I want to see all Islander prospects succeed. I just don't think Landry has a prayer.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 07:00 PM
  #606
CodeE
Registered User
 
CodeE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Which is why it might be better for Landry to be the guy getting low minutes or the scratch, even if it's with the big club. Keep Donovan developing and if (god forbid) one of our top-4 defenseman gets injured, then you call Donovan up to get decent minutes.

CodeE is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 07:05 PM
  #607
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,442
vCash: 500
CodE I see your point and that's fine, I just don't see it as fair to the kid. I'm guessing he'll have the last laugh. Hey Bridgeport is playing against the Islanders Wed in a scrimmage.... Should be fun.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 09:02 PM
  #608
bluechipbonzo
Registered User
 
bluechipbonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,310
vCash: 500
Donovan is going to be an NHLer, and a good one. I think they want to see him dominate at both ends of the ice instead of sitting on the pine during the Isles' powerplays...if this were an 82 game season, maybe you could bring him along...as a 5th or 6th defenseman in a shortened season, why stunt his growth? Besides, it's not like landry or wishart are locks to make the team just because they were invited. That's silly. They need bodies in nassau for reps and practice too. Throws these two vets a carrot, like macdonald. I suspect we'll see donovan before long anyway, if he keeps producing like he did tonight. Needs to stay out of the box though.

bluechipbonzo is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 09:32 PM
  #609
rikker
Registered User
 
rikker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,802
vCash: 500
we will never know what is the best course of action, because we will only see one scenario play out.

maybe donovan and ness played so well tonight, because they are motivated? a good thing, maybe? they feel like they have to work their way onto the big club? if that's the case, then i say let them keep playing motivated!

and, you never know if someone older (Landry, Wishart, McDonald) will finally 'get it'. it's not unheard of. late bloomers.

it may be a matter of being physically ready too. give Donovan and Ness, neither considered 'large', another year to grow.

rikker is online now  
Old
01-13-2013, 10:46 PM
  #610
leaponover
Registered User
 
leaponover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,028
vCash: 500
Not to mention if we call up Donovan we could possibly hurt at chances at Mackinnon/Jones and no way do we want to mess that up!!

leaponover is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:29 AM
  #611
seafoam
#Sharks2014
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Posts: 31,351
vCash: 2049
Do players get paid during camp? Maybe the Isles want to give the veterans a nice NHL paycheck for a week.

seafoam is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 03:02 AM
  #612
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
With Visnovsky in Slovakia. There are 8 Defenceman on the training camp roster... including Griffin Reinhart and Jon Landry. JON LANDRY.

I'm so angry for Donovan right now. Anybody that watched 1 single Bridgeport game can understand this frustration.
Poor kid has to grow, evolve, refine his game further and cement his status as an NHL player in the AHL on a regular schedule with top minutes instead of play a condensed schedule in the pro's on the third pairing and risk getting hurt. Poor guy.

He could have lucked out and been on an Isles team a few years ago as Gervaise's linemate, been rushed, not developed and hung out to dry like any normal Isles prospect.

So unfortunate they choose older players they're not counting on for the future.

OlTimeHockey is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 05:13 AM
  #613
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,442
vCash: 500
Ha, OTH you must forget that I'm in the 'let the kids develop camp. Donovan was drafted 4 and a half years ago. Since then he played an additional year of USHL. Played 2 seasons at NCAA.... WOn a gold medal at WJC U20 tourney and played a year and a half at the AHL, where he clearly was the best defenceman on the team including 2 other guys who got call-ups.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 06:30 AM
  #614
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 1,444
vCash: 500
Color me confused, I know I don't have a dog in this fight seeing as how I don't post much here. However, in one breath people discuss how often we rush and ruin prospects and in the next are calling for heads when certain specs don't get the call up.

The one thing I am always told around draft time is how long it takes for defenders to develop. Also am told how you never want to rattle a young players confidence.

If Donovan is going to get more minutes, in all situations, and is playing well, why throw a wrench in that? This is a shortened season to begin with, allow Donovan to keep refining his game. If the situation calls for it barring injury or a losing record at the end of the year, then call the kid up and let him get a taste of the NHL.

