HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Talk PART V

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 11:20 AM
InformTheMasses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Thursday

Sudbury 4, Niagara 1-Strome, 1 goal (25), + 1, Graham, 1 assist, even.
Here's the goal:

Last edited by PWJunior: 02-01-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Fixed your coding and embedded video
Old
02-01-2013, 11:53 AM
scott99

Strome has great hands. I think he makes the big club next season for sure.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:28 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Strome has great hands. I think he makes the big club next season for sure.
outside JT, he's got the best hands and vision in the organization. he's got a shot to make the club next year out of camp

Old
02-01-2013, 12:33 PM
StrongIslanders90

Nice touch by Strome....I see they gave him the "C"

Old
02-01-2013, 01:04 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
outside JT, he's got the best hands and vision in the organization. he's got a shot to make the club next year out of camp
He's got an excellent skillset that is very reminiscent of Tavares, the looming question is if he's physically ready to handle the rigors of the NHL. JT was forced into the top line center role when he wasn't ready, but he's obviously not the normal player.

If Strome were to make the team next year, I don't see how the team will be able to shelter him like they did Johnny his first 2 years in the league. If he's slotted into the #2C role, he has to produce right away and exhibit a strong defensive game as that seems to be what the organization wants out of the centers on the team. I'm not sure we can definitively say that he can be that by next season.

If he's ready, he's ready. If not, I wouldn't mind him starting out his pro career in Bridgeport to groom him into that role. With the handling of Nino and Donovan this year, I wouldn't be surprised if the Isles do the same thing to Strome and keep him at the Bridge all year so can play 20+ minutes/game and in all situations. Then I'd be confident that Strome will be what we've needed as a #2C and then we can slot Frans into the #3C role for which he is probably better suited.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:10 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
He's got an excellent skillset that is very reminiscent of Tavares, the looming question is if he's physically ready to handle the rigors of the NHL. JT was forced into the top line center role when he wasn't ready, but he's obviously not the normal player.

If Strome were to make the team next year, I don't see how the team will be able to shelter him like they did Johnny his first 2 years in the league. If he's slotted into the #2C role, he has to produce right away and exhibit a strong defensive game as that seems to be what the organization wants out of the centers on the team. I'm not sure we can definitively say that he can be that by next season.

If he's ready, he's ready. If not, I wouldn't mind him starting out his pro career in Bridgeport to groom him into that role. With the handling of Nino and Donovan this year, I wouldn't be surprised if the Isles do the same thing to Strome and keep him at the Bridge all year so can play 20+ minutes/game and in all situations. Then I'd be confident that Strome will be what we've needed as a #2C and then we can slot Frans into the #3C role for which he is probably better suited.
I think having a full camp will obviously give him a better shot. The only way I don't see him getting a look is if a guy like Bailey comes back this year as a center and tears it up. Not sure how likely either of those things are of happening, but since I'm a fan of Bailey I won't rule it out.

If he doesn't, I would expect Strome to get the cup of coffee next year at least.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Degeneration Rex

`Good example of how much Strome needs to still develop. Tavares second goal against the Devils
shows even someone like JT had to improve his game a lot. Without the improvements in skating and strength there is no way he could have scored like that earlier in his career. With JT guiding Strome in the dungeon, and the improvements he's made in junior this season Ryan is developing nicely.

PS-Looks like JT has added a much better shot since last year. Strome has a good one already.

I'm pleased with his progress this season. Strome is going to be tested even more the rest of this year on a team which is much weaker without Hamilton and Theoret.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 02-01-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 01:36 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

The difference between Tavares at 19 and Strome at 19 (I'm talking readiness body-wise), is that Tavares' rookie NHL season he was 6'0" 205 pounds, even though he needed to get stronger on his skates, which was painfully obvious, he was a 19 year old with a man's body.

Strome was 6'0" 183 at 19, so he needs to grow into his body. Some people say Strome is 6'1", and he just might be, so he probably will top out at 6'1" 200 to 205, he seems to have a different body type than Tavares, a smaller frame, Tavares has a larger frame type.

One more thing I wanted to add, if he's NOT ready, hopefully he doesn't get crucified, look at Kadri in Toronto, one minute he's on the cover of THN's Future Watch, the next minute, Leaf's fans wanna trade him for a bag of pucks, and now that draft pick is finally paying dividends.

