HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Thread XI: Believe with Steve!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-04-2012, 08:07 AM
  #326
Rubber Biscuit
Noted Loui Apologist
 
Rubber Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Ah...so because football is more popular in the Boston area than hockey and therefore he hosts a football show, he's a 'football guy'.

Fair enough.
I'm pretty sure earlier in this thread someone mentioned he has some sort of exclusivity with Pats coverage in the area? I could be mistaken, but I think that's where the football label comes from.

Rubber Biscuit is online now  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:14 AM
  #327
optimus2861
Registered User
 
optimus2861's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Some other nuggets from the article above:

“You never know what to expect,” said Canucks centre Manny Malhotra, a member of the 31-player negotiating committee. “We thought there were a few key dates for them [owners] where there may have been a deal done. This will get done when they feel like getting it done. I certainly hope there’s room to gain some traction and that it’s not just a dog-and-pony show.”
*sigh* Yet more evidence that the players genuinely believed the owners were holding a "back pocket offer" that would emerge at some "drop dead date". Its absence is completely confusing the players; they cannot seem to process the notion that there is no such offer and that the players are either misguided or have been misled.

Quote:
Bieksa:
“That’s the one thing we’ve kind of been puzzled by in this whole negotiation,” he said. “When do they want to settle and what do they want to settle for? Is it just a money issue or the contracting rights and what are the reasons for them? Owners doing it face-to-face [Tuesday] with players on their team and to look those guys in the eye, it should be good.”
This one is harder to parse; it's as if the players don't quite believe that what the owners have asked for in 50/50 plus contract rule changes is really "it". They expect the league to drop one demand or the other and give them something in exchange to get the "must have" item. The players won't concede on either 50/50 or the contract rules until they can figure out which one the league really wants; they can't process the possibility that the league is being honest with them and really wants both, nor do they grasp that the league won't actually offer them anything substantial without the players sitting at the table and asking for it.

No cohesive strategy to be found in these quotes. Just more PA intransigence and whining.

optimus2861 is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:19 AM
  #328
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,528
vCash: 500
It's not surprising though, Fehr has been talking about fake deadlines for months now so it's only normal that players would be told the same.

I expect them to be severely disappointed with the last offer to come before the full season is gone.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:22 AM
  #329
McRib
2nd Rate Fan
 
McRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,381
vCash: 500
Bettman needs to throw the NHLPA a big enough bone to get players talking and you'll see some splintering in the union among moderates and hardliners. Especially now with some players being frustrated with the lack of that "best offer" (they saw it in October... 82 games.)

As for the report out of Boston, I know it's very unlikely, but the first step to the lockout ending last time around was a secret meeting between Daly and Saskin where the NHLPA accepted a salary cap. So while it's likely not 100% true, it wouldn't surprise me if it were sort of true.

McRib is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:23 AM
  #330
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Ah...so because football is more popular in the Boston area than hockey and therefore he hosts a football show, he's a 'football guy'.

Fair enough.

I mean, in Chicago we have 2 former football players doing news, Mike Adamle and Dan Jiggetts. Doesn't mean they don't have knowledge of other sports and potentially valuable sources in those sports as well.
Adamle is jamacain me crazy

frankthefrowner is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:27 AM
  #331
isles31
Poster Excellont
 
isles31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 3,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I feel bad for Burton

He is putting his rep on line and is going to be awfully disappointed when he realizes he was played

Not sure if this is NHLPA or Jacobs ploy but the simple reality is this poor guy is going to take a beating

NHL season is dead ,, It died a longtime ago

I admire those of you still trying to hold out hope but I learned long ago that disappointment is much easier to accept when you have no belief in hope
Me too, but can you imagine the pub he would get if this actually were to happen. Everyone in the hockey world is saying no or they dont think so except this dude. Hes like eklund, except with enough balls to do it on TV.

That said, Im not banking on it.

isles31 is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:34 AM
  #332
bp13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Ah...so because football is more popular in the Boston area than hockey and therefore he hosts a football show, he's a 'football guy'.

Fair enough.

I mean, in Chicago we have 2 former football players doing news, Mike Adamle and Dan Jiggetts. Doesn't mean they don't have knowledge of other sports and potentially valuable sources in those sports as well.
That's probably not true though. Hockey is huge in Boston.

Burton is absolutely clued into the football community in these parts. It would be a bit surprising that he'd have inside hockey info, but since he's the Sports Director at WBZ and they are the Bruins radio station, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he'd have some inside info. I'd call this a one in a million, but it's at least a faint glimmer of hope.

What we have going against us is that my cat could absolutely destroy Steve in a game of Scrabble.

bp13 is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:42 AM
  #333
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,112
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
That's probably not true though. Hockey is huge in Boston.

Burton is absolutely clued into the football community in these parts. It would be a bit surprising that he'd have inside hockey info, but since he's the Sports Director at WBZ and they are the Bruins radio station, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he'd have some inside info. I'd call this a one in a million, but it's at least a faint glimmer of hope.

What we have going against us is that my cat could absolutely destroy Steve in a game of Scrabble.
You think the Bruins are more popular in Boston than the Pats?

When I said hockey, I was talking NHL. Not considering college/HS and what not...

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:50 AM
  #334
kfan22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 890
vCash: 500
What time is the meeting today??

kfan22 is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:51 AM
  #335
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
What time is the meeting today??
2 pm

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:51 AM
  #336
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,112
vCash: 772
2 et

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:52 AM
  #337
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,655
vCash: 50
I can totally see the scenario where Bettman has taken the stance with the owners from the beginning that he was going to take a very hard line and be the bad cop in the negotiations, and that when the time was right and he felt they had moved the NHLPA as far as possible to their demands he would recuse himself to clear the air and let the deal take place. This seems like that time now

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:54 AM
  #338
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 26,778
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
You think the Bruins are more popular in Boston than the Pats?

