HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Thread XI: Believe with Steve!

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 01:38 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
@michaelgrange: Texted one active player on negotiating committee about Burton report of a pending deal: "News to me. I'm going to bed" #NHL
and just like daley's and any one else's quotes about this, if it is real they are not going to say anything until its done or blown up in burtons/fans faces.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:39 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
@michaelgrange: Texted one active player on negotiating committee about Burton report of a pending deal: "News to me. I'm going to bed" #NHL
If these deal is true and it was a "secret meeting" with one higher-up from each side, it's obvious that none of the players or owners know about it.

There's no point in asking players because even if there was a meeting like Burton reported, I doubt they would know about it because of the supposed secrecy and the fact that only one member from each side was involved.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:40 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

I'm not positive about this at all, but if players are denying it I still don't think that means it's not happening. I don't think the players are gonna let it out if it is indeed true. They don't wanna leak it, and maybe they've been told not to leak this to the media or it could effect the deal?

Still not feeling good about it, but if it were true I don't think the players would let it out like that. Even when the time does come that a deal is done.

As for Russo I read his twitter quite often. Maybe even daily. I've found him to be reliable, but once when the NHL put forth that proposal in mid October, Russo was really convinced it was ending. This was the day before the players shot it down. He seemed very convinced, and even was talking about getting an absentee ballot to vote as the Wild were supposed to be out of town on election day.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:43 AM
SidTheKid8787

At the very least, i think it means the owners bring a bone to throw at the players tomorrow. They really don't like D.Fehr and want to try and get the players to go above him.

Something like if the PA signs off on the make whole, the league gives in on contractual rights.

I just can't see both sides NOT bending with impending disclaiming of interest(and decert.) in the very near future. It's an unknown outcome and risky for both sides and should make them bend if they aren't doing so already.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:44 AM
Stuck in Socal

If you guys think a deal is announced in the next 48 hours you should prepare for huge disappointment.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:46 AM
billybobjoe2112

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Socal View Post
If you guys think a deal is announced in the next 48 hours you should prepare for huge disappointment.
I've got my hopes up and then destroyed a day later a few times already and now I'm skeptical about everything being said. Until I hear official announcement of a season with a start date I am not going to believe it.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:47 AM
rdawg1234

Point is we'll find out more tomorrow.

big meeting for sure, possibly the biggest of the lockout.

Another fallout this week and the season goes into jeopardy or gets very close to ending.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:50 AM
albator71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Socal View Post
I'm prepared to be hugely disappointed, on the other hand.........

Old
12-04-2012, 01:57 AM
Kopistar

Does anyone REALLY think that any source on either side would come out and say "why yes, we did have secret meetings today and we are darn close to a deal!"

Of course anyone linked to this is going to deny deny deny.

If you really wanna play devils advocate, IF Burton is right, it's possible that Mckenzie and Dreger aren't reporting it because they've been told to keep it quiet and they don't want to lose their sources....

Can't wait for the gongshow that is the next few days.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:08 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 8111
Hoping it's legit news from Burton, but not getting my hopes up. Been heartbroken far too many times this lockout.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:09 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Don't take the bait again guys, Jeremy Jacobs hates humanity, he's just trolling us thru a surrogate

Old
12-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Bonesy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
At the very least, i think it means the owners bring a bone to throw at the players tomorrow. They really don't like D.Fehr and want to try and get the players to go above him.

Something like if the PA signs off on the make whole, the league gives in on contractual rights.

I just can't see both sides NOT bending with impending disclaiming of interest(and decert.) in the very near future. It's an unknown outcome and risky for both sides and should make them bend if they aren't doing so already.
Kind of building off the Fehr part. I kind of have an idea on why this has potential to be true... With the fans, owners and players all frusterated, i think that by setting up this meeting with the players and owners the media fades away. BUT Bettman and Fehr both know that if the owners and players sit together with no mediation they may just hammer through some of the tough topics. This acknowledging that the two head lawyers are not needed for the major decisions, just for the paperwork.

I feel that Fehr and Bettman fear there jobs in this situation so they had to meet and do something.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:39 AM
IcemanTBI

Some tweets I found on the Burton report:

Ryan Hamilton ‏@RyanHamilton6

“WBZ's Steve Burton reports that a deal to save the #nhl season could be announced tomorrow or Wednesday #wbz” @reporterchris any truth?
Collapse
5:50 PM - 3 Dec 12 · Details
5h Chris Johnston Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris

@RyanHamilton6 Don't think so, Ryan. I haven't seen the report but a deal to save the season isn't imminent.

and

adater ‏@adater

Steve Burton Ch. 4 Boston Sources: Significant Progress Made Toward Ending NHL Lockout « CBS Boston http://cbsloc.al/VtZ97j
View summary
2h Russell McKenzie Russell McKenzie ‏@BigMick99

@adater I know you're probably sick of hearing this tonight, but how real is this?
from Matawan, NJ
2h adater adater ‏@adater

@BigMick99 I will never dump on another journalist's report. Unprofessional, bad karma, really bad. But I ain't finding much confirmation

So, I wouldnt put too much stock on this story. No one seems to confirm anything. Also, no one from TSN or Sportsnet has commented on this. It all depends on who the source is.