Last edited by scott99: 02-01-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

Minor nitpick, but I really don't think Strome's 6'1. Maybe it's his bent over skating style that makes him look smaller, but he looks more like 5'11 or 6'0, than he does 6'1. When a player is 6'1 or above, he begins to look "tall" on the ice. Strome never has struck me as looking tall out there.

In terms of him making the NHL next year, I think one thing that might hold him back from being effective is just overall strength and skating. If you look at a lot of rookies that do well, they tend to be either tremendous skaters, or they're "stocky". Strome's neither a speedster, nor is he a tank on skates.

So I think his ultimate success next year hinges on just how much stronger he gets during the summer time, in terms of both his physical strength, and in terms of his strength on his skates (balance, how difficult he is to knock down, etc.). This will affect not only his offensive game, but also how he performs defensively. The latter, if anything, will be the bigger issue with how effective he'd be next year.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Minor nitpick, but I really don't think Strome's 6'1. Maybe it's his bent over skating style that makes him look smaller, but he looks more like 5'11 or 6'0, than he does 6'1. When a player is 6'1 or above, he begins to look "tall" on the ice. Strome never has struck me as looking tall out there.

In terms of him making the NHL next year, I think one thing that might hold him back from being effective is just overall strength and skating. If you look at a lot of rookies that do well, they tend to be either tremendous skaters, or they're "stocky". Strome's neither a speedster, nor is he a tank on skates.

So I think his ultimate success next year hinges on just how much stronger he gets during the summer time, in terms of both his physical strength, and in terms of his strength on his skates (balance, how difficult he is to knock down, etc.). This will affect not only his offensive game, but also how he performs defensively. The latter, if anything, will be the bigger issue with how effective he'd be next year.
I think most of us "sensible" Isles fans have thinking or saying this for a while now...pretty much since he's been drafted as a matter of fact. The thing that gives us hope is that he's working out with JT now in the offseason, and everyone's seen how that's gone for him...and to a lesser extent, Matt Martin as well.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:19 PM
StrongIslanders90

I would like the Isles to Bring Strome along how the Bruins did Seguin...
Let him play the wing his rookie year and adjust to the NHL play,Travel,and. Then if he's ready either move him to Center or keep him on the wing the next year..

I think we all agree that Franszy would be one of the Best 3rd line centers in the NHL but I could live with him asthe #2 for another...He has skill and defensive mindset to play that role....

Old
02-01-2013, 03:42 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post

This is what I've been saying for some time. Strome definitely hunches over when he skates and I find it hard to believe he's 6'1" - he "looks" like a 5'11" - 175 size player. Now, I know the listings on hockeydb or on the CHL's website are often "off" and some players will find a way to embellish these numbers. And I'm sure the Islanders have the "right" numbers.

But aside from the actual height and weight, Strome does not have HIS man-strength yet. At least, it doesn't look that way on the ice. I think he may have really small equipment too, shoulder pads specifically. I know some/most skill players prefer small shoulder pads since the equipment is so good these days, they get much more mobility with smaller equip and are still protected. I think Shanahan and Chelios used the same scrawny equipment they used in junior. Also, I think Grabner has really small shoulder pads because he's very muscular without his equipment on but looks so damn skinny on the ice.

Players that had man-strength early: Matt Duchene, Sidney Crosby, Gabriel Landeskog, Mark Scheifele, Brett Connolly, Mika Zibanjad, Sean Couturier, Nail Yakupov, Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, Brayden Schenn.

John Tavares did have man-strength but he wasn't strong on his skates NOR quick enough to play EFFECTIVELY in the NHL. He was talented enough to overcome it but he was NOTHING on the ice compared to today. Whereas Duchene is probably the exact same player (having seen him play 4-5 times already this year, compared to his rookie year. He's still very good, just not improved much as all)

Player who did NOT: Nazem Kadri, Cody Hodgson, Calvin deHaan, Jaden Schwartz, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Josh Bailey, Nikita Filatov, many more.

Strome has gotten bigger and stronger, for sure. He has learned to use the boards well, cycle the puck a bit, still has extremely good vision on the ice, which is why he'll make the NHL and be a productive player....but he will need to get stronger on his skates.

Though he definitely has NHL skill, he will probably struggle to be effective and productive at the NHL level next year as well. I wouldn't think less of him as a prospect though. I've been a Kadri detractor for years, mainly because of how awful he was in the AHL, his play without the puck, how AHL dmen threw him around. But he's also gotten stronger and smarter on the ice, he's managing to play his offensive style while minimizing his weaknesses and he's finally having some success. Even though he's still a pretty scrawny kid, despite his listed height/weight.

