HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When did you guys become oilers fans?

Old
07-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Apocalyptic Mist*

vCash: 500
When did you guys become oilers fans?

In light of the Oilers fan appreciation thread, i thought it would be a time to share our stories on how you became an oilers fan. Was it from the begining of the WHA days, the dynasty years, Weight era... etc. and for fans across the oceans or south of the border what about this team keeps you here still through our hard years? not trying to discredit 1 bit, i think this loyalism to the team is amazing and tough to do watching games @ 3am... etc through our bottom 2 finishes 3 years in a row.

For me i have been exposed to hockey when i was younger because when my dad came to canada he came here through the very begining of the dynasty years, he tells me stories all the time as he was a season ticket holder and saw multiple cups and other record breaking achievements... through all of those stories i still wasnt an oilers fan though, i barely paid attention to the game, knew the rules etc. Come time during the lockout Pronger and Peca got traded here and was @ Oilers head quarters with a huge gathering of fans to show their support. I was only in grade 8 at the time so i didnt fully know the significance of the trade but it was cool cause i was there and i shook Prongers hand and same with georges laraque. Come the start of the season i realised that the game of hockey was amazing... watched almost every game of the 05 06 season... and was exposed right off the bat through the most exciting, hard hitting and dominating oilers team in the playoffs... too many story lines in that playoffs like being the 8th seed and beating the presidents trophy winner the detroit red wings in 6 games, goiing down 0-2 against the sharks in round 2 and watching roli save the series in 2nd overtime by a shot from the rocket richard winner cheechoo and winning 4 straight, destroying the ducks in 5 when they were destroying every team they played prior to us, and watching roli get hurt in the 1st game in the scf perservering through it and forcing game 7 against the 2nd seed in the east, the hurricanes... and eventually losibg. All of this only added to my feeling/ pride of the team and have never looked back ever since and supported my team through thuck and thin.

sory for the wall of text lol. just miss hockey :]

Apocalyptic Mist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:03 PM
monkeywrench

vCash: 50
In 89 when I popped out of my mother!

monkeywrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:13 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 10185
The year the Oilers beat Montreal in 1st round of the playoffs. Yeah, I'm dating myself.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
The year the Oilers beat Montreal in 1st round of the playoffs. Yeah, I'm dating myself.
It must be a proud moment though... beating the ever almighty habs... the same team that tried to deny us the oilers in the nhl lol.

Apocalyptic Mist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Tailens

I became a fan in 1987, when I was 5

Tailens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:22 PM
jbean

I can remember having hockey cards and liking the Oilers ever since I was about 3 years old. I didn't know much about the players on the team or how well they played, but I know they used to be good and I knew all about Gretzky and the stanley cups. The 1996/97 season (I was aged 7) was the earliest I can remember watching games and following the team. Cujo, Jason Arnott, and Ryan Smyth were the first Oilers I can remember liking. The upset over Dallas was one of the best hockey memories of my life.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
05-06, when I moved to the city. Turns out I had pretty good timing in that regard.

I was a pretty casual Leafs fan at the time, could've told you maybe a dozen players on the team and in the system. I hadn't really followed hockey since the heyday of Gilmour, and had really fallen out of it in the early 2000s. That said, I caught the fever in a huge way. Fell in love with the fans, team, and history. Learned everything I could about everyone I could and the rest is history. No regrets.

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:38 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Born in Edmonton and raised as an Oilers fan. I never had a choice.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:57 PM
oilersfan11

1986-1987-season

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Auguste Escoffier

The '97 playoffs when we overcame a 3-1 deficit in the last 5 minutes against the Stars. I was 8. I used to watch Oilers games prior, but that was the moment my love for the Oilers evolved into something great.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:14 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Followed the Oilers casually as a kid, became a hardcore fan after 2005-2006 playoff run. Still waiting for a similar experience.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Asuno

Since I was 5. 19 years old now.

Asuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:33 PM
doubledown99

Season after Gretz was traded. We moved here the Nov after he was traded. My Mom was a fan from beginning. Loved Gretz but my love started when we moved here. Was also just old enough to actually comprehend what I was watching. The loss in playoffs that season cemented my love. Cheered so hard and was heartbroken when we were knocked out of playoffs.

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Born and bred Edmontonian, so basically it's a part of my DNA.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Vdhawan89
Connor McMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Born in Edmonton and raised as an Oilers fan. I never had a choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Born and bred Edmontonian, so basically it's a part of my DNA.
This. I dont ever remember not being a fan...

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:48 PM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 512
Born and raised to bleed Blue and Orange.

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
05-06, when I moved to the city. Turns out I had pretty good timing in that regard.

I was a pretty casual Leafs fan at the time, could've told you maybe a dozen players on the team and in the system. I hadn't really followed hockey since the heyday of Gilmour, and had really fallen out of it in the early 2000s. That said, I caught the fever in a huge way. Fell in love with the fans, team, and history. Learned everything I could about everyone I could and the rest is history. No regrets.
Or bad timing, depending on your perspective

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:05 AM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Since I was born. Then my cousin got drafted by the Oilers and my fate was sealed

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Sayuri

Mid to late nineties is when I started to watch regularly. I had a boyfriend who was a big fan and I became one by extension and it just stuck with me after we broke up.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:09 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

I grew up a Jets fan and didn't watch much hockey for a couple years after they relocated. Always liked the Oilers though, I was a little kid when Gretzky was on the team and he was my hero. Became a true Oilers fan around 2000 though, that's when they became my team.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Since the WHA days, when my father used to take me to Oiler games, but I recall the dynasty years with probably the most fondness. Beating Montreal was amazing for the city. No one could really believe it as it was happening at the time.

Then all those cup teams: 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, and 1990.

I'm anticipating this upcoming season quite a bit. Last season, this team really showed itself for a few games, demonstrating what amazing, raw potential it has for the future. I'm hoping that this year's team will be a little reminiscent of the 1982 Oilers. It's a good time to be an Oiler fan.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

1978wha 11 years old first cup win

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 01:02 AM
GrandLarseny
Klingberg Stan

vCash: 375
2006 Stanley Cup run. My family consists of many hockey fans but I never took a liking to it until then. That run showed me how much emotion and effort goes into such an exciting game. So i basically jumped the bandwagon but then became a die-hard fan.

GrandLarseny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 01:20 AM
abootzky

When the WHA started in 1972, the Philadelphia Flyers were my favorite NHL team. Being from Edmonton I liked the Oilers by default but was more rabid in my support of the Flyers mostly because they were in their Stanley Cup winning glory years while the WHA Oil were pretty mediocre during their first 6 seasons.

It was during the last of those so-so seasons (1977-78) that my attitude changed. I was in high school and a volunteer for St. John Ambulance. Only one other guy in our division was interested in sports so he and I started working at all of the Oilers home games. The crowds at Northlands weren't huge but they were enthusiastic. Also luckily for them nobody in the crowd got seriously hurt while I was on duty because I was really just there for the free hockey. It was Glen Sather's first full season as head coach and the team withstood a serious injury bug to make the playoffs. By the time Wayne Gretzky arrived early the following season, the Flyers were already on the back burner because I was a full-fledged Oilers fan.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:48 AM
KCC

The 80's. I remember the glory years well.

KCC is offline   Reply With Quote