I guess we will see tomorrow

Old
12-04-2012, 02:40 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
I feel bad for Burton

He is putting his rep on line and is going to be awfully disappointed when he realizes he was played

Not sure if this is NHLPA or Jacobs ploy but the simple reality is this poor guy is going to take a beating

NHL season is dead ,, It died a longtime ago

I admire those of you still trying to hold out hope but I learned long ago that disappointment is much easier to accept when you have no belief in hope

Old
12-04-2012, 02:48 AM
CanadaIsHockey

You guys can quote me if this happens as this was a real dream and it felt too real:

It was around the beginning of September, I dreamt that the lockout was settled and the NHL season started around January 1st 2013. It was around a 50 game season that was planned.
I can also confirm to you with that dream that the world will not end on December 21st.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:49 AM
Frodo Baggins

I personally feel like its odd and perhaps a good sign that not a single TSN guy has denied or even said a word about this. Maybe they were told to keep quiet to maintain sources. It's just odd because they usually get all excited to squash other reporters rumors.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:49 AM
albator71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I feel bad for Burton

He is putting his rep on line and is going to be awfully disappointed when he realizes he was played

Not sure if this is NHLPA or Jacobs ploy but the simple reality is this poor guy is going to take a beating

NHL season is dead ,, It died a longtime ago

I admire those of you still trying to hold out hope but I learned long ago that disappointment is much easier to accept when you have no belief in hope
Until Bettman announces the season is cancel, I believe we'll have a season. #hope

Old
12-04-2012, 02:55 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by albator71 View Post
Until Bettman announces the season is cancel, I believe we'll have a season. #hope
I admire your desire to believe

Simple reality is that your only going to be hurt in end ,, Life is a endless line of failure and disappointment until you ultimately die

Or as it applies in this case ,, hope is a pipedream that ultimately will leave you bitter and disappointed

Old
12-04-2012, 02:57 AM
IcemanTBI

Another tweet from Michael Russo:

Jeff ‏@Minnesota_Fan6

@Russostrib What's your take on the report out of Boston about an NHL/NHLPA deal being imminent?

3h Michael Russo Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib

@Minnesota_Fan6 it's nonsense

Russo is very respected. He doesnt believe the report one bit. So, I dont know what to make of this

Old
12-04-2012, 03:01 AM
IcemanTBI

IMO, the reason this meeting tomorrow is happening, is that the owners now feel that the Union will begin the decertification process. By asking for a face to face meeting between the owners and players, the union couldn't turn that down, or else it would be brought up during the decertification process as proof decertification is nothing but a negotiation tactic.

I dont expect anything to come out of this meeting tomorrow tbh. This is all just a precursor to the union decertifying.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:14 AM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI View Post
IMO, the reason this meeting tomorrow is happening, is that the owners now feel that the Union will begin the decertification process. By asking for a face to face meeting between the owners and players, the union couldn't turn that down, or else it would be brought up during the decertification process as proof decertification is nothing but a negotiation tactic.

I dont expect anything to come out of this meeting tomorrow tbh. This is all just a precursor to the union decertifying.
Just the mentioning of it(disclaiming and decertifying) should get one or both sides bending though. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that theres some give and take going on behind closed doors.

Disclaiming interest and decertifying means theres risk and unknown outcomes on both sides of the coin and it's what forced the sides together in the other major sports.

Of course, i'm being overly optimistic here and what you say could very well happen but we shall see i guess.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:19 AM
Kopistar

Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund
just talked to a source in Montreal, "Hearing we are getting somewhere…." remember…not too high not too low. just wait and see.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:24 AM
albator71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I admire your desire to believe

Simple reality is that your only going to be hurt in end ,, Life is a endless line of failure and disappointment until you ultimately die

Or as it applies in this case ,, hope is a pipedream that ultimately will leave you bitter and disappointed
Hope is bright shining light which keeps darkness at the bay

Hope is to remain positive when going gets tough

Hope is dreaming of tomorrow

Hope is simmering under sorrow

Hope is sparkles when tears in our eyes

Hope is a beautiful thing & beautiful things never dies

Hope is ubiquitous and free of cost

Hope is the last thing ever lost

Old
12-04-2012, 03:35 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopistar View Post
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund
just talked to a source in Montreal, "Hearing we are getting somewhere…." remember…not too high not too low. just wait and see.
Well, this post was a buzzkill.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:41 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
Henrik Sedin usually measures his words carefully and tries not to offend anyone. However, the frustrated Vancouver Canucks captain felt offended Monday, so he spewed some NHL lockout venom.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/In...#ixzz2E4Rkxvn7