HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Brian Leetch - Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
12-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

vCash: 500
Brian Leetch - Toronto Maple Leafs

For anyone who has watched Brian Leetch just prior to the lock-out with maple leafs, can anyone give the description of how well he played for the Leafs? Was he great or good or a disappointment?

I know he was already quite old at the time but his stats in the short stint look really impressive.

I really if the Lock-out didn't happen and Leetch stayed for an extra year, then we could have arguably won the cup with that 2004 roster.

Because I picture Leetch into my head, I think of him in a Leafs jersey. Just me personally.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:28 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
For anyone who has watched Brian Leetch just prior to the lock-out with maple leafs, can anyone give the description of how well he played for the Leafs? Was he great or good or a disappointment?

I know he was already quite old at the time but his stats in the short stint look really impressive.

I really if the Lock-out didn't happen and Leetch stayed for an extra year, then we could have arguably won the cup with that 2004 roster.

Because I picture Leetch into my head, I think of him in a Leafs jersey. Just me personally.
He was fine. And you had the opportunity to grab him back - he played with the Bruins after the lockout.

And I don't think TO had legit a shot at the Cup with or without him. Good team, but teams like Tampa and Philly were still around.

BrindamoursNose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Stephen

Leetch was awesome in his short stint in Toronto. Just an electric skater and really dynamic offensively even at that age.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
He was fine. And you had the opportunity to grab him back - he played with the Bruins after the lockout.

And I don't think TO had legit a shot at the Cup with or without him. Good team, but teams like Tampa and Philly were still around.
I still remember that 2004 run against Philly. Only if Roenick didn't bend us over, we would have had a serious chance at grabbing the cup.

Fair enough though, Philly and Tampa were also great that year.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Leetch was awesome in his short stint in Toronto. Just an electric skater and really dynamic offensively even at that age.
15 points in 15 regular season games and 6 points in 13 play-off games is really something at that age as a defence-men.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
So do you picture Sundin with a Canucks jersey?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
So do you picture Sundin with a Canucks jersey?
I do, but I don't picture Leetch as a Leaf though

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Crease

Quote:
15 points in 15 regular season games and 6 points in 13 play-off games is really something at that age as a defence-men.
He was a fantastic talent. Top 25 defenseman of all-time. It's such a shame the Rangers managed to waste his early 30's.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny B. Goode

Quote:
I still remember that 2004 run against Philly. Only if Roenick didn't bend us over, we would have had a serious chance at grabbing the cup.

Fair enough though, Philly and Tampa were also great that year.
What? The Leafs were lucky to be in that series.

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Best Ranger I've seen in my life time.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Elever
Hth

The problem with the Leafs team before the lockout was that they brought in too many FAs and good ones at that but these guys didn't have the exhaust in the tank for a long playoff plus bad luck with injuries.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 04:55 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Watched some of those games and Leetch was the best player on Toronto in the games I watched.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:06 AM
tony d
The franchise

One of the better defensemen of his era. Leetch seemed to be good everywhere he went.

12-05-2012, 10:21 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
That's just so weird to me

But I'm sure we all have at least one of these.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Stansfield*

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
The problem with the Leafs team before the lockout was that they brought in too many FAs and good ones at that but these guys didn't have the exhaust in the tank for a long playoff plus bad luck with injuries.
I'd say that they had too much exhaust and not enough gas.

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post

Not to mention Ottawa has Hasek in a non-Olympic year.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Leetch was one of my favourite players in the league before he was traded to the Leafs. What really surprised me after watching him play for the Leafs, was how good he was defensively. It's like he was twice as good as the next best defenceman on the team back then...even though he was considered past his prime.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Big Phil

Leetch was always good at rushing the puck right to the end of his career. He had 79 points in 2001 if that tells you anything. I always thought Leetch was the most dangerous American on Team USA when we faced them. I don't know what it was about him but he was always dangerous in my eyes and just knowing that he could jump into the play with the snap of a finger always left me uneasy. Even offensively Phil Housley didn't do that for me, I don't know why, but I just found Leetch more dangerous with the puck on his stick.

But yes, I was happy to see him as a Leaf and wish we kept him. More and more as time goes by I am nostalgic for that 2004 team. And to think, these were the days when we complained that we were "one player away from winning" and that "Sundin could never carry us". Boy, how much do we want a Sundin or Leetch now huh?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Crease

Leetch was fantastic with the puck on his stick. So much so that his defense tends to be just a tad underrated, IMO. That being said, Beukeboom gave him the opportunity to do his thing. Sometimes I wonder where Leetch would have ended up on the All-Time Defenseman list had Matt Johnson not suckered Beuke in '98. They were a match made in heaven.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Best Ranger I've seen in my life time.
King Henrik has surpassed him imo.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
King Henrik has surpassed him imo.
Not a chance. Get some more hardware and a Conn Smythe on his shelf. Personally, I think it's an absolute travesty at how Leetch's tenure with the Rangers was wasted-in particular the last few years. Not to mention it was bush league the manner in which he was traded. A complete joke.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
What do you mean bad luck with injuries? Its not like Dougie had a career ending injury his first game back or anything...

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:30 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Leetch was always good at rushing the puck right to the end of his career. He had 79 points in 2001 if that tells you anything. I always thought Leetch was the most dangerous American on Team USA when we faced them. I don't know what it was about him but he was always dangerous in my eyes and just knowing that he could jump into the play with the snap of a finger always left me uneasy. Even offensively Phil Housley didn't do that for me, I don't know why, but I just found Leetch more dangerous with the puck on his stick.

But yes, I was happy to see him as a Leaf and wish we kept him. More and more as time goes by I am nostalgic for that 2004 team. And to think, these were the days when we complained that we were "one player away from winning" and that "Sundin could never carry us". Boy, how much do we want a Sundin or Leetch now huh?
Ahhh the days of two dangerous scoring lines and solid goaltending. I think I'm gonna cry.

I totally agree about the US National teams. They had some great players but when Leetch grabbed the puck and headed up ice it was something different.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:31 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
What do you mean bad luck with injuries? Its not like Dougie had a career ending injury his first game back or anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Ahhh the days of two dangerous scoring lines and solid goaltending. I think I'm gonna cry.

I totally agree about the US National teams. They had some great players but when Leetch grabbed the puck and headed up ice it was something different.

Can you tell it's been a rough time lately in Leafer Land?

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post

Can you tell it's been a rough time lately in Leafer Land?
I know how you feel. The Pens was'nt that good 2002 til 2006, but at least we gets our breaks every once in a while.

Darth Yoda is online now   Reply With Quote