When I said hockey, I was talking NHL. Not considering college/HS and what not...
I'll weigh in since I am regularly go to 30 plus regular season Bruins games and have since Orr played; family has Patriots season tickets and been to all but one game so far, and split Red Sox

Boston is Red Sox and Patriots BUT they love the Bruins- they are a cult....very, very popular. Now my kid plays HS and certainly we are in a lot of rinks but Patriots are number 1

DKH is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:56 AM
  #339
Mattiboy13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
I think it is still kind of strange that the main reporters instead of shooting down the rumors totally, have said " I havent heard that or something of that nature".

I really believe things are going to get interesting here.

If there cant get their stuff together this week then the season is bye-bye and I think everyone knows that.

Mattiboy13 is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 09:07 AM
  #340
McRib
2nd Rate Fan
 
McRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattiboy13 View Post
I think it is still kind of strange that the main reporters instead of shooting down the rumors totally, have said " I havent heard that or something of that nature".

I really believe things are going to get interesting here.

If there cant get their stuff together this week then the season is bye-bye and I think everyone knows that.
I wonder how much of that comes from the fact that the original story is coming out of Boston, where Jacobs would have pretty good control of all the NHL news getting to the media.

McRib is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 09:08 AM
  #341
Nanuk23
Registered User
 
Nanuk23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 382
vCash: 500
GRANGE ON CBA: GET THE MESSAGE


http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...t_the_message/

Nanuk23 is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 09:11 AM
  #342
Mattiboy13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I wonder how much of that comes from the fact that the original story is coming out of Boston, where Jacobs would have pretty good control of all the NHL news getting to the media.
You could definately be correct. I dont think Jacobs would make this up to the reporter and have him lose any credibility he has in the local or national market though either.

I dont care what people report or say is true or not true. Who knows what came of it but I am fairly confident that this "secret meeting" absolutely happened yesterday.

Mattiboy13 is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 09:17 AM
  #343
sunnydaycrash
Registered User
 
sunnydaycrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk23 View Post
^this is the reality of the situation !

sunnydaycrash is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 09:20 AM
  #344
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood
 
Ragamuffin Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 15,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...OpQSdoChQaykLJ

The owners look like fools. NHL proposes changes. Teams rushed out to re-sign players to long term contracts. Then the NHL becomes inflexible on term limits,salary arbitration and free agency.

Its Day #80 of the lockout.
You can't be serious.

Locking up young star players for as long as possible right before you knew that those contracts would become illegal is an incredibly smart move.

And how many times do I have to say that the contract rules are for the GMs, not the players before people get it? These rules are to protect GMs from other GMs by closing cap circumventing loopholes. Thy have nothing to do with the players.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 09:24 AM
  #345
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,073
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I wonder how much of that comes from the fact that the original story is coming out of Boston, where Jacobs would have pretty good control of all the NHL news getting to the media.
its not even just the city where jacobs has control over, it was his news station where the news was leaked, so he basically had full control over it.

so if this didn't come directly from jacobs and one of his reporters broke this news, i can guarantee someone would be losing there job for jumping the gun on this news.

Barrie22 is online now  
Old
12-04-2012, 09:26 AM
  #346
bp13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
its not even just the city where jacobs has control over, it was his news station where the news was leaked, so he basically had full control over it.
It's not his news station. Don't put that out there as it's inaccurate.

WBZ has radio rights to the Bruins. That may or may not mean there's a close relationship there, but Jeremy Jacobs does not own WBZ.

bp13 is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 09:29 AM
  #347
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,073
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
It's not his news station. Don't put that out there as it's inaccurate.

WBZ has radio rights to the Bruins. That may or may not mean there's a close relationship there, but Jeremy Jacobs does not own WBZ.
aha must of mis read it last night, my bad.

Barrie22 is online now  
Old
12-04-2012, 09:38 AM
  #348
MeestaDeteta
Registered User
 
MeestaDeteta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Saskazoo
Posts: 7,379
vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Bettman needs to throw the NHLPA a big enough bone to get players talking and you'll see some splintering in the union among moderates and hardliners. Especially now with some players being frustrated with the lack of that "best offer" (they saw it in October... 82 games.)

As for the report out of Boston, I know it's very unlikely, but the first step to the lockout ending last time around was a secret meeting between Daly and Saskin where the NHLPA accepted a salary cap. So while it's likely not 100% true, it wouldn't surprise me if it were sort of true.
I know very little about this Burton fellow, but it seems like he's a pretty reputable guy. Now, I don't think we're as close to a deal as he is implying; however, I do think there's some truth behind his comments. My guess is that there was some type of "secret" meeting, and some headway was made, but whether or not that translates into an agreement remains to be seen.

MeestaDeteta is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 09:41 AM
  #349
sunnydaycrash
Registered User
 
sunnydaycrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
You can't be serious.

Locking up young star players for as long as possible right before you knew that those contracts would become illegal is an incredibly smart move.

And how many times do I have to say that the contract rules are for the GMs, not the players before people get it? These rules are to protect GMs from other GMs by closing cap circumventing loopholes. Thy have nothing to do with the players.
Larry Brooks is an idiot, plain and simple

sunnydaycrash is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 09:42 AM
  #350
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TO
Country: Canada
Posts: 996
vCash: 500
Bettman and Fehr are meeting to hammer out the economic side, percentages and escrow stuff.

Owners and players are meeting to finalize player contracting issues.

Deal announced tomorrow before BoG meetings.

Hanklite* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.