HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Thread XI: Believe with Steve!

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Rubber Biscuit
Noted Loui Apologist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Ah...so because football is more popular in the Boston area than hockey and therefore he hosts a football show, he's a 'football guy'.

Fair enough.
I'm pretty sure earlier in this thread someone mentioned he has some sort of exclusivity with Pats coverage in the area? I could be mistaken, but I think that's where the football label comes from.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:14 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Some other nuggets from the article above:

“You never know what to expect,” said Canucks centre Manny Malhotra, a member of the 31-player negotiating committee. “We thought there were a few key dates for them [owners] where there may have been a deal done. This will get done when they feel like getting it done. I certainly hope there’s room to gain some traction and that it’s not just a dog-and-pony show.”
*sigh* Yet more evidence that the players genuinely believed the owners were holding a "back pocket offer" that would emerge at some "drop dead date". Its absence is completely confusing the players; they cannot seem to process the notion that there is no such offer and that the players are either misguided or have been misled.

Quote:
Bieksa:
“That’s the one thing we’ve kind of been puzzled by in this whole negotiation,” he said. “When do they want to settle and what do they want to settle for? Is it just a money issue or the contracting rights and what are the reasons for them? Owners doing it face-to-face [Tuesday] with players on their team and to look those guys in the eye, it should be good.”
This one is harder to parse; it's as if the players don't quite believe that what the owners have asked for in 50/50 plus contract rule changes is really "it". They expect the league to drop one demand or the other and give them something in exchange to get the "must have" item. The players won't concede on either 50/50 or the contract rules until they can figure out which one the league really wants; they can't process the possibility that the league is being honest with them and really wants both, nor do they grasp that the league won't actually offer them anything substantial without the players sitting at the table and asking for it.

No cohesive strategy to be found in these quotes. Just more PA intransigence and whining.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:19 AM
CerebralGenesis

It's not surprising though, Fehr has been talking about fake deadlines for months now so it's only normal that players would be told the same.

I expect them to be severely disappointed with the last offer to come before the full season is gone.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:22 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Bettman needs to throw the NHLPA a big enough bone to get players talking and you'll see some splintering in the union among moderates and hardliners. Especially now with some players being frustrated with the lack of that "best offer" (they saw it in October... 82 games.)

As for the report out of Boston, I know it's very unlikely, but the first step to the lockout ending last time around was a secret meeting between Daly and Saskin where the NHLPA accepted a salary cap. So while it's likely not 100% true, it wouldn't surprise me if it were sort of true.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:23 AM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Ah...so because football is more popular in the Boston area than hockey and therefore he hosts a football show, he's a 'football guy'.

Fair enough.

I mean, in Chicago we have 2 former football players doing news, Mike Adamle and Dan Jiggetts. Doesn't mean they don't have knowledge of other sports and potentially valuable sources in those sports as well.
Adamle is jamacain me crazy

Old
12-04-2012, 08:27 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I feel bad for Burton

He is putting his rep on line and is going to be awfully disappointed when he realizes he was played

Not sure if this is NHLPA or Jacobs ploy but the simple reality is this poor guy is going to take a beating

NHL season is dead ,, It died a longtime ago

I admire those of you still trying to hold out hope but I learned long ago that disappointment is much easier to accept when you have no belief in hope
Me too, but can you imagine the pub he would get if this actually were to happen. Everyone in the hockey world is saying no or they dont think so except this dude. Hes like eklund, except with enough balls to do it on TV.

That said, Im not banking on it.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:34 AM
bp13

Quote:

Fair enough.

I mean, in Chicago we have 2 former football players doing news, Mike Adamle and Dan Jiggetts. Doesn't mean they don't have knowledge of other sports and potentially valuable sources in those sports as well.
That's probably not true though. Hockey is huge in Boston.

Burton is absolutely clued into the football community in these parts. It would be a bit surprising that he'd have inside hockey info, but since he's the Sports Director at WBZ and they are the Bruins radio station, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he'd have some inside info. I'd call this a one in a million, but it's at least a faint glimmer of hope.

What we have going against us is that my cat could absolutely destroy Steve in a game of Scrabble.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:42 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
That's probably not true though. Hockey is huge in Boston.

Burton is absolutely clued into the football community in these parts. It would be a bit surprising that he'd have inside hockey info, but since he's the Sports Director at WBZ and they are the Bruins radio station, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he'd have some inside info. I'd call this a one in a million, but it's at least a faint glimmer of hope.

What we have going against us is that my cat could absolutely destroy Steve in a game of Scrabble.
You think the Bruins are more popular in Boston than the Pats?

When I said hockey, I was talking NHL. Not considering college/HS and what not...

Old
12-04-2012, 08:50 AM
kfan22

What time is the meeting today??