IslandersFan17 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 07:39 AM
  #615
luki here
Registered User
 
luki here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
Well said, you're a real hero. And for you're information I've been a BPT season ticket holder for 5 years so I've had first hand observations (something you obviously have no clue about) of this team. And yeah that means things you can't "see on AHL live." {MOD EDIT}

EDIT: And by the way you never answered the question. How many games have you seen? yeah I thought so.
its not requirement to have watched BPT live in order to post on this website. Take it easy!

luki here is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 08:57 AM
  #616
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,708
vCash: 500
Wednesday Night, 7 PM, NHL Network

CHL Top Prospects Game.

Degeneration Rex is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 10:10 AM
  #617
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders
 
PROMputt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: East Islip, LI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Color me confused, I know I don't have a dog in this fight seeing as how I don't post much here. However, in one breath people discuss how often we rush and ruin prospects and in the next are calling for heads when certain specs don't get the call up.

The one thing I am always told around draft time is how long it takes for defenders to develop. Also am told how you never want to rattle a young players confidence.

If Donovan is going to get more minutes, in all situations, and is playing well, why throw a wrench in that? This is a shortened season to begin with, allow Donovan to keep refining his game. If the situation calls for it barring injury or a losing record at the end of the year, then call the kid up and let him get a taste of the NHL.
I see this type of Jekyll and Hyde posting all the time here also and I had made a comment once about it also. My only guess is that everyone is sick and tired of losing for so long that we all get impatient. I think everyone knows that letting prospects develop correctly is the right course of action. But when exactly is a prospect ready? Some sooner than others and I can look no further then Hammonic. Most thought and wrote here he was not ready, and boom he was ready. Bailey is the other end of the chart scenario that most bring up here. I personally don't think Bailey was a great pick and maybe he has really become all he was going to be? In the long run you have to trust your GM and coach and hope they know what they are doing (without interference from the owner!?!?!?)

PROMputt is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 10:16 AM
  #618
gramatanboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Westport
Country: United States
Posts: 254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
I see this type of Jekyll and Hyde posting all the time here also and I had made a comment once about it also. My only guess is that everyone is sick and tired of losing for so long that we all get impatient. I think everyone knows that letting prospects develop correctly is the right course of action. But when exactly is a prospect ready? Some sooner than others and I can look no further then Hammonic. Most thought and wrote here he was not ready, and boom he was ready. Bailey is the other end of the chart scenario that most bring up here. I personally don't think Bailey was a great pick and maybe he has really become all he was going to be? In the long run you have to trust your GM and coach and hope they know what they are doing (without interference from the owner!?!?!?)
Exactly Right!! well said!!

gramatanboy is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 10:19 AM
  #619
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,859
vCash: 500
I don't understand the whole Donovan argument. Whether or not he makes the team, he should have a chance to compete in camp. It's ridiculous to give a chance to Reinhart as opposed to a player who has been leading your AHL franchise for two years.

I assume the Islanders have addressed this with Donovan, and made their reasoning clear. (Perhaps they do know exactly what they have in him, and have told him not to worry. That's my guess.) Because if they don't, they will kill their relationship with the player.

And just by a count of numbers, I don't there's any chance Donovan, if healthy, isn't suiting up a majority of games for the big club.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 10:34 AM
  #620
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I don't understand the whole Donovan argument. Whether or not he makes the team, he should have a chance to compete in camp. It's ridiculous to give a chance to Reinhart as opposed to a player who has been leading your AHL franchise for two years.

I assume the Islanders have addressed this with Donovan, and made their reasoning clear. (Perhaps they do know exactly what they have in him, and have told him not to worry. That's my guess.) Because if they don't, they will kill their relationship with the player.