Hickey looks really small as well...but he's pretty strong on his skates. This is crucial for a smaller player, especially a defenseman.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:57 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
This is what I've been saying for some time. Strome definitely hunches over when he skates and I find it hard to believe he's 6'1" - he "looks" like a 5'11" - 175 size player. Now, I know the listings on hockeydb or on the CHL's website are often "off" and some players will find a way to embellish these numbers. And I'm sure the Islanders have the "right" numbers.

But aside from the actual height and weight, Strome does not have HIS man-strength yet. At least, it doesn't look that way on the ice. I think he may have really small equipment too, shoulder pads specifically. I know some/most skill players prefer small shoulder pads since the equipment is so good these days, they get much more mobility with smaller equip and are still protected. I think Shanahan and Chelios used the same scrawny equipment they used in junior. Also, I think Grabner has really small shoulder pads because he's very muscular without his equipment on but looks so damn skinny on the ice.

Players that had man-strength early: Matt Duchene, Sidney Crosby, Gabriel Landeskog, Mark Scheifele, Brett Connolly, Mika Zibanjad, Sean Couturier, Nail Yakupov, Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, Brayden Schenn.

John Tavares did have man-strength but he wasn't strong on his skates NOR quick enough to play EFFECTIVELY in the NHL. He was talented enough to overcome it but he was NOTHING on the ice compared to today. Whereas Duchene is probably the exact same player (having seen him play 4-5 times already this year, compared to his rookie year. He's still very good, just not improved much as all)

Player who did NOT: Nazem Kadri, Cody Hodgson, Calvin deHaan, Jaden Schwartz, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Josh Bailey, Nikita Filatov, many more.

Strome has gotten bigger and stronger, for sure. He has learned to use the boards well, cycle the puck a bit, still has extremely good vision on the ice, which is why he'll make the NHL and be a productive player....but he will need to get stronger on his skates.

Though he definitely has NHL skill, he will probably struggle to be effective and productive at the NHL level next year as well. I wouldn't think less of him as a prospect though. I've been a Kadri detractor for years, mainly because of how awful he was in the AHL, his play without the puck, how AHL dmen threw him around. But he's also gotten stronger and smarter on the ice, he's managing to play his offensive style while minimizing his weaknesses and he's finally having some success. Even though he's still a pretty scrawny kid, despite his listed height/weight.

Hickey looks really small as well...but he's pretty strong on his skates. This is crucial for a smaller player, especially a defenseman.
I think Strome should get more credit for how strong he is on his skates. He obviously isn't a big kid physically, but he has a powerful stride and can hold his own with the puck on his stick along the boards. I also think he is close, as far as his body being filled out. He's probably 6'0 right now, and between 180-185; compared to a guy like Huberdeau who is about 6'1, and between 175-180. I think by the time next season rolls around, if Strome is around 190 he will be more than fine physically. Even if he isn't, I expect him to continue working on his leg/skating strength in the offseason(probably with JT) and should be ready to make a real bid for the starting lineup.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Degeneration Rex

Friday

Windsor 3, Guelph 1-Pedan, even.
Niagara 5, Erie 1-Strome, 2 goals (26,27), + 4, Graham, 2 assists, + 1.
Pelech, did not play (suspension)-Note-Strome stopped on penalty shot.
Edmonton 3, Swift Current 0-Reinhart, + 1.
Kamloops 7, Spokane 4-Kichton, 1 assist, -1.
Ohio State 6, Notre Dame 3-Lee, 1 assist, -1, Russo, -1.
Denver 3, Minnesota-Duluth 0-Mayfield, even.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 02-02-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old
02-01-2013, 09:20 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Friday

More to come.
Nice to see Strome continuing to put up points on a weakened Niagara team. They probably go as he goes.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:26 PM
InformTheMasses

Mitch Theoret has missed the last 2 games for Barrie. I didn't see the game on the 26th (his last game played) so not sure if was an injury. I'll try and review the game and see what I can find.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:12 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Don't like the slewfoot or other undisciplined offenses. But you can't teach nastiness (see Okposo) and Pedan has it. He can be cured or coached how to limit himself, but he will be a guy like a Hatcher that forwards will want to avoid. It makes him more effective.
I agree you can't teach nastiness, but you also can't teach smarts...And I hope Pedan has at least some of those and isn't letting his Nastiness run wild some some bizarro Sean Avery/Matthew Barnaby offspring.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:14 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
loophole is a misnomar. After his senior year he can choose to sign with his drafting team or become a FA.
Who is "misnomar?" Is that like Garciaparra's wife or something?