Old
12-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
What time is the meeting today??
2 pm

Old
12-04-2012, 08:51 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
2 et

Old
12-04-2012, 08:52 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
I can totally see the scenario where Bettman has taken the stance with the owners from the beginning that he was going to take a very hard line and be the bad cop in the negotiations, and that when the time was right and he felt they had moved the NHLPA as far as possible to their demands he would recuse himself to clear the air and let the deal take place. This seems like that time now

Old
12-04-2012, 08:54 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
You think the Bruins are more popular in Boston than the Pats?

When I said hockey, I was talking NHL. Not considering college/HS and what not...
I'll weigh in since I am regularly go to 30 plus regular season Bruins games and have since Orr played; family has Patriots season tickets and been to all but one game so far, and split Red Sox

Boston is Red Sox and Patriots BUT they love the Bruins- they are a cult....very, very popular. Now my kid plays HS and certainly we are in a lot of rinks but Patriots are number 1

Old
12-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Mattiboy13

I think it is still kind of strange that the main reporters instead of shooting down the rumors totally, have said " I havent heard that or something of that nature".

I really believe things are going to get interesting here.

If there cant get their stuff together this week then the season is bye-bye and I think everyone knows that.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:07 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattiboy13 View Post
I think it is still kind of strange that the main reporters instead of shooting down the rumors totally, have said " I havent heard that or something of that nature".

I really believe things are going to get interesting here.

If there cant get their stuff together this week then the season is bye-bye and I think everyone knows that.
I wonder how much of that comes from the fact that the original story is coming out of Boston, where Jacobs would have pretty good control of all the NHL news getting to the media.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Nanuk23

GRANGE ON CBA: GET THE MESSAGE

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...t_the_message/

Old
12-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Mattiboy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I wonder how much of that comes from the fact that the original story is coming out of Boston, where Jacobs would have pretty good control of all the NHL news getting to the media.
You could definately be correct. I dont think Jacobs would make this up to the reporter and have him lose any credibility he has in the local or national market though either.

I dont care what people report or say is true or not true. Who knows what came of it but I am fairly confident that this "secret meeting" absolutely happened yesterday.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:17 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk23 View Post
^this is the reality of the situation !

Old
12-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...OpQSdoChQaykLJ

The owners look like fools. NHL proposes changes. Teams rushed out to re-sign players to long term contracts. Then the NHL becomes inflexible on term limits,salary arbitration and free agency.

Its Day #80 of the lockout.
You can't be serious.

Locking up young star players for as long as possible right before you knew that those contracts would become illegal is an incredibly smart move.

And how many times do I have to say that the contract rules are for the GMs, not the players before people get it? These rules are to protect GMs from other GMs by closing cap circumventing loopholes. Thy have nothing to do with the players.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
its not even just the city where jacobs has control over, it was his news station where the news was leaked, so he basically had full control over it.

so if this didn't come directly from jacobs and one of his reporters broke this news, i can guarantee someone would be losing there job for jumping the gun on this news.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:26 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
its not even just the city where jacobs has control over, it was his news station where the news was leaked, so he basically had full control over it.
It's not his news station. Don't put that out there as it's inaccurate.

WBZ has radio rights to the Bruins. That may or may not mean there's a close relationship there, but Jeremy Jacobs does not own WBZ.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
It's not his news station. Don't put that out there as it's inaccurate.

WBZ has radio rights to the Bruins. That may or may not mean there's a close relationship there, but Jeremy Jacobs does not own WBZ.
aha must of mis read it last night, my bad.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:38 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Bettman needs to throw the NHLPA a big enough bone to get players talking and you'll see some splintering in the union among moderates and hardliners. Especially now with some players being frustrated with the lack of that "best offer" (they saw it in October... 82 games.)

As for the report out of Boston, I know it's very unlikely, but the first step to the lockout ending last time around was a secret meeting between Daly and Saskin where the NHLPA accepted a salary cap. So while it's likely not 100% true, it wouldn't surprise me if it were sort of true.
I know very little about this Burton fellow, but it seems like he's a pretty reputable guy. Now, I don't think we're as close to a deal as he is implying; however, I do think there's some truth behind his comments. My guess is that there was some type of "secret" meeting, and some headway was made, but whether or not that translates into an agreement remains to be seen.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:41 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
You can't be serious.

Locking up young star players for as long as possible right before you knew that those contracts would become illegal is an incredibly smart move.

And how many times do I have to say that the contract rules are for the GMs, not the players before people get it? These rules are to protect GMs from other GMs by closing cap circumventing loopholes. Thy have nothing to do with the players.
Larry Brooks is an idiot, plain and simple

Old
12-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro

Bettman and Fehr are meeting to hammer out the economic side, percentages and escrow stuff.

Owners and players are meeting to finalize player contracting issues.

Deal announced tomorrow before BoG meetings.

Closed Thread