HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official OKC Barons 12/13 Thread:

Old
01-19-2013, 11:42 PM
SDig14

vCash: 500
According to Kyper on Twitter OKC signed Cheechoo to a tryout.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Baronsfan

Good on Bill Scott, and OKC getting Cheechoo on a tryout and presumably an AHL deal. Also, sounds as if Bill Scott is not done yet, still trying to improve this team.

Here's an article http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-baro...rticle/3747625 that also hints that OKC is expected to sign another player later this week in addition to Cheechoo. I understand that this team is pretty thin, but I hope we don't go out and sign too many players because guys by the likes of Martindale, Pitlick, Rajala, etc. have really benefitted from the additional ice time this weekend. Fingers crossed the "mystery signing" to come later this week is a Dman.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:34 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsfan View Post
Good on Bill Scott, and OKC getting Cheechoo on a tryout and presumably an AHL deal. Also, sounds as if Bill Scott is not done yet, still trying to improve this team.

Here's an article http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-baro...rticle/3747625 that also hints that OKC is expected to sign another player later this week in addition to Cheechoo. I understand that this team is pretty thin, but I hope we don't go out and sign too many players because guys by the likes of Martindale, Pitlick, Rajala, etc. have really benefitted from the additional ice time this weekend. Fingers crossed the "mystery signing" to come later this week is a Dman.
Does it look to you like this team is playing more like last years squad since the NHL'ers left. They don't have the coring punch but they are playing mor elike a team with solid efforts across the board.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:00 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Does it look to you like this team is playing more like last years squad since the NHL'ers left. They don't have the coring punch but they are playing mor elike a team with solid efforts across the board.
I would say so, especially this weekend. Last night was exactly the type of game the Barons need to win. The 2-1 and 3-2 games have to start going into our favor if we want to stay anywhere near a playoff spot. The boys just kept grinding it out and outworked the Rampage which led to the win. What I'm mostly pleased with is how much rubber they are throwing on net and how they are getting traffic in front. This team will need to play lunch pail hockey and get those greasy goals.

Roy made some big saves, and definitely had a good weekend. I was actually hoping to see Bunz tonight, but good on Roy to elevate his game in Danis' absence. The lines seem to really be clicking with some nice chemistry, especially the 2nd and 3rd lines of Rajala-Lander-Pelss and Byers-Martindale-Pitlick. The 1st line of Green-Arcobello-Cornet has been relatively quiet, but they are creating some chances.

Pitlick left the ice with OKC's trainer with about 5 or so minutes left. Looked to be hobbling as he got off the ice. Hope it is nothing serious as he looked to be getting his feet back under him with a solid weekend.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:06 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:
I would say so, especially this weekend. Last night was exactly the type of game the Barons need to win. The 2-1 and 3-2 games have to start going into our favor if we want to stay anywhere near a playoff spot. The boys just kept grinding it out and outworked the Rampage which led to the win. What I'm mostly pleased with is how much rubber they are throwing on net and how they are getting traffic in front. This team will need to play lunch pail hockey and get those greasy goals.

Roy made some big saves, and definitely had a good weekend. I was actually hoping to see Bunz tonight, but good on Roy to elevate his game in Danis' absence. The lines seem to really be clicking with some nice chemistry, especially the 2nd and 3rd lines of Rajala-Lander-Pelss and Byers-Martindale-Pitlick. The 1st line of Green-Arcobello-Cornet has been relatively quiet, but they are creating some chances.

Pitlick left the ice with OKC's trainer with about 5 or so minutes left. Looked to be hobbling as he got off the ice. Hope it is nothing serious as he looked to be getting his feet back under him with a solid weekend.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:23 AM
Fourier

Quote:

Arcobello seems to be trying to make things happen but I have been disapointed in what I saw out of Green and Cornet. I thought these guys would step up, especially Green.

I love what I have seen from the Rajala-Lander-Pelss line. Pless ives them a lot of energy, and Rajala is a very skilled guy. I also think Lander is really findinghis game.

It would be great to see Pitlick and Martindale find some chemistry. I am a big Martindale fan as I watched him a lot when he was in Ottawa. In his last year there he not only provided a lot of offense but was the guy they put out for all key draws and in the last minutes while defending a lead.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:09 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Arcobello seems to be trying to make things happen but I have been disapointed in what I saw out of Green and Cornet. I thought these guys would step up, especially Green.

I love what I have seen from the Rajala-Lander-Pelss line. Pless ives them a lot of energy, and Rajala is a very skilled guy. I also think Lander is really findinghis game.

