HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Talk PART V

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
3 points (1+2) by Strome today.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:18 AM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
our 3 boys are off to solid starts.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
our 3 boys are off to solid starts.
Strome very good today, had a few good scoring chances and was setting up plays.
Drouin is playing on his line along and that should be a fun combo to watch.
Reinhart was his usual-mistake free self.

Did not see Finland today but saw Pokka in the pre tournament game against USA.
Nice thing about him he can be used in different roles, penalty kill,powerplay (though
he may get little or or no PP time in the tournament) and shut down.

Finland lost one of it's top forwards, Miro Aaltonen who is out for the rest of the WJC.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 12-26-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old
12-26-2012, 08:04 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Strome very good today, had a few good scoring chances and was setting up plays.
Drouin is playing on his line along and that should be a fun combo to watch.
Reinhart was his usual-mistake free self.

Did not see Finland today but saw Pokka in the pre tournament game against USA.
Nice thing about him he can be used in different roles, penalty kill,powerplay (though
he may get little or or no PP time in the tournament) and shut down.

Finland lost one of it's top forwards, Miro Aaltonen who is out for the rest of the WJC.
Douin with strome, wow thats crazy skill togther.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:15 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

End of the first period, all the announcer was saying was "Strome." He must've said it 10 times in a one minute span.

Old
12-27-2012, 07:15 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
End of the first period, all the announcer was saying was "Strome." He must've said it 10 times in a one minute span.
What game are you watching?

Old
12-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Mavericknyc1980

Pokka is really stepping up his game.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericknyc1980 View Post
Pokka is really stepping up his game.
On www.islanderspointblank.com there is a video of Pokka's assist, great pass in front of the net
to Aaltonen (who is out for the WJC). From the little I have seen so far, a really smart player and
his skating looks better than I thought. (any weakness would get more exposed when he's plays
against men). I like him, the Islanders did real good with their first 3 pick's in last summer's draft.

Old
12-27-2012, 12:34 PM
scott99

I really LOVE the WJHC. Especially when we have good prospects representing their countries. Prior to getting The NHL Network (first got in in summer 2010, watched Nino's coming out party for the Swiss, and Donovan helping Team USA win the Gold !), my only updates were Hockeysfuture, including videos posted here. Watching Canada last night, and hearing "Reinhart to Strome", makes me dream about what a fantastic future the Isles have. Remember when our claim to fame was Comeau leading Team Canada in scoring in 2004, and Robert Nilsson and Robert Figren scoring some nice goals for Team Sweden the same year. In a few years, we can look back and say, we had one WJHC legend (Tavares), and another one with double digit point totals (I believe Strome has 12 points in his first 7 WJHC games).

Exciting times indeed, and it pretty much makes me forget the nonsense between the NHL and the NHLPA. In fact, I haven't even checked the lockout thread since the WJHC's started. I actually watch more WJHC than the NHL when it's around anyway.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:13 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I really LOVE the WJHC. Especially when we have good prospects representing their countries. Prior to getting The NHL Network (first got in in summer 2010, watched Nino's coming out party for the Swiss, and Donovan helping Team USA win the Gold !), my only updates were Hockeysfuture, including videos posted here. Watching Canada last night, and hearing "Reinhart to Strome", makes me dream about what a fantastic future the Isles have.
Good post.

I don't like the idea of "drafting based on need" but I am continually impressed with Reinhart and he's exactly what the Islanders need asap. Frankly, so does Bridgeport. A big defenseman who can move bodies, get in the way of forwards driving the net, make smart plays along the boards, with or without the puck....a "calming force" (seems like an oxymoron but isn't) out there.

If he weren't an Isles pick, I wouldn't notice him. And that's not a bad thing. Ville Pokka seems much the same for that matter. Contrast that with Rielly and Hamilton and they are in a tougher spot, often trying to do too much and getting burned. Much tougher learning curve and adjustment for these types of players and on NHL defense, can't take much for granted.

Strome looks really good out there. He's got really great vision and has learned to use his body well, keep his feet moving and always with his head up. He doesn't try to do too much and that will serve him well in the NHL. Hopefully they can both elevate their play as the tournament goes on and the competition gets tougher.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:21 PM
scott99

Off topic kinda, but watching RNH out there, is it me, or did he improve his speed ? He always was very shifty in his skating, had great escapability, and great lateral movement, but I'll be damned if he just seems faster than last season. Great bursts of speed from a standstill also. I think this kid has greatness written all over him. Him and Huberdeau together are very exciting to watch, doesn't matter whom the 3rd winger is (I believe Shiefele). Strome and Drouin give the Canadians something very similar on the second line. I'd love to see a line of Strome-RNH-Huberdeau on the power play, wow !

Old
12-27-2012, 02:29 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Off topic kinda, but watching RNH out there, is it me, or did he improve his speed ? He always was very shifty in his skating, had great escapability, and great lateral movement, but I'll be damned if he just seems faster than last season. Great bursts of speed from a standstill also. I think this kid has greatness written all over him. Him and Huberdeau together are very exciting to watch, doesn't matter whom the 3rd winger is (I believe Shiefele). Strome and Drouin give the Canadians something very similar on the second line. I'd love to see a line of Strome-RNH-Huberdeau on the power play, wow !
It's the big ice, I don't think his skating is any better or worse, he just has less time and space in the NHL. He's a special talent, that's for sure, great vision out there and deceptively good shot.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:48 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
It's the big ice, I don't think his skating is any better or worse, he just has less time and space in the NHL. He's a special talent, that's for sure, great vision out there and deceptively good shot.
He's also playing against kids.

