HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

WJC who can beat Canada?

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 01:40 PM
flames12

vCash: 500
WJC who can beat Canada?

This is the best team in years. I'm just wondering if anyone can dance with this team. I know Canada has had problems in net in the past, but the forwards and defence are out of this world. I'm just wondering if any team is a real threat?

Huberdeau-Nuge-Schiefele
Hudon-Strome-Mackinnon
Monahan-Jenner-Rattie
Wilson-Danault-Ritchie
Puempel

Hamilton-Reilly
Ouelette-Harrington
Murphy-Reinhart
Dumba

Old
12-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Alberta tough

Any of the top Countries could beat us.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Muuri

No one. Lets cancel the tournament.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:06 PM
flames12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Any of the top Countries could beat us.
Such as?

Old
12-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames12 View Post
Such as?
Well I would say Sweden, Russia, Finland, and the USA could.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:14 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
It's a single elimination tournament. So the usual suspects obviously got a chance of beating Canada. That said they are the favorites and anything else than a canadian win would be an upset.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
This is the best team in years. I'm just wondering if anyone can dance with this team. I know Canada has had problems in net in the past, but the forwards and defence are out of this world. I'm just wondering if any team is a real threat?

Huberdeau-Nuge-Schiefele
Hudon-Strome-Mackinnon
Monahan-Jenner-Rattie
Wilson-Danault-Ritchie
Puempel

Hamilton-Reilly
Ouelette-Harrington
Murphy-Reinhart
Dumba
If this post is not an example of arrogance, I'm not sure what is. Apart from RNH, this isn't too wildly different from the team that lost two games in August SS. Missing Murray too

Old
12-02-2012, 03:00 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

People will be bookmarking this thread and returning to it in the event that Canada doesn't win the WJC. Never start threads like this. Yes, the NHL lockout will help us out, but this isn't going to be anything like the 2005 team. They'll be good, but any one of the top countries (Russia, USA, Sweden, Finland, hell even the Swiss) have a decent shot at beating us.

Old
12-02-2012, 03:08 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum
If this post is not an example of arrogance, I'm not sure what is. Apart from RNH, this isn't too wildly different from the team that lost two games in August SS. Missing Murray too
I have to agree. It's a great team but not any more special than most years.

USA, Russia and Sweden will definately have a good chance. Also Finland, Czech Rep, and even Switzerland might have a shot when it's a one game elimination tournament. There are so many variables that come together in winning or losing a game that anything can happen. Added to the fact that Canada hasn't won the tournament 3 years in a row suggests that these "does anyone have a chance against Canada" questions are ridiculous.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:01 PM
PaulieVegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Exactly. While we're cancelling the tournament, let's all bow down and sing "O Canada" in unison.

This topic is typical Canadian hockey arrogance.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:37 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
Exactly. While we're cancelling the tournament, let's all bow down and sing "O Canada" in unison.

This topic is typical Canadian hockey arrogance.
Since an american got caught for stealing all Americans are idiots I guess..I hate comments like this don't label a nation for one persons stupid words.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Statsy

Can someone just delete this thread? This topic is completely useless and does nothing more than make Canadians look arrogant, the OP look like a jerk, and alienate fans of every other country.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:41 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

this is the best team we have had in a long time and I do see us as the undisputed favorite to win. That being said and I want to make this VERY clear if we lose PLEASE don't start threads about whatever country wins being the top hockey nation because this tournament is by no means the big one.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:49 AM
Botta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
It's a single elimination tournament. So the usual suspects obviously got a chance of beating Canada. That said they are the favorites and anything else than a canadian win would be an upset.
Why? I am sure Sweden,Russia and the U.S. will give them a good fight

Old
12-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Huffman

The Canadian team does not look THAT strong considering there is a lockout. The last two drafts has been pretty thin on high end Canadian forwards, Huberdeau and RNH are exceptions, Scheifele and Strome are also good players but they have never been that impressive the few times I've watched them. Mackinnon is a sexy name but he is very young still. The D looks great though. SWE,RUS,USA and FIN can definitely beat this team.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:36 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King

vCash: 447
Canada is perhaps the favorite this year, but they are very beatable. On paper, goaltending should be good to go with Subban (first time in awhile), and the offense will have gamebreakers that they lacked the last two seasons.

The defense will probably be built around moving the puck quickly, but Murray's absence does create a hole. It will be up to Ouellet and Harrington to bring overall stability, and I would not be surprised if Hamilton will be asked to focus more on defense if he's paired with Rielly.

Two teams that scare me: Russia due to their ability to bury chances, and USA because of their balance.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Urgi

Sweden as a underdog.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:15 AM
SoundAndFury

I doubt Canadians will be all that impressive on the big ice. Canada usually looks awful in the WC despite all the talent they have and I expect more of the same in WJC. Obviously that won't be a problem against most of the teams but I will be quite surprised if Canada wins gold.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:21 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
I doubt Canadians will be all that impressive on the big ice. Canada usually looks awful in the WC despite all the talent they have and I expect more of the same in WJC. Obviously that won't be a problem against most of the teams but I will be quite surprised if Canada wins gold.
I do hope Canada focuses on bringing a fast team, they need quickness to keep up on big ice. MacKinnon should thrive, while Nugent-Hopkins will have tons of space to work his passing abilities. Thankfully, the defense, on paper, will be very mobile. I do not want them taking on guys who were built for the smaller ice on the back end.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
The size of the ice has nothing to do with it... as it was pointed out already several times, over the past decade Canada has won more gold on big European ice than any of the European teams. If Canada loses, it will not be because of the size of the ice, it will be just the fact that the other team(s) were better.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
this is the best team we have had in a long time and I do see us as the undisputed favorite to win. That being said and I want to make this VERY clear if we lose PLEASE don't start threads about whatever country wins being the top hockey nation because this tournament is by no means the big one.
This is a best on best tournament, so whoever wins has earned the right to call itself the best junior hockey nation in the World. These are the rules that have been carefully laid out in 100 million Canadian posts, so don't back away from it now. Canada clearly is a heavy favorite to win, but if they should somehow lose, they should graciously accept 2nd, 3rd, or 4th place, whichever the case may be. The title "No. 1" will last until the next season-ending NHL lockout, which should be in about 5 years.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:27 AM
tourlord*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post

Old
12-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

I think Russia has a great shot at winning the whole thing. With Slepyshev in the line up now, their top 6 is frightening.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:30 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
Canada certainly does have a problem playing on the bigger ice. IMO this is a scouting and coaching and practice issue. It'll be interesting to see if Brass comes in prepared or if they use the same old tired strategy that has failed us in the WC for 3 years (though I will say sometimes you just get bad luck).

As far as teams that can beat Canada? Russia, Sweden, US, Finland are always gamers, and the Swiss have our number. Also the Czechs and Slovaks are always up to play. We can be beaten by any team in the tournament.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:32 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:

Huberdeau-Nuge-Schiefele
Hudon-Strome-Mackinnon
Monahan-Jenner-Rattie
Wilson-Danault-Ritchie
Puempel

Hamilton-Reilly
Ouelette-Harrington
Murphy-Reinhart
Dumba
This guy:

Just look at all that swagger.

Closed Thread