HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Wild future vs. Oilers future

Old
12-04-2012, 09:19 PM
ThatGuy22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Disagree partially. The Wild GM seemed to make a good move with Parise and Suter. But if you look further, he had a little luck, Parise already wanted to play in his home state and was friends with Suter. The GM offered them huge contracts to get them both. Right now it seems good, but look at the situation with other players with big contracts. They are impossible to get rid of. So while the the additions of Parise and Suter are good now, in the future they may be handcuffed.

Tambo gets a bad rap, but his contracts have been decent the past years.
-Hemsky got a some good money but only 2 years
-Hall and Ebs contracts will be a bargain in 2 years

Tambo has the team positioned to be financially solid in the upcoming years.

Also, in the rebuilding years he didnot get impatient and trade picks away. Most of his 1,2,3 rounders are coming along well (d prospects mainly) He also made good trades that made sense for a rebuilding team.

He traded Penner for Klefbom (a top d prospect), Tuebert (decent young d prospect who plays physical) and Zharkov (decent forward prospect)

He also added N Schultz for defensive support.
He went extremely hard for J.Schultz and was sucessful

Tambo may not have been very proactive in the rebuilding phase but he made good trades, didnt strap the team down with huge contracts, and keep and developed picks and prospects.

Not a top tier GM, but not a bad one either
Yep, you can never trade big contracts. Guys with long term big money deals like Nash, Richards and Carter are locked into their teams for ever.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:39 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

MN has better depth than EDM. But EDM has better high end talent because of the 1st overall picks, which is logical

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Calgary AINEC.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:04 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by P10p View Post
Love how bias this post is. You stop making comparisons when Edmonton runs out of notable prospects?

Hackett < ???????
Zucker < ???????
Phillips < ???????
Kuemper < ??????
Gustafson < ??????
Lucia < ????????
Haula < ???????
Scandella< ????????

Feel free to do with this what you wish.

Bunz
Roy
Pitlick
Marincin
Musil
Gernat
Rieder
Martindale
Teubert
Fedun

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:03 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I'm going to get skewered for saying this but Schultz might end up similar to Mike Green. Great offensively, bad defensively. He's 24, so he should be dominating the AHL. But his defense looks very suspect.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
I'm going to get skewered for saying this but Schultz might end up similar to Mike Green. Great offensively, bad defensively. He's 24, so he should be dominating the AHL. But his defense looks very suspect.
If he ends up as good as Mike Green, without the injuries, I think many of us will be very happy.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:46 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilFan91 View Post
If he ends up as good as Mike Green, without the injuries, I think many of us will be very happy.
Problem is, with all that offense, you need some defense.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:13 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
See I'm not basing it on 2 signings... If you guys didn't have Gretzky, Schultz would of been ours...

Chuck has made some great moves, and has hired the right people. There was nothing here when he arrived.
Don't know where you got that idea in your head, Schultz has said that Edmonton was always in the back of his head before any of the meetings with Gretz and company.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopperking View Post
And what sort of contracts do you suppose the three #1 overalls + Eberle will warrant?

Plus they've got Shultz who, if he's everything he's cracked up to be will be getting payed too
6 million a season. We've already resigned two of them.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Shanahanigans

Quote:
Umm he turned 22 a few months ago.....and he's been pretty good defensively so far in the AHL. He's had his share of mistakes, but I'm not worried. He'll never be a Shea Weber, but he's got a high hockey IQ, seems to be picking up the defensive pro game pretty quickly so far.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Parise and Suter contracts won't be an issue for the Wild unless at least 3 or 4 of our prospects turn into absolute studs that want at least $5+ million a year each in the future. Heatley, Bouchard, Backstrom, and Cullen alone free up about $21 million in cap space within the next 1 to 2 years, and of course there's a number of other players that will free up another $5-10 million. Not worried about the cap, just worried about our prospects not panning out as planned and being a Wild fan, injuries of course, especially concussions.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:25 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Umm he turned 22 a few months ago.....and he's been pretty good defensively so far in the AHL. He's had his share of mistakes, but I'm not worried. He'll never be a Shea Weber, but he's got a high hockey IQ, seems to be picking up the defensive pro game pretty quickly so far.
Sorry was looking at another defenseman. But he's looked sketchy on defense, especially when going against Houston.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:22 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Sorry was looking at another defenseman. But he's looked sketchy on defense, especially when going against Houston.
He got burned by Palmieri, that was one of the few times that he's been burned at ES this year. It was a bad play, he knew it and he went right back out there and got the goal back. It's nice to see accountability like that.

12-05-2012, 02:30 AM
Soundwave

I hate to say it as an Oiler fan, but I don't think the Oilers are done the rebuild phase yet.

If there is a half-season, and RNH and Smid are hurt and you have Taylor Hall coming off surgery ... the Oilers could very easily be picking MacKinnon or Jones come draft time.

The Wild with Parise and Suter should be a half way decent team from the get go, when ever that "get go" is.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Over the course of the year his defense has been a pleasant surprise.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:49 AM
mikko1995

All I can say is I can't wait to see these two teams go against each other in the future.

mikko1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:03 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Uh what?

Hopkins has 1 season, could bust.

Hall has two injury plague seasons. Could bust.

Eberle has 1 good season, 2 overall in the NHL. Still could bust.

That's not proven at all.

If you want to look at proven producers in the NHL; Minnesota blows Edmonton out of the water in defense then. Scandella, Spurgeon and Falk along with Brodin, Dumba, Kampfer, Cuma.

And the magnitude of Koivu's accomplishments in the NHL and elsewhere puts him a cut above RNH.