And just by a count of numbers, I don't there's any chance Donovan, if healthy, isn't suiting up a majority of games for the big club.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Dan-o, you're are trying to make sense of the Isle's braintrust's moves ? Don't do that my friend, you'll only hurt yourself or go insane.

scott99 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:15 PM
  #621
bluechipbonzo
Registered User
 
bluechipbonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I don't understand the whole Donovan argument. Whether or not he makes the team, he should have a chance to compete in camp. It's ridiculous to give a chance to Reinhart as opposed to a player who has been leading your AHL franchise for two years.

I assume the Islanders have addressed this with Donovan, and made their reasoning clear. (Perhaps they do know exactly what they have in him, and have told him not to worry. That's my guess.) Because if they don't, they will kill their relationship with the player.

And just by a count of numbers, I don't there's any chance Donovan, if healthy, isn't suiting up a majority of games for the big club.

Cheers,

Dan-o
I don't think anyone, Garf included, has any designs about keeping Griff up with the Isles.

They are giving him a taste, nothing more. To wit, we saw this with Strome last season.

Nino didn't get invited. Donovan and Ness aren't being rushed.

This spectre can be put to bed- of course, the argument can last as long as Griff is in camp, I suppose.

bluechipbonzo is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:23 PM
  #622
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Nino didn't get invited. Donovan and Ness aren't being rushed.
How the heck do you know? The Islanders have the scrimmage to make an evaluation, where they'll see all their players out on the ice. I don't see any reason to believe Nino and Donovan couldn't make the team despite not being in camp. It's just not a normal year.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:34 PM
  #623
bluechipbonzo
Registered User
 
bluechipbonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
How the heck do you know? The Islanders have the scrimmage to make an evaluation, where they'll see all their players out on the ice. I don't see any reason to believe Nino and Donovan couldn't make the team despite not being in camp. It's just not a normal year.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Know what? That Garf isn't rushing these kids? They weren't invited to camp.

Know they wouldn't make it? They could make it. But I think the lesson was finally learned here after last season...they kept Strome away (and will again). They left Nino this week, and will for a time, until the likes of Boyes and Ullstrom (or anyone in theory) falters. Especially if Nino keeps up his pace.

As for Donovan- he's got the goods...maybe Garf just wants more...maybe they think his ceiling is higher than what he's showing in the AHL. When he catches up to Landry in PP production, and takes it beyond, I expect he'll be up with the club to stay.

Keep him now, he's Matt Gilroy +

Why not wait another month, see if Viz relents, and allow the trade market to percolate, especially in this short, weird season?

Keep him playing top minutes or stuff him on the third pairing...hmmm...making the team isn't always the best thing, or right thing, or easy thing.

It's not like he's Petrov or anything.


bluechipbonzo is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:35 PM
  #624
redbull
Expect more
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
How the heck do you know? The Islanders have the scrimmage to make an evaluation, where they'll see all their players out on the ice. I don't see any reason to believe Nino and Donovan couldn't make the team despite not being in camp. It's just not a normal year.

Cheers,

Dan-o
nobody on this board knows anything. We're all guessing.

Kichton has good stats. Donovan has good numbers as well. According to some reports, has been the best dman in Bridgeport (though BP's defense overall has been atrocious) Nino has been the best forward but likely has a lot to learn yet, despite his solid AHL numbers.

All we know is Isles need a fast start and familiarity is a good thing. And they play the Devils pretty soon. And Visnovsky can't catch a flight.

redbull is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:42 PM
  #625
bluechipbonzo
Registered User
 
bluechipbonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
nobody on this board knows anything. We're all guessing.

Kichton has good stats. Donovan has good numbers as well. According to some reports, has been the best dman in Bridgeport (though BP's defense overall has been atrocious) Nino has been the best forward but likely has a lot to learn yet, despite his solid AHL numbers.

All we know is Isles need a fast start and familiarity is a good thing. And they play the Devils pretty soon. And Visnovsky can't catch a flight.
Dan's right- Nino and Donovan could make the team, it's just not a necessity right now.

And that's taking the big picture...Donovan has room to grow, same with Nino.

Are the desperate enough for bodies that they should hinder top prospects' development is the question.

bluechipbonzo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.