Old
02-02-2013, 01:15 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Friday

Edmonton 3, Swift Current 0-Reinhart, + 1.
Denver 3, Minnesota-Duluth 0-Mayfield, even.

More to come.
Brenden Kichtons Assist:

Jesse Grahams Assists:
and:

Ryan Strome's Goals:
and:

Last edited by Kevin27nyi: 02-02-2013 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Embed
Old
02-02-2013, 04:46 AM
Kshahdoo

Pity, NYI didn't pick Tarasenko in 2010. I'd kill to see Tavares and him playing on the same line. I bet this would be a 200+ points pair.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:15 AM
steveat

According to the Icedogs website Strome is now 192. I figure, out of all the sites out there that the team website would be the most accurate.

Then again, Nino is man size, has the speed a bit of the nastiness (not enough)....was it because we developed him wrong or was it because we didn't give him the right players to play with or not enough icetime to make anything happen? If that was the case, then why has Aucoin done so well as a smaller player with not as much supposed skill. Maybe Nino is just not used to the physical dominance of pro hockey and Aucoin is? Nino was on the third line for a long time before he got put onto the 4th line.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:43 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
According to the Icedogs website Strome is now 192. I figure, out of all the sites out there that the team website would be the most accurate.

Then again, Nino is man size, has the speed a bit of the nastiness (not enough)....was it because we developed him wrong or was it because we didn't give him the right players to play with or not enough icetime to make anything happen? If that was the case, then why has Aucoin done so well as a smaller player with not as much supposed skill. Maybe Nino is just not used to the physical dominance of pro hockey and Aucoin is? Nino was on the third line for a long time before he got put onto the 4th line.
The 3rd line was just about as bad as the 4th last year. Rolston was disgusting, Comeau started off as cold as ice, the whole bottom 6 was just terrible except MattyMartin. Nino has a very good release/shot but he was not mobile enough or processed the game quickly enough to be any kind of a factor by himself or with his linemates. He just was not ready to contribute and although his linemates didn't make him better, he didn't have what it took to rise above that even a little bit and distinguish himself.

Old
02-02-2013, 08:33 AM
IslandersFan17

What I do not understand is how angry everyone was with Nino playing bottom line minutes last season.

Not for nothing, I watch Cizikas earn absolutely everything on the ice. Although, the McDonald suspension opened up the chance for Casey to move up a line, the kid EARNED IT. Now, of course no one envisioned Cizikas as a top six forward to begin with, unlike Nino whom was many projected as a first line LW. However, the philosophy is the same in terms of EARNING the right to play more minutes.

Not for nothing Cizikas is not working with world class talent on the fourth line but yet the kid works his tail off each and every shift. That diving play on the Clarkson breakaway the other night against the Devils shows my point vividly.

I know they are different types, but if you are willing to compete and willing to raise your game despite your situation you will ascend in the lineup.

Old
02-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
What I do not understand is how angry everyone was with Nino playing bottom line minutes last season.

Not for nothing, I watch Cizikas earn absolutely everything on the ice. Although, the McDonald suspension opened up the chance for Casey to move up a line, the kid EARNED IT. Now, of course no one envisioned Cizikas as a top six forward to begin with, unlike Nino whom was many projected as a first line LW. However, the philosophy is the same in terms of EARNING the right to play more minutes.

Not for nothing Cizikas is not working with world class talent on the fourth line but yet the kid works his tail off each and every shift. That diving play on the Clarkson breakaway the other night against the Devils shows my point vividly.

I know they are different types, but if you are willing to compete and willing to raise your game despite your situation you will ascend in the lineup.
Apples and Oranges. Cizikas is a pure energy player while Nino is a power forward/scorer. You would've noticed zeeker last year with Reasoner and Pandolfo but it would have been far far less than you'd expect to notice him. Those two were an offensive black hole and it was the worst line for a kid like Nino to play on as a rookie.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
CHL team websites are no more accurate than any other site. In fact, sometimes they're the worst offenders at embellishing height/weight of players.

For instance, the Kingston Frontenacs' website had 16 year old rookie Ryan Hutchinson listed at 6'2 and 218 pounds last season. This season as a 17 year old, he's listed at 6'1 and 204 pounds. So unless Hutchinson shrunk an inch over the summer, it kind of suggests you can't take these measurements at face value.

Closed Thread