RNH is an excellent young talent, I question his ability to finish in the long run. I know he's a playmaker first, but I don't see high level goal scoring. The guy is a modern LH Adam Oates IMO.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:48 PM
gramatanboy

I think that we should be excited that so far many of our top prospects are having very good seasons! Strome, Nino, Nelson, Sundstrom, Persson, Ullstrom, Czikas, Lee, Reinhart, Mayfield, Pedan, Polka, Pelech and Russo are all doing well and hopefully the second half of the AHL season will see Poulin, Nilsson and Donovan playing better and Kabanov and maybe Dehaan returning from serious injuries. The Islanders have a lot more depth to their system than most teams and if we can secure another top 10 pick in the June 2013 draft we will be in great shape. Now, if the owners and players ever come to an agreement that will be great also (I don't think that we will see a season this year)!! Happy New Year's to All!!

Old
12-27-2012, 02:52 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

RNH is an excellent young talent, I question his ability to finish in the long run. I know he's a playmaker first, but I don't see high level goal scoring. The guy is a modern LH Adam Oates IMO.
Damn, nothing wrong w/Adam Oates, I think top ten in assists all time. Hall of Famer. BUT, I think RNH is more explosive, certainly as a skater. His skating will open up the ice for more goal scoring chances.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Degeneration Rex

I'm another who believes best player available. The center and defense depth are pretty good now.
Just by need, the Islanders could use a dynamic wing like Drouin. Just not if Seth Jones is available.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:54 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramatanboy View Post
I think that we should be excited that so far many of our top prospects are having very good seasons! Strome, Nino, Nelson, Sundstrom, Persson, Ullstrom, Czikas, Lee, Reinhart, Mayfield, Pedan, Polka, Pelech and Russo are all doing well and hopefully the second half of the AHL season will see Poulin, Nilsson and Donovan playing better and Kabanov and maybe Dehaan returning from serious injuries. The Islanders have a lot more depth to their system than most teams and if we can secure another top 10 pick in the June 2013 draft we will be in great shape. Now, if the owners and players ever come to an agreement that will be great also (I don't think that we will see a season this year)!! Happy New Year's to All!!
Have to agree with the bolded part, unfortunately. Luckily, we will get to see glimpses of Isle's prospects, both current and future, with the WJHC, Junior Hockey, and College Hockey, all being shown on the NHL Network.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:19 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
I'm another who believes best player available. The center and defense depth are pretty good now.
Just by need, the Islanders could use a dynamic wing like Drouin. Just not if Seth Jones is available.
I'd be happy with pretty much anyone in the top-10, forward or defenseman. That said, Drouin would look pretty awesome in our top-6 with JT, Strome, Moulson, Okposo and Nino.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

RNH has excellent hands around the net as well, go through his goals last season and you will see that. The only thing that will stop him from being a perennial 30 goal scorer would be if he doesn't look for his shot enough. He shot 13.4% last season which put him in the top 10% of NHL players and 24th among centers.

12-27-2012, 03:58 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
RNH has excellent hands around the net as well, go through his goals last season and you will see that. The only thing that will stop him from being a perennial 30 goal scorer would be if he doesn't look for his shot enough. He shot 13.4% last season which put him in the top 10% of NHL players and 24th among centers.
No offense, but I really hope at least one of your guys busts. If none of them do the thought of how good the Oil will become sickens me. Thankfully we play in the other conference.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
No offense, but I really hope at least one of your guys busts. If none of them do the thought of how good the Oil will become sickens me. Thankfully we play in the other conference.
Well for obvious reasons I hope that they all pan out and have long and healthy careers as Oilers. That said even with 5 potentially elite talents you need solid role players and until we get them in place we won't be winning anything. Also I wish the Islanders all the best and are rooting for them to become a force to be reckoned with in the east so I won't say that I wish the same ill will upon your team.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Degeneration Rex

Looking forward to the day we have another Isles-Oiler cup final.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:42 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Be glad they will be playing in the West

Old
12-27-2012, 05:31 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Haha BBO, you're always quick to defend RNH... even on the Isles board!

Unless he changes his style of play, I have doubts that he'll ever be much of a goal scorer. He's a playmaker at heart and just isn't one that has that 'attack the net' mentality. You need to shoot to score goals and I just don't see a high enough volume shot guy to be a consistent 30+ goal scorer in the NHL. Putting up 134 SOGs isn't going to cut it no matter how high his shooting percentage was last season.

Of course, it's such a small sample size. In any case, we won't see what he'll ultimately become until he's had about 4 years in the NHL - I read somewhere that year #4 is when most players have their breakthrough year (I wish I could find that article again). Until then, I see an Adam Oates type of player from everything I've gathered to this point. It shouldn't be taken as a slight towards RNH at all because as noted earlier, Oates is an HOFer. Plus not everyone can be another Tavares.

To get back on topic though, I think the Isles prospect base is performing pretty well this season. Should be interesting whenever our teams meet in the coming years.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:00 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
I've been waiting for someone to say it. I've been really interested in Drouin for the last few months now and you nailed it with dynamic winger. I want more wing depth on this team and a natural left winger with his ability really makes me hope he is still around when we pick. He is starting to get a lot of exposure and I like him more and more as that increases.

Closed Thread