RNH has already out produced him (even on a PPG basis) as an 18 year old rookie in the NHL. As a point of reference, Mikko Koivu scored 7 points in 48 games as an 18 year old playing in Finland.

I don't know what RNH's level of play is going to be when all is said and done, but I do know that it will be significantly higher than Mikko Koivu's.

I also don't know what Matt Dumba's level of play is going to be when all is said and done, but I seriously doubt he'll be capable of putting up 1.5 points per game in the AHL.

Last edited by worraps: 12-05-2012 at 08:10 AM.
worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:32 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
He's 22 (born July 6, 1990).

Old
12-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

RNH will be a better offensive player than Koivu, that I have no doubt, but he will never be as good defensively or have the physical capability that Koivu does. They're very different players and each one fits his own team better. The Oilers seem to building an offensive juggernaut while the Wild forwards focus more on defensive play.

As for Schultz vs Dumba, I'd rather have Schultz, at least right now. I think this debate would be a little more Wild favored had we gotten Schultz instead of Eddy. We were one of the final teams he was considering after all. Though if we would've gotten Schultz, we probably wouldn't have had the cap room to get both Parise and Suter unless we made a trade to free some up.

In terms of which team I'd rather start with, I can't really go against my Wild. If it was just between a player or two, the decision would be much easier, but since it's an entire organization, I have to go with the players I know best.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:39 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
See I'm not basing it on 2 signings... If you guys didn't have Gretzky, Schultz would of been ours...

Wasn't Ottawa ahead of you guys, I seem to remember something like that?

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:09 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
RNH will be a better offensive player than Koivu, that I have no doubt, but he will never be as good defensively or have the physical capability that Koivu does. They're very different players and each one fits his own team better. The Oilers seem to building an offensive juggernaut while the Wild forwards focus more on defensive play.

As for Schultz vs Dumba, I'd rather have Schultz, at least right now. I think this debate would be a little more Wild favored had we gotten Schultz instead of Eddy. We were one of the final teams he was considering after all. Though if we would've gotten Schultz, we probably wouldn't have had the cap room to get both Parise and Suter unless we made a trade to free some up.

In terms of which team I'd rather start with, I can't really go against my Wild. If it was just between a player or two, the decision would be much easier, but since it's an entire organization, I have to go with the players I know best.
I don't want to come off as too negative on Koivu because I really do like him as a player. I think he'll be the perfect mentor for Granlund. I just prefer having RNH as my 1C going forward.

The Wild have a very good mix of veterans and prospects at the moment. They are one of the teams I am most keen to follow this season.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post

I completely understand and respect that, especially when Minnesotta has so much talent.

As an Oiler fan, I too am very optimistic, and feel that many people are going to be surprised at just how quickly we are going to improve as a team. It just seems like there's good chemistry with this current Oiler team.

Oilin Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:23 AM
SMantzas

I'll take the Oilers for several reasons:

1. Zach Parise did not look the same after his injury. He looked a bit slower and not as quick with his first step. You also have to take into account that that the West is a lower scoring conference and Parise is not gonna be used to the insane amount of travelling (compared to the East). He'll still be a great player for the next 3-4 years

2. Blah, blah, blah Ryan Suter doesnt have Shea Weber anymore blah blah blah. Whether this is a legitimate gripe remains to be seen, but you cant tell me a pairing of Suter-Scandella/Spurgeon is gonna even come close in terms of effectiveness

3. The Oilers have the MUCH more proven prospects. RNH, Hall and Eberle have all proven they can be stars in the NHL. As good as Granlund, Coyle, Zucker etc. have looked, they havent proven squat yet.

4. I like the core of Hall/RNH/Schultz/Eberle/Yakupov/Gagner/Hemsky over Koivu/Parise/Suter/Granlund/Heatley (lol)/ Coyle for the next 5-7 years

The Wild will be better for the next 3 or so years, but I cant see either contending during that time

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
I'll take the Oilers for several reasons:

1. Zach Parise did not look the same after his injury. He looked a bit slower and not as quick with his first step. You also have to take into account that that the West is a lower scoring conference and Parise is not gonna be used to the insane amount of travelling (compared to the East). He'll still be a great player for the next 3-4 years

2. Blah, blah, blah Ryan Suter doesnt have Shea Weber anymore blah blah blah. Whether this is a legitimate gripe remains to be seen, but you cant tell me a pairing of Suter-Scandella/Spurgeon is gonna even come close in terms of effectiveness

3. The Oilers have the MUCH more proven prospects. RNH, Hall and Eberle have all proven they can be stars in the NHL. As good as Granlund, Coyle, Zucker etc. have looked, they havent proven squat yet.

4. I like the core of Hall/RNH/Schultz/Eberle/Yakupov/Gagner/Hemsky over Koivu/Parise/Suter/Granlund/Heatley (lol)/ Coyle for the next 5-7 years

The Wild will be better for the next 3 or so years, but I cant see either contending during that time
1. If Parise can pot 25-30 goals and 65-75 points, I'll be happy.

2. Spurgeon certainly isn't Shea Weber, but he'll be a capable top 4 d-man playing alongside Suter. I see him putting up around 30ish points, especially if he can stop losing the damn puck at the blueline when we're on the PP.

3. Thanks for stating the obvious.

4. Not sure why the lol at Heatley. With Parise and (a hopefully healthy) Koivu as linemates, I don't think it's a stretch to say he'll bounce back into the 30-35 goal range. His contract is expensive, but he's only on the books for another 2 years.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:11 AM
gretskidoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
So Brodin/Larsson will never make the NHL?

gretskidoo is online now   Reply With Quote