It would be great to see Pitlick and Martindale find some chemistry. I am a big Martindale fan as I watched him a lot when he was in Ottawa. In his last year there he not only provided a lot of offense but was the guy they put out for all key draws and in the last minutes while defending a lead.
Agreed on the first line. Arcobello definitely has been the straw that stirs any kind of chances when they're on the ice. Cornet just doesn't seem like the same guy who put up the first half numbers he did last season. You knew he couldnt keep up the pace of 15 goals in 19 games, but since then he has like 8 or 9 in his last 70 or so AHL games. They will need production out of them two, especially Green.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Agreed on the first line. Arcobello definitely has been the straw that stirs any kind of chances when they're on the ice. Cornet just doesn't seem like the same guy who put up the first half numbers he did last season. You knew he couldnt keep up the pace of 15 goals in 19 games, but since then he has like 8 or 9 in his last 70 or so AHL games. They will need production out of them two, especially Green.
Thanks for stopping by. Your comments and those of all the OKC people are always appreciated.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:51 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
I have to ask, but what has Cheechoo being doing this year? Guy had 25g and 56 points last year. I know he is no where near what he was at one time, but that's pretty solid numbers. Was he just a victim of the lockout?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Barons sign defenseman Brett Clark.

http://okcbarons.com/index.cfm?fa=pr...F-03B0A935BC07

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:46 AM
GMofOilers

Nice to see my cuz clark join our team, to bad its OKC but hes good enough to be in the big leagues still

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:51 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Clark will be a nice boost for the Barons D, but a little surprising he couldn't get an NHL contract.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:54 AM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Clark will be a nice boost for the Barons D, but a little surprising he couldn't get an NHL contract.
Oh they have been trying trust me, just way to hard with only a 48 game season and the lockout.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:59 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
We've seen this for awhile now. Teams are electing to try their kids instead of older vets on their last couple years.

Clark does well he'll get a NHL contract. He just has to play well and wait.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:31 AM
dnicks17

Nice.

Clark is exactly what the doctor ordered.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:48 AM
awesomo
HARD!

I'm also surprised he couldn't land a job in the NHL

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 50
I am really surprise that Clark is 36 yrs old. This is most likely the main reason why he did not receive any NHL contract offers. He's one of those victims of the lockout. He's had a pretty decent NHL career too.

Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Spawn

Sounds like two great pick-ups.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Good on the Barons. They needed some AHL ringers and they went out and got them.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:12 PM
40oz

Definetly wanted the Oilers to sign Clark... Close enough.

Sucks that Pitlick is hurt though, could be out up to six weeks.

Green - Arco - Cheechoo
Byers - Martindale - Cornet
Pelss - Lander - Rajala
Hamilton - VandeVelde - Lizon

Clark - Fedun
Deck - Teubert
Marincin - Lafranchise

Not a bad lineup though, certainly looks better than it did a week ago.

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:34 PM
BadMedicine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Definetly wanted the Oilers to sign Clark... Close enough.

Sucks that Pitlick is hurt though, could be out up to six weeks.

Green - Arco - Cheechoo
Byers - Martindale - Cornet
Pelss - Lander - Rajala
Hamilton - VandeVelde - Lizon

Clark - Fedun
Deck - Teubert
Marincin - Lafranchise

Not a bad lineup though, certainly looks better than it did a week ago.

Byers-Arco-Rajala
Green-lander-Cheechoo
Hamilton-VV-Cornet
Green-Martindale-Lizon

I believe coach nelson needs to switch to a controlled 3 transition style of game,it will be harder to do in the AHL than running a fastbreak type of system or a more defensive type of system.He needs to use his first pass or puck movment out of his own end to catalyse his 3 transitions and always build from there if possible.The first move needs to force the forcheck to back off by presenting a rushing threat when its one forchecker,the d-men all need to be able to at least rush the puck ten to fifteen feet right at the forcheckers to force them to alter their lines and angles of attack,it is easier to make the first move if you are dictating their options,if you are not going right at them and static then they close on you like a fighter plane on a bomber--fast,hard and terminal.

The second transition must use the neutral zone whichever way suits the specific opponent this means it can be a straight through pass-or rush-or a reverse,and the 3rd transition must be followed by an immediate high percentage shot ASAP,minimal passing in the o-zone until the first shot is taken the the rebounds can be tossed around more but that 1st shot must be the first best type by whomever-wherever has the puck upon o-zone entry.The idea is NOT to make the perfect o-zone entry and pretty 3 way passing play or end to end rush,the idea is to get a fast shot as the zone is flooded with our numbers waiting for the rebound and second shot.We want to convert every possible possesion into an o-zone entry and at least on good shot and hopfully two.No dump-ins,no voluntary giveaways.

The best way to replicate the style the Oilers are beiing forced to play is to use the neutral zone to develop an upspeed man tactic,flood the o-zone together in numbers and then have a late man come through just as the first shot is taken at superior speed.Let Lander catalyse the 2nd line the way MPS was doing,tell his linemates to just listen to him for a few games and then you will have your 2nd line anchor back.

The idea is to use a possesion/transition style supported by momentum control and superior on ice positioning for 60 mins.This system should produce 40+shots per game and 4 goals per game.Its called the NewAge Hockey System.Might be worth a try.

BadMedicine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:58 PM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

What's the case with Pitlick?

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
What's the case with Pitlick?
Had an MRI on his knee from an Injury from Saturday. Last I heard he is out for around 6 weeks.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:28 PM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Quote:
Had an MRI on his knee from an Injury from Saturday. Last I heard he is out for around 6 weeks.
Thanks! Thought he was out with a concussion.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Thanks! Thought he was out with a concussion.
He did have a concussion earlier in the season, that made him miss a pretty substantial amount of time. Since his injury he has been playing better, picking up a couple nice assists on Martindale's goals last weekend. That's why this injury couldn't come at a worse time for Pitlick, he seemed to just be starting to turn the corner and it was only a matter of time before he would be getting